2022-2023 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Montana)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any information on MCOM tuition prices and financial aid? I haven’t been able to find anything on the website specific to the Montana campus.
financial aid is private loans the first 2 years, mentioned during my interview day, tuition not sure of

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any information on MCOM tuition prices and financial aid? I haven’t been able to find anything on the website specific to the Montana campus.
They haven't finalized COA yet, though they noted it would likely be like right around RVUs, ie $62k. No federal loans the first two years, just private (due to being a new for profit school) and then they'll qualify for federal loans.

There is not nearly the support from the hospital systems for the Touro school as there is for mcom, per certain executives i have spoken to. They see the great falls school as excessive. It's also not very far along. I don't think they've even come close to breaking ground.

Also, per Dr. Park and Dr. Lee, their plans are to push for 50% increase in residency slots in MT over the next few years. The governor is heavily involved in MCOMs development and it sounds like more money may flow towards residency programs.

Of course, these are all plans that MCOM purports, but i have a lot of faith in Dr. Park.
This might be true, but I’ve also talked to several physicians and staff members from med schools that already send students to MT hospitals for rotations, and they see both MCOM and Touro as excessive. I’ve started filling out a primary app for both these schools, but I’m hesitant to actually pull the trigger because I’m concerned about lack of resources and I fear that MT hospitals will give priority to WWAMI, PNWU, and ICOM students. Both MCOM and Touro have great parent campuses, but I’m still not sure yet whether I’ll apply to these new campuses. If you have anymore optimistic insight on this topic, I’d love to hear it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if someone already asked, what is the post-II acceptance rate to the other RVU campuses? Will it be similar to Montana campus?

This might be true, but I’ve also talked to several physicians and staff members from med schools that already send students to MT hospitals for rotations, and they see both MCOM and Touro as excessive. I’ve started filling out a primary app for both these schools, but I’m hesitant to actually pull the trigger because I’m concerned about lack of resources and I fear that MT hospitals will give priority to WWAMI, PNWU, and ICOM students. Both MCOM and Touro have great parent campuses, but I’m still not sure yet whether I’ll apply to these new campuses. If you have anymore optimistic insight on this topic, I’d love to hear it!
Not sure. All i can say is that a) community members i talked to aren't thrilled about WWAMI because, allegedly, they don't do a very good at making physicians that stay in montana and b) the community is extremely excited and supportive of the medical school from local politicians and leaders to state government.

Hi everyone. I was looking to see if the secondary prompts were posted and didn't see them in the thread. Did I miss them? Thanks!

Hi everyone. I was looking to see if the secondary prompts were posted and didn't see them in the thread. Did I miss them? Thanks!
It's a single prompt:

"What unique characteristics, abilities or skills will you bring to help advance the mission and vision of MCOM? (No limit)"

For those that did not get the emails from interviewers, did you email admissions to ask?
Or does this school prefer thank you letters to not send to interviewers?
I was told to send thank-you’s to admissions and they will pass them along to the interviewers.

For those that did not get the emails from interviewers, did you email admissions to ask?
Or does this school prefer thank you letters to not send to interviewers?

the directions were in the post interview portal iirc

also if anyone needs to hear it, i didn’t send a follow up thank you letter since i spent time doing so in the interview and i still got accepted so don’t stress too much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure. All i can say is that a) community members i talked to aren't thrilled about WWAMI because, allegedly, they don't do a very good at making physicians that stay in montana and b) the community is extremely excited and supportive of the medical school from local politicians and leaders to state government.
There is a better chance of having 30 WWAMI students returning to MT to be physicians rather than 80 additional students (plus 125 from Touro). Also WWAMI has the TRUST program, which is specifically built for students to return to underserved communities in MT. I still strongly feel that more money should have been put into residency programs rather than 2 new med schools in the same year. To me, that's how you can really get more physicians to stay in MT.

There is a better chance of having 30 WWAMI students returning to MT to be physicians rather than 80 additional students (plus 125 from Touro). Also WWAMI has the TRUST program, which is specifically built for students to return to underserved communities in MT. I still strongly feel that more money should have been put into residency programs rather than 2 new med schools in the same year. To me, that's how you can really get more physicians to stay in MT.
Idk man. I'm just telling you what I, myself, was told. The excitement about the school here, in Billings, is quite palpable.

Let’s be honest everyone is gonna be wary about a new school and throw it into the bad boy bucket, hell even if PCOM just came out ppl would do the same, go where you vibe with

Reactions: 4 users
I just read up on the great falls Touro campus. I didn't realize they were as far along as they are. Supposedly they're interviewing students for their July 2023 class. Irdk what to make of that.

EDIT: They must not be taking applications yet though. Their campus isn't on ChooseDO or AACOMAS yet.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest everyone is gonna be wary about a new school and throw it into the bad boy bucket, hell even if PCOM just came out ppl would do the same, go where you vibe with
I think this is true. Until the campus proves itself, nothing is for sure. Excitement is just future promises that may or may not come true. And I am certainly a little nervous about the being new.

But overall, I am excited that Montana is attracting attention of the medical education world. We certainly need the physicians. More physicians being trained here means that more focus will come from the state on developing new residency programs because we will want to retain people that do come here for school. And I really do have faith in Dr. Park and in RVU to make their campus work out. Their business model only succeeds if the school can garner the reputation of success.

Reactions: 1 users
I just read up on the great falls Touro campus. I didn't realize they were as far along as they are. Supposedly they're interviewing students for their July 2023 class. Irdk what to make of that.

EDIT: They must not be taking applications yet though. Their campus isn't on ChooseDO or AACOMAS yet.
They’re taking applications, just through the NY secondary application

True, you'll be a doctor regardless of where you attend.

Interviewed today. Now we wait!
The faculty was incredible!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations! How long until you hear back?
Admissions committee meets next Friday on the 11 and we’ll probably hear back on the 14th
Not a bad wait at all but it feels long 😂

anyone submit secondary in sept get an ii yet?

my MCOM portal is weird. it had a check list and now it disappeared, and just says im under review

11/1 interviewees, next week is our week! Wishing everyone the best of luck!
Wondering what day of the week it’ll be!

For those accepted and waitlisted, what time did your phone call / email come?

how to withdraw an acceptance? is there somewhere on the portal to indicate that or email admissions?
From the accepted MCOM student tab, scroll all the way to the bottom. The option is on the right under all the deposits. I would also recommend sending a letter to Jaime of admissions along the following lines:

Dear *NAME* and Admissions Team,

First off, I would like to sincerely thank you for accepting me to *SCHOOL* for this coming year. I was delighted to be accepted and have nothing but the highest regard for your school, your staff, and your students.

I was accepted to another school that better aligns with my goals and plan to matriculate there this coming school year. I am declining my acceptance to *SCHOOL*. My portal reference number is: *NUMBER*.

Again, thank you all for your time and consideration. I wish the best for all of you this admissions cycle.

Sincerely,
*YOUR NAME*
AACOMAS *AACOMAS ID*

Short, sweet, and doesn't burn any bridges.

Reactions: 2 users
My portal says I requested to withdraw even though I did not. Did anyone else have this problem? I was still on the decision delay email list yesterday

Uh oh. Mine isn’t like that. Are you able to undo it, like is there a button
My portal says I requested to withdraw even though I did not. Did anyone else have this problem? I was still on the decision delay email list yesterday

Got the A! Relief is one great emotion 😂

Accepted yesterday at 1102 EST. 5th application cycle. I have not been able to find words that express the emotions that I feel. 513 MCAT (after a 506 then 504), 3.2 GPA through the masters of biomedical sciences at Marian University COM. 3.something cumulative and science in undergrad, nothing great. MCOM is my only interview invite.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted yesterday at 1102 EST. 5th application cycle. I have not been able to find words that express the emotions that I feel. 513 MCAT (after a 506 then 504), 3.2 GPA through the masters of biomedical sciences at Marian University COM. 3.something cumulative and science in undergrad, nothing great. MCOM is my only interview invite.
Congrats

I think MCOM will be a great option for you. I'm delighted you finally got in! That's some dedication.

interviewing in a few weeks! can any recent interviewees share anything about what the experience was like?

interviewing in a few weeks! can any recent interviewees share anything about what the experience was like?

super conversational, relatively relaxed, it was two on one with both faculty alternating! feel free to pm me if you have any more specific questions :)

Reactions: 2 users
gave up my WL spot here, best of luck to you all!

Can anyone share the interview format? How long it take you through the whole process?

I deleted several posts that were not in line with being collegial or helpful.
I know tensions are high and applicants are getting anxious, please lift each other up instead of tearing down.