2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I rotate in Joplin and I have no complaints. I have been involved in a lot of different processes of Healthcare in each rotation. It's really what you make of it but you see a lot. As this area services a lot of rural places, the patient population is vast. Minimal residents means you get up close to the action.

I know classmates that went to other sites across the country for rotations and they are also happy.
Thanks for the reply. Can I dm you about something?

Members don't see this ad.

For the recent graduating class, has there been a trend in residency placement (rural vs urban, community vs academic) that people have matched into? I'm a big believer that students largely influence their placements through their commitment and academic/clinical success, but I don't want skim over whether one's medical school location plays a factor in selection. I saw the match list on KCU's website, but both campuses were lumped together.

@Successful Doge Investor I'm an incoming student who visited Joplin and didn't get a feeling of insecurity at gas stations or anywhere really during the daytime. The town felt really clean and surprisingly larger than what I was anticipating.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If any current student is selling their med kit pls DM me! Looking to pick up in July if possible.

For the recent graduating class, has there been a trend in residency placement (rural vs urban, community vs academic) that people have matched into? I'm a big believer that students largely influence their placements through their commitment and academic/clinical success, but I don't want skim over whether one's medical school location plays a factor in selection. I saw the match list on KCU's website, but both campuses were lumped together.
+1 interested in knowing as well

hey so is there any way to ask Joplin to refund a part of my deposit?

hey so is there any way to ask Joplin to refund a part of my deposit?
When we paid the deposit there was a statement that said deposits will not be refunded for any reason. Most DO schools have this statement. That money is gone :/

• Sad
What is the very last day to pay the tuition? and what happens if I haven't been able to secure my loan?

did we have to do anything on aacomas if KCU is the only DO school that we got into?

did we have to do anything on aacomas if KCU is the only DO school that we got into?
No. I tried and AACOMAS has already erased our info lol and welcomed me for a reapp (but you can still download your application).

Is anyone aware of any waitlist movement recently?
I just got the call that I got off the waitlist to Joplin this morning!! All the advice is welcome I have no idea what I need to get/do 😂 I’m from KC and I’ve never been to Joplin so what should I expect?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also my husband and I are looking for housing in Joplin, MO. We have a dog so it would have to be pet friendly but if anyone knows of any houses for rent let me know, please! I just got accepted today so I'm catching up on a lot lol.

Also my husband and I are looking for housing in Joplin, MO. We have a dog so it would have to be pet friendly but if anyone knows of any houses for rent let me know, please! I just got accepted today so I'm catching up on a lot lol.
Congrats! I would get in contact with a realtor. I talked to KW when I was looking and they gave me great recommendations for apartments (what I was looking for). I know tons of classmates renting houses. Lots of pet friendly options. And fairly affordable in terms of cost of living.

Welcome to Joplin!

Accepted off the WL today via email (Joplin Campus) and will be declining. Just wanted to post this so y’all know there is WL movement now. Good luck everyone!

Congrats! I would get in contact with a realtor. I talked to KW when I was looking and they gave me great recommendations for apartments (what I was looking for). I know tons of classmates renting houses. Lots of pet friendly options. And fairly affordable in terms of cost of living.

Welcome to Joplin!
That’s awesome! If you worked with someone in particular you recommend let me know! Thank you!

That’s awesome! If you worked with someone in particular you recommend let me know! Thank you!
Honestly it was almost 4 years ago (oh wow I am just realizing how long its been) so I might remember wrong. I believe his last name was Hale. He was at our accepted students day and his info was on the matriculation page when I was accepted. He gave me a good list after talking about my wants and needs in a place and had lots of options for people with families, pets, other needs.

Accepted off the WL today via email (Joplin Campus) and will be declining. Just wanted to post this so y’all know there is WL movement now. Good luck everyone!
If you don't mind me asking, why did you decline?

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decline?

I wasn’t too crazy about the administration and they said they were switching to a more Joplin-focused clinical rotation schedule and doing away with their out of state rotations (and flexibility) in the coming years.

Also, they had only 1 current student from Joplin during the interview day (compared to ~7 other Kansas City students) and I feel like they weren’t giving me the opportunity to inquire more about the program and life in Joplin.

Honestly, in the end the constant baiting every week to apply to their masters program was a turn off and I was ready to withdraw anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an email that I was accepted off the waitlist at Joplin. Currently accepted at another school and I have to let KCU know by Monday.

Reactions: 4 users
Recently committed to KCU-Joplin!!! If anyone knows any affordable housing available or still looking for a roommate DM me!

I wasn’t too crazy about the administration and they said they were switching to a more Joplin-focused clinical rotation schedule and doing away with their out of state rotations (and flexibility) in the coming years.

Also, they had only 1 current student from Joplin during the interview day (compared to ~7 other Kansas City students) and I feel like they weren’t giving me the opportunity to inquire more about the program and life in Joplin.

Honestly, in the end the constant baiting every week to apply to their masters program was a turn off and I was ready to withdraw anyways.
Could you elaborate a bit about the Joplin-focusing thing? I'm committed to KCU but that change worries me a bit ngl

Could you elaborate a bit about the Joplin-focusing thing? I'm committed to KCU but that change worries me a bit ngl
When I talked to a current student, they said KCU has clinical sites all across the US because they simply cannot fit their entire clinical class in KC and Joplin. However, they are supposedly working to strengthen their partnership with Freeman and Mercy to fit more students (since these hospitals are shared with other medical schools). In the coming years, their grand vision was to become significantly more Missouri focused. I think it’ll be good for the school to improve quality over time, but the flexibility won’t be as abundant as it is now for clinical exposures outside of Missouri (if you want that).

Reactions: 1 users
When I talked to a current student, they said KCU has clinical sites all across the US because they simply cannot fit their entire clinical class in KC and Joplin. However, they are supposedly working to strengthen their partnership with Freeman and Mercy to fit more students (since these hospitals are shared with other medical schools). In the coming years, their grand vision was to become significantly more Missouri focused. I think it’ll be good for the school to improve quality over time, but the flexibility won’t be as abundant as it is now for clinical exposures outside of Missouri (if you want that).
Are you specifically talking about third year? Or fourth year as well? During the accepted student day zoom session a while ago, I got the impression they allowed flexibility on rotations so you can tailor them to what you want

Are you specifically talking about third year? Or fourth year as well? During the accepted student day zoom session a while ago, I got the impression they allowed flexibility on rotations so you can tailor them to what you want
The current student said this was during third year, and as of now there is some flexibility but they are trying to change it for the future.

I'll be starting 3rd year in the fall. I don't know what the school's plans are for trying to increase spots for KC/Joplin local rotations. But I will say that there will likely always be an option to make your own rotation schedule. It might take more effort on your part, but in theory you just have to be at one place for 3rd year and have all the certified preceptors to cover core clerkships, a handful of students have done that.

Also most people will travel around 4th year anyway for subinternships and audition rotations. During 4th year is when you'll get the most exposure to variation across locations and settings because you are trying to figure out what kind of place best fits you. So worst case scenario you stay in Joplin/KC for 3rd year build up confidence and experience, then in 4th year do clerkships at places that you would be interested in for residency.

I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone aware of any waitlist movements? Please update......thanks!

Anyone here need a roommate? I’m starting July 12 and the rental house I had planned scammed me.

PM me! Thanks

A late comer here! Just got accepted to Joplin this morning, just in time for the orientation :) Anyone looking for a roommate or know any place that has availability? Please DM me :)

A late comer here! Just got accepted to Joplin this morning, just in time for the orientation :) Anyone looking for a roommate or know any place that has availability? Please DM me :)
Congratulations!

Congrats!! Right on time lol. Was it through phone or email?
Thank you! It was a phone call, the admissions office number and the director of admissions spoke to me :)

Congratulations!
Thank you so much!. I am still shaking. I was accepted to a different school previously and will be resending my admissions at the other school. Glad to be a part of someone else`s waitlist movement! :)

Thank you so much!. I am still shaking. I was accepted to a different school previously and will be resending my admissions at the other school. Glad to be a part of someone else`s waitlist movement! :)
Congrats! Dm me if you have any questions, I am a current 2nd year!

Hi everyone, I withdrew my app from Joplin on Friday and my house will be available for rent. The landlord has been great so far and I've been really happy with the place. 2 bed 2 bath about 4 minutes from campus. Shoot me a message if you're interested!

What time were you called at? And congrats!!
Around 9:45 am yesterday. Thank you! This is my dream school and was shedding bucket of tears being on WL. There is still hope, and people last cycle got calls up till the first day of class. Sending positive vibes for all my fellow WLed candidates to get such a call :)