2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2/11 interview, received WL today

Response:
On behalf of WesternU College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP), I am very pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee is interested in having you join the class of DO2025. Since your interview, those who were previously offered an acceptance have confirmed their intent to attend COMP. Therefore, the class is currently filled, and we are unable to offer you a place in the class at this time. As a result, you have been placed on a wait list, with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates. Waitlisted candidates will be contacted first should a place become available in the class.
+1

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think med schools provide aids unless you get merit-based ones? If you're thinking of taking out gov $, you'll be taking out loans regardless of what school I think haha
Thanks for the response! And yeah just hoping I can get that big number to be a smaller big number 😅

Interviewed 2/11, heard back yesterday in my letter it said my status was waitlisted, but my status offer says alternate.

Reactions: 1 user
My impression of their lists:
Deferred admission = You're accepted. There's just not a spot right now, but you're guaranteed in next year if you don't get in now.
Waitlist = We want to accept you, but there's no room, so you're waiting for a spot to open up.
Alternate = We like you enough to keep you on this list of possible people who could be accepted if enough spots open up.

And I imagine they just have one software type setup for people to accept a spot once offered, and they just call it alternate. I was put on the actual alternate list, which was a different e-mail from the waitlisted one shown above, but still had to confirm to accept my spot on the alternate list.

Reactions: 1 users
My impression of their lists:
Deferred admission = You're accepted. There's just not a spot right now, but you're guaranteed in next year if you don't get in now.
Waitlist = We want to accept you, but there's no room, so you're waiting for a spot to open up.
Alternate = We like you enough to keep you on this list of possible people who could be accepted if enough spots open up.

And I imagine they just have one software type setup for people to accept a spot once offered, and they just call it alternate. I was put on the actual alternate list, which was a different e-mail from the waitlisted one shown above, but still had to confirm to accept my spot on the alternate list.
From what I've been able to tell looking at what happened in last years thread as well as what has been discussed in this thread - this is a very accurate assessment.

From what I've been able to tell looking at what happened in last years thread as well as what has been discussed in this thread - this is a very accurate assessment.
is it weird to reapply to Western and other schools again this May/June if you are technically still 'in play' for the current cycle? Being anything other than a deferred admit just seems like the chance of admission is not very good statistically speaking.

Last edited:
Interview Invite three days ago. Was in my spam folder. Only available date is March 9th, which is fine just sort of sudden.

Interviewed on 2/13 and received alternate status. I spoke with admissions and they said that most years a lot of people on waitlist and alternate status end up getting accepted. But they won't know how many seats are available until the application term is done because they lose accepted applicants to other schools, sometimes last minute. With schools doing online interviews, more people are able to pay the acceptance deposits for more than one school because the costs of traveling for interviews this year don't apply. So they won't have a realistic picture of available spots until later in the cycle than usual.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
BUMP on previous post!

"Hey all, with the ongoing deferred A/alternate/waitlist postings on the WesternU-Pomona thread, I thought it'd be interesting to see where accepted SDN applicants stand, and how likely there might be a movement in the deferred/alt/waitlist.

If you have a min, please fill out the poll below:
Poll for Accepted or DeferredA/Alt/WL applicants

If this seems inappropriate lmk and I'll remove the post. Thanks all"

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 2/13 and received alternate status. I spoke with admissions and they said that most years a lot of people on waitlist and alternate status end up getting accepted. But they won't know how many seats are available until the application term is done because they lose accepted applicants to other schools, sometimes last minute. With schools doing online interviews, more people are able to pay the acceptance deposits for more than one school because the costs of traveling for interviews this year don't apply. So they won't have a realistic picture of available spots until later in the cycle than usual.
Did you receive an email saying you were an alternate or did you just check your portal? It seens some people, however, received an email for the waitlist but nevertheless had to accept alternate status on their portal- i would imagine an email designating WL means actual WL despite having to still accept a status as alternate

Did you receive an email saying you were an alternate or did you just check your portal? It seens some people, however, received an email for the waitlist but nevertheless had to accept alternate status on their portal- i would imagine an email designating WL means actual WL despite having to still accept a status as alternate
I just received an email saying there was an update to my application status and on the portal it said alternate status. If you got an email saying you were on the waitlist, I’d agree that you are actually on the waitlist. Good news is that their waitlist and alternate lists are smaller than usual this year.

Reactions: 2 users
I just received an email saying there was an update to my application status and on the portal it said alternate status. If you got an email saying you were on the waitlist, I’d agree that you are actually on the waitlist. Good news is that their waitlist and alternate lists are smaller than usual this year.
Where did you hear that the WL and alternate lists were smaller than previous years?

Reactions: 3 users
Hi All, do you know if there will be a class page for us to join and look for potential roommates anytime soon?

Hi All, do you know if there will be a class page for us to join and look for potential roommates anytime soon?
Here's our FB class page! You can go on here to look for roommates or also on your You Portal, theres a roommate page as well for all students (DO, Vet, OD, etc) But to join the FB page, you'll need your WesternU email

WesternU COMP Class of 2025

Do you know of any students having rotations in Northern California?
Yes,

I know plenty of students who completed rotations in NorCal (including myself). I did them at a few hospitals, including Kaiser.

Thank you for taking the time to do this! I know it might be too early to know/tell, but maybe you can share from anecdotal experience or something, if you think it's relatively feasible to stay local (SoCal/LA region) for residency?

Edit: if you could also touch on how you feel about the school's curriculum, if you feel that Western has prepared you well enough for board exams and if you feel like anything was lacking from your education/opportunities overall. Any advice you might have for incoming students in terms of successfully building up a resume for residency applications as a Western student... Thanks again!

The majority of the class is from CA, and within that from SoCal.
1. Stay local for residency --> Depends on speciality, competitiveness, and your training goals.
- IM/FM/EM/Peds/Psych very possible because of the many programs. Other specialties (Anesthesia/Ortho/Derm/Urology) have fewer programs nationally, so its more challenging - but our matches tend to close geographically.
- Competitiveness: Higher the board scores, the more choices. SoCal tends to be very competitive nationally. Everyone wants it.
- Training Goals: For a given speciality and a given score, you will probably get better residency places outside of SoCal. For some this is fine because they are willing to go for prestige/fellowship more than comfort/location/weather.
- Can 100% stay in SoCal if thats your goal, score, etc - and still want to be at top places like UCLA-Harbor, UC Irvine, Loma Linda. Otherwise plenty of community programs in SoCal that will take you all.

Curriculum
- It is robust, but there is some good/some bad. I'm sure it is similar at all schools. Nothing you can do to really change the reality of learning a ton of information in a 2 year span. Professors are mostly nice. Nothing was lacking, but have to seek research. Plenty of classmates achieved published research, but we sought those opportunities with Professors and their campus labs. OMM is a complete waste of time and luckily the school has decreased it from years past.

Board Exams:
- This is completely on your terms. If you do well in the curriculum, and use your free time in 2nd half of 2nd year to study - you will do fine. They give 6-8 weeks of dedicated time and you can extend if necessary (this is plenty). I did well (240+), and it ultimately comes down to your own time management, desire, and mastery of the curriculum during 1st year.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi! To whom do you recommend sending update letters to or letters of intent? I am waitlisted, and want to send a letter. I emailed Christopher Vu to ask where to send but that was almost a month ago and he did not respond. Thanks in advance!!!!

Hi! To whom do you recommend sending update letters to or letters of intent? I am waitlisted, and want to send a letter. I emailed Christopher Vu to ask where to send but that was almost a month ago and he did not respond. Thanks in advance!!!!
I sent mine to my admissions counselor and she added to my application file.

When I emailed admissions about sending a letter of intent, they told me to upload it via my portal under the upload link for “supplemental docs”

Hi! Was wondering if anyone knows for 3rd and 4th year rotations, do students get to choose location? I noticed there’s a pretty big geographic range

Hi! Was wondering if anyone knows for 3rd and 4th year rotations, do students get to choose location? I noticed there’s a pretty big geographic range
3rd year rotations are on a soft-lottery system --> 90% in SoCal, may have 1-2 months outside of the region. Can trade with classmates, so if you want a NorCal, Orange County, West LA, San Diego heavy schedule - you can get that.
4th year --> 100% on your own. Can pick between the school's affiliated hospitals, VSAS (the online portal for all MD/DO US students), or get affiliations. Plenty of classmates were able to stay in NorCal for the whole year, do 1-2 virtual rotations, or go to their home cities/states.

FWIW/Opinion: Compared to my friends at Touro CA, Western definitely has much more rotations in major hospital/residency systems. Partially better network, but also many more residency programs in SoCal.

3rd year rotations are on a soft-lottery system --> 90% in SoCal, may have 1-2 months outside of the region. Can trade with classmates, so if you want a NorCal, Orange County, West LA, San Diego heavy schedule - you can get that.
4th year --> 100% on your own. Can pick between the school's affiliated hospitals, VSAS (the online portal for all MD/DO US students), or get affiliations. Plenty of classmates were able to stay in NorCal for the whole year, do 1-2 virtual rotations, or go to their home cities/states.

FWIW/Opinion: Compared to my friends at Touro CA, Western definitely has much more rotations in major hospital/residency systems. Partially better network, but also many more residency programs in SoCal.
That's great to hear thank you for the response!

No communication from Western U since submitting secondary app... today they wished me a happy birthday via email. I’m so over this process lmaoooo

• Wow
No communication from Western U since submitting secondary app... today they wished me a happy birthday via email. I’m so over this process lmaoooo
I had the same thing happen to me lmao. I was like oh wow NOW you remember me

Also does anyone know if their interview season has ended?

Reactions: 3 users
Just got off the deferred admissions list on Friday (3/18)! They gave one week to reply and submit $2000 deposit.
Secondary submitted 8/8, Interviewed 12/8, Put on deferred admissions 1/27

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Just got off the deferred admissions list on Friday (3/18)! They gave one week to reply and submit $2000 deposit.
THATS FANTASTIC. CONGRATULATIONS

• Love
Okay. Question for all those "alternate" or waitlist.

I know there is a lot of confusion on if waitlist = alternate, alternate > waitlists or vice versa. When in your portal, click on "view application status."

This sentence "If you would like information regarding the Admissions Committee decision or additional information regarding your alternate status please contact your admissions counselor listed in the “Contact Us” section of our prospective student website. When you click on "Prospective Student Website" where does the link in your portal where does it take you??? For me, I was told I am an alternate and it takes me to an alternates web page with information for alternate applicants. My question for those who were told they were waitlisted, where does it take you? Is there a waitlist page with info?

sorry if this is EXTRA or confusing this is just my top program and I am grasping for straws at this point.

was the deposit refundable up to a certain date?

Has anyone else gotten off the deferred list?

was the deposit refundable up to a certain date?
Based on the letter they sent, it seems the deposit is unfortunately non-refundable. I believe they had said in an earlier email that they would give anywhere between one day to one week to accept the offer depending on when it is given. The deposit deadline wasn't displayed on my portal for some reason, so I emailed the admissions counselor and received a quick response within the day that my deadline is 3/26.

Congratulations! Now I can go back to neurotically checking this thread multiple times per day haha. They're definitely pulling from their deferred list way sooner than I would have thought!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
interviewed 2/25 and just heard back. WL, IS. pretty expected since there dont seem to be any more spots

added the alert in case people were interested in the wording of the email. sounds like its a WL because the class is full but as people narrow down choices, we should hear back. good luck to everyone!
Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 5.21.17 PM.png

interviewed 2/25 and just heard back. WL, IS. pretty expected since there dont seem to be any more spots

added the alert in case people were interested in the wording of the email. sounds like its a WL because the class is full but as people narrow down choices, we should hear back. good luck to everyone!
View attachment 333247
+1 got the same exact email

2/11 interview, received WL today

Response:
On behalf of WesternU College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP), I am very pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee is interested in having you join the class of DO2025. Since your interview, those who were previously offered an acceptance have confirmed their intent to attend COMP. Therefore, the class is currently filled, and we are unable to offer you a place in the class at this time. As a result, you have been placed on a wait list, with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates. Waitlisted candidates will be contacted first should a place become available in the class.

Edit: status update says Waitlist but had to accept an offer of Alternate status so id

View attachment 333247
in the same boat, except i was told "alternate." when you accepted your waitlist position in your portal an click an associated article does it become info on waitlist or alternate applicants?

in the same boat, except i was told "alternate." when you accepted your waitlist position in your portal an click an associated article does it become info on waitlist or alternate applicants?
the portal says alternate status, which is super confusing, but I think someone earlier in the thread hypothesized they might just have the system set up with one option. Is ur alternate letter different than the waitlist one?

Last edited:
the portal says alternate status, which is super confusing, but I think someone earlier in the thread hypothesized they might just have system set up. Is ur alternate letter different than the waitlist one?
Same question here. My letter is same as those above. Says waitlist but when clicking to accept it says “accept alternate status”

the portal says alternate status, which is super confusing, but I think someone earlier in the thread hypothesized they might just have the system set up with one option. Is ur alternate letter different than the waitlist one?
Yeah for sure im wondering when you click on "View Update" under Status Update (in your portal) and then click the "Prospective Student Website" hyperlink where does it take you? For me it is a page for "alternate candidates." How about you?

Yeah for sure im wondering when you click on "View Update" under Status Update (in your portal) and then click the "Prospective Student Website" hyperlink where does it take you? For me it is a page for "alternate candidates." How about you?
it takes me directly to the wait list letter. there isn't a prospective student website hyperlink. If i click the top logo, it just takes me back to western's homepage

it takes me directly to the wait list letter. there isn't a prospective student website hyperlink. If i click the top logo, it just takes me back to western's homepage
:O oh wow okay! I think that means waitlist is different than alternate??