2021 VIRMP MATCH!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just updating with Yale's format - series of 30 minute, 1:1 interviews lasting anywhere from 5-6 hours.
Oh shoot! That’s intense... I haven’t heard a peep since hearing someone will contact me haha

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia sent a few dates for a thirty minute introduction. Not sure what happens after that though

Just heard from Davis today :) also got a rejection from Stanford

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on Davis @Momokeen you're going to rock it!! I heard from Tulane today :) still waiting on Wake Forest.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure! So far, I've interviewed (or been offered an interview with a description of what to expect) at the following:
  • NYU/Regeneron: 90 minutes long, including a 20-30 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing. Pretty well structured, started with introductions of those on the call (~10-15 people), followed by my presentation, a few questions from faculty regarding the presentation, then into more standardized interview questions. Final 10 minutes or so dedicated to answering my questions about the position.
  • UNC Chapel Hill: 30 minutes long, started with brief introduction of those on the call (<10 people), overview of the residency program, a few standardized questions (one per clinician), and finally answering questions I had.
  • Tri-I: ~7 hours long, including a 20-30 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing. Very, very structured. ~30 minute interviews primarily 1:1 (sometimes 2 or 3:1) with all upper level staff. Haven't had it yet (next week!) but that's the overview!
  • Cornell: 1 hour long, haven't had it yet (next week!) but will report back!
SEVEN HOURS for an interview???

did you know that you had to present a topic before the interview or were they like “surprise! presentation time!”

I'm applying for small animal rotating internships this go around. just waiting on one LOR and will be submitting my application shortly. I know you can submit at any time but I'd like to send a complete packet. anyone else applying for small animal rotating?
I’m going small animal rotating as well! I have 2 specialty ECC internships, but the rest are all rotating.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m going small animal rotating as well! I have 2 specialty ECC internships, but the rest are all rotating.
oh i didn't realize you could apply for specialty internships right out of the gate. I guess emergency is different from other specialties. that's awesome!

oh i didn't realize you could apply for specialty internships right out of the gate. I guess emergency is different from other specialties. that's awesome!
Some of them you can, some you can’t! Just depends on the Internship’s requirements. Both of the ones I applied to readily welcome new grads

SEVEN HOURS for an interview???

did you know that you had to present a topic before the interview or were they like “surprise! presentation time!”
Yep, it was a long one indeed! Just a series of 1:1 (or 1:2) interviews back to back, getting through three institutions worth of clinicians and faculty! And yes, for both Tri-I and NYU it was made evident I would need to present on initial offer of the interview.

Yep, it was a long one indeed! Just a series of 1:1 (or 1:2) interviews back to back, getting through three institutions worth of clinicians and faculty! And yes, for both Tri-I and NYU it was made evident I would need to present on initial offer of the interview.
oh geez. That's rough! I feel like I would get really tired throughout. Like that's longer than the NAVLE, and halfway through my brain essentially went into Windows shutdown mode. :laugh:

• Haha
Small animal rotating here as well!! I'm so excited to get this process rolling! I applied to Penn, Colorado, Cornell, Purdue, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Good luck everyone! I wish there was some kind of status bar so I know what the heck is going on on the other end of things :p

Reactions: 4 users
Small animal rotating here as well!! I'm so excited to get this process rolling! I applied to Penn, Colorado, Cornell, Purdue, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Good luck everyone! I wish there was some kind of status bar so I know what the heck is going on on the other end of things :p
Applied to many similar ones! Wondering who interviews and if we will hear anything before March 1st

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to everyone in this years match! I am a little late to the thread this year as leading up to the match was a pretty crazy time in the ER! I must say that going through this process a second time was not necessarily easier, but my application is much improved so I am keeping my fingers crossed for interviews this time around.

Anyone applying to shelter medicine internships or have gone through a shelter medicine internship? Have my interviews scheduled already and I’m getting nervous.

For LAM interview formats -

MIT was about an hour with 4 senior staff, and there is a second round at some point in February.

Johns Hopkins was about 30 minutes with one interviewer who adhered strictly to a series of questions that they sent ahead of time, and there is a second round next week.

Does anyone know if most schools use electronic records now? I feel like this isn't emphasized much, but this will definitely affect how much time we spend in the hospital as interns. I heard from someone who completed their internship 2 years ago that Penn still used written records. Has this changed?

Does anyone know if most schools use electronic records now? I feel like this isn't emphasized much, but this will definitely affect how much time we spend in the hospital as interns. I heard from someone who completed their internship 2 years ago that Penn still used written records. Has this changed?
Illinois has electronic!

LSU is electronic (cornerstone) and they're in the process of switching to instinct for ICU treatment sheets

CSU uses Stringsoft too which is just all kinds of wonderful... /s
Yeah. When I heard from a friend that you guys were transferring over from your old software, I gave my condolences.

At least I know what not to buy if I'm ever in a position to make those decisions in the future

• Haha
I’m convinced there’s no great medical records system, especially for an academic institution and its mountain of silly paperwork. I’ve been exposed to several different systems in my times at various schools and everyone always thinks theirs is the worst. (Although I’ll say UVIS was worse than Cornerstone imo). I’ve been at private practice clinics that use Avimark, Cornerstone, and VCA’s system WoofWare too and they’re all adequate, but there’s so much less stuff you need to function compared to academia with its 8,000 request forms, soaps, results, etc. When I was a resident administration spent like months demoing other programs but in the end they kept the one everyone hated because they said it was the best fit.

Mizzou uses VetView, but also uses instinct for ICU treatment sheets (small animal only, large animal uses paper treatment sheets daily for stall-side stuff, then that info is placed into vetview.)

If anyone is applying to UC Davis ECC internship I am more than happy for anyone to message me to chat to anyone about the program. In terms of medical records systems the Davis one is the best I have used so far but I agree, none are perfect!

I'm applying for small animal rotating internships this go around. just waiting on one LOR and will be submitting my application shortly. I know you can submit at any time but I'd like to send a complete packet. anyone else applying for small animal rotating?
I am also applying for small animal rotating. Where did you apply? Have you been offered any interviews?

I am also applying for small animal rotating. Where did you apply? Have you been offered any interviews?
For anonymity's sake I'm not going to list where im applying publically, but my list is all private practice, I've been offered two interviews thus far.

Has anyone applying to SAIM residency programs heard back about interviews yet? Crickets for me so far and getting a little nervous 😟

Just heard from Oregon State (lab animal residency) that they are going to be scheduling interviews in the coming days. I assume that means I’m being invited? 😅

Also, heads up for those of you who've had more of the 45m-1h types of interviews - some of these places are then scheduling secondary interviews lasting anywhere from 3-8h...

• Wow
I’ve had some interviews already, but there’s 3 hospitals that said that they would contact to schedule after the application closed and I haven’t heard anything yet... not sure how to feel about this? :bag:

and I guess this means I should take them down to the bottom my rank list if they didn’t interview me specifically?

• Sad
I’ve had some interviews already, but there’s 3 hospitals that said that they would contact to schedule after the application closed and I haven’t heard anything yet... not sure how to feel about this? :bag:

and I guess this means I should take them down to the bottom my rank list if they didn’t interview me specifically?
Never hurts to touchbase with a program you are interested in.

as far as ranking list your programs in your order of preference. The system will match you to the first program that offers you a spot. So if you rank hospitals A, B, and C numbers 1,2 and 3. If hospital A doesn’t rank you but hospital B does you will match at hospital B. There is no risk to putting a program high on your list if you really want to go there. Conversely if there is a program you applied to that you do not want to go to do NOT rank them. You are not required to rank everywhere you applied.

Happy to discuss match/my experiences with anyone via PM.

Reactions: 3 users
@cdo96, I strongly agree with Angelo, don’t move them down just because they didn’t interview you. The system doesn’t penalize you if a program doesn’t rank you, it’ll just move on down your list. It moves through the list based on what applicants want and program choices are secondary, so rank them how you want them. There’s some good YouTube videos related to the human NRMP match that go over the process and myths. Maybe you do decide to push a program that didn’t interview you down lower because you didn’t get to talk to anyone there, that’s fine, but if they’re still high on your list, rank them high. Maybe they didn’t interview you because they knew they wanted to rank you anyway? Maybe the people they did interview chose other programs and they had to go deeper into their list than they thought they would, but you never know what’s going to happen.

I have been summoned!
Anyone applying to shelter medicine internships or have gone through a shelter medicine internship? Have my interviews scheduled already and I’m getting nervous.
Hi, I'm applying to shelter med internships this year too! :hello:
Yeah. When I heard from a friend that you guys were transferring over from your old software, I gave my condolences.

At least I know what not to buy if I'm ever in a position to make those decisions in the future
Was I that friend? :unsure:
Also, heads up for those of you who've had more of the 45m-1h types of interviews - some of these places are then scheduling secondary interviews lasting anywhere from 3-8h...
Yikes. Also hi Noah!

Last edited:

I've interviewed with a few private practices, but I'm waiting to hear from CSU, OSU, and TAMU. It's only been a little over a week, and the institution rank deadline isn't until Feb 19.

I've interviewed with a few private practices, but I'm waiting to hear from CSU, OSU, and TAMU. It's only been a little over a week, and the institution rank deadline isn't until Feb 19.
oh yeah I forgot theirs is later too. :laugh: It’s been two weeks, right?

I’m on IM this rotation so everything is simultaneously fast and slow.

I know right?! Where have they all been hiding?
Not to get too corny, but I'm actually incredibly excited to see so many people interested in laboratory animal medicine! I've been involved in the field for over 10 years (it's why I went back to school to begin with), and seeing new vets full of energy and optimism for LAM is reassuring.

Heard from Wake Forest, Rutgers, Columbia, and University of Minnesota the past few days!

So what’s the consensus from everyone on this - if we haven’t heard from residencies by the time we need to rank, should we assume they aren’t interested and not bother ranking them? Just curious.

Also excited to see more lab animal peeps :) I was dabbling around in public health for a bit, but realized where my heart truly lies!

Well I just accidentally closed my rank without selecting any positions!! Haha I guess there’s one less Lab animal candidate this year.

Well I just accidentally closed my rank without selecting any positions!! Haha I guess there’s one less Lab animal candidate this year.

Is there any way you could contact VIRMP? I would be so mortified if that happened!