2021 VIRMP MATCH!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Wanted to start this thread to see where people end up! I am applying to lab animal residencies this year! Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I also applied to lab animal residencies! Just waiting to hear about interviews, definitely not panic checking my email every 10 minutes nope 😅

Reactions: 1 user
I also applied to lab animal residencies! Just waiting to hear about interviews, definitely not panic checking my email every 10 minutes nope 😅

Awesome! Do you know when like the last day would be for interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Do you know when like the last day would be for interview invites?
Applicant rank lists are due Feb 12 so interviews would most likely be concluding the week prior to that. My year ranks were due Jan 20 and my last interview was Jan 11. That being said, I don't think there's a deadline for offering an interview, just depends on when each program gets their lists together.

I’m also applying to lab animal residencies :) would anyone be interested in sharing when they hear about interviews, kind of like what they do for vet school invites? Then we can stay up on when certain schools are sending things out :). Just a thought!

I’m also applying to lab animal residencies :) would anyone be interested in sharing when they hear about interviews, kind of like what they do for vet school invites? Then we can stay up on when certain schools are sending things out :). Just a thought!
Yeah I'd be interested for sure!

Sure. I've heard from Missouri, Baylor, Vanderbilt, and LSU so far.

Sweet! I’ve heard from Missouri too. It’s so nerve wracking! Have you heard if Davis has sent anything out yet? I’m thinking not but not sure

Sweet! I’ve heard from Missouri too. It’s so nerve wracking! Have you heard if Davis has sent anything out yet? I’m thinking not but not sure
Didn't apply there so not sure.

Heard from Johns Hopkins this morning.

I'm applying for small animal rotating internships this go around. just waiting on one LOR and will be submitting my application shortly. I know you can submit at any time but I'd like to send a complete packet. anyone else applying for small animal rotating?

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard from Oklahoma and MIT as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow so many! I didn’t apply to any of those haha. Congratulations on getting so many interviews!

Haha thanks!! I honestly wasn't expecting to get so many either so I applied broadly and it's been a nice surprise. What other schools did you apply to?

@cheathac That’s great! I applied to Davis, Mizzou, Colorado, Cornell, North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Oregon state, Penn, Stanford, and Wake Forest :)

Heard from tri-institutional and emory yesterday!

Heard from Washington University today. Was surprised since I wasn't expecting to hear anything today or tomorrow!

Hmmm I’ve only gotten an interview from MIT on Dec 23rd... Anyone hear from Stanford or the CDC?

Does anyone know if you’ll hear if they decline to interview you or you just hear nothing? This is like vet school apps all over again!

Hmmm I’ve only gotten an interview from MIT on Dec 23rd... Anyone hear from Stanford or the CDC?

Does anyone know if you’ll hear if they decline to interview you or you just hear nothing? This is like vet school apps all over again!
I'm waiting to hear from those places as well, and wondering the same thing lol I've heard from one program that declined to interview so hoping the others will do so as well!

Hopefully we will hear from more places this coming week! Also hoping that if we are declined an interview that they would tell us.

Just be aware there are some places that are super short staffed during the holiday weeks so if you don't hear anything, it might not mean anything other than because of the delays in deadlines this year the holidays are having more of an impact.

Heard from UNC Chapel Hill today

I heard from the Ohio State University and University of Michigan LAM programs today (12/31/2020)

I heard from Johns Hopkins and MIT!

Heard from Texas A&M today, and got an update from CDC that interviews will likely be Jan. 26-28 and that they'll be sending invites Jan. 15th.

Awesome! I heard from A&M as well. The last couple of schools I'm waiting on are Tulane and Wake Forest. Has anyone heard from them?

Awesome! I heard from A&M as well. The last couple of schools I'm waiting on are Tulane and Wake Forest. Has anyone heard from them?
Still waiting on wake forest as well, didn't apply to tulane.

I’m a resident at Tulane; the university has been closed officially for the holidays until yesterday. I’m sure that the resident selection committee is going to be meeting soon and updating applicants accordingly.

I’m a resident at Tulane; the university has been closed officially for the holidays until yesterday. I’m sure that the resident selection committee is going to be meeting soon and updating applicants accordingly.

Thank you so much!

I’m still waiting on Wake Forest too!

Awesome to see this exists! I've heard from Tri-I, NYU/Regeneron, and UNC Chapel Hill. Crickets so far from Yale, Cornell, U-Penn, and Rutgers. If anyone has heard from them, I'd love to hear about it so I know not to get my hopes up!

Also, any thoughts on reaching out to the programs if we don't hear? Or should we expect a response, even if it's a negative one, in either case?

I’m so very glad I found this thread as well! I’m also waiting on U-Penn and Yale, but also Minnesota-Mayo Clinic and Wake Forest. I’d be glad to know if anyone hears from them! And good luck to everyone as they start their interview process!

Have you received an interview date from MIT yet? I got the email offering me an interview and they said they’d get back in touch about a date in January, but I’m paranoid I missed that follow up email 😅
You’re not alone!!

Have you received an interview date from MIT yet? I got the email offering me an interview and they said they’d get back in touch about a date in January, but I’m paranoid I missed that follow up email 😅
I also have not received a follow up email from MIT.

Like others have said, no follow up yet!

Hey everyone! I've been creeping and I had interviews at places already mentioned (including UChicago)! Does anyone who has already interviewed for LAM residencies have any additional tips/ advice for the structure of the interview? Some interviews are all day others are only 30 minutes! Some are very formal, others are casual opportunities to ask further questions about the program. Any insight on interviews thus far would be greatly appreciated ^_^ . Especially for UWashington, I haven't heard from anyone who has interviewed there yet. I'm also waiting to hear back from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Davis. Thanks!

Sure! So far, I've interviewed (or been offered an interview with a description of what to expect) at the following:
  • NYU/Regeneron: 90 minutes long, including a 20-30 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing. Pretty well structured, started with introductions of those on the call (~10-15 people), followed by my presentation, a few questions from faculty regarding the presentation, then into more standardized interview questions. Final 10 minutes or so dedicated to answering my questions about the position.
  • UNC Chapel Hill: 30 minutes long, started with brief introduction of those on the call (<10 people), overview of the residency program, a few standardized questions (one per clinician), and finally answering questions I had.
  • Tri-I: ~7 hours long, including a 20-30 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing. Very, very structured. ~30 minute interviews primarily 1:1 (sometimes 2 or 3:1) with all upper level staff. Haven't had it yet (next week!) but that's the overview!
  • Cornell: 1 hour long, haven't had it yet (next week!) but will report back!

Hey everyone! I've been creeping and I had interviews at places already mentioned (including UChicago)! Does anyone who has already interviewed for LAM residencies have any additional tips/ advice for the structure of the interview? Some interviews are all day others are only 30 minutes! Some are very formal, others are casual opportunities to ask further questions about the program. Any insight on interviews thus far would be greatly appreciated ^_^ . Especially for UWashington, I haven't heard from anyone who has interviewed there yet. I'm also waiting to hear back from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Davis. Thanks!
I did preliminary UW earlier this week it was a 45 minute intro. Nothing exciting or crazy just basic interview questions. They said they’d invite back for a longer interview later.

Heard from Stanford and Yale today. Stanford gave blocks of 30 minutes for interviews. Heard from MIT yesterday and they finalized the interview schedule today. I was surprised because I thought we’d have longer interviews with them...

Last edited:
I've heard from Yale & Mayo Clinic (Minnesota) today and finalized interview date/time for MIT yesterday. Today I got an email to start setting up finalized time/date for interview at University of Michigan.

I had an interview with UWashington earlier this week. Scheduled for 30 min but eneded up being close to 40-45min. Started with them giving brief introductions then having a different faculty member asking me a question. Then the last 10 min or so was me asking them questions!

Just curious but I'm assuming all your guys' interviews are over Zoom? Make sure you are getting time to get your questions answered - remember this is about finding a good fit both for the program but also for you! Back in my day (I'm old now jebus) most of my interviews were full day events with one video interview that was still a couple of hours, and if you haven't had a chance to visit in person thanks to COVID you want to make sure you are finding out as much about the program as you can before you decide how to rank them. That will be 2+ years of your life you are dedicating to working with them and preparing you for your future career so you want to do what you can to ensure its a good fit on both ends.

Sorry I don't mean to sound scary or anything, I'm just surprised at 30 minute interviews and can't imagine how that would be enough time to get a good sense of the program. On paper places can appear very different from in person, and of course there are also cultural differences (like work culture) and personality things at each place that you'll want to consider if you have the chance.

I would also 100% recommend requesting time with or at least contact information for any current residents at the programs you're interviewing at. They will be the best sources for how the program works and feels from a residents' perspective and may also be able to tell you things that faculty wouldn't or can't or don't even know about.

Good luck everyone! And as always, feel free to PM me if you want to chat about anything lab animal :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just curious but I'm assuming all your guys' interviews are over Zoom? Make sure you are getting time to get your questions answered - remember this is about finding a good fit both for the program but also for you! Back in my day (I'm old now jebus) most of my interviews were full day events with one video interview that was still a couple of hours, and if you haven't had a chance to visit in person thanks to COVID you want to make sure you are finding out as much about the program as you can before you decide how to rank them. That will be 2+ years of your life you are dedicating to working with them and preparing you for your future career so you want to do what you can to ensure its a good fit on both ends.

Sorry I don't mean to sound scary or anything, I'm just surprised at 30 minute interviews and can't imagine how that would be enough time to get a good sense of the program. On paper places can appear very different from in person, and of course there are also cultural differences (like work culture) and personality things at each place that you'll want to consider if you have the chance.

I would also 100% recommend requesting time with or at least contact information for any current residents at the programs you're interviewing at. They will be the best sources for how the program works and feels from a residents' perspective and may also be able to tell you things that faculty wouldn't or can't or don't even know about.

Good luck everyone! And as always, feel free to PM me if you want to chat about anything lab animal :)
Yup all of mine have been over Zoom so far so it does make me a bit nervous on ranking places I've never been to so I've been trying to ask as many questions as I can at the end to learn more about the programs. A lot of mine have been 30 min, BUT this is an initial interview. Most of these programs said they'll be reaching out to have another longer interview once they've interviewed all of their candidates initially and finidng who they think would be the bets fits.

On the receiving end this year, we are struggling with this hard. My program set up a video interview website where applicants will record themselves answering 10 questions initially, then after we will interview them on Zoom. Not everyone's personality really comes out in the recorded videos, and the Zoom interviews are only about 20 minutes each. So hard to actually get to know the applicants and like you said they can't visit us either :(

Just updating with Yale's format - series of 30 minute, 1:1 interviews lasting anywhere from 5-6 hours.