2020-2021 Texas A&M Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baigern

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for this year's TAMCOD PBP application cycle so here's a thread for everyone that applied. Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this worth applying to if you aren't URM but fill all the other requirements? Historically do they ever accept ORM?

If anyone is in this program or knows more about it, I would appreciate the insight.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this worth applying to if you aren't URM but fill all the other requirements? Historically do they ever accept ORM?

If anyone is in this program or knows more about it, I would appreciate the insight.
I saw this response in a thread from 2018. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just applied last week! Anyone else?

Nice! when do you think we would hear back?
Correction:
2015 - Deadline was the 15th and interviews were sent on the 20th.

2016 - Deadline was the 14th and interviews were sent on the 23rd.

2018 - Deadline was the 12th and interviews were sent on the 21st.

We might start hearing back by the end of this week or the start of next week. Good luck to you!

I just got an email saying to call them in the next two days for more info regarding my application

I just got an email saying to call them in the next two days for more info regarding my application
Sounds like good news! do you mind sharing your stats and when you submitted you application

I received an interview invite. Overall GPA: 3.66, BCPM GPA: 3.63. DAT: AA 19, PA 20, QR 18, RC 19, BIO 17, GC 20, OC 21 and TS 19.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an interview invite. Overall GPA: 3.66, BCPM GPA: 3.63. DAT: AA 19, PA 20, QR 18, RC 19, BIO 17, GC 20, OC 21 and TS 19.
Congrats on the interview invite! Hopefully I get an email soon :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do y'all know if we keep the highest scores on our DATs? I met the requirement in all except bio and was wondering if I could just focus on that or would I have to meet the requirements again

Do y'all know if we keep the highest scores on our DATs? I met the requirement in all except bio and was wondering if I could just focus on that or would I have to meet the requirements again
I think the minimum for ochem is 18 or 19, you met the bare minimum for the other sections but unfortunately if you're lacking in one section, you'll have to retake the entire thing and make each section again, meaning you can just study for the ochem section and swap your scores. The program is great and its split into three parts. for you, the first part will be summer of 2019(may-June) 8-5 M-F for 6weeks.. if you've not met the DAT requirements you'll spend most of your day studying for the DAT. The afternoons will either be clinical stuff(Dental anatomy lecture which includes waxing and preps), a seminar or two, or more DAT studying. You'll be required to retake your DAT before the academic school year starts in August. If you dont meet the requirements then, you'll have till the first week of Jan2020 to retake it before you're officially kicked off the program. If you've met your DAT requirements before the summer, congratulations, you wont be studying for the DAT, but your presence is still mandatory, 8-5 M-F. you'll be doing other stuff, mainly teaching SAT to rising 12th graders.

I think there's only 1 round of interview invites so if you didn't get one is it safe to say you're rejected?

I think there's only 1 round of interview invites so if you didn't get one is it safe to say you're rejected?
I just emailed Ms. Sneed and they said they are still reviewing files.

I will be declining my interview offer because I got accepted into the dental school. Hope one of you guys gets an invite!

Reactions: 2 users
I will be declining my interview offer because I got accepted into the dental school. Hope one of you guys gets an invite!
Congratulations on your acceptance!

Just got my rejection email. Good luck to the rest of the applicants!

Edit: false alarm, it was just TAMCOD's rejection email

Last edited:
This is my second cycle applying to DDS, SPEP II and PBP and I've been only been ghosted so far. I really need a break! I heard from both programs that they were still reviewing files. It seems very quiet on this board, so maybe there's still a chance.

This is my second cycle applying to DDS, SPEP II and PBP and I've been only been ghosted so far. I really need a break! I heard from both programs that they were still reviewing files. It seems very quiet on this board, so maybe there's still a chance.
If anything we should hear back by the 27th.

SPEP is done selecting interviews. Ghosted again.

Nothing yet, but I’d assume no since decisions come out soon.

Well.. I had my interview on Monday and I would just say when applying to any program make sure you find out who is in charge and show interest way ahead of time so they know you want to get in badly before the application process starts. Also find out who has been in the program before and see if you can get any guidance from them. This program in particular you are essentially gaining a seat in next years A&M dental class, so whoever they pick they are putting a big investment in you and the program is tough so they want to make sure whoever is selected will meet the requirements. I personally started looking at this particular program since last year and started asking the office over this program questions and others who have been in the program/ the dental school ever since. My best advice is just don’t apply and your first point of contact with someone involved in the program be around when you are supposed to expect an interview invite. I’m waiting to hear back if I got in or not personally and I’ll be here to help others for the next time, God willing I get in this application cycle.

Been there and done that for the past two years. I have been in constant contact with Ms. Sneed and Ms. Villareal since November of 2018 the first time I realized I would not get a DDS interview and increasingly again before the DDS interviews were even completed. Believe me, both departments know full well my situation, inherent interest, and my limiting situation. I have spoken with people who went through the program and are in school now and know them well. Two years of regular contact and interest, updating and continuing to try to improve my application every way I possibly can, and I still turn up with nothing. I think my level of interest has very little to do with it.

I got in by God’s grace. If there is anyone else who did, I would love to connect with them.

I got in by God’s grace. If there is anyone else who did, I would love to connect with them.
Can you share with us what was the interview look like? And your stats. Thank you.

Three 15 min Interviews and a tour of the school. 3.1 GPA 2.8 sGPA 20 AA 21 TS 20 Bio 20 chem 23 ochem 21 RC 17 QR 22 PAT

Just got my rejection email today. Good luck to the rest of the applicants!

"Thank you for your interest in Texas A&M College of Dentistry’s 2020-2021 Post-Baccalaureate Program (PBP).

The PBP Selection Committee has selected individuals to interview for the PBP class. I regret to inform you that we cannot offer you an interview or a position in the program. The large number of applicants for a very limited number of positions leaves us with the unenviable task of informing many applicants of our final decision.

Please do not let this decision deter you from strengthening your application as you pursue other avenues for entry into dental school.

I wish you the best in all of your endeavors."

Three 15 min Interviews and a tour of the school. 3.1 GPA 2.8 sGPA 20 AA 21 TS 20 Bio 20 chem 23 ochem 21 RC 17 QR 22 PAT
What other aspects do you feel set you apart? Nontrad/ URM/ etc.

Rejected no interview (again). Baigern, what's your background? We have similar stats and I see you haven't had luck this cycle either.

Rejected no interview (again). Baigern, what's your background? We have similar stats and I see you haven't had luck this cycle either.
Exercise science major and bio minor. I'm applying to the UNT HSC 1 year masters program

Edit: I also plan on retaking my DAT for sure in the near future

Exercise science major and bio minor. I'm applying to the UNT HSC 1 year masters program

Edit: I also plan on retaking my DAT for sure in the near future
I had looked at that as well, but I can’t justify taking out $50k in more loans with no guarantee of acceptance. I can barely handle my student loans now, much less to more than double them.

What other aspects do you feel set you apart? Nontrad/ URM/ etc.

I am URM. I think it was really my great relationship with my professors and peers. With one professor who wrote my LOR, I had a D in their biochem 1 class and I was able to get an A in biochem 2 with the same professor. With my peers who are currently at A&M college of dentistry, I actually helped them a lot while we were in undergrad and they helped me too. So they knew and maybe gave the committee an idea that I could handle the rigor of this program and then in dental school. At the end of the day, I think it was just hard work on my end and the relationships I formed along the way in my academic journey that got me in.

I am applying to this year's (2021) Dental PBP, Does anyone know if letters of recommendation MUST be emailed directly in an envelope or can they emailed/submitted in a different way?