2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi :) Congrats on all your secondaries!

I'm applying this cycle as well, but my friend and I both wrote completely new essays for the research section. My research experience meant a lot to me and was a big part of my undergrad career, so I was really grateful they gave me the opportunity to expand on it in a 500 W essay. I'm sure you won't look dumb rewriting the research essay. In fact, if you've volunteered and conducted research before in multiple settings, you'll have no problem writing up another essay in a short period of time.

Hope that helps and good luck~

Edit: Sorry I should've also added that the prompt specifically asks for why the research experience was "valuable" to you, so perhaps you can focus on one or two aspects from your many research experiences that meant the most to you and played a role in your decision to pursue medicine... or you can talk about how you learned the importance of having a public health perspective as you pursue medicine, etc.

If others think I'm wrong, please feel free to disagree!!

Thank you for this advice and your perspective, this inspired me to take a deeper dive into them compared to what I wrote for the primary application. Good luck to you as well and stay healthy!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received about an hour ago. Questions are basically the same as last year:
  1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (500 words)
  2. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you? (500 words)
  3. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP? (500 words)
  4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 words)
  5. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.). (500 words)
@PapaGuava
Just to clarify: is this for Western - Pomona? Thanks!

Thank you for this advice and your perspective, this inspired me to take a deeper dive into them compared to what I wrote for the primary application. Good luck to you as well and stay healthy!
Yay! I'm glad :) you as well!

Just to clarify: is this for Western - Pomona? Thanks!
Yes, those prompts are for the Pomona campus. The Lebanon campus prompts can be found here: 2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm preparing to submit my secondary, but am wondering about the last essay question. It asks, "Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.)." I don't really have any of these or other red flags on my app, but it seems like you have to write something to be able to submit. Does anybody have a way to answer this question that doesn't make me sound like I think I'm perfect? "I have no extenuating circumstances or inconsistencies to report" sounds.... strange.

I'm preparing to submit my secondary, but am wondering about the last essay question. It asks, "Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.)." I don't really have any of these or other red flags on my app, but it seems like you have to write something to be able to submit. Does anybody have a way to answer this question that doesn't make me sound like I think I'm perfect? "I have no extenuating circumstances or inconsistencies to report" sounds.... strange.
Write N/A

Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompt:
What do they mean by “my specific interest” in the third secondary prompt? TIA

I think they want to hear an answer that's unique to you, meaning reflective of your interests/experiences. For example, saying you want to live in southern California wouldn't really answer the question. Instead, you could say you've grown up in southern California and are committed to serving the area when you are a physician, and this aspiration is part of what prompted you to apply to Western. This is how I approached the question, anyway.

To add to diligent_salt's comment, think of it as a, "Why COMP?" essay. What unique programs/clubs/opportunities does COMP offer that align with your interests that no other school offers?

I was told by adcom to think of #3 as answering why you chose this school (about the school) and #4 is about why the school should choose you (about you).

Hope that helps!

I think they want to hear an answer that's unique to you, meaning reflective of your interests/experiences. For example, saying you want to live in southern California wouldn't really answer the question. Instead, you could say you've grown up in southern California and are committed to serving the area when you are a physician, and this aspiration is part of what prompted you to apply to Western. This is how I approached the question, anyway.
Thank you Hopefulpremed123 and diligent_salt, I had thought it was referring to residency interest.

For the "Physician Shadowing" section and follow up essay question, should we literally just stick to shadowing or can we also include other clinical experiences (e.g. scribing, since that is basically shadowing and then some)? I feel like its more valuable than just shadowing (for me anyway) since I have thousands of hours scribing versus 40 hours "shadowing" officially. Thoughts?

I was wondering the same. What did you end up doing?

Hi guys! Western just received my MCAT scores and next to it says "Prospect List"

Do you guys know what this means?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Western just received my MCAT scores and next to it says "Prospect List"

Do you guys know what this means?
Not sure what your score was, but I think they gave a certain cut off they use for screening. I had that on my application cycle last year as I had a score above their average MCAT score. So I think that’s what it could mean but I’m not sure. It may also just be something everyone gets? Not sure to be honest.

Not sure what your score was, but I think they gave a certain cut off they use for screening. I had that on my application cycle last year as I had a score above their average MCAT score. So I think that’s what it could mean but I’m not sure. It may also just be something everyone gets? Not sure to be honest.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for your response

I have a few spread out withdrawal classes (non-science) on my transcript.
Does it look bad if I just explain that I withdrew from the class because I wasn't interested in it? Or does it have to be a legitimate excuse like caring for a sick family member?

Here's a little hope for people who haven't received their secondary yet. I submitted on 6/22 and didn't receive one yet but I emailed the school and basically requested a secondary (ya i know lol how desperate). People who submitted after me got one and I haven't yet. I assumed I was filtered out. The guy emailed back and they haven't made a decision on my application yet. Hold tight guys your time will come!!!!

Here's a little hope for people who haven't received their secondary yet. I submitted on 6/22 and didn't receive one yet but I emailed the school and basically requested a secondary (ya i know lol how desperate). People who submitted after me got one and I haven't yet. I assumed I was filtered out. The guy emailed back and they haven't made a decision on my application yet. Hold tight guys your time will come!!!!
hm that makes me think that they do some kind of screening then since they "haven't made a decision"

Hi y'all, so I have done about 500 hours as a research assistant however I do not have any publications? Any idea as to what I can include in the research section? I have a lab journal in which I document everything that I do but I don't know if that's useful at all because it just says things like (loaded x microliters in Well #1, ran cobalt column with X protein, etc.). Any idea as to what I can include or what they are looking for?

Hi y'all, so I have done about 500 hours as a research assistant however I do not have any publications? Any idea as to what I can include in the research section? I have a lab journal in which I document everything that I do but I don't know if that's useful at all because it just says things like (loaded x microliters in Well #1, ran cobalt column with X protein, etc.). Any idea as to what I can include or what they are looking for?

Posters? Abstracts? Any reports you wrote just for internal use?

hm that makes me think that they do some kind of screening then since they "haven't made a decision"
He said that more competitive applicants get it first and obvious they proceed from there.

I just found out about the 10 day deadline for COMP and will be submitting today, on my 14th day. Is this going to put me at a big disadvantage? Super worried

Last edited:
I just found out about the 10 day deadline for COMP and will be submitting today, on my 14th day. Is this going to put me at a big disadvantage? Super worried

Same actually. I don’t think it’s a deadline though, just a suggestion to get your stuff processed fast. There was no clear “you must submit everything within 10 days”, it was buried in that web page they linked. I’m submitting this morning too, on my 14th day. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Same actually. I don’t think it’s a deadline though, just a suggestion to get your stuff processed fast. There was no clear “you must submit everything within 10 days”, it was buried in that web page they linked. I’m submitting this morning too, on my 14th day. Good luck!
Where did you find this suggestion?

You legit just gave me a heart attack. I need to get this done

Has anybodys secondary been forwarded to the admissions committee. I submitted my secondary two weeks ago and it still says once everything is verified it will be forwarded for a decision. I have everything marked with a green checkmark though?

Where did you find this suggestion?

on their website. In their FAQs it says the following:

Question 9: Can I submit my secondary application after the 10-day deadline?

Yes. However, it is highly recommended that you submit your application as early as possible. Submitting your application later may result in delayed processing. The committee will not review your file until all required documents have been received. Since we interview and offer acceptances on a rolling basis beginning in September, it is definitely to your advantage to submit your application and all supporting documents to us within the 10-day time frame.

I was confused though because they also said this which almost made it seem like a deadline:

You will have 10 days to electronically file your secondary application. Secondary applications filed after 10 days may result in a delay in processing your application.

You legit just gave me a heart attack. I need to get this done

I had a heart attack last night whenI found out but I think we’ll be okay. Seems like more of a recommended suggestion

thank you for this! Made me feel better :) best of luck!!

Quick Question! I just sent my secondary 7/6 but it says my MCAT score hasn’t been received from AACOMAS but I haven’t take my MCAT yet and have my planned MCAT date in the AACOMAS app. Is anyone else having the same issue? Does anyone know what I should do? I emailed them but haven’t heard back.

@ current students or anyone who knows what's up. In the secondary there is a section for "Shadowing" but then in the application proof it is displayed as "Clinical Experience". Did you guys just put shadowing in here or all clinical experiences? Thanks!

@ current students or anyone who knows what's up. In the secondary there is a section for "Shadowing" but then in the application proof it is displayed as "Clinical Experience". Did you guys just put shadowing in here or all clinical experiences? Thanks!
Also - I'm a Canadian student so hopefully they realize shadowing is not really a thing here. The only reason I was able to shadow was because I was already scribing for this one doc. Looks pretty bad with one shadowing entry compared to all you lucky ducks.

Also - I'm a Canadian student so hopefully they realize shadowing is not really a thing here. The only reason I was able to shadow was because I was already scribing for this one doc. Looks pretty bad with one shadowing entry compared to all you lucky ducks.
Hi current student here. If the question asked for shadowing then you need to write about shadowing. In your case I would spin in it a way where you show them “hey I didn’t have a lot of opportunity but I did this instead that was pretty close”, like for example your scribing experience. But I would not include any other type of clinical experience since the secondary is specifically asking for shadowing. Hope this helps!!

Just write about your scribing, but focus on the “shadowing” aspect of it. That’ll be perfect.

Quick Question! I just sent my secondary 7/6 but it says my MCAT score hasn’t been received from AACOMAS but I haven’t take my MCAT yet and have my planned MCAT date in the AACOMAS app. Is anyone else having the same issue? Does anyone know what I should do? I emailed them but haven’t heard back.
Hey there, I am in the same boat. Have a scheduled MCAT date but won't get scores until end of August. When I received the secondary app, there was a statement in the email pertaining to pending MCAT scores:
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 6.57.39 AM.png

My guess is they'll still review the application and consider students with pending MCAT scores for interviews but final admissions decisions will be made after receiving the score. Hope this helps!

Hey! Quick question, Before submitting Western's primary app, under the "questions" section it asks "Have you ever taken coursework for pass/no pass or narrative evaluation". Does this include classes that have been taken for CR/NC?

Hey there, I am in the same boat. Have a scheduled MCAT date but won't get scores until end of August. When I received the secondary app, there was a statement in the email pertaining to pending MCAT scores:
View attachment 312316
My guess is they'll still review the application and consider students with pending MCAT scores for interviews but final admissions decisions will be made after receiving the score. Hope this helps!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing haha hopefully it works out!

Hey! Quick question, Before submitting Western's primary app, under the "questions" section it asks "Have you ever taken coursework for pass/no pass or narrative evaluation". Does this include classes that have been taken for CR/NC?

I personally thought P/NP = CR/NC so I personally said yes just to be on the safe side.

Does anyone know if they heavily favor IS? Deciding if I want to apply here as a TX resident.

Does anyone know if they heavily favor IS? Deciding if I want to apply here as a TX resident.
As a private school, I imagine they don't technically favor IS, but per their website 87% of their entering class are CA residents. I'd chalk this at least partially up to the fact that it's so difficult for CA residents to stay in CA for MD, so some that don't want to leave choose in-state DO.

As a private school, I imagine they don't technically favor IS, but per their website 87% of their entering class are CA residents. I'd chalk this at least partially up to the fact that it's so difficult for CA residents to stay in CA for MD, so some that don't want to leave choose in-state DO.

I really like the school but with 87% IS students, I'm leaning toward spending the money somewhere else

Does anyone know when they should start sending out IIs? I've been complete since 6/26.

Anyone else running into the issue that their research is not currently published but in the process of being reviewed? I don't have permission to share the research yet so not sure what to upload...

Also, if my committee letter is still going to take another 2-3 weeks, do I really need to worry about the 10 day deadline?

Last edited:
Anyone else running into the issue that their research is not currently published but in the process of being reviewed? I don't have permission to share the research yet so not sure what to upload...

Also, if my committee letter is still going to take another 2-3 weeks, do I really need to worry about the 10 day deadline?
I think the 10 day deadline is more so for the secondary. Not the other parts including Casper .

You should still be able to submit your secondary and then they’ll receive the rest of your requirements as you get them. I would aim to have the secondary done as close to within that ten day deadline as possible. It’s not a hard deadline for those who are wondering. I submitted mine last year about a week after the ten days and I was still offered an interview and I am now matriculates there. Just aim to have it done sooner rather than later

Reactions: 1 users