2020-2021 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any other high stat IS applicants not received a secondary? I've gotten secondaries from every other school I applied to and my app was processed June 13th.
I am also IS and haven’t received mine from them. Have also received one from every other school applied

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning around 7am.

IS, ORM, stats in my signature below. Complete 9/2

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary submitted 9/8, II this morning, they let you choose between several different Wednesday’s

Interview invite received this morning! IS

II received :) Application completed 9/8. OOS but close ties.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do y’all think reaching out to admissions by email would speed up the secondary-receiving process? Or is that overkill? IS, 511, 3.57c/3.82sGPA

Submitted my secondary at midnight so I'm hoping for the same quick turnaround as some of y'all lol.

II received this morning! Submitted my secondary yesterday night around 11pm lol. I'm wondering if they actually read through our secondaries before sending the IIs or if it's automatic... either way, not complaining! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
II this AM as well after submitting at 1am lmaoooo IM NOT FIGHTING IT

• Haha
Looks like its Wednesdays. Earliest is October 7. You find out ~ 1 week later.

Has anyone not received a secondary that interviewed here last year? I thought I would definitely get a secondary since I went as far as to interview for last cycle, but some of my friends who submitted their primary after me have already received secondaries.

II this AM, sent secondary over the weekend! I got the 10/28 slot which was the earliest available. First interview and I am just bursting with excitement

II received! OOS reapplicant was on the waitlist last year so fingers crossed for this one!

Hi everyone! M1 here, and a year ago I was in your exact shoes. Feel free to private message me if you need any advice or even if you need some reassurance.

RD Interview done last week and the results are in.

“The committee has completed their assessment of your application and they have assigned your application an overall committee score. While we are not able to make you an offer of admission at this time, your application will remain under active consideration and you may still receive an offer prior to the conclusion of our interview season.”

Waiting game now!

RD Interview done last week and the results are in.

“The committee has completed their assessment of your application and they have assigned your application an overall committee score. While we are not able to make you an offer of admission at this time, your application will remain under active consideration and you may still receive an offer prior to the conclusion of our interview season.”

Waiting game now!

Apparently they say all decisions go out a week from your interview, except for people before October 15th! (Bc they can't make offers before then per AAMC)

Reactions: 3 users
Apparently they say all decisions go out a week from your interview, except for people before October 15th! (Bc they can't make offers before then per AAMC)
Mine was the first interview during ED interviews on 23rd.
As per the wording I am assuming it is on hold.

Last edited:
To those that have interviewed already, did you find the interview format to be pretty standard and expected (based on their schedule and details)?

Best of luck to you all!

To those that have interviewed already, did you find the interview format to be pretty standard and expected (based on their schedule and details)?

Best of luck to you all!
Yes very relaxed and straight forward.

Im IS and didn’t even get as secondary.

I have a friend that never got a secondary, called, got a secondary, got an II the next day, and is now an M3. sooooo if you believe you should have gotten a secondary bc of your stats being in/above their range, I'd call.

Best of luck to you all!

my first interview was so relaxed I think they literally asked me one direct question, second was more standard and what you’ll see on here. But everyone was super nice and encouraging, don’t stress!!

Stoked to have received my first II from USC! But the next available interview dates are in February... did anyone who recently received their II experience this too?

Last edited:
my first interview was so relaxed I think they literally asked me one direct question, second was more standard and what you’ll see on here. But everyone was super nice and encouraging, don’t stress!!

@cmc22 Thanks! Did you have anything similar to an MMI experience or an ethics-focused portion? I didn't see anything like that specified in the schedule, but I know most schools like to incorporate that type of thing.

Wishing you best of luck when you hear back!

Stoked to have received my first II from USC! But the next available interview dates are in February... did anyone who recently received their II experience this too?

I think with the whole rolling admissions process, USC Columbia seems to have been giving out a lot of IIs lately. I received my II on 9/11 - the day after submitting my secondary - and the earliest interview date at the time was 10/7. I think they're only doing it on Wednesday's too, so that might be limiting the availability of their interview dates.

@cmc22 Thanks! Did you have anything similar to an MMI experience or an ethics-focused portion? I didn't see anything like that specified in the schedule, but I know most schools like to incorporate that type of thing.

Wishing you best of luck when you hear back!
No very straight forward and just like the questions you’ll see on here, mostly like tell me about yourself/your activities/weakness in your app and then ask if you have questions.

Yes no surprises at all in the interview.. very comfortable and straight forward questions!
Good luck!

Hey I know you all are still in the interview phase. I am a current M1 and went through the interview cycle twice with USC. If you have any questions about interviews or the school I am happy to help. I did want to give some insight into the process if you haven't picked it up from previous years posts. Basically once you interview most of you will have to wait until march when the waitlist goes out. That is not a bad thing. Most of the class is actually from the waitlist, there are really only a few of us that weren't waitlisted. Even my significant other who had perfect stats and honestly is the perfect applicant was on the OOS waitlist, and I had similar stats. I applied both IS and OOS, was waitlisted both times. The waitlist is separated into thirds (first time I was top third OOS, second time I was bottom third IS). Like I said MOST of the class is from the waitlist. Other than that, hang in there you will one day be a physician good luck to you all.

Hey I know you all are still in the interview phase. I am a current M1 and went through the interview cycle twice with USC. If you have any questions about interviews or the school I am happy to help. I did want to give some insight into the process if you haven't picked it up from previous years posts. Basically once you interview most of you will have to wait until march when the waitlist goes out. That is not a bad thing. Most of the class is actually from the waitlist, there are really only a few of us that weren't waitlisted. Even my significant other who had perfect stats and honestly is the perfect applicant was on the OOS waitlist, and I had similar stats. I applied both IS and OOS, was waitlisted both times. The waitlist is separated into thirds (first time I was top third OOS, second time I was bottom third IS). Like I said MOST of the class is from the waitlist. Other than that, hang in there you will one day be a physician good luck to you all.
How do we know where we are on the waitlist ?

Hey can you speak to some of what you like and don't like about USC?

Thanks for the insight! So basically, the response we'll hear back from them in a week is either accepted or under further review, which is basically leading up to waitlist in March. For this school, do they ever go back to previous interview months and accept students that weren't initially accepted after their interview?

Thanks for the insight! So basically, the response we'll hear back from them in a week is either accepted or under further review, which is basically leading up to waitlist in March. For this school, do they ever go back to previous interview months and accept students that weren't initially accepted after their interview?

So as far as I can tell they do go back previous months. The way they do it is they rank you the day of your interview and you go on a list, and the top of that list gets accepted each week. Usually its 2-3 get accepted each week (2 in state 1 out of state) from that interview week, and by the end of it all they are able to fill the class that way. You after your interview will get a letter that says something along the lines of accepted, denied, or "we will consider your application at a further date". That hold letter is not the waitlist, which is kinda confusing. From my experience most people that get the hold letter wont actually hear until the waitlist goes out, but some can depending how good their interview/application was. And the "good" is generally people that rank higher than the previous years rank for the class. so like if the average is 7/10 they will accept you if the board scores you at 8/10 or something (i'm not 100 percent sure that's the actual ranking, but my mentor who was previously on the board explained it to me that way).

For eagles doc, in March/April time frame Shelley will send an email notifying you of your placement on the waitlist. This is usually after a large round of acceptances. Then, once again from my experience, there is a LARGE acceptance about a week after the waitlist goes up because people get acceptances to other schools that they would prefer.

Hey can you speak to some of what you like and don't like about USC?

In general, most medical schools are the same education wise. With that said, our new curriculum is great. Most days we are done with class by 12 which gives us the opportunity to study all day. One top of that they flow in which it is taught is helpful for retention and I honestly haven't felt completely overwhelmed the whole time. I like the ultrasound stuff, but due to COVID we aren't having the opportunity to use the Ultrasound lab and practice it. We have a really nice Ultrasound lab, that I am sure you will tour on an interview. I appreciate that they have made sure that we still have access to the anatomy lab. I do have a friend at another school that they are missing out of lab this year and I think that is a great disservice. We do have a Florence program my significant other is in, and its really great for people that want to do hands on stuff. They are getting the opportunity to first assist in surgeries and actually deliver babies. Which I think is invaluable. Downside is you have to move to Florence, but there is a lot to do there. I can't really tell you much about the student body, because we haven't really had the chance to make a lot of friends due to COVID. But generally everyone is pretty nice and supportive except the few gunners like every class has. The staff seems to really care for the students, and seem to listen to what we would like changed. I honestly don't have anything that I dislike about the school. I get frustrated at scheduling sometimes with our ICM course, but that's just part of any medical school. I hope that helps.

So as far as I can tell they do go back previous months. The way they do it is they rank you the day of your interview and you go on a list, and the top of that list gets accepted each week. Usually its 2-3 get accepted each week (2 in state 1 out of state) from that interview week, and by the end of it all they are able to fill the class that way. You after your interview will get a letter that says something along the lines of accepted, denied, or "we will consider your application at a further date". That hold letter is not the waitlist, which is kinda confusing. From my experience most people that get the hold letter wont actually hear until the waitlist goes out, but some can depending how good their interview/application was. And the "good" is generally people that rank higher than the previous years rank for the class. so like if the average is 7/10 they will accept you if the board scores you at 8/10 or something (i'm not 100 percent sure that's the actual ranking, but my mentor who was previously on the board explained it to me that way).

For eagles doc, in March/April time frame Shelley will send an email notifying you of your placement on the waitlist. This is usually after a large round of acceptances. Then, once again from my experience, there is a LARGE acceptance about a week after the waitlist goes up because people get acceptances to other schools that they would prefer.

Hi! So today I got the "will consider at a later date" email. So does that mean I really won't hear again until March? Or do they sometimes accept people like a month later?

Just received my acceptance! They emailed you to call the office

Reactions: 4 users
I just got accepted!!!! So pumped

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone getting accepted!! II this morning!

First acceptance of the cycle!!!! OOS but close ties to SC :)

Got straight up rejected today :(. I expected to be waitlisted because my stats lined up with friends who had gotten in before. Hurt is an understatement. I thought I did really well on the interview. Anyone have any idea what could cause an instant rejection like that? Congrats to everyone that got in!