2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else get an email from the director of admissions about alternate status, but was actually waitlisted post-interview….?

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else get an email from the director of admissions about alternate status, but was actually waitlisted post-interview….?
I also got the email but am alternate not WL. I think it was sent to everyone who accepted alt status regardless of actually WL vs alt. I was told waitlist is considered alternate but with priority.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist. MCAT 510 cGPA 3.65 ORM.

I have submitted my LOI, 2 abstracts in March and recently I have uploaded my co-authored pub.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Couple of questions for current students!

1. For those living at the Daum, was it worth it overall?
2. What do students typically do about rent for the 1 month gap between end of school (early June) and end of Daum leasing period (mid July)?
3. Can students get by without a car if living nearby?
4. Do you recommend buying an ipad from school or separately (from bestbuy, costco, etc)?

Reactions: 1 user
Recently withdrew my acceptance, best of luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users
I got an email from western asking for a letter of intent. Is this a good sign or do they ask everyone?

I got an email from western asking for a letter of intent. Is this a good sign or do they ask everyone?
They are sending that to anyone who is still on the waitlist or alternate list. I got it last week and it seemed pretty generic.

Last edited:
Couple of questions for current students!

1. For those living at the Daum, was it worth it overall?
2. What do students typically do about rent for the 1 month gap between end of school (early June) and end of Daum leasing period (mid July)?
3. Can students get by without a car if living nearby?
4. Do you recommend buying an ipad from school or separately (from bestbuy, costco, etc)?
I lived at Daum for 1st 2 years.

1. Yes. Great quality, on campus, and includes all amenities/parking. Only issue is the surrounding area outside of campus is bad, so you can’t walk anywhere. Have to drive a few miles (10-15 mins) to nearby Target plaza, Trader Joe’s, Chino/Claremont that has everything.

2. Not an issue - it’s step1 time, so it’s nice to not have moving stress during that. Can focus on campus study rooms, take it, then move out!

3. No. A few people did, but had to carpool for Groceries and food. There is very limited public transit, and the area is sketch/poor.

4. Not sure if they are giving you one. If they are giving one - then probably not (unless you want larger screen). Otherwise you can download whatever apps you want. They let you keep it after too. I suggest try out the iPad first and see if it fits your study style.

When’s the latest COMP accepts people from their waitlist/alt list? Realistically as an alternate only, not waitlist, what’re my chances of ever hearing back for this cycle?

When’s the latest COMP accepts people from their waitlist/alt list? Realistically as an alternate only, not waitlist, what’re my chances of ever hearing back for this cycle?
I was told by admissions we can hear back until the first day of classes. Based on past threads people listed as alternates have heard back at the very end of July.

Members don't see this ad :)
4. Not sure if they are giving you one. If they are giving one - then probably not (unless you want larger screen). Otherwise you can download whatever apps you want. They let you keep it after too. I suggest try out the iPad first and see if it fits your study style.
For our class you were required to have an iPad, either buying from the school or using your own (you can waive out of the purchase if you have your own).

Keep in mind if you use your own you have to give the school permissions on your iPad to automatically download their software onto it. Unfortunately, I'm not tech savy enough to understand everything they have access to lol

I'm in the same boat! I called Martha Alfaro to ask this question, and she said last week of July.

Reactions: 3 users
I lived at Daum for 1st 2 years.

1. Yes. Great quality, on campus, and includes all amenities/parking. Only issue is the surrounding area outside of campus is bad, so you can’t walk anywhere. Have to drive a few miles (10-15 mins) to nearby Target plaza, Trader Joe’s, Chino/Claremont that has everything.

2. Not an issue - it’s step1 time, so it’s nice to not have moving stress during that. Can focus on campus study rooms, take it, then move out!

3. No. A few people did, but had to carpool for Groceries and food. There is very limited public transit, and the area is sketch/poor.

Thanks so much!

If you don't mind me asking one more question - how is the parking situation at the Daum? Is it as bad as some students say (3+ breaking in/car damages per day)?

• Wow
Thanks so much!

If you don't mind me asking one more question - how is the parking situation at the Daum? Is it as bad as some students say (3+ breaking in/car damages per day)?

have heard of a few incidents during my time. Most seemed to be related to leaving a visible backpack/valuable item.

if you keep your car clean (and without visible wires/sunglasses), should be fine imo. They do patrol the parking lots at night.

For our class you were required to have an iPad, either buying from the school or using your own (you can waive out of the purchase if you have your own).

Keep in mind if you use your own you have to give the school permissions on your iPad to automatically download their software onto it. Unfortunately, I'm not tech savy enough to understand everything they have access to lol

I don’t think it’s a big deal they auto load software. They remove the permissions after graduation.

the school iPad is basic -‘so if you want a nice one, then buy your own!

Anyone on alt or waitlist hear anything lately?
Just wanted to let you guys know that theres been quite some movement in the waitlist from what I’ve been seeing so hang in there!! Unfortunately I don’t know stats/interview dates 🙈

maybe they’re done filling the class?
They were done filling their class in January. Any new acceptances since January were the result of previously admitted students rescinding their acceptances. That is still the case and it's possible that a couple more seats open up in July, but by this point I would imagine their incoming class is pretty much set; most students aren't going to just all of a sudden change their mind on attending Western so close to the start of school.

maybe they’re done filling the class?
If it gives you some comfort, my friend was an alternate last year and was notified of her acceptance in late July. She recently told me students are posting about being taken off the waitlist in the Class of 2025 FB group.

So it’s not done until administration formally announces that it is.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Finally withdrew from here 2 days ago - had to make a difficult decision but it was about time. Hopefully the spot goes to one of you. Don't lose all hope just yet!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the alternates list (not the waitlist), interviewed 9/15.

@my fellow alternates: It's not over!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted off the alternates list (not the waitlist), interviewed 9/15.

@my fellow alternates: It's not over!!
Dude congrats!!! You mentioned this was your top choice earlier so WAY TO GO!!

• Love
question about drug testing as an incoming first year. Do any of you know if they drug test at orientation or only before clinical year?

Same question has anyone heard back this week or is the cycle over?
Apparently they offer seats until the first day of class but that, of course, depends on other students rescinding their acceptance

Last edited:
Congrats! Accepted off alternate list??

Hello Everyone,

So I am prospective student. I am a bit confused. Are applications open for the MSMS program or are they closed? if they are closed when do they open? Also, are they accepting above 2.5 GPA cutoff or above 2.7 GPA cutoff? Lastly when looking at the application on their website they mentioned there is four tracks to choose from in this program... I got a bit confused on that. My overall goal is to go to medical school. I have contacted the advisors and counselors of the program and left them a message but have not heard back. Sorry for all the questions. I know you guys are going through a lot with trying to get in. I understand the struggle.
I will keep reading the forum from the beginning since I seemed to miss a lot of info here lol.
^_^.

* I hope on on the right forum. For the masters program???
Are you trying to do the MSMW program before med school? If so, you're on the wrong forum. Also, is there a reason you want to do this program? I would recommend a much cheaper postbacc than a SMP at a private DO school. If you are going to blow this kind od money on Western's masters program with the intent on raising your GPA / enhancing your future med school applications, you're better off doing your SMP at a school with linkage such as NYMC or WashingtonU in St. Louis. If cost is a major concern, then do a DIY postbacc or one of the cheaper postbaccs through a public in-state school like UCSD Extension.

Are you trying to do the MSMW program before med school? If so, you're on the wrong forum. Also, is there a reason you want to do this program? I would recommend a much cheaper postbacc than a SMP at a private DO school. If you are going to blow this kind od money on Western's masters program with the intent on raising your GPA / enhancing your future med school applications, you're better off doing your SMP at a school with linkage such as NYMC or WashingtonU in St. Louis. If cost is a major concern, then do a DIY postbacc or one of the cheaper postbaccs through a public in-state school like UCSD Extension.
oh gotcha thank you so much. ^_^

This is for anyone who reads this thread for next years cycle. I hope it may be helpful. I did not get accepted off the alternate list. I interviewed in January and found out before hearing back from my interview the class was full. I thanked my interviewers via email (heard back from both of them), wrote a letter of intent, met with admissions, wrote an update letter and contacted the assistant director of admissions towards the end of the cycle to express continued interest. I am tremendously grateful to have had other acceptances and am starting medical school somewhere else. I was well within WesternU admitted statistics and my experiences were in line with the profile of admitted applicants. I had conducted bench lab research, volunteered, shadowed and worked in a hospital for two years. I just wanted to write this as an open an honest statement about my experience with applying to WesternU… take it with a grain of salt.

I don’t say any of this to discourage anyone. Rather, I wanted to provide a perspective that is often missing from threads like this, which is the perspective of people who don’t get in.

I am wishing everyone who is starting this year, reapplying this cycle and applying in the future the very best of luck in their future endeavors and a successful career ahead. Take care, stay safe and it all I can say is it was a wild ride!

Reactions: 6 users