2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@cooliyak having practiced in FHQC, what procedures do you recommend us getting the most experience in while dental school? I hear that a lot of FHQC do a lot of amalgams & extractions. Are there any others procedures you wish you did more of in d-school that would have prepared more for working in a FHQC setting? How much do you treat vs refer out?
I would just do my best to learn everything. I currently do anything and everything that I want to except for placing implants (but I do restore them). I haven’t done an amalgam in years. Every site is different though, so I don’t think you know what to expect until you get there. I know IHS sites do lots of amalgams. I also know of FQHCs who do not do fixed or removable.
I am currently only referring out fully impacted 3rds and any endo that I don’t want to do.
 
For this, does it also mean they will determine where we should take our NBME? A bit confused cuz I thought we could choose our sites
That is only for extenuating circumstances that I couldn’t even imagine what they would be. I have seen that in there, but I have never heard of any scholar who has been told either which exam to take or where to practice. But I guess technically, they could.
 
That is only for extenuating circumstances that I couldn’t even imagine what they would be. I have seen that in there, but I have never heard of any scholar who has been told either which exam to take or where to practice. But I guess technically, they could.
Thank you for the information!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of curiosity, how does it work if you decide you want to specialize after serving your required years at the HRSA sites?
 
hey guys, for the contract that pops up after we submit our w4 form and our EVF, by signing it electronically (entering our SSN and password), is that signing the contract that popped up in PDF form?
 
Hi everyone,
I'm a finalist that received the email on 8/8. Today, I received an email saying that my W-4 was incomplete. However, I wasn't sure what I did wrong, as I filled out my name, SS, my address, and filing status and I left step 2 to 4 blank. So I called Customer Care and a lady, Julia, told me that we need to put "0" in step 5 for deduction. I didn't know what is the meaning of that as the first page did not have any step 5 that require to fill out for deduction except our signature. So I filled out everything again and input in "0" for every "$" I see and resubmit. Is anyone having the same issue?
 
Hi everyone,
I'm a finalist that received the email on 8/8. Today, I received an email saying that my W-4 was incomplete. However, I wasn't sure what I did wrong, as I filled out my name, SS, my address, and filing status and I left step 2 to 4 blank. So I called Customer Care and a lady, Julia, told me that we need to put "0" in step 5 for deduction. I didn't know what is the meaning of that as the first page did not have any step 5 that require to fill out for deduction except our signature. So I filled out everything again and input in "0" for every "$" I see and resubmit. Is anyone having the same issue?
I don’t think I put a 0 in step 5 and don’t see a place to do that either… I haven’t heard anything from them yet. I submitted my W4 on 8/10 though so maybe they haven’t gotten to mine. I’ll keep you posted.
 
Hi everyone,
I'm a finalist that received the email on 8/8. Today, I received an email saying that my W-4 was incomplete. However, I wasn't sure what I did wrong, as I filled out my name, SS, my address, and filing status and I left step 2 to 4 blank. So I called Customer Care and a lady, Julia, told me that we need to put "0" in step 5 for deduction. I didn't know what is the meaning of that as the first page did not have any step 5 that require to fill out for deduction except our signature. So I filled out everything again and input in "0" for every "$" I see and resubmit. Is anyone having the same issue?
I also dont see where we would put "0" for step 5 since it was just asking for signature and date
 
I'm a finalist that received the email on 8/8. Today, I received an email saying that my W-4 was incomplete. However, I wasn't sure what I did wrong, as I filled out my name, SS, my address, and filing status and I left step 2 to 4 blank. So I called Customer Care and a lady, Julia, told me that we need to put "0" in step 5 for deduction. I didn't know what is the meaning of that as the first page did not have any step 5 that require to fill out for deduction except our signature. So I filled out everything again and input in "0" for every "$" I see and resubmit. Is anyone having the same issue?
That is interesting. The OLD W4 form had a step 5 that required you to answer the number of deductions (basically how many dependents you would be claiming when you filed your taxes), but the IRS changed it in 2018 or 2019 to a different version. I have no idea what they are talking about because step 5 in the current version is only a signature.
 
I also got an email stating that my W-4 was incomplete due to missing signature and date (section 5). I def electronically signed and dated it the first time I submitted it, but idk what happened. I printed it out and signed and scanned it in into the new COI this time. But my email didn’t say anything about inputting a 0 in step 5, just that it needed a signature and date. Step 2-4 I still left blank.
I guess since I resubmitted it already, I'll wait for the evaluation and see what happened. I don't know if this will cause any problem or issue for me to get the scholarship.
 
Hi everyone,
I'm a finalist that received the email on 8/8. Today, I received an email saying that my W-4 was incomplete. However, I wasn't sure what I did wrong, as I filled out my name, SS, my address, and filing status and I left step 2 to 4 blank. So I called Customer Care and a lady, Julia, told me that we need to put "0" in step 5 for deduction. I didn't know what is the meaning of that as the first page did not have any step 5 that require to fill out for deduction except our signature. So I filled out everything again and input in "0" for every "$" I see and resubmit. Is anyone having the same issue?
Hey I also received a finalist notifcation on 8/8 and a few days ago I received the same incomplete W-4 form email. I probably should've printed it out and filled it in but I just did the exact same thing where I typed my name/address/SSN on the pdf and used my tablet to sign step 5, leaving steps 2-4 blank. Hopefully it goes through this time....
 
Hey I also received a finalist notifcation on 8/8 and a few days ago I received the same incomplete W-4 form email. I probably should've printed it out and filled it in but I just did the exact same thing where I typed my name/address/SSN on the pdf and used my tablet to sign step 5, leaving steps 2-4 blank. Hopefully it goes through this time....
I just saw that I didnt put my SSN (honestly didnt even notice it on the W4) but I have not gotten the incomplete email yet
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
even after we're awarded the NHSC SP, do you know if we're still eligible to apply for other scholarships (outside, school, sponsored by ADA) as well?
 
anyone know around when they plan on signing the counter signatures?
according to the 2020-2021 thread
1661088988313.png
 
even after we're awarded the NHSC SP, do you know if we're still eligible to apply for other scholarships (outside, school, sponsored by ADA) as well?
I’m not a loans expert, but I had to navigate this very thing and this is what I was told by my school and was told this was true regardless of school:
If you are receiving loans, regardless of the amount, the school can’t allow aid to be given above the school’s reported COA. This is supposedly a federal standard that if the school does not abide by, they can risk audits and losing the ability to facilitate/distribute federal loans. So, the NHSC SP + other aid including loans/scholarships must be equal to or less than the school’s COA. This means, yes, you can, but it won’t be much unless it goes unreported to the school.
 
I’m not a loans expert, but I had to navigate this very thing and this is what I was told by my school and was told this was true regardless of school:
If you are receiving loans, regardless of the amount, the school can’t allow aid to be given above the school’s reported COA. This is supposedly a federal standard that if the school does not abide by, they can risk audits and losing the ability to facilitate/distribute federal loans. So, the NHSC SP + other aid including loans/scholarships must be equal to or less than the school’s COA. This means, yes, you can, but it won’t be much unless it goes unreported to the school.
thank you so much! this was very helpful!
yes, the scholarships i'm looking at are all like $1,000 haha but i figured it'd be worth a try to have some extra money on hand 🙂

do you know about any scholarships offered by ADA/ADEA and how that might work? thank you again! @cooliyak
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey friends! I’ve heard some people received summer enrollment verification forms via email this past week (if you indicated that you completed summer classes this summer on the original EVF form they gave us when we found out we were finalists).

I didn’t get one of these forms via email. Did you all get one? Do you think this is a bad sign of me getting the official award?
 
thank you so much! this was very helpful!
yes, the scholarships i'm looking at are all like $1,000 haha but i figured it'd be worth a try to have some extra money on hand 🙂

do you know about any scholarships offered by ADA/ADEA and how that might work? thank you again! @cooliyak
No, I don’t. I only received random scholarships/awards for being involved in ASDA/organized dentistry, but I did not apply for anything extra.
 
thank you so much! this was very helpful!
yes, the scholarships i'm looking at are all like $1,000 haha but i figured it'd be worth a try to have some extra money on hand 🙂

do you know about any scholarships offered by ADA/ADEA and how that might work? thank you again! @cooliyak

I just got a 5k scholarship before I found out about this one, and before that a 2K one. My school has a policy that anything over COA gets put back into any loans you have. (Pretty sure that’s how it works). But I happened to get these back because my estimated family contribution went up this year so I was awarded less loans. Confusing.
 
I just got a 5k scholarship before I found out about this one, and before that a 2K one. My school has a policy that anything over COA gets put back into any loans you have. (Pretty sure that’s how it works). But I happened to get these back because my estimated family contribution went up this year so I was awarded less loans. Confusing.
ooh interesting... thanks for sharing!
 
if i indicated on my application that i'm interested in general but decide later i want to go into public health or peds or geriatrics, would that be ok? and vice versa?
 
FYI: if you have a yahoo email account for your login there are issues with them blocking NHSC emails so you may want to call them and change the email to a gmail/hotmail/etc
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Filling the Summer EVF out and saw it said it needed my summer transcripts. Can i just screenshot my grades and use that? Didn’t have a number for me to ask
 
I also filled out the summer EVF, I didn't send in a transcript because we haven't finished our summer semester. Maybe it was reffering to our transcript we already submitted?
 
I also filled out the summer EVF, I didn't send in a transcript because we haven't finished our summer semester. Maybe it was reffering to our transcript we already submitted?
Filling the Summer EVF out and saw it said it needed my summer transcripts. Can i just screenshot my grades and use that? Didn’t have a number for me to ask

No, every EVF you fill out needs a current transcript with it. I would usually just upload my unofficial transcript with it, but I don’t know how picky they are, so a screenshot of grades might work? This first one also might be an exception if you haven’t finished your classes yet, but be ready to upload some form of grade report every semester with your EVFs.
 
This is real random, and I doubt anyone has an answer but a couple people in my class had been wondering if the new loan forgiveness would apply to our loans in dental school? And if so how would that affect NHSC?

I owe more than the loan forgiveness for undergrad so this really isn’t applicable to me but I figured I’d ask.
 
This is real random, and I doubt anyone has an answer but a couple people in my class had been wondering if the new loan forgiveness would apply to our loans in dental school? And if so how would that affect NHSC?

I owe more than the loan forgiveness for undergrad so this really isn’t applicable to me but I figured I’d ask.
if u go here, What You Need to Know About Biden’s Student Loan Forgiveness Plan
it says that "Loans obtained after June 30 are not eligible for relief." so im assuming if ur D2/3/4 then prev loans from dental school (up to 10k) could possibly be canceled but not for any loans borrowed after june 30.

so i dont think it would really affect NHSC tbh?
 
Anybody else not receive a request to send in a summer EVF? I only got the EVF form for Fall when I got the finalist notificaiton.
 
No, every EVF you fill out needs a current transcript with it. I would usually just upload my unofficial transcript with it, but I don’t know how picky they are, so a screenshot of grades might work? This first one also might be an exception if you haven’t finished your classes yet, but be ready to upload some form of grade report every semester with your EVFs.
I emailed the NHSC bursar about this and they told me that for now they understand if theres no summer transcript because they know that people are still in middle of the semester and don;t have their transcripts yet, but if it is required later on then they will request it.
 
Anybody else not receive a request to send in a summer EVF? I only got the EVF form for Fall when I got the finalist notificaiton.
i didn't get one for summer either but its because i didn't indicate i was taking any summer course?
 
Not me seeing that the site will be down for maintenance in a few days and hoping the counter signatures come out shortly after lol
Is this how you know that you've officially received the scholarship? Or is it really when the money hits the school/bank account? lol. We just check the contract we signed to see if they signed their section orr?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an email saying that I didn't upload my Fall 2022 EVF but when I go to the portal it's "received" and when I download the PDF it's the correct form and filled out... Is anyone else experiencing this?