2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe that Dublin and Cleveland are the most competitive since there are less seats available.
Unless you have a connection to those cities, if accepted you will probably end up in Athens. Especially if you are OOS
First they accept you and then they look at your campus choice. I personally have Athens as my last choice because your 3rd and 4th year you are sent out throughout the whole state for rotations. For Cleveland, they have a connection to the Cleveland clinic.
For Dublin, they have a connection to Ohio Health.

Thanks! I’m just going to keep Athens as my #1 since I’m OOS with low mcat. Surprised my 49x wasn’t screened maybe they’re holistic

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted the secondary. I only got confirmation that my payment went through. Did anyone get an email saying it was successfully submitted or something? Also that 5 year contract is some serious stuff 😂

Reactions: 1 user
They make you sign a binding contract if you're OOS to have you practice in Ohio for 5 years post-grad. I barely know my plans for a week from now, how can I make such a big decision right now? LOL

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted the secondary. I only got confirmation that my payment went through. Did anyone get an email saying it was successfully submitted or something? Also that 5 year contract is some serious stuff 😂
FYI, I've heard that if you do well in the first two years there is a scholarship you could earn to get out of the contract. You also have the option to just pay the OOS tuition which is obviously a lot.
It is a pretty big commitment I think residency counts so you could theoretically do a long residency in Ohio and be done.

Reactions: 2 users
They make you sign a binding contract if you're OOS to have you practice in Ohio for 5 years post-grad. I barely know my plans for a week from now, how can I make such a big decision right now? LOL
I am an OOS student that will be starting this August (also a previous Summer Scholar accepted in July 2021) and about four months after I was accepted I received an email that my contract was being waived because I was selected for the Out-of-State Scholars Program (OSSP). Details that I received are below. I also know of one other OOS Summer Scholar that was accepted, and I know that they were also selected for OSSP. So if you are an OOS student and you feel like you really align with the mission of OU-HCOM do not be scared off by the contract. If for some reason you are not selected for the OSSP but match outside of Ohio and do not wish to return, you can pay to terminate the contract although it will be expensive (do not quote me on this but I want to say we were told its around 30K but I very well could be incorrect on this.)

"The OSSP is an acknowledgement that you, as an accepted out-of-state student to OU-HCOM, have been identified as a candidate that brings many positive attributes and characteristics to OU-HCOM that lend to our institutional and social mission. Your selection as an OSSP participant exempts you from the five year out-of-state contract obligation."

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I believe that Dublin and Cleveland are the most competitive since there are less seats available.
Unless you have a connection to those cities, if accepted you will probably end up in Athens. Especially if you are OOS
First they accept you and then they look at your campus choice. I personally have Athens as my last choice because your 3rd and 4th year you are sent out throughout the whole state for rotations. For Cleveland, they have a connection to the Cleveland clinic.
For Dublin, they have a connection to Ohio Health.
Incoming first year — here are some estimated numbers of seat count so you can gauge capacity— I think Athens was roughly 125 students Dublin was 72ish students and Cleveland was 62 students

• Campus Statement, Cleveland: Tell us about an experience or experiences that has/have prepared you to enter medicine and how you feel you will impact your community in or around Cleveland, Akron or Northeast Ohio.
  • Campus Statement, Dublin: Tell us about an experience or experiences that has/have prepared you to enter medicine and how you feel you will impact your community in or around Dublin, Columbus, or Central Ohio.

@PapaGuava
What have you guys been saying for these? I'm OOS and don't know what to write about that will connect me with any of these regions

What have you guys been saying for these? I'm OOS and don't know what to write about that will connect me with any of these regions
I currently live in Columbus which Dublin is a suburb of it.I have plenty to talk about based on my job here.
As for Cleveland I used the census bureau and mentioned the population that I want to work with.

I currently live in Columbus which Dublin is a suburb of it.I have plenty to talk about based on my job here.
As for Cleveland I used the census bureau and mentioned the population that I want to work with.
How much did you write for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
worth applying as an OOS student? good mission fit, but no ties to Ohio.

worth applying as an OOS student? good mission fit, but no ties to Ohio.
HCOM really likes mission fit. Combined with good stats (at least around their avg) and community service, you have a great shot at getting an acceptance. They also have a post-grad contract for OOS but it can be waived (see Ouiser's post above, #55). As some others have mentioned, do some research about the campus you're interested in and the population, and write about that to establish a "personal interest" tie even if you don't directly a physical tie to the area or OH.

REceived this today. Received the invite to apply for " Cleveland campus’ Transformative Care Continuum program, an accelerated Family Medicine track! "

Thank you for submitting your application to the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine! After reviewing your primary and secondary applications, you have been identified as a student who might be interested in applying for the Cleveland campus’ Transformative Care Continuum program, an accelerated Family Medicine track! Students selected for the program will complete a three-year medical school curriculum and commit to a three-year family medicine residency at either Cleveland Clinic Akron General Hospital or Cleveland Clinic Lakewood Family Health Center.

Yeah, I did not a confirmation that it was submitted. Just the payment confirmation.

REceived this today. Received the invite to apply for " Cleveland campus’ Transformative Care Continuum program, an accelerated Family Medicine track! "

Thank you for submitting your application to the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine! After reviewing your primary and secondary applications, you have been identified as a student who might be interested in applying for the Cleveland campus’ Transformative Care Continuum program, an accelerated Family Medicine track! Students selected for the program will complete a three-year medical school curriculum and commit to a three-year family medicine residency at either Cleveland Clinic Akron General Hospital or Cleveland Clinic Lakewood Family Health Center.
+1

Secondary submitted today, Athens #1

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Is there a way to change the campus choices after submitting secondary?

Actually, no for me and the other applicant in this forum. Some in the TCC program told me that it was a 2-day interview and decisions would be announced in spring. Things are moving ahead of schedule this year—only eight spots and super competitive for obvious reasons. I am OOS and was surprised to get the invite for secondary. How about you? IS or OOS?

Actually, no for me and the other applicant in this forum. Some in the TCC program told me that it was a 2-day interview and decisions would be announced in spring. Things are moving ahead of schedule this year—only eight spots and super competitive for obvious reasons. I am OOS and was surprised to get the invite for secondary. How about you? IS or OOS?
OOS and was also surprised. I chose to reply as uninterested so hopefully that helps you guys move forward

Did anyone get a secondary but did not get the temporary password? I got both emails, but the 2nd one with my username doesn't have my temporary password

Received the secondary for the TCC program! Is there a private groupchat for this I can be added to?

Any consequences of traditional admission if I decline the TCC program? I'm not interested in family medicine, but I feel it looks bad rejecting them.

IS, Interview Invite today. Was assigned to 9/13. It did not allow me to pick.

Has anyone received a confirmation email after RSVPing for the interview on the secondary portal?

Does getting an invite for the TCC program go out to everyone? Or select applicants?