2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted the old CDC school verification form and already submitted my application. Should I get my university to refill out the new form and fax it over to the new number? Is there a way to go back into my already submitted application to add it in?

You have until the deadline to edit anything on your application, just log back into USAjobs and go to applications you previously submitted. I'm not sure if they changed it, but I know last year I was able to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of completing the assessment and it seems like it doesn't follow the usual format where the answer choices go from lowest points (choice A) to highest points (choice E). Does anyone know if it's always best to select E like in other USAJOBS questionnaires? I might be reading too much into it but it seems like E isn't always the best choice for some of these questions. My work experience could apply to more than one of the choices so I want to make sure I'm selecting the ones that will weigh more. I hope this makes sense.

Are we to expand on the assessment questions. Or just state where it’s located in the resume?

Are we to expand on the assessment questions. Or just state where it’s located in the resume?
Yea I was wondering this too, I am nervous because my resume is written like a normal resume and doesn't specifically answer what the questions are asking. I am nervous that I won't move on because I didn't answer the questionnaire properly. From the people who applied last year what was your approach with the questionnaire? Thanks!

Yea I was wondering this too, I am nervous because my resume is written like a normal resume and doesn't specifically answer what the questions are asking. I am nervous that I won't move on because I didn't answer the questionnaire properly. From the people who applied last year what was your approach with the questionnaire? Thanks!

The assessment has changed this year. Last year assessment didn’t ask us to refer back to the resume. It was more straight forward.

We just had to select how much experience we had, from No experience at all to having exceptional experience. I guess they are doing it this way because they had tons of applications to go through last year .

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the process of completing the assessment and it seems like it doesn't follow the usual format where the answer choices go from lowest points (choice A) to highest points (choice E). Does anyone know if it's always best to select E like in other USAJOBS questionnaires? I might be reading too much into it but it seems like E isn't always the best choice for some of these questions. My work experience could apply to more than one of the choices so I want to make sure I'm selecting the ones that will weigh more. I hope this makes sense.

This is a good question, I would love to know as well.

This is a good question, I would love to know as well.
I was also wondering this, the questionnaire was a little stressful lol. I just answered with whatever choices matched best with my resume

I was curious about this as well. I just added what the assessment asked for, "title, place of employment, and duration there". I didn't want to elaborate and have my app tossed out because I did too much :lol:

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I'm new here and in the process of applying for this program.
A couple of questions (yes I'm nervous lol):
1) How do you add volunteer experience and internships if I use the federal resume format? Haven't figured it out and I know I'm a bit late :/
2) Should I just upload my own resume if I can't figure out best how to use the federal resume?
Thanks in advance!

I was also wondering this, the questionnaire was a little stressful lol. I just answered with whatever choices matched best with my resume

This is what I’ve been doing. I’m wondering if there is a “best” answer choice for each question since it’s not really made obvious like in other assessments. For example, is it better to have put that I’ve “completed tasks as assigned” or “assisted senior staff”? In my case, I’ve done both. But idk which one will get me more points.

Hi everyone! I'm new here and in the process of applying for this program.
A couple of questions (yes I'm nervous lol):
1) How do you add volunteer experience and internships if I use the federal resume format? Haven't figured it out and I know I'm a bit late :/
2) Should I just upload my own resume if I can't figure out best how to use the federal resume?
Thanks in advance!
I added my internships and relevant volunteer experience to the work experience section. I'm using the USAJOBS resume builder instead of uploading my own, but I'm not sure if there is a preference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I added my internships and relevant volunteer experience to the work experience section. I'm using the USAJOBS resume builder instead of uploading my own, but I'm not sure if there is a preference.

Oh ok thanks!
Sorry one last thing: if some of the volunteer experience was a one time thing should I still add it?

Kinda wish there was space in the resume builder to add one-off research projects and/or capstone projects

Kinda wish there was space in the resume builder to add one-off research projects and/or capstone projects
i might be wrong, but i think if you click next after entering work experience, it takes you to education, and then additional info. i don’t remember exactly

i might be wrong, but i think if you click next after entering work experience, it takes you to education, and then additional info. i don’t remember exactly
There was an additional info section, that's where I put my volunteer experience and other random things and projects outside the scope of my work experience. For research projects, I would just create a space in the work experience box titled "Honors Thesis" or "Poster Presentation" and put the title of the works under the relevant work experience entry. I don't know if that is how we are supposed to do it but I didn't see any other place besides professional publications option which lol they aren't.

Also, If we wanted to edit our application since its techincally an open period could we go back in and edit and resubmit or will this mess up the application? Thanks!

Also, If we wanted to edit our application since its techincally an open period could we go back in and edit and resubmit or will this mess up the application? Thanks!
Yes, you can edit the application as many times as you’d like (change, add, remove, etc.), but you need to make sure you go through the entire application process and submit it in order to receive the confirmation email again.

I’ll go back in and check I must have missed that, thank you!

There was an additional info section, that's where I put my volunteer experience and other random things and projects outside the scope of my work experience. For research projects, I would just create a space in the work experience box titled "Honors Thesis" or "Poster Presentation" and put the title of the works under the relevant work experience entry. I don't know if that is how we are supposed to do it but I didn't see any other place besides professional publications option which lol they aren't.
Thank you 😭😭

Do I need to include proof of US residency in my documents if I am a US citizen?

Do I need to include proof of US residency in my documents if I am a US citizen?
I did not include anything special to show it, my address is just in the application so I hope we didn't need to lol

Hello everyone! I just submitted my application and this is my first time applying! Good luck everybody! I'm looking forward to hear about everyone's experiences with this program application and the program itself :)

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone applying to grad school while waiting for the results?

I also am applying to this program for the first time! Good luck to everyone, now the waiting process begins!

Is anyone applying to grad school while waiting for the results?
I am not, I'm hoping that if I am accepted into PHAP, I can figure out which direction to go in as far as grad school! My problem is that I think everything is interesting so I have no idea what to go to grad school for lol

Hey everyone, just found out about this forum! I applied as well still just waiting to hear back!

Last edited:
Its been nearly 4 weeks so hopefully we all start hearing back soon!
Based on the 2020 cohort, it looks like they started getting general updates re: being referred around early-mid March, but didn't get notified officially for the personal statement round until the end of March. Fingers crossed our timeline is similar if not earlier!

Good morning all, I just found this thread! I also applied this year. I had applied last year, but it did not end up working out. I’m hoping this year I get the opportunity to be accepted into the program! Based on last year, they started contacting people in middle March :) good luck to everyone!

Good morning all, I just found this thread! I also applied this year. I had applied last year, but it did not end up working out. I’m hoping this year I get the opportunity to be accepted into the program! Based on last year, they started contacting people in middle March :) good luck to everyone!
Hello! Thank you for your insight. If you don’t mind me asking, how far did you get in the process last year?

Good luck to you as well! Hoping we all hear back soon 😊

Hello! Thank you for your insight. If you don’t mind me asking, how far did you get in the process last year?
Unfortunately I thought I would be giving them a personal statement, but the process got a bit twisted so I did not make it too far. I was still in school at the time so I’m hoping that I have a better chance this year since I have improved my resume!

Hello all,

I applied last year and was accepted all the way through, but I had to turn the job down due to economic and personal issues. So that being said:

If this runs like the previous two years, there will be an email notifying you that your application has advanced. This may followed up a bit later by an email abd/or call. Pay attention to the area codes as they don't pop up as CDC or PHAP. Mine was Atlanta Area. . Check your USAJobs profile through the link. At another point, you will be directed to a new page. This is the official CDC PHAP portal for the job. In this section, last year, is where the personal statement as well as demographic, geographic, and other preference questions are. There are a ton of applicants and consider the timelines posted tentative. Right now it sits at:

This takes a while. If in school, use it at motivation.

The program had a few delays and setbacks last cycle. Also, remember, remember, remember! unless you are flat out rejected from the get-go, this process up to interview and official offer can go into August. If you see that your application is moving forward on USAJobs, but dont hear anything, don't worry. You have no idea where in the queue you are. Read over the previous year's forum to get a better idea of how this works, it is filled with questions and answers. But, this has already shifted a bit, as the questions on the application were much different this year.

JD

Hello all,

I applied last year and was accepted all the way through, but I had to turn the job down due to economic and personal issues. So that being said:

If this runs like the previous two years, there will be an email notifying you that your application has advanced. This may followed up a bit later by an email abd/or call. Pay attention to the area codes as they don't pop up as CDC or PHAP. Mine was Atlanta Area. . Check your USAJobs profile through the link. At another point, you will be directed to a new page. This is the official CDC PHAP portal for the job. In this section, last year, is where the personal statement as well as demographic, geographic, and other preference questions are. There are a ton of applicants and consider the timelines posted tentative. Right now it sits at:

This takes a while. If in school, use it at motivation.

The program had a few delays and setbacks last cycle. Also, remember, remember, remember! unless you are flat out rejected from the get-go, this process up to interview and official offer can go into August. If you see that your application is moving forward on USAJobs, but dont hear anything, don't worry. You have no idea where in the queue you are. Read over the previous year's forum to get a better idea of how this works, it is filled with questions and answers. But, this has already shifted a bit, as the questions on the application were much different this year.

JD
This was so helpful!! thank you!

Oh, and to add on, If people have answers to questions, post them so next year's applicants can look back here and find answers. It is amazing what questions pop up as this progresses.

Hey everyone happy Monday! So around this exact time last year is when they started sending out decision emails for moving on to the personal statement portion so fingers crossed we hear something today! :) it’s been a dream of mine to work for the CDC since high school so now that I have my degree and have some more work experience I’m really hoping this opportunity works out for me. I’m just curious, what is everyone currently doing? I’m working for an infusion company as a medical biller currently!

Hey everyone happy Monday! So around this exact time last year is when they started sending out decision emails for moving on to the personal statement portion so fingers crossed we hear something today! :) it’s been a dream of mine to work for the CDC since high school so now that I have my degree and have some more work experience I’m really hoping this opportunity works out for me. I’m just curious, what is everyone currently doing? I’m working for an infusion company as a medical biller currently!
Fingers crossed, good luck to you!! I’m finishing up my masters in humanitarian health/public health emergencies. I work full-time as a case manager for high risk medical populations well :)

I’ve been checking my emails super often recently lol! Right now, I’m working at a community service organization where I help people get rental assistance and other public benefits assistance. I originally started here doing AmeriCorps, then they hired me full time! I’m hoping to get into PHAP because I want to have a more public health focused career!

Well, looking at everyone’s experience I’m not sure how I’ll match up lol but I currently work in my school’s advising center and I help students schedule appointments and also answer questions. I have done some volunteering gigs but not sure if that’ll be enough 🥲

Well, looking at everyone’s experience I’m not sure how I’ll match up lol but I currently work in my school’s advising center and I help students schedule appointments and also answer questions. I have done some volunteering gigs but not sure if that’ll be enough 🥲
you never know! I like to think any experience is good experience. Your experience seems pretty unique and maybe that’s what theyre looking for! Based on reading past forums, it seems like they accept people with a wide range of experience

you never know! I like to think any experience is good experience. Your experience seems pretty unique and maybe that’s what theyre looking for! Based on reading past forums, it seems like they accept people with a wide range of experience
Agreed! It’s meant for students at an entry-level, don’t downplay your experience ☺️

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed! It’s meant for students at an entry-level, don’t downplay your experience ☺️
Also agree!! I think they definitely want individuals who bring different experiences to the table and can bring new ideas to the world of public health! I had (and still have) pretty much zero experience in public health aside from my Health Science degree and small job shadowing experience. However, that's the point of the fellowship! :)

You have to acknowledge that you are more than open to being trained. They aren't looking for people who know the "job" inside out. It is a recruiting option for the CDC to fill out their entry-level positions. Having a degree shows you understand what you are getting into, but this program is a bit different than most. You will be working under someone whose job is to guide you. You will not be dropped into a position and told GO! They are (from my interviews) looking for individuals who can be trained, exposed to different aspects, and not rigid in their job course. Think of it as a 2 year on job training leading to a potential full-time position. In many ways, the least experienced may have an advantage.

Reactions: 4 users
You have to acknowledge that you are more than open to being trained. They aren't looking for people who know the "job" inside out. It is a recruiting option for the CDC to fill out their entry-level positions. Having a degree shows you understand what you are getting into, but this program is a bit different than most. You will be working under someone whose job is to guide you. You will not be dropped into a position and told GO! They are (from my interviews) looking for individuals who can be trained, exposed to different aspects, and not rigid in their job course. Think of it as a 2 year on job training leading to a potential full-time position. In many ways, the least experienced may have an advantage.

Thanks for the reassurance