2020-2021 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone getting accepted!! II this morning!
If you don't mind me asking when is your interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone accepted -- do you know if we're supposed to pay any deposit? The letter only says a seat fee in May, but when you accept the offer, a "deposit fee" tab appears

Anyone accepted -- do you know if we're supposed to pay any deposit? The letter only says a seat fee in May, but when you accept the offer, a "deposit fee" tab appears
I saw that too, but no I don't think so. they only mention the seat fee so I wouldn't pay

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking when is your interview?

No problem! My interveiw is actually the beginning of February 2021. When you get an invitation, it takes you to an online calendar in the supplementary application portal that lets you pick a date. Everything before that was greyed out/unavailable. I am assuming it is because they only interview on Wednesdays. I got one of the last few February spots and the rest were in March! I hope that helps! Goodluck!!!

No problem! My interveiw is actually the beginning of February 2021. When you get an invitation, it takes you to an online calendar in the supplementary application portal that lets you pick a date. Everything before that was greyed out/unavailable. I am assuming it is because they only interview on Wednesdays. I got one of the last few February spots and the rest were in March! I hope that helps! Goodluck!!!
Thank you!!

Does accepting that offer obligate you to attend? i.e. Does USC Columbia use the "Choose Your Medical School Tool" on AMCAS or does that offer decision in AMP control?

Does accepting that offer obligate you to attend? i.e. Does USC Columbia use the "Choose Your Medical School Tool" on AMCAS or does that offer decision in AMP control?
On their website under "application timeline", it lists the dates for the AMCAS tool, so I'm assuming they use it. It also says that the $250 seat fee is due when you select "commit to enroll", so I think accepting this offer of admission is non-binding until you make your final decision on April 30.

Reactions: 1 users
On their website under "application timeline", it lists the dates for the AMCAS tool, so I'm assuming they use it. It also says that the $250 seat fee is due when you select "commit to enroll", so I think accepting this offer of admission is non-binding until you make your final decision on April 30.
Yeah this is what I was assuming to, bc there was also a date for the Choose your med school tool for like april

Hi! So today I got the "will consider at a later date" email. So does that mean I really won't hear again until March? Or do they sometimes accept people like a month later?
I know this isn't the answer that you want to hear but, honestly it depends. If you got "highly rated" I believe that you are more likely to get in before March, but I still wouldn't expect anything before then. It also depends on if you are OOS or IS. I believe that IS students are more likely to hear more quickly just based on the shear amount of people that get accepted IS vs OOS. So in short, just wait it out and pray the day come sooner but don't give up. I had friends at the bottom third instate last year and they are in my class.

If I remember correctly I think you have to pay the fee, but it is refundable until traffic day. not 100 percent certain though.

I know this isn't the answer that you want to hear but, honestly it depends. If you got "highly rated" I believe that you are more likely to get in before March, but I still wouldn't expect anything before then. It also depends on if you are OOS or IS. I believe that IS students are more likely to hear more quickly just based on the shear amount of people that get accepted IS vs OOS. So in short, just wait it out and pray the day come sooner but don't give up. I had friends at the bottom third instate last year and they are in my class.

Yeah mine doesn't say the word highly rated. Guess alumni status means poop.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I interviewed yesterday and they just sent me an email to call, and I got accepted! I’m so excited y’all!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I got the email and called around 10:00 AM EST. Accepted as well; interviewed yesterday as well :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all acceptances. Best of luck to those who are waiting.

current student here. Happy to answer questions anyone has.

Congrats to all acceptances. Best of luck to those who are waiting.

current student here. Happy to answer questions anyone has.
Can you please list what kind of questions you were asked during your interview? My top three that I am banking on be asked are:
1. Tell me about yourself?
2. Why do you want to be a MD?
3. Why do you want to go to USC SOM- Columbia?

Thanks!

From what I understand, there are some standard issue questions, but each interviewer can ask whatever they want.
Their goal is to advocate for you. It does not feel like an interrogation. More like a “beer talk.”

Some questions I remember were:

1) What do you want me to tell the committee about why we should accept you?

2) I noticed _______ on your application. Tell me about that!

3) What do you do for fun / self care?

4) In your personal statement you talk about _______. How do you think this prepares you for a career as a physician?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the email/call accepted I’m so incredibly excited!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Got the email yesterday morning to call and accepted! Those who got accepted, how long was it before you got a follow-up email with the next steps?

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah mine doesn't say the word highly rated. Guess alumni status means poop.
I didn’t get highly rated the second time I applied and got in, but I was highly rated the first time. So IDK how much it really means.

I didn’t get highly rated the second time I applied and got in, but I was highly rated the first time. So IDK how much it really means.
This goes for me, as well. Did not get highly rated. Waitlisted at bottom 1/3, got accepted June 20th.

Not necessarily. I received a call on a Friday.

Cant wait to have you on board. The new curriculum is amazing. Best staff in the world too.

can you give some more details about the curriculum and how it's different? i don't know anyone who's currently a student at this school so i feel a bit out of the loop lol

can you give some more details about the curriculum and how it's different? i don't know anyone who's currently a student at this school so i feel a bit out of the loop lol

Absolutely. I will do my best to summarize:

In previous years, the curriculum had you taking multiple classes with multiple disciplines. Example: 1st semester of 1st year was anatomy, biochemistry, histology, and clinical medicine.

However this year, anatomy and histology are one class, and neuroanatomy and embryology are lumped in there as well.

The main idea is that they’ve condensed and streamlined the whole process. It’s more intuitive and efficient. Leaves us with lots of time to pursue research and leadership (as well as self care)

Reactions: 4 users
Absolutely. I will do my best to summarize:

In previous years, the curriculum had you taking multiple classes with multiple disciplines. Example: 1st semester of 1st year was anatomy, biochemistry, histology, and clinical medicine.

However this year, anatomy and histology are one class, and neuroanatomy and embryology are lumped in there as well.

The main idea is that they’ve condensed and streamlined the whole process. It’s more intuitive and efficient. Leaves us with lots of time to pursue research and leadership (as well as self care)

thanks for clarifying, that sounds like a significant improvement! anything else you like about this school in particular?

thanks for clarifying, that sounds like a significant improvement! anything else you like about this school in particular?

This is just personal opinion, of course. Each student / prospective student will have a different experience.

One thing that particularly stands out is the friendliness of every single faculty member — professors, admin, and support. We have an abundance of academic support sessions for every subject, which helps clarify what the main takeaways are from each week of classes. Our teachers adopt a Socratic method and use this to actively engage us in the lesson. Our professors post numerous resources to help with making material stick, and that is a huge bonus as well.

It really feels like a family at the school. Each professor and faculty member literally has an open door policy. If you see them in the hallway, or in their office, they are always happy to help you with anything - and they are really good at it.

Other things worth mentioning is that our school tends to offer students who are great at people skills and emotionally mature. You don’t feel excluded from groups and everyone invites you over to the anatomy table or library room. We have some great students here.

There is only one negative: parking. While not as bad as some schools (like MUSC), there is limited parking for students. Luckily it is not a problem during this pandemic.

• Love
I just got an acceptance and am very excited! I'm looking forward to starting next year

Reactions: 2 users
This is just personal opinion, of course. Each student / prospective student will have a different experience.

One thing that particularly stands out is the friendliness of every single faculty member — professors, admin, and support. We have an abundance of academic support sessions for every subject, which helps clarify what the main takeaways are from each week of classes. Our teachers adopt a Socratic method and use this to actively engage us in the lesson. Our professors post numerous resources to help with making material stick, and that is a huge bonus as well.

It really feels like a family at the school. Each professor and faculty member literally has an open door policy. If you see them in the hallway, or in their office, they are always happy to help you with anything - and they are really good at it.

Other things worth mentioning is that our school tends to offer students who are great at people skills and emotionally mature. You don’t feel excluded from groups and everyone invites you over to the anatomy table or library room. We have some great students here.

There is only one negative: parking. While not as bad as some schools (like MUSC), there is limited parking for students. Luckily it is not a problem during this pandemic.

i really appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed reply! admittedly i don't know much about this school but it seems underrated, i'm getting a diamond in the rough type of vibe from it lol

my interview is coming up soon and i'm really looking forward to it, thanks for sharing your thoughts

i really appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed reply! admittedly i don't know much about this school but it seems underrated, i'm getting a diamond in the rough type of vibe from it lol

my interview is coming up soon and i'm really looking forward to it, thanks for sharing your thoughts

That is exactly the way to describe it.

Does anyone have any advice for getting off of the interview waitlist? I received an interview invitation but all of the time slots are full for this year. They said if a spot opens up they would email me but what are the odds someone cancels??

thanks!

Does anyone have any advice for getting off of the interview waitlist? I received an interview invitation but all of the time slots are full for this year. They said if a spot opens up they would email me but what are the odds someone cancels??

thanks!

i'm surprised they're already full when it's not even december yet, but maybe that's standard procedure for them

i'm surprised they're already full when it's not even december yet, but maybe that's standard procedure for them
I got my II in the beginning of October and had to schedule it for March. They only interview once a week

I got my II in the beginning of October and had to schedule it for March. They only interview once a week
The problem this year is that a lot of MCAT dates got pushed back really far.

There were people who reapplied who already had their MCAT and they got first priority in the interview slots.

Those that took the test in August or later ended up in a bad position.

edit: this is my own speculation. From what it seems, many people delayed submitting their primaries due to not having a single MCAT

Last edited:
once a week sounds more than what greenville does, and yet greenville's still sending out II's? or am i getting something mixed up

and for the record, my II was in late september and the earliest I could get was january, so maybe it did just fill up really fast

once a week sounds more than what greenville does, and yet greenville's still sending out II's? or am i getting something mixed up

and for the record, my II was in late september and the earliest I could get was january, so maybe it did just fill up really fast
Lol yeah that’s a good question. I got my II from Greenville after Columbia and was scheduled 2 weeks from that day. So I think you’re right maybe Columbia sent out a lot of IIs out at once or something cause that’s odd.

The problem this year is that a lot of MCAT dates got pushed back really far.

There were people who reapplied who already had their MCAT and they got first priority in the interview slots.

Those that took the test in August or later ended up in a bad position.

edit: this is my own speculation. From what it seems, many people delayed submitting their primaries due to not having a single MCAT
That makes sense I was one of those unfortunate ppl that took the MCAT in august.

Because of the discrepancy in certain schools filling up interview slots faster than others, I suspect there will be a late outflux of emails inviting those on hold.

I am considering calling the admissions office to plead my case, but I am unsure if it will help. I want to be patient and wait for a spot to open up, but how long should I wait before getting nervous? This all seems very unusual to me

I am considering calling the admissions office to plead my case, but I am unsure if it will help. I want to be patient and wait for a spot to open up, but how long should I wait before getting nervous? This all seems very unusual to me
Are you already on the interview waitlist? If so, I wouldn’t demand anything. Just ask what order in the queue you are.

I would email shelley. If they invited you to an interview they should have a slot for you. Unless they changed it somehow.

For those who were accepted, did y'all pay the seat deposit? or did you just click the button that said "I accept this offer of admission"? and are waiting until later to pay?