2022-2023 New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Received an acknowledgement of application 7/18 no secondary yet, IS

Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary today. Will post prompts as soon as I get a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Background and Diversity

At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a dynamic, productive and positive learning environment in addition to promoting cross cultural and cross racial understanding among students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (2000 characters)

Interest and Suitability for a Career in Medicine

There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacles or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician? (2000 characters)

Problem Solving

While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. Imagine you are a physician at a local institution and you notice on 18 occasions in the past week, patients were not administered the correct dose of a medication. When looking into it further, you learned that 17/18 cases occurred right after a physician handoff (defined as the process of transferring role and responsibility for providing care from one physician to another).

Given this scenario, what are the initial steps you and your institution might take to improve the situation? (2000 characters)

Public Health

While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. What do you see as the most significant issues the medical profession will face in the next 20 years, and what are some potential solutions for these problems? (2000 characters)

Self-growth/Teamwork

Teamwork is integral to training and the career of a physician. This kind of work setting entails addressing constant challenges in task execution, communication etc. What is an issue you have encountered working on a team and how did you address and resolve this issue? (2000 characters)

Covid-19 Impact

Please describe how COVID-19 has affected your preparation for applying to medical school. Describe any academic, personal, financial, or professional barriers/disruptions that COVID-19 may have triggered. (2000 characters)

Reapplication

Have you previously submitted an AMCAS application to the University of New Mexico School of Medicine?

Y/N

Please share some of the ways you have improved your application since you last applied. For example, improved MCAT Score, took additional upper level biology courses, increased clinical or volunteer experiences, etc. (200 word limit)

@wysdoc

Hey all, does anyone know what UNM means when they say OOS students should have "strong ties" to apply? I went to school in New Mexico when I was a kid, many of my family members live there, and I spent the past year working there but I don't have residency. I would love to go, but I don't want to waste an application if I have zero chance.

Hey all, does anyone know what UNM means when they say OOS students should have "strong ties" to apply? I went to school in New Mexico when I was a kid, many of my family members live there, and I spent the past year working there but I don't have residency. I would love to go, but I don't want to waste an application if I have zero chance.
I would contact admissions they are very receptive to questions [email protected]

Similar situation. Submitted an appeal and got the secondary within a few days. If you believe you will serve as a physician in NM after medical school then I say submit. But if you have any inclination to leave NM to practice elsewhere after medical school, I wouldn't bother.

Similar situation. Submitted an appeal and got the secondary within a few days. If you believe you will serve as a physician in NM after medical school then I say submit. But if you have any inclination to leave NM to practice elsewhere after medical school, I wouldn't bother.
Wow, thanks for your response! Did you get a rejection email and then submit an appeal from there?

Wow, thanks for your response! Did you get a rejection email and then submit an appeal from there?
Yes, I received an email basically saying because of my residency status I would no longer be considered and that if I would like to appeal to send in the attached form to the provided email address :) Got a response pretty quickly, sent in my documentation (my husband is stationed here for military so I sent in the req documentation) and then got the secondary the next day!

II received this morning OOS but alumni and from NM

Members don't see this ad :)
II received today, IS applicant. Over the moon!

+1 II completed 8/11. So happy!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else have their interview Monday 9/19? I'm preparing, but the anxiety is beginning to build. Received a packet in the mail yesterday with information - the program really looks awesome.

Anyone else have their interview Monday 9/19? I'm preparing, but the anxiety is beginning to build. Received a packet in the mail yesterday with information - the program really looks awesome.
I interview on Monday as well! Planning on calling Friday to figure out the details of everything. I haven't received my packet yet, was wondering if that will show up in time for my interview lol. Any important information in the packet?

Edit: Packet just showed up in the mail

Last edited:
I interview on Monday as well! Planning on calling Friday to figure out the details of everything. I haven't received my packet yet, was wondering if that will show up in time for my interview lol. Any important information in the packet?

Edit: Packet just showed up in the mail
You gotta love that timing. Check out the PIE program, I'm jazzed about that.

You gotta love that timing. Check out the PIE program, I'm jazzed about that.
Yeah saw that! Looks like a sweet experience for sure, something I look forward to as well. I have interests in the Rural/Urban underserved opportunities as well but overall there is tons of different programs, groups, and experiences to be had. Fingers crossed for good outcomes for us both come Monday!

II today IS scheduled for the end of October
Had to pass through a pre-req appeals process but excited to be considered

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!
For those that have already interviewed, when did you receive your interview-day schedule? I received an email this morning that they'll be sending an email "later today" so I'm just wondering when that may be, thanks!

For those that have already interviewed, when did you receive your interview-day schedule? I received an email this morning that they'll be sending an email "later today" so I'm just wondering when that may be, thanks!
I believe you are supposed to call the admissions office and do a check-in the business day before, then they will tell you what time you start. I called on Friday because I interviewed on Monday, had a quick chat with admissions and they sent me the Zoom link and interview time while I was on the phone. The actual schedule with interviewer names was given to me upon check-in the day of.

I believe you are supposed to call the admissions office and do a check-in the business day before, then they will tell you what time you start. I called on Friday because I interviewed on Monday, had a quick chat with admissions and they sent me the Zoom link and interview time while I was on the phone. The actual schedule with interviewer names was given to me upon check-in the day of.
Right. However, I'm confused because the email I received this morning specifically told me not to call admissions and that my schedule/zoom link would be sent later today. Maybe because today is a holiday??

Update: Just got the schedule/link around 5:05pm.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the A! I am shook. Feeling very fortunate and overwhelmed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Nice so there's still hope for me then I got my interview scheduled on Friday. Was your interview traditional?
Yes, it was very traditional. Not stressful, just a good chance to show who you are. They said they would likely be getting back to our group in January if you do very well/very poorly, or March for people scoring within the average.

got the R, interviewed in October. Really bummed because I thought I rocked my interview.
So is the myth true that no one gets in here on the first try??

What day in October did you interview if you don't mind me asking?
October 11th. My cohort was told we would either hear back in November or March, no in between. If you haven't heard anything, I would consider it a good sign. Best of luck to you!!

October 11th. My cohort was told we would either hear back in November or March, no in between. If you haven't heard anything, I would consider it a good sign. Best of luck to you!!
I'm sorry to hear, I know that feeling all too well. Persistence is key! Please feel free to reach out if there's anything I can do to help or if you would like any advice. Me personally, I'm a 6th time applicant, talk about a waiting game!!
Anyone who has interviewed - does anyone know approx how many people have been interviewed so far for this cycle?

• Care
I'm sorry to hear, I know that feeling all too well. Persistence is key! Please feel free to reach out if there's anything I can do to help or if you would like any advice. Me personally, I'm a 6th time applicant, talk about a waiting game!!
Anyone who has interviewed - does anyone know approx how many people have been interviewed so far for this cycle?
I think it's hard to say at this point. There were 2 interview dates in October (including the one I attended), and I think 2 in November. They have a standard rolling admissions process, so even if they've interviewed enough candidates for all the seats, there are still plenty of outcomes. Things may change dramatically in the new year when applicants decide on which schools to attend and spots open up.

I think it's hard to say at this point. There were 2 interview dates in October (including the one I attended), and I think 2 in November. They have a standard rolling admissions process, so even if they've interviewed enough candidates for all the seats, there are still plenty of outcomes. Things may change dramatically in the new year when applicants decide on which schools to attend and spots open up.
Thank you! Yes, they usually end up taking around 25 applicants total (on average) from the alternate list come April/May.
Also, I interviewed today, and was told there are approximately 50 spots left (and maybe around 200 interviewees total, but it was a rough estimate).

Reactions: 2 users
Got the A today! My time during the interview showed me how amazing this place is! I love love loved both of my interviewers!

• Love
Got accepted today! Yayyy I'm going to be a doctor!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Second-time applicant here. I got accepted yesterday after interviewing on November 11th! :banana:
For anyone who didn't get in this time around, if you really want to go to school here, you can do it. Just listen to the advice they give you at the post-application workshop and give it your all. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back, and to those of you who have already been accepted, I'll see you in July!

Did anyone here send an update letter or letter of intent?

For those of you with the A, check your portal. Information just posted about Second Look Day. Hope to meet you all there!

Did anyone else interview in November that still has not heard back?

Did anyone else interview in November that still has not heard back?
Based on previous years, people who interviewed in November will most likely not hear back (unless they are apart of the rolling admissions) until the final decision day. I think that sagators2014 is correct that the final decision day will be on the 17th because the last 2 years it has been on the 3rd Friday of February. However, it could be as late as March 15th.

Hey guys, new to SDN but just wanted to say I got the A! Interviewed 11/2 and heard back on 2/17.

I am a 2nd time reapplicant. I improved everything they said to work on after my last R and came back with a master's degree, better MCAT, and maturity! ALso had acceptances from other MD and DO schools.

Just wanted to say its possible! UNM has been my dream for years.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know the first day that we have to be at UNM? I'm trying to plan when I'm going to be moving and stuff like that
Judging by last year's start date, I am guessing July 10 or 17. I think they'll provide more information at Second Look Day next week. They haven't posted the curriculum schedule for Class of 2027 yet.

Ok so UNM is my number one choice school and unless another school offers me a full ride or something crazy, I plan on coming to this school. With that being said, is it necessary and/or beneficial to attend one of the Second Look days? I registered for the April date but the thing is that I'm currently working away from the states and would have to miss about 4 days of work and pay for my flight, lodging, gasoline, etc. Including what ill lose from missing work, I'm looking at about 3k dollars. Is it worth the cost to attend? or just pocket the money for school in a few months?
Pocket the money. UNM with COL is cheap enough that you really won't save a lot of money even with a full ride/full tuition offer

Ok so UNM is my number one choice school and unless another school offers me a full ride or something crazy, I plan on coming to this school. With that being said, is it necessary and/or beneficial to attend one of the Second Look days? I registered for the April date but the thing is that I'm currently working away from the states and would have to miss about 4 days of work and pay for my flight, lodging, gasoline, etc. Including what ill lose from missing work, I'm looking at about 3k dollars. Is it worth the cost to attend? or just pocket the money for school in a few months?
I agree. Pocket the money. I am also out of the states rn for a trip and I’m not coming home for second look because I heard they repeat a lot of the same info for orientation.

Does anyone know if there's like a scholarship application that we must fill out for UNM? Other schools had me fill out applications to be considered for their in-house scholarships
For what it's worth I was fortunate enough to receive a scholarship. I didn't submit any application