*** 2021-2022 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you guys are getting bonuses?

View attachment 351665
From what I have seen, bonuses are very rare. I have only heard of Iowa and Northwestern offering bonuses (think like $10K lump sum during M1). I believe University of Washington and like a few other schools offer a lump sum of $1-2K for moving expenses. Moving expenses are rare, recruiting bonuses are *much* rarer.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to veer from the bonuses discussion -

Can someone confirm I'm an idiot for even considering the Harvard mdphd affiliate program?? Like of course it doesn't make sense to do a program where I have to pay for the first two years to pretend to be in the mdphd program when I have fully funded offers on the table, but I'm driving myself crazy thinking of giving up Harvard. Doesn't help that my family doesn't really understand the concept besides the word "Harvard". I'm just looking for some validation that the affiliate program is the wrong choice to make 😫 I'm not a fan of the fact that Harvard even has this concept

Members don't see this ad :)

Can someone confirm I'm an idiot for even considering the Harvard mdphd affiliate program?? Like of course it doesn't make sense to do a program where I have to pay for the first two years to pretend to be in the mdphd program when I have fully funded offers on the table, but I'm driving myself crazy thinking of giving up Harvard. Doesn't help that my family doesn't really understand the concept besides the word "Harvard". I'm just looking for some validation that the affiliate program is the wrong choice to make 😫 I'm not a fan of the fact that Harvard even has this concept
I don't think you're an idiot. You've worked crazy hard to be here and your success shows it. At the end of the day HMS-MIT is an amazing program that some people would give anything to attend (even two years tuition). If you think you'd be happier there over any of your other options I'd say go for it. Otherwise, if you think another program would satisfy you take the chance to get away from the Boston winters for 8 years! Just don't let your family make the decision for you, your happiness and potential for success (whatever you define that as) matter most and can be attained elsewhere than HMS.

Reactions: 5 users

Thank Can someone confirm I'm an idiot for even considering the Harvard mdphd affiliate program?? Like of course it doesn't make sense to do a program where I have to pay for the first two years to pretend to be in the mdphd program when I have fully funded offers on the table, but I'm driving myself crazy thinking of giving up Harvard. Doesn't help that my family doesn't really understand the concept besides the word "Harvard". I'm just looking for some validation that the affiliate program is the wrong choice to make 😫 I'm not a fan of the fact that Harvard even has this concept
The year is 2037. You’ve just finished your 7 years of PSTP at MGH after doing 8 years as a Harvard affiliated MD/PhD. 38 year old you is hanging their degrees and accolades on the wall of their first lab space as an attending whose still wet behind the ears. You are proud of your accomplishments and you reminisce on how your decisions until now have shaped what will be the next 30 years of your career. When 38 year old Harvard-Affiliate you looks on at those documents and thinks about the choices they have made until now, were those choices driven by the desire for the name and the prestige or were those choices driven by wanting to be in the most supportive environment? Did 38 year old you seek out mentors whose name had clout or did they seek out the best mentor to teach them how to be a scientist? Upon reflection, does 38 year old you ponder “what if I went to XYZ whose research fit/geography/support network was far superior?” or do they feel satisfied with where they have been and the trajectory they are going?

I want to echo what @mickmars51 has said. You earned it. You deserve what is best for you. But as one who has taken a winding path to get to where I am at, I want to encourage you to ponder not what makes you happy now, but what will the you of **Then** think of the choices the you of **Now** makes?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
First of all, congratulations on having several acceptances to choose from! I truly wish I had an answer for you. While a difficult decision, it’s a great decision to have to make.

Of course, if you simply cannot afford two years of HMS, you will regret it. However, if your immediate financial needs can be met one way or another, take the opportunity to think about your goals in the long run. Holistically speaking, where will you be happier? Unfortunately, personal satisfaction does not always align with what seems to "make sense." How will you feel as a student at Harvard vs. X? How are the training opportunities in your specific area of interest? How do you envision yourself living in Cambridge vs. X for eight years (if you haven't lived or visited, Boston’s pretty great, BTW)?

As you might guess, several brilliant students in the affiliate program choose Harvard over fully-funded T10 programs. For a few, it might be Harvard/MIT's unmatched research opportunities in their area of interest. For others, it’s all in those two syllables. And hey, there’s no shame there either – you’ve worked so hard to get here! The MD-PhD leadership truly believes you can thrive in their program, and you should feel very proud that Harvard wants you, even though they are constrained by limited T32 funding. “Affiliates” are full-fledged MD-PhD students who participate in all program activities. Of course, no one likes to pay, but also, no one regrets coming to Harvard if feasible for them.

Of course, most people who join as affiliates have (or find) the financial means to do so. Beyond Harvard's unbeatable opportunities, this is how some rationalize paying two years of medical school: (1) In the long run, it does not matter whether you graduated as an affiliate or with T32 funding – you have an MD and a PhD from Harvard. (2) You’ll eventually earn the money back, but your training and your educational legacy stay with you for life. (3) Thinking about the greater good, you may even be freeing up a spot at a funded program for someone who cannot afford their next best option.

Again, my brotherly advice to you is to first assess your financial situation. If there is a way to meet your financial needs, feel unfettered. Consider the fit and your long-term personal satisfaction as a student and eventually graduate of Harvard vs. your other options.

Cheers to your many successes! One way or another, you’re on the path to becoming a terrific physician-scientist.

Happy to chat more on PM.

Reactions: 3 users

I would talk to a student in the program and see if they would do it differently a second time. You can figure out what they value and if those values align with your own.

Reactions: 1 users
Over the years, I have lost a few trainees to that took the "unfunded" entry into their MD-PhD program. Despite having the biggest endowment of all institutions in the world, they still are taking some awesome MD/PhD aspirants and make them pay the those two years, prior to entry (if succeed in MS1/2), then ask them to write F30 or other pre-doctoral grant, etc. What an institutional commitment... squeezing the purse of the trainee. Do you think there is a difference between fully funded Penn graduate and taking unfunded path at Havard? The only that I appreciate is the extra loans and bank account of the unfunded Havard trainee....

Reactions: 10 users
From what I have seen, bonuses are very rare. I have only heard of Iowa and Northwestern offering bonuses (think like $10K lump sum during M1). I believe University of Washington and like a few other schools offer a lump sum of $1-2K for moving expenses. Moving expenses are rare, recruiting bonuses are *much* rarer.
Vandy and Case offer them now from the emails I have gotten.

Reactions: 1 user

Hi there, I also interviewed and received the MSTP R along with the subsequent but-you-can-affiliate! email. I chose to withdraw for some of the reasons you mentioned.

1) I'm very fortunate to have fantastic, fully funded MSTP options, so why would I give those up and pay for MD-PhD training?

2) I'm also not a fan of this concept at all. Furthermore, it very much seemed to me like something the PD and students I met advertised as a perk of the program. (Don't worry, you can still join us even if you don't receive the MSTP A! 40% of our students are affiliates so this is very common!) As a student from a low-income background, that really rubbed me the wrong way because like Fencer wrote, it seems to suggest there is no strong institutional commitment to supporting MD-PhD trainees -- especially those from less privileged backgrounds. Given that physician-scientists are already not-so-diverse as is, what does this say about the program's commitment to diversity among the students it trains and to supporting trainees from all types of backgrounds? (despite what they might say to prospective students -- I believe one needs to show rather than tell...)

3) I didn't get the sense that the program has very strong support structures in place to be honest (with picking labs, apparently applying into PhD programs, limited interaction with the program itself, etc). But certainly I only got a brief glimpse during the interview so would suggest talking to students if you're still conflicted.

Just wanted to share my thought process here in case it helps. I applied and accepted the interview because they're a really great research fit for me and I like the location a lot too, but the reasons above made it probably my easiest withdrawal. Congrats on a great cycle and good luck with making some tough (but hopefully happy!) decisions! :)

Reactions: 14 users
Congratulations on your success @Aspiring MD-PhD! I'm sorry you had to turn down the offer despite it being a great fit.

The spirit behind the affiliate program as many see it is to expand the program and thus the pool of MD-PhD seats available nationally. Of course, this effort has a very real flip side ... not everyone can be guaranteed full funding, and the ramifications can be particularly large for trainees who are more constrained financially. I don't condone this, but there are always efforts to expand funding for trainees.

Avenues for individual support feel adequate to most, I bet. If you need advice or have feedback, you'll find someone to speak to. There may be exceptions, but I'm guessing that's the case everywhere!

Congratulations on your success @Aspiring MD-PhD! I'm sorry you had to turn down the offer despite it being a great fit.

The spirit behind the affiliate program as many see it is to expand the program and thus the pool of MD-PhD seats available nationally. Of course, this effort has a very real flip side ... not everyone can be guaranteed full funding, and the ramifications can be particularly large for trainees who are more constrained financially. I don't condone this, but there are always efforts to expand funding for trainees.

Avenues for individual support feel adequate to most, I bet. If you need advice or have feedback, you'll find someone to speak to. There may be exceptions, but I'm guessing that's the case everywhere!
I wanted to jump in and comment on "avenues for individual support feel[ing] adequate to most" so students preparing to apply are aware. My partner and I ended up interviewing at 10 of the 20 T20s, including Harvard, and it was evident that some of the "tippy-top" ranked schools do not put *as much* effort into how their programs are run. One of those schools was Harvard, as Aspiring MD-PhD also picked up on. Definitely didn't get that sense from many of the other top schools, so I'd like to hear more about why you think feeling a lack of support structures is the case everywhere.

I genuinely get the sense that some of these schools know that they'll be able to fill their classes based on name alone, and I think it's a shame. My family was shocked when I wasn't really considering XYZ school because their program just genuinely seemed to suck because they're very prestigious. How do we get these programs to match their names? I really don't know, but I don't think we should gloss over the lazy moves they make.

I wanted to jump in and comment on "avenues for individual support feel[ing] adequate to most" so students preparing to apply are aware. My partner and I ended up interviewing at 10 of the 20 T20s, including Harvard, and it was evident that some of the "tippy-top" ranked schools do not put *as much* effort into how their programs are run. One of those schools was Harvard, as Aspiring MD-PhD also picked up on. Definitely didn't get that sense from many of the other top schools, so I'd like to hear more about why you think feeling a lack of support structures is the case everywhere.

I genuinely get the sense that some of these schools know that they'll be able to fill their classes based on name alone, and I think it's a shame. My family was shocked when I wasn't really considering XYZ school because their program just genuinely seemed to suck because they're very prestigious. How do we get these programs to match their names? I really don't know, but I don't think we should gloss over the lazy moves they make.
Sure! Happy to clarify.

Sorry, I didn’t mean at all that there’s a lack of support structures everywhere. I meant that while most students do feel adequately supported at Harvard, there are students who don’t… but I was also guessing there may be students at most programs who don’t feel adequately supported for individual reasons. That said, I do not have the experiences or knowledge to make that comparison objectively.

Happy to chat with folks considering the affiliate program.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of overnight sync - 3/15-16:

Action
n​
MCAT​
cGPA​
TOTAL MD/PhD APPLICANTS
1767​
511.4​
3.69​
At least 1 MD/PhD AC
646​
516.8​
3.84​
Currently holding at least 1 (or more) MD/PhD AC
643​
516.8​
3.83​

In prior years, we will reach about 850 applicants with at least 1 MD/PhD AC, with about 750 eventual MD/PhD matriculants by end of the cycle. About 80 applicants decide to withdraw from MD/PhD and matriculate into MD, whereas about 20 defer enrollment to a future class. Thus, there are ~24% (204/850) of applicants who still will receive a MD/PhD Acceptance in the next 2+ months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
As of overnight sync - 3/15-16:

Action
n​
MCAT​
cGPA​
TOTAL MD/PhD APPLICANTS
1767​
511.4​
3.69​
At least 1 MD/PhD AC
646​
516.8​
3.84​
Currently holding 1+ MD/PhD AC
643​
516.8​
3.83​

In prior years, we will reach about 850 applicants with at least 1 MD/PhD AC, with about 750 eventual MD/PhD matriculants by end of the cycle. About 80 applicants decide to withdraw from MD/PhD and matriculate into MD, whereas about 20 defer enrollment to a future class. Thus, there are ~24% (204/850) of applicants who still will receive a MD/PhD Acceptance in the next 2+ months.

Can you clarify the n = 646 vs 643? Does that mean all but 3 accepted applicants are holding multiple acceptances?

Ahh. I read it wrong and took "1+" to mean >1. That would seem like a crazy stat

Can you clarify the n = 646 vs 643? Does that mean all but 3 accepted applicants are holding multiple acceptances?
It means three people have succumbed to the “Graduating in 2030? That’s not even a real year…” syndrome.

• Haha
I was wondering if it is typical of a letter recommender to write an update letter? If so, would they submit their update letter directly to the MSTP admissions?

Brief update... as of last night sync

Total MD/PhD applicants - 1768
Applicants with at least 1 MD/PhD AC - 661
Currently holding at least 1 MD/PhD AC - 654
Deferred - 3
Withdraw after MD/PhD AC (typically for MD-only) - 4

In prior cycles, 850 applicants received at least one MD/PhD AC, with about 80 WA and 20 DF, for a class of 750 first-year trainees. There are about 190 applicants with no MD/PhD AC who will get an acceptance later in the cycle. If you interview, send an update email to those programs who placed you in waitlist/alternate status.

Reactions: 1 users
I think this question may stem from my own personal lack of understanding of how T32 funds are requested then distributed by schools, but for MSTPs who have class sizes bigger than the number of training slots requested in their respective grants, what determines whether a trainee receives NIH support or institutional support? Or are all trainees supported by the grant, then supplemented by the institution? I ask because is there a possibility you can be accepted to an mstp but not have a “physical” history of being supported by NIH funds if that makes sense?

Every student in a MSTP is considered a MSTP trainee whether they directly received support or just indirectly benefit from the structured programmatic activities supported by the grant. In my MSTP (and most MSTPs), trainees are supplemented to a similar level without having 2nd class citizens and tuition is also supplemented to pay for the entire amount. MD/PhD programs aspiring to become MSTPs typically have similar level of support and policies. However, there are a few exceptions here and there... That is why it is important to ask questions during the interview and 2nd visits to the students and faculty. Ask about their Handbook, pay policies, benefits, etc.

@Fencer are you able to view total number of acceptances offered (across all programs)? If so, how does our current status compare to historical cycle totals?

I think this question may stem from my own personal lack of understanding of how T32 funds are requested then distributed by schools, but for MSTPs who have class sizes bigger than the number of training slots requested in their respective grants, what determines whether a trainee receives NIH support or institutional support? Or are all trainees supported by the grant, then supplemented by the institution? I ask because is there a possibility you can be accepted to an mstp but not have a “physical” history of being supported by NIH funds if that makes sense?
Expanding on Fencer's response, the NIH awards a specific number of slots to funded programs. For established programs without any identified major problems, the NIH typically awards enough slots to cover 20-25% of current trainees. Each slot comes with stipend, tuition, and training expense allocation. If a program receives 20 slots, they can appoint 20 students to the grant at any one time. The stipend and tuition from the NIH are not enough to cover the full cost, so the program supplements with institutional funds.

Programs may vary on how they select the students to be appointed to the grant. At a bare minimum, they review the students that are eligible for the grant and select those that they believe are most meritorious. They might avoid students that are experiencing difficulty, but as Fencer points out, every student is considered an MSTP trainee, so we have to include in our reporting to the NIH all students who are clearly associated with the programs. We cannot "hide" struggling students by supporting them only with institutional funds.

Our program has individuals who are never supported by the training grant. This is not because they are having difficulties, but because they are international students and cannot receive NIH training funds.

I also want to echo Fencer's recommendation that you do your due diligence about programs. Do not just assume that the stipend is the same whether or not you are supported by the grant, or that funding is guaranteed even if you need 10= years to complete the program. In the past, a rather prestigious program was hammered by the NIH because it only guaranteed funding for 6 years. The NIH did not take kindly to this, and put the program on a phase-out of funding schedule, reducing their slots significantly and cutting the grant from 5 years to 3 years. The school's dean got the message and lifted the 6-year limit on funding.

Hey all. I don't want to crash the interesting discussion but I could use some input from this community.

TLDR: SO is a PhD applicant. We're trying to end up in the same spot for school. She got accepted to the same school as me (USF) and into WashU. I'm on the waitlist at SLU. Because WashU>USF she wants us to live in St. Louis, but I'm not even in yet and the PhD commitment deadline is fast approaching (April 15th). I don't want to send LOI because I haven't seen the school or even been to the city. What do I do??

Long version:

This is my 4th time applying to MD/PhD programs (don't ask, trust me you don't want to know) so I'm just excited that I've gotten accepted at all. Currently holding one A (USF) and 4 WL (Nebraska, Kentucky, SLU, UF). My partner (serious relationship been together 3 years, I moved across the country to spend one of my gap years with her) is also going back to school to get her PhD. Luckily for the both of us, she also got accepted to USF so we could both move there and go to school. Personally, I like Florida and it'd be close to my family which would be great. I also really enjoyed the school when we went there for their PhD recruitment visit. For awhile we were really excited and planning on moving to Tampa, everything was great.

To throw a wrench in the works, my SO then interviewed with and got accepted to WashU, and I interviewed with SLU and was put on the waitlist. Suddenly St. Louis is an option for us both. We have a trip planned for next weekend to see St. Louis and get tours of our respective campuses (campi?). My SO has a strong preference for WashU solely based on the strength of school (understandable to a degree), but I'm not even accepted to SLU yet. The PhD commitment deadline is April 15th which is coming in hot and we kind of need to know if St. Louis is even an option for both of us. My hesitation is that I don't want to send an LOI without seeing campus or ever having seen St. Louis, but if I wait till after our trip that only leaves 2 weeks for the LOI to get my in before the deadline (if it will even help).

We could always plan on being apart for school, but that's a long time and we'll both be extremely busy so being in the location is highly preferred. Just looking for any advice/thoughts on the situation because I'm starting to flip out a little bit. Thank you!

Hey all. I don't want to crash the interesting discussion but I could use some input from this community.

TLDR: SO is a PhD applicant. We're trying to end up in the same spot for school. She got accepted to the same school as me (USF) and into WashU. I'm on the waitlist at SLU. Because WashU>USF she wants us to live in St. Louis, but I'm not even in yet and the PhD commitment deadline is fast approaching (April 15th). I don't want to send LOI because I haven't seen the school or even been to the city. What do I do??

Long version:

This is my 4th time applying to MD/PhD programs (don't ask, trust me you don't want to know) so I'm just excited that I've gotten accepted at all. Currently holding one A (USF) and 4 WL (Nebraska, Kentucky, SLU, UF). My partner (serious relationship been together 3 years, I moved across the country to spend one of my gap years with her) is also going back to school to get her PhD. Luckily for the both of us, she also got accepted to USF so we could both move there and go to school. Personally, I like Florida and it'd be close to my family which would be great. I also really enjoyed the school when we went there for their PhD recruitment visit. For awhile we were really excited and planning on moving to Tampa, everything was great.

To throw a wrench in the works, my SO then interviewed with and got accepted to WashU, and I interviewed with SLU and was put on the waitlist. Suddenly St. Louis is an option for us both. We have a trip planned for next weekend to see St. Louis and get tours of our respective campuses (campi?). My SO has a strong preference for WashU solely based on the strength of school (understandable to a degree), but I'm not even accepted to SLU yet. The PhD commitment deadline is April 15th which is coming in hot and we kind of need to know if St. Louis is even an option for both of us. My hesitation is that I don't want to send an LOI without seeing campus or ever having seen St. Louis, but if I wait till after our trip that only leaves 2 weeks for the LOI to get my in before the deadline (if it will even help).

We could always plan on being apart for school, but that's a long time and we'll both be extremely busy so being in the location is highly preferred. Just looking for any advice/thoughts on the situation because I'm starting to flip out a little bit. Thank you!
Just my opinion, but if I were you I would send the LOI ASAP and explain your situation to SLU. Assuming both SLU and USF have research you are interested in (since you took the time to apply and interview), I don’t think you having never visited the city trumps the incredible opportunity your partner has by going with WashU for her PhD. You are considering two MD/PhD programs that are similar enough in prestige/opportunity so it’s not like you would be giving up your #1 choice for your last choice, but your partner would be giving up a huge opportunity just because you haven’t visited the city yet. If I were you, I would also put living with my partner for the next several years above your concern about not having visited the city. Also, it is not a guarantee that the LOI will have an impact at all, but it is basically all you can do at this point to improve your chances of getting in unless you have an update on your application to send in.

-someone also dealing with choosing a program and considering their partner’s career.

Does anyone else have a hard time withdrawing from a school post-acceptance? I am thankful to have been accepted to my top choice, but I genuinely feel like I made connections with the PD of another program that I still would have been ecstatic to attend and typing the withdraw email is just hard

Does anyone else have a hard time withdrawing from a school post-acceptance? I am thankful to have been accepted to my top choice, but I genuinely feel like I made connections with the PD of another program that I still would have been ecstatic to attend and typing the withdraw email is just hard
As someone who has been on both sides (withdrawn from several interview invites and an acceptance, and also on another waitlist), think about how you felt before you had any interviews or acceptances. There are still many people out there who feel like that (and even worse since we are at the end of March) as they haven't received their first acceptance yet. If you have your top choice A, you have no reason to hold onto another one. If you are thinking in terms of not hurting the feelings of the other program, that is not solid logic as I am sure they would be happier to know that you will not be attending their program sooner rather than later so they can start to fill their class.

Reactions: 6 users
As someone who has been on both sides (withdrawn from several interview invites and an acceptance, and also on another waitlist), think about how you felt before you had any interviews or acceptances. There are still many people out there who feel like that (and even worse since we are at the end of March) as they haven't received their first acceptance yet. If you have your top choice A, you have no reason to hold onto another one. If you are thinking in terms of not hurting the feelings of the other program, that is not solid logic as I am sure they would be happier to know that you will not be attending their program sooner rather than later so they can start to fill their class.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I didnt mean for that post to sound like I am postponing withdrawing or not sending my withdrawal. I made the decision and communicated it when I knew to be courteous of their time and other applicants. I meant the like general feeling I get when actually typing and hitting send on the email is just weird*/anxiety even though I know that doesnt make any sense

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Update as of 4/1/22:

Action
n​
cGPA​
MCAT​
Total MD/PhD applicants
1768​
3.69​
511.4​
At least 1 MD/PhD AC
680​
3.83​
516.7​
Currently w 1+ MD/PhD AC
672​
3.83​
516.7​

The activity (extending acceptances) in March was as expected higher in the first two weeks and lesser in the last two weeks of the month. At this point, I can see that about 10% of my interviewees are still holding >3 acceptances. Out of my current acceptances, I only have half of my expected class, but those who haven't made decisions are split (half/half) between holding 3-4 and 6+ ACs. The next deadline is April 14, when applicants must reduce their ACs to 3 or less. During the month of April, I expect that about 100-120 applicants with no MD/PhD AC will receive their first acceptance, with another 40 in early May.

I only have half of my expected class, but those who haven't made decisions are split (half/half) between holding 3-4 and 6+ ACs
This part bugs me. I have been lucky and thankful enough to have received 4 MD/PhD acceptances, but I currently only hold two because early communication 1) helps reduce my stress by narrowing my choices 2) helps the school and other applicants who may want to go there. There really should be no reason to hold on to more than 2 or 3 As, right? 6+ is just completely silly. It isn’t like we are MD only waiting for financial aid offers…you should know what you want out of a location and research….

Ps: if you are waiting on some MD financial aid offers, this I understand.

During the month of April, I expect that about 100-120 applicants with no MD/PhD AC will receive their first acceptance, with another 40 in early May.
So if I have friends on 4 or 7 WLs, no As - it would not be bad advice for me to just tell them “prepare a reapplication, but April/May will likely be good to you.”

Update as of 4/1/22:

Action
n​
cGPA​
MCAT​
Total MD/PhD applicants
1768​
3.69​
511.4​
At least 1 MD/PhD AC
680​
3.83​
516.7​
Currently w 1+ MD/PhD AC
672​
3.83​
516.7​

The activity (extending acceptances) in March was as expected higher in the first two weeks and lesser in the last two weeks of the month. At this point, I can see that about 10% of my interviewees are still holding >3 acceptances. Out of my current acceptances, I only have half of my expected class, but those who haven't made decisions are split (half/half) between holding 3-4 and 6+ ACs. The next deadline is April 14, when applicants must reduce their ACs to 3 or less. During the month of April, I expect that about 100-120 applicants with no MD/PhD AC will receive their first acceptance, with another 40 in early May.
Thank you for continuing to share these statistics! Out of curiosity, do you know why the total number of applicants on the AMCAS report has fluctuated despite applications being long since closed? I've noticed this is a phenomenon that has appeared in past cycles as well.

1648924507263.png

1648924600854.png

Partly, a few people with previously deferred status (AC--> DF), forgot to apply/re-activate their application for the year of enrollment, so those are added as late applicants into the MD/PhD pool. In addition, there is always some degree of noise in the system as a new/inexperienced registrar updates the Student Kardex as MD-only, forgetting that they are MD/PhD trainees (or truly they decline the MD/PhD moving to MD including those deferred late applicants).

Reactions: 2 users
How are people navigating scheduling rotations? Do people typically schedule the labs they are most interested in first, or more towards entering the PhD? On one hand getting to know if they are a good fit first is a good thing, but on the other hand research interests of both ourselves and the labs can change a lot in 2 years.

I am in somewhat of an odd situation. I was placed on a high priority waitlist for my top choice and director told me it was likely that I would receive a position at some point. I haven't received a formal offer of admission but was just invited to their in-person second look weekend coming up here shortly. I've checked my portal and AMCAS and seen no offer from them. Is it typical to invite a waitlisted applicant to second look?

Obviously I will be attending, but what sort of questions should I be asking? It's a little tricky not having a formal acceptance but I want to make sure that I use this opportunity to my advantage. Any and all advice is very welcome!

How are people navigating scheduling rotations? Do people typically schedule the labs they are most interested in first, or more towards entering the PhD? On one hand getting to know if they are a good fit first is a good thing, but on the other hand research interests of both ourselves and the labs can change a lot in 2 years.

For the same reasons that you listed, I am treating scheduling rotations and these pre-matriculation meetings more as a vibe check. At the end of the day, research is research and as long as it’s in a field and general direction I am interested in, what matters most is the mentor ship and personability.

I am in somewhat of an odd situation. I was placed on a high priority waitlist for my top choice and director told me it was likely that I would receive a position at some point. I haven't received a formal offer of admission but was just invited to their in-person second look weekend coming up here shortly. I've checked my portal and AMCAS and seen no offer from them. Is it typical to invite a waitlisted applicant to second look?

Obviously I will be attending, but what sort of questions should I be asking? It's a little tricky not having a formal acceptance but I want to make sure that I use this opportunity to my advantage. Any and all advice is very welcome!
Yes, it is quite normal! I am not certain of how many programs do this, but I know at least at the University of Colorado it sounds like half the people at second look were on the waitlist so that’s at least one example of a school that does it. I know other schools do it as well. I think you’re in an excellent position to take advantage of the situation and ask what a high priority waitlist means, but also just ask normal questions. What does the research look like, what will your rotations look like, ask current students about the culture, email potential graduate students in the lab you’re interested in. While you are there, maybe come a little bit better dressed and be a little more professional just to try to give a good impression since you are still under consideration, but the biggest thing is going to be to show your interest. Let them know that you want to be there.

Actually kind of jealous, I have one waitlist and two high priority waitlist and I haven’t been invited to anything lol

Yes, it is quite normal! I am not certain of how many programs do this, but I know at least at the University of Colorado it sounds like half the people at second look were on the waitlist so that’s at least one example of a school that does it. I know other schools do it as well. I think you’re in an excellent position to take advantage of the situation and ask what a high priority waitlist means, but also just ask normal questions. What does the research look like, what will your rotations look like, ask current students about the culture, email potential graduate students in the lab you’re interested in. While you are there, maybe come a little bit better dressed and be a little more professional just to try to give a good impression since you are still under consideration, but the biggest thing is going to be to show your interest. Let them know that you want to be there.

Actually kind of jealous, I have one waitlist and two high priority waitlist and I haven’t been invited to anything lol
I'm very grateful but also do not have an As so I'm hoping this goes well!

• Care
I have no chance of getting into any school. Need to gap 1~2 yrs.

• Care

@VaultArmitage My two cents--I just went to a second look for a school I'm waitlisted at, followed up by a second look at the school I'm accepted at. I was feeling super weird about going to the first one, but I wasn't made to feel any different than the accepted students and it felt just like my other second look. None of the accepted students knew I was waitlisted, and only one current student I talked to knew (think they must be on the admissions committee).

I think if you're really serious about the school I would go, ask a ton of questions, and make a good impression. I dressed nicely throughout the day, but I thought it was significantly lower stress than interviews. Going to the second look really made me love the program, and I plan to send the one school a letter of intent and be open about my interest to see if that helps.

One tip--be prepared for faculty and students to ask you about your acceptances and plan a response. I was surprised at first but then was able to be like "hey I'm wanted elsewhere but would love to go here!"

One tip--be prepared for faculty and students to ask you about your acceptances and plan a response. I was surprised at first but then was able to be like "hey I'm wanted elsewhere but would love to go here!"

On this note, I took a more direct approach and communicated my other MD/PhD acceptance with the current students and I expressed why I was still considering that other school in relation to the school we were at. This helped direct the conversation so the students were specifically convincing me in regards to my concerns for the area/school. Also, people who were from the area of the other school were able to talk about it more in relation to the current school so I could get an idea of what it is like living in both locations from someone who has lived in both locations. Sure, there is obvious bias - but you are already admitted. There is not going to be any consequences for being direct. if you are actively considering more than one school and have genuine reasons and concerns for each there is nothing wrong with communicating them.

As an aside, In my case my wife also came with me and she went ahead and told everyone my waitlists and MD only acceptances too….which I had not intended on communicating. So if you are bringing your SO to second look, make sure to have a conversation with them….

I offically decided to commit to WashU's MSTP! Thank to all of you for all of the support along the interview season!!

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Holy smokes guys....I have been ruminating on withdrawing from places for a while but it is overwhelming to think about it. I hyped myself up and withdrew from 2 acceptances and 2 waitlists today rapid fire before I could think about what I was doing. The relief is such a good feeling. I still have some more decisions to make but holy....

Withdraw. You will feel better.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Half of my accepted applicants have not touch AMCAS CYMS. It is truly useful for program directors to understand in an aggregate manner your decisions. Your choice in CYMS can change daily as you see and evaluate programs. It is not binding until later in the cycle when applicants choose to Commit to Enroll vs remaining in alternate lists and keeping Plan to Enroll.

• Care
Update as of last night sync (4/15 --> 4/16):

# of Applicants​
MCAT​
cGPA​
Total MD/PhD Applicants
1768​
511.4​
3.69​
At least 1 MD/PhD AC
692​
516.7​
3.83​
Currently Accepted MD/PhD
679​
516.8​
3.83​

We still have capacity for >150 applicants who will be earning their first MD/PhD acceptance in the next 4-6 weeks to reach ~850 applicants with at least one MD/PhD AC as in prior cycles. Please also note that the national MD/PhD class has ~750-760 slots, and that means that there are at the moment 70-80 empty chairs. The problem is that we (PDs) don't know who among our applicants with multiple ACs will be withdrawing.

• Wow
  • Care