2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LMFAO so umm where doe most students at the Joplin campus live
TBH mostly apartments in the area or houses. I lived in a house the whole time...for sure the most cost effective with roomates.

You can get pretty f'ing close to campus in jomo with a house...most the apartments are going to be a 10 to 15 min drive.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ll put in a plug for Webb City as well if you don’t like your options in Joplin. Some decent places here and only 15-17 min from campus, 10 minutes from “downtown.”

some people place value on being super close to campus but honestly any of you coming from a metro area should be used to a lot longer commutes than 15 min.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Was this eventually resolved for you? I also did not get a confirmation email
The confirmation of receipt of payment e-mail was sent to my junk mail of the e-mail I applied with, if that helps.

So I paid the last deposit about two weeks ago and my workday still hasn’t changed. I did receive an email receipt for the deposit. I waited a week and then sent admissions an email to verify and they said “we see your deposit and workday should be updated this week” that said, I just checked and my workday still shows it incomplete. I have a feeling there might be a manual process on the backend to make our payments show as complete. Either way, as long as you have a receipt for the payment I wouldn’t worry - though if you’re worried, email them, they are super responsive. Hope that helps!

I was just wondering, is there any way to petition to switch campuses or is that not allowed? I’m very happy that I got into Joplin but I have family in Kansas City so I was just wondering

I was just wondering, is there any way to petition to switch campuses or is that not allowed? I’m very happy that I got into Joplin but I have family in Kansas City so I was just wondering

Pretty sure decision is final at this point. There was one student in our class who switched after first year but I'm sure that required some weird personal circumstances. The school does seem to be becoming a little more lax about switching for 3rd year though. 10 of us got KC and there are a handful of KC students coming to Freeman.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure decision is final at this point. There was one student in our class who switched after first year but I'm sure that required some weird personal circumstances. The school does seem to be becoming a little more lax about switching for 3rd year though. 10 of us got KC and there are a handful of KC students coming to Freeman.
oh gotcha thanks! I was also wondering if KCU has rotations that we could do like across the country or are they all located in missouri? I know LECOM does I was just wondering if KCU does as well

oh gotcha thanks! I was also wondering if KCU has rotations that we could do like across the country or are they all located in missouri? I know LECOM does I was just wondering if KCU does as well
the clerkship sites are all online. You can google for specifics but Florida, Denver, San Jose, Fresno, Wichita are all out of state options. School also allows you to set up your own if you're well connected, which a few students did

Hi could any current Joplin students PM me?? I have a few questions about the school!! thanks so much :)

Honestly, how many start dates are there for the graduate program because I feel like I have gotten emails that their deadline for applying is approaching at least 10 times. The date is always changing. Just a little humor for those of us on the WL, hang in there! (WL’d since October)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to confirm is this the right FAFSA code for the Joplin campus. Tyia :)
1614913543964.png

• Love
Hi! I read previous comments about 3rd and 4th year rotations being close to Joplin itself. But I wanted to ask how do the current students like the quality of patients they see/work with? Thank you.

Joplin campus is "Rural based" but from what I have gathered so far about the campus is that its on the modern urban side?
Rural, eh. I have been in more isolating areas before. There are rural areas so rural medicine can be seen here. I think I so far have seen a lot of different patient cases so far in my rotations. Lots of different things come through in the time I have seen. Not a lot of residents mean you get to work with some, but still get to be "up close to the action". No complaints here

Can any current students speak to whether there is a required color of scrubs? Or if there are any specifics to know of in general? Thanks!

Can any current students speak to whether there is a required color of scrubs? Or if there are any specifics to know of in general? Thanks!

No required scrubs color. But I would recommend cheaper scrubs for anatomy lab because you will want to get rid of them after first year. Save your nicer scrubs for rotations. Some hospitals might have a scrubs color requirement but that is site dependent.

Off topic. But for those who live in Jopil, how long does amazon take to deliver things lol assuming I have the prime membership lol.

I live in a urban surburb and 50% of what i buy from amazon get delivered the next or the day after lol.

Still 2 days for prime shipping. We just got Amazon delivery people too for the area.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Off topic. But for those who live in Jopil, how long does amazon take to deliver things lol assuming I have the prime membership lol.

I live in a urban surburb and 50% of what i buy from amazon get delivered the next or the day after lol.
Asking the real questions lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Havent noticed any issues. the USPS has been the bigger delay these day...but thats nationally I believe.

• Love
No required scrubs color. But I would recommend cheaper scrubs for anatomy lab because you will want to get rid of them after first year. Save your nicer scrubs for rotations. Some hospitals might have a scrubs color requirement but that is site dependent.

Still 2 days for prime shipping. We just got Amazon delivery people too for the area.
just buy cheap ass scrubs imo.

With Match Day on March 19th and KCU posting their match outcomes online going back to 2012, when can we expect the 2021 match day list outcomes to be released? Do we know if they will specify specific campus outcomes or lump everyone together in one pool? Really looking forward to more information and I'm excited to see how Joplin's first class does.

Also, I briefly remember reading on an old thread somewhere that crime in Joplin is generally sequestered in one part of town despite their crime rate as being higher than the nation's normal. I don't expect it to be an issue, but could any current students speak on this?

With Match Day on March 19th and KCU posting their match outcomes online going back to 2012, when can we expect the 2021 match day list outcomes to be released? Do we know if they will specify specific campus outcomes or lump everyone together in one pool? Really looking forward to more information and I'm excited to see how Joplin's first class does.

Also, I briefly remember reading on an old thread somewhere that crime in Joplin is generally sequestered in one part of town despite their crime rate as being higher than the nation's normal. I don't expect it to be an issue, but could any current students speak on this?
From what I know, I believe the match list will be released a couple weeks after so don’t expect it right away. Honestly kcu could do either as in lump all together or per campus. I don’t really know since KCU is really just 1 medical school with 2 campus locations

In regards to crime rate. I haven’t had any issues nor have I really heard much of anything happening to anyone. Just make sure to lock your doors/windows etc and you should be fine!

I have lived in/ near Joplin my entire life and crime does not seem to be an issue.. I would avoid W. 7th street though.

I have lived in/ near Joplin my entire life and crime does not seem to be an issue.. I would avoid W. 7th street though.
I too saw the crime stats when I googled the city. They are slightly higher than the nation-wide average for crimes of petty theft, etc. Super low stats for violent crimes. This is pretty typical of rural cities in general. Although it is super funny that Joplin is "rural" b/c it is far bigger than most of the cities I grew up around in South central Iowa.

Interviewed 02/02. Waitlisted! Good luck everyone

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if KCU is still interviewing?

Accepted on portal! Interviewed 2/2!!! I legitimately sobbed at my desk at work here so...hopefully my coworkers don't think I'm insane 😂

Good luck to everyone else!!!!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!! So incredibly excited and grateful! I interviewed on 2/4! Thankfully I wasn't reading SDN and was oblivious (thanks to work) that it was the 5-week mark today haha Rooting for all of you still waiting on your decisions!! :biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
Got the acceptance email this evening. Interviewed 2/2. :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

I know we in 2021 have 3 urology matches and a couple opthamology matches in the jomo class. thats all I know for now outiside of the military match. Also airforce match...whew....good matches there. AF is matched at a lot of good MD programs fyi.

lol yeah there is some sketch **** in joplin mostly related to drugs. its a crossroads town...was on trauma surg a few months ago and I can tell you it was a busy experience. lots of MVAs given the highways relative to near medical centers. a couple GSWs a few stabbings among the 417 honkey gang. its amazing what you see in the ED at freeman.

I too saw the crime stats when I googled the city. They are slightly higher than the nation-wide average for crimes of petty theft, etc. Super low stats for violent crimes. This is pretty typical of rural cities in general. Although it is super funny that Joplin is "rural" b/c it is far bigger than most of the cities I grew up around in South central Iowa.
yeah also grew up super rural <2K jomo is a "big town to me" even though I lived in a big city for nearly a decade. Its a good town. the people are very nice. In many ways they judge people on that first interaction. for the big city folks seeing this...dont act like youre better than this area. You wanted to practice medicine...the SW MO area is in need of good doctors (and amazing pay FYI). crime stats are pretty petty overall. did trauma a few months ago and we had GSWs stabbings and a **** ton of MVAs.

Also another question, when will KCU send us our loan estimates etc? On FAFSA.gov it says that my application has already been transmitted to my university.
I wouldnt worry. If you submitted at the .gov end it will be just fine.

lol yeah there is some sketch **** in joplin mostly related to drugs. its a crossroads town...was on trauma surg a few months ago and I can tell you it was a busy experience. lots of MVAs given the highways relative to near medical centers. a couple GSWs a few stabbings among the 417 honkey gang. its amazing what you see in the ED at freeman.
Lol yeahhh.. I probably saw you at some point. I work in the ED 😉

Hey everyone! I was curious about research experience at the Joplin campus, as there seems to be more research opportunities at the KC campus. I found that Joplin partnered with MSSU to open a lab which is great news, but are there any other opportunities for research?

Hey everyone! I was curious about research experience at the Joplin campus, as there seems to be more research opportunities at the KC campus. I found that Joplin partnered with MSSU to open a lab which is great news, but are there any other opportunities for research?
There is some clinical-focused research going on with faculty members and also with your preceptors/other area physicians as you transition into clerkships. Basically, research isn't going to be handed to you on a platter but you can find it if you put in the work and show interest.

Withdrew my acceptance today, hope it goes to someone who really wants to be there!!

Admitted to Joplin! Good luck everyone! 🤞

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hi, does anyone know how full either of the campuses are already?

Hi, does anyone know how full either of the campuses are already?
Really rough estimate but FB page has ~120/160 est class size. A lot of people like me probably haven't joined yet though since waiting on other schools

Really rough estimate but FB page has ~120/160 est class size. A lot of people like me probably haven't joined yet though since waiting on other schools
I'm attending and am not joining FB solely because I don't have a FB anymore. Not sure how common that is nowadays, but throwing that out there.

Was accepted today to Joplin. 2/10 interview

I'm attending and am not joining FB solely because I don't have a FB anymore. Not sure how common that is nowadays, but throwing that out there.
Also admitted and I no longer have a Facebook so will not be joining either

Ah okay, it seems like facebook might not be as accurate then. But I interviewed recently and heard the post interview acceptance for KCU in general has been known to be high? I've heard in the 65% range, but also heard as high as 80%. This % corresponds to their previous years, even before Joplin opened. Has anyone heard of anything about the post acceptance rate for more recent cycles for KCU as a whole?