2021 VIRMP MATCH!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I just accidentally closed my rank without selecting any positions!! Haha I guess there’s one less Lab animal candidate this year.
I accidentally submitted my ranking early last year and I contacted the VIRMP and they were able to help me correct it 😊

Members don't see this ad.

So what’s the consensus from everyone on this - if we haven’t heard from residencies by the time we need to rank, should we assume they aren’t interested and not bother ranking them? Just curious.
vv
@cdo96, I strongly agree with Angelo, don’t move them down just because they didn’t interview you. The system doesn’t penalize you if a program doesn’t rank you, it’ll just move on down your list. It moves through the list based on what applicants want and program choices are secondary, so rank them how you want them. There’s some good YouTube videos related to the human NRMP match that go over the process and myths. Maybe you do decide to push a program that didn’t interview you down lower because you didn’t get to talk to anyone there, that’s fine, but if they’re still high on your list, rank them high. Maybe they didn’t interview you because they knew they wanted to rank you anyway? Maybe the people they did interview chose other programs and they had to go deeper into their list than they thought they would, but you never know what’s going to happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way you could contact VIRMP? I would be so mortified if that happened!
I am mortified but they were able to reset it. All good now and now I know how to finalize the ranking! ;-)

Reactions: 4 users
So what’s the consensus from everyone on this - if we haven’t heard from residencies by the time we need to rank, should we assume they aren’t interested and not bother ranking them? Just curious.

Also excited to see more lab animal peeps :) I was dabbling around in public health for a bit, but realized where my heart truly lies!
I’m personally not raking any programs that did not meet with me. They weren’t my top choices anyways but how am I supposed to gather whether or not we would mesh. This process reminds me of dating. I applied to ten, four stood me up, two ghosted, and now I’ve got four good ones but only one I’m putting my hopes into!! So if it’s like my dating record I’ll be looking in the post match scramble.

I still stand by my statement, even for residencies. I agree that it’s more unlikely a residency would rank you without interviewing you since it’s a much bigger commitment and there’s the added hurdle of boards at the end, but if you still would prefer to go there over a place that did interview you, it won’t mess up your own match algorithm to rank the place with no interview where you want. Be realistic and realize you probably won’t match there, but it won’t hurt you. If the place you didn’t interview at didn’t rank you back, the algorithm will just move on down to the next place on your list.

The dating analogy is great! You're going to be spending three years with this program so even if it "checks all your boxes" in terms of species, research/clinical balance, etc., if you don't mesh with at least some of the personnel it's going to make it tougher than it might need to be.

I also have a hard time rationalizing programs with smaller applicant pools not even reaching out via email. From my understanding, most lab animal residencies are getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 applicants. Not finding time to even send a boiler-plate rejection just indicates to me either an overly hectic schedule, lack of organization, or disregard for the candidates. I understand there's surely a more nuanced view, but as a candidate I find it pretty disrespectful to receive absolutely no communication after putting so much effort and thought into the application package and program selection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The dating analogy is great! You're going to be spending three years with this program so even if it "checks all your boxes" in terms of species, research/clinical balance, etc., if you don't mesh with at least some of the personnel it's going to make it tougher than it might need to be.

I also have a hard time rationalizing programs with smaller applicant pools not even reaching out via email. From my understanding, most lab animal residencies are getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 applicants. Not finding time to even send a boiler-plate rejection just indicates to me either an overly hectic schedule, lack of organization, or disregard for the candidates. I understand there's surely a more nuanced view, but as a candidate I find it pretty disrespectful to receive absolutely no communication after putting so much effort and thought into the application package and program selection.
For perspective, some places may not contact people until after they have heard back from their first round of interview invites. AKA, they have X numbers of interview slots so they make offers to their top choices, and if any of them pass on the opportunity they can then offer to the next one on the list and so on. They also might not want to burn bridges with applicants with a "boiler-plate rejection" in the off chance that they don't match and they might end up scrambling with that applicant (who may have been next on their list, but there's only so much availability for interviews).

To be fair, I also thought it sucked and was rude when I was an applicant, especially to not hear back from places you may have had a keen interest in, but sitting on the other side of things for the past few years I can see where some of the logic comes into it. This year has also been especially hard in many places with the application deadlines all moved along with COVID etc.

Finally, if you are really desperate to know your status, reach out to the program director personally. Their contact information should be listed on VIRMP or the ACLAM website list of programs.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello! I’m applying for Small Animal Rotating internships. Has anyone heard from CSU?

For perspective, some places may not contact people until after they have heard back from their first round of interview invites. AKA, they have X numbers of interview slots so they make offers to their top choices, and if any of them pass on the opportunity they can then offer to the next one on the list and so on. They also might not want to burn bridges with applicants with a "boiler-plate rejection" in the off chance that they don't match and they might end up scrambling with that applicant (who may have been next on their list, but there's only so much availability for interviews).

To be fair, I also thought it sucked and was rude when I was an applicant, especially to not hear back from places you may have had a keen interest in, but sitting on the other side of things for the past few years I can see where some of the logic comes into it. This year has also been especially hard in many places with the application deadlines all moved along with COVID etc.

Finally, if you are really desperate to know your status, reach out to the program director personally. Their contact information should be listed on VIRMP or the ACLAM website list of programs.
See, I knew there was a more nuanced view! Thank you for sharing this, it actually did help frame it in a more positive light.

Hello! I’m applying for Small Animal Rotating internships. Has anyone heard from CSU?
I don't know anyone applying to CSU since I go here and they don't tend to like to take their own students as interns, but I have heard through the grapevine that they got quite a few applications this year and are behind on their normal time table for things

Just curious about the pool in general: I've heard it both ways *due to covid*:
A. less people are applying to Small animal rotating internships (clinics are busy, many families are struggling and there's real money to be made instead of 30k, so why not go make money sooner)
B. More people are applying to rotating internships as most of class of 2020 and 2021 missed out on a lot of clinics and don't feel ready/need more structured mentorship.

Any thoughts? Just something to discuss. I guess we can see for sure when the match statistics come out.

A. less people are applying to Small animal rotating internships (clinics are busy, many families are struggling and there's real money to be made instead of 30k, so why not go make money sooner)
B. More people are applying to rotating internships as most of class of 2020 and 2021 missed out on a lot of clinics and don't feel ready/need more structured mentorship.

Any thoughts? Just something to discuss. I guess we can see for sure when the match statistics come out.

Most folks I've talked to are definitely in camp B. But also the ones who feel that way are more likely to pursue a private internship rather than an academic.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I’m personally applying because my goal is to pursue a residency, but a lot of people are in group B. I talked to an internship recruiter as well, and he said that he thinks it will definitely be more competitive not only for that reason, but also because people are worried about finding regular jobs during COVID. He said the best way to give yourself a leg up in the competition is to visit, but that was so hard to do this year! Hopefully we all Match to where we want to be! Can’t change anything now, except to really impress them in our interviews. Good luck guys!

interesting, where i'm at a lot of people want to enter practice right away. it seems like an internship is not as common here (just from students i've spoken to, which is not necessarily a totally accurate representative sample).

@Sopranovet I agree, it would be nice to be able to visit, but since (almost) everyone is unable to do so due to covid, it has leveled the playing field a bit. I would have liked to in order to get a feel for the places i've applied, but at least we can get a bit of the vibe in an interview.

Ok have heard from WSU, UGA and my top choice private practice so far. No word yet from CSU, OSU, UCD

Ok have heard from WSU, UGA and my top choice private practice so far. No word yet from CSU, OSU, UCD
I just rotated through SAIM at Davis recently, we had a few potential residents on our rounds and they were interviewing that day. Hopefully you hear something soon!

Question for a friend of mine, has anyone heard of Wisconsin sending out interview invites for their SA rotating internship so far? Apparently they do interviews every year but she hasn't heard of anyone who's applied who's gotten one and was trying to figure out if people at other places have gotten any

Question for a friend of mine, has anyone heard of Wisconsin sending out interview invites for their SA rotating internship so far? Apparently they do interviews every year but she hasn't heard of anyone who's applied who's gotten one and was trying to figure out if people at other places have gotten any
I was wondering this as well. I haven't heard anything so far.

I haven't heard from them. Also haven't heard from CSU, TAMU, or Ohio St yet.

I've probably ranked and re-ranked and changed the order of the rankings (on my spreadsheet not on the actual match) easily 19 million times by now. :barf:

4 weeks to Match Day!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I've probably ranked and re-ranked and changed the order of the rankings (on my spreadsheet not on the actual match) easily 19 million times by now. :barf:

4 weeks to Match Day!!!

Lol I know the feeling! I can't help but keep looking at my rank list lol! I have a few more interviews then hopefully it'll be finalized!!! I can't wait until match day!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Lol I know the feeling! I can't help but keep looking at my rank list lol! I have a few more interviews then hopefully it'll be finalized!!! I can't wait until match day!!!!!!!!
Yeah ugh, I have a general idea of how I want to rank things, but I have three interviews left this week and don't want to jump the gun. I've already been pleasantly (and unpleasantly) surprised on a few interviews now, so I want to make sure I am giving myself a chance to get a good feel on the program before I finalize anything

4 weeks to Match Day!!!
I know this means little, but time passes so quickly, think of your vet school journey. In the end, things happen as they will and it will always be how you handle yourself in the end anyway, so worrying over the details such as are you making the right decision is really pretty meaningless. <3 You make everything as awesome or blech as you desire. Knowing you, it doesn't matter where you go, you'll kick ass and do just fine.

I asked my friend who is a final year at Wisconsin and she said she hasn't heard anything but she doesn't personally know anyone applying for internships there.

Yeah ugh, I have a general idea of how I want to rank things, but I have three interviews left this week and don't want to jump the gun. I've already been pleasantly (and unpleasantly) surprised on a few interviews now, so I want to make sure I am giving myself a chance to get a good feel on the program before I finalize anything
Same - and honestly some of these interviews are just making it harder! I thought I had at least a solid top three, but a few of the programs I applied to out of curiosity are so much more appealing after the interview that I'm no longer positive how I want to rank.

I feel like ranking is the toughest part of the whole program!

I haven't heard from them. Also haven't heard from CSU, TAMU, or Ohio St yet.

Ohio State typically doesn't schedule interviews, they just call out of the blue. So if you get a call from a 614 area code, answer it!

I know this means little, but time passes so quickly, think of your vet school journey. In the end, things happen as they will and it will always be how you handle yourself in the end anyway, so worrying over the details such as are you making the right decision is really pretty meaningless. <3 You make everything as awesome or blech as you desire. Knowing you, it doesn't matter where you go, you'll kick ass and do just fine.
Thank you Lupes. <3 I really appreciate it! It is crazy to think about how fast (and also not fast) vet school went. :laugh:

Do you guys know if internship programs often reach out between our rank deadline and their rank deadline, to ask how we ranked them? Or is that not allowed?

Do you guys know if internship programs often reach out between our rank deadline and their rank deadline, to ask how we ranked them? Or is that not allowed?

Your rank is confidential. Same for the program's rank. The Terms of Service that the program agrees to indicates that the program will not ask candidates about their ranking. And there's really no good reason to do that anyway.

Last edited:
Same - and honestly some of these interviews are just making it harder! I thought I had at least a solid top three, but a few of the programs I applied to out of curiosity are so much more appealing after the interview that I'm no longer positive how I want to rank.

I feel like ranking is the toughest part of the whole program!

This is exactly how I feel. I think it's intereseting this year with COVID that I (and probably a lot of other candidates) are able to interview with a lot more programs since it's more feasible if they're all virtual. So yeah some programs I also applied to out of curiosity have become much more appealing as well and I don't think that would be the case if it weren't for COVID. the Match will be interesting I think!

I wish i knew how many interview invites places sent out. I know it varies from place to place but do places send out "you are a top applicant/we enjoyed reviewing your application/thank you for applying" to lots and lots of applicants? Or should getting an email like that make me feel more secure in matching somewhere? Imposter syndrome coming in hot this month...

I wish i knew how many interview invites places sent out. I know it varies from place to place but do places send out "you are a top applicant/we enjoyed reviewing your application/thank you for applying" to lots and lots of applicants? Or should getting an email like that make me feel more secure in matching somewhere? Imposter syndrome coming in hot this month...
Yeah I have no idea either. Some sound more like it's a selective invitation and others seem more like they are interviewing quite a few candidates (but you were at least included, which is nice!)

Some hospitals have said “we think you would fit in well at this internship” and it still fees like a trap- like they say that to everyone, yeah?

• Haha
Some hospitals have said “we think you would fit in well at this internship” and it still fees like a trap- like they say that to everyone, yeah?
lol I've had a few comments on very specific aspects of my application and I'm like "well they just say that about everyone"

I wish I didn't hate myself so much :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Haha
Yeah I've literally had a small internship say we'd be very lucky to have you and I swing wildly between "Damn straight!" and "lol they were just being nice" with literally nothing in-between. Fabulous.

• Care
  • Haha
Yeah I've literally had a small internship say we'd be very lucky to have you and I swing wildly between "Damn straight!" and "lol they were just being nice" with literally nothing in-between. Fabulous.
I've also had quite a few welcome me to the profession and say they're looking forward to having me as a colleague even if I don't end up at their internship and I'm like ??????? colleague????? oh no honey, you do not know how strange of a colleague I am

• Haha
Y'all are silly and absolutely wonderful. Any of these programs would be lucky to have you! I'm just popping in to say good luck with your remaining interviews :biglove: I guess I'll be in your shoes in a couple years if my PhD side path doesn't kill me.

Y'all are silly and absolutely wonderful. Any of these programs would be lucky to have you! I'm just popping in to say good luck with your remaining interviews :biglove: I guess I'll be in your shoes in a couple years if my PhD side path doesn't kill me.

laughs nervously as I am actively interviewing for lab animal residencies combined with PhDs lol

• Haha
is it appropriate to open this discussion up to program specifics and what we've found out? Because I need someone to convince me to rank Ohio... on paper it seems great but its just missing something I feel like

Does anyone know which academic rotating internships have sent out interview invites already? Just wanting to know whether I was passed over, or my top choice hasn't reached out yet!

is it appropriate to open this discussion up to program specifics and what we've found out? Because I need someone to convince me to rank Ohio... on paper it seems great but its just missing something I feel like

If you're talking about Ohio State's small animal rotating internship, I did mine there. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. If that's not what you're talking about then feel free to ignore me :)

Does anyone know which academic rotating internships have sent out interview invites already? Just wanting to know whether I was passed over, or my top choice hasn't reached out yet!

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard from CSU, UF, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, and Ohio.

And not heard from Cornell, NC State, and UGA

I can definitely chat about the school from a student perspective/being friends with a lot of the current interns.

To add to this, I know people who have heard from Illinois and Mizzou as well

Thanks for letting me know - was hoping to have heard from UF at this point but alas 😐

The NC State general rotating internship doesn't interview, but their medicine emphasis internship does!

The NC State general rotating internship doesn't interview, but their medicine emphasis internship does!

Good to know. I’m thinking that UGA might not either now that I think about it.