*** 2021-2022 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are some times late deferrals creating a spot in the class. In addition, there are still some late withdrawals to MD program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some times late deferrals creating a spot in the class. In addition, there are still some late withdrawals to MD program.
Thanks for your reply.

So better not to wait , just stick to an MD only acceptance in a really strong school (T10)…!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update as of 5/28
Group - 2022 AMCAS MD/PhD cycle
n​
MCAT​
cGPA​
Total MD/PhD Applicants
1768​
511.4​
3.69​
At least 1 MD/PhD AC
797​
516.4​
3.82​
Currently Accepted
720​
516.4​
3.82​
Withdraw to MD (after AC)
63​
515.9​
3.84​
Defer to later Class
14​
518.2​
3.79​

Please note that between 5/14 and 5/28 only 10 additional applicants received their first MD/PhD acceptance.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Kind of a long-shot question here, but I'm a little desperate and can use any help/advice I can get. I'm currently WL at my dream MSTP program (and still, maybe foolishly, hoping for an A, despite it being pretty late at this point). I believe their program starts in mid-to-late July, and in their WL e-mail, they said we could get pulled off as late as the week prior to orientation.
The school does not accept updates or Letters of Interest/Intent, which is why I haven't not submitted anything to them, but they did provide an e-mail address to contact the admissions office if we need to.
I guess my question is, at this point, as some sort of desperate hail Mary, do I send their admissions office an e-mail just affirming my intent to attend their medical school and re-iterating that I believe I would be a great fit for their program, should a spot on the waitlist open up? Or would this be frowned upon/seen negatively instead? I'm so torn.

Kind of a long-shot question here, but I'm a little desperate and can use any help/advice I can get. I'm currently WL at my dream MSTP program (and still, maybe foolishly, hoping for an A, despite it being pretty late at this point). I believe their program starts in mid-to-late July, and in their WL e-mail, they said we could get pulled off as late as the week prior to orientation.
The school does not accept updates or Letters of Interest/Intent, which is why I haven't not submitted anything to them, but they did provide an e-mail address to contact the admissions office if we need to.
I guess my question is, at this point, as some sort of desperate hail Mary, do I send their admissions office an e-mail just affirming my intent to attend their medical school and re-iterating that I believe I would be a great fit for their program, should a spot on the waitlist open up? Or would this be frowned upon/seen negatively instead? I'm so torn.
imo, you really don't have anything to lose. Do it.

What is the protocol for replying to emails send by colleges finally (JUNE!) rejecting your app, after stringing you along on wait list for 6 months then without giving a direct feedback but saying come back and try again (if you want) when you could almost pass for a PHD already (with strong pubs, WAY more research, etc) ? Specially, if you will not be applying again and are already set with other options ?

(frankly, the whole process seems like a lot of the programs (top 25-30?) do want people who almost have a Phd portion of it..., not really investing in the ones who are capable and have a strong track record but did not have a lot publications etc, which is very sad and disheartening...)

Reactions: 1 users
I wish we had a national match for MD/PhD. It would allow for settling most of the slots (~90%). The match works very well for the MD-only Texas schools (TMDSAS). The match allows you to still be in the waitlist for only the programs ranked higher in the student's list, while it allows for better class size consistency and filling for programs. Unfortunately, it does require: a) commitment from the MD/PhD program community, AND b) a Congressional exception to the Anti-Trust Laws.

Reactions: 1 user
It has been a great learning experience overall just in one cycle !

History has shown us that systems do have to correct themselves eventually - by choice or by external factors …

Good luck to all starting M1 OR those who will be reapplying !

Take care.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users