2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Regarding W-4, it's been about a month since I stopped working, do I enter my last job's information for employers only information or do I leave it blank for NHSC to fill out?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regarding W-4, it's been about a month since I stopped working, do I enter my last job's information for employers only information or do I leave it blank for NHSC to fill out?
Leave it blank! Thats for NHSC to fill out on their end.
 
What do I mark down for Last day of classes and tentative graduation date? My school doesn't go that far on their academic calendars.
 
Anyone know if they wait to change your "Under Review" status to denied before Sept 30? is it like dental school where you don't have a hard "no" until the cycle closes?

If it’s like last year, you never really get a denial until like…. Nov lol no portal change (my experience last year)
 
For those marticulating/marticulated at a school different than the one you applied with:

1660232577735.png
 
Last edited:
I just completed my finalist paperwork for the NHSC Scholarship and had a few questions about how the initial tuition payment works if I am accepted if anyone knows. I heard from some people that you will only be reimbursed (once the scholarship kicks in) for what you paid for fall 2022 tuition while waiting for acceptance if you paid through a loan. Is this true? I was hoping to pay the tuition for this semester from my own savings account while I wait for the NHSC scholarship to be disbursed. Will I still be reimbursed the cost of tuition if I pay this way if I get the scholarship?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just completed my finalist paperwork for the NHSC Scholarship and had a few questions about how the initial tuition payment works if I am accepted if anyone knows. I heard from some people that you will only be reimbursed (once the scholarship kicks in) for what you paid for fall 2022 tuition while waiting for acceptance if you paid through a loan. Is this true? I was hoping to pay the tuition for this semester from my own savings account while I wait for the NHSC scholarship to be disbursed. Will I still be reimbursed the cost of tuition if I pay this way if I get the scholarship?
I’m not quite sure I understand the question… but if you are asking if you will be reimbursed even if you pay out of pocket instead of through loans, the answer is yes. The way it works is that the NHSC will pay the school and the school will reverse payment on your tuition. If it is through loans, the loan will be returned. If it is you own personal money, it will be returned to your student account or bank account. Be aware though, that you may not be reimbursed fully at first. Part of what you owe the school will be part of the ORC payment, so you may not break even until you receive that payment as well.
 
What if you have an outstanding balance on your tuition?

Would the payment from a loan be reversed, and the rest of the tuition simply be paid?
 
Last edited:
No problem!

ORC differs per school per applicant. It is yearly (every Oct) and calculated based off of the cost of attendance that the school sends the NHSC. It is supposedly to cover all of the required fees above and beyond just tuition (such as books, etc). The first one is usually larger because they just throw in an extra couple thousand dollars for everyone to buy a new laptop.

They should be scheduling a webinar for all of the new applicants to go into more details about it. A couple weeks after you get your ORC, they usually email a generalized list of how they determined your ORC amount.
Thanks good to know! Did they give extra stipend for laptop purchase even when the school did not list it (along with books) on the tuition bill?
 
Thanks good to know! Did they give extra stipend for laptop purchase even when the school did not list it (along with books) on the tuition bill?
Not extra stipend, but they have been known to tack it onto the first ORC payment just because. They told my scholarship class year during our webinar that they added it to everyone’s ORC deposit. It was a pretty nice surprise.
 
Is anyone unable to open the link to the education verification form after they have signed the contract? I can open the contract and see my electronic signature and my w4, but when I click on the education verification it says "this page is not working." I'm worried that it didn't submit correctly.
 
Is anyone unable to open the link to the education verification form after they have signed the contract? I can open the contract and see my electronic signature and my w4, but when I click on the education verification it says "this page is not working." I'm worried that it didn't submit correctly.
Hmm Im able to see mine. Maybe try restarting your browser and then try to open! Just to confirm, you're talking about opening the already submitted verification, correct?
 
For the EVF where it asks "Is this your final term", is it asking about the last date of class (which I assume means what will be the last day of class for your program but please correct me if i'm am wrong) being our final term or is it asking if the term you're currently in is your final term?
 
For the EVF where it asks "Is this your final term", is it asking about the last date of class (which I assume means what will be the last day of class for your program but please correct me if i'm am wrong) being our final term or is it asking if the term you're currently in is your final term?
this confused me as well ! I put last day of class for the year, because im not doing the 4 years of funding. Ill call them and hopefully its not a big deal
 
Accidentally uploaded the W-4 without signing it. 🙁 called the number as soon as I realized and they said it shouldn't be too big of a problem but still nervous. Anyone know if it'll be fine?
 
Hey all,

I messed up. I'm a finalist who submitted an EVF form today, but I failed to realize there wasn't a checked box at the top where you're supposed to indicate the system your medical school operates on (quarter, trimester, etc). I called customer service and they said they would escalate it to the program but that I likely wouldn't hear a reply before the due date. Is this something that would disqualify me?
So I also ended up forgetting to do something on the paperwork and the lady on the phone said she couldn't guarantee anything but said it should be okay? She also escalated it to the program and said it would take 3-5 days to hear back.
 
I just completed my finalist paperwork for the NHSC Scholarship and had a few questions about how the initial tuition payment works if I am accepted if anyone knows. I heard from some people that you will only be reimbursed (once the scholarship kicks in) for what you paid for fall 2022 tuition while waiting for acceptance if you paid through a loan. Is this true? I was hoping to pay the tuition for this semester from my own savings account while I wait for the NHSC scholarship to be disbursed. Will I still be reimbursed the cost of tuition if I pay this way if I get the scholarship?
I would speak to your financial aid office.
 
For the EVF where it asks "Is this your final term", is it asking about the last date of class (which I assume means what will be the last day of class for your program but please correct me if i'm am wrong) being our final term or is it asking if the term you're currently in is your final term?
When I called they said to put when you graduate and mark "yes" for final term
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Called on the phone earlier and the customer service rep told me she believes it's about the last class date so say yes but when I asked a recipient they said to say no because it is asking about the current term. The question itself just seems so unnecessary because at the top you asked us what type of term we have and then also asked us when our schooling ends and what year we are at. This question is just adding unnecessary confusion.
 
I asked the service rep I talked to whether it was about the last class date and she said no, so I'm hoping with the general lack of consensus about the meaning as well as the repetitiveness of the question it won't be anyone's downfall.
 
that confuses me sooo much. like why ask is it my final term when I already said my graduation date and last date of class like 😵

EDIT: I just called and the rep told me the question was referring to the current term we are enrolled in???
I believe it is actually referring to the current term. So unless you are graduating this semester (which I am assuming none of you are), I would say no. I never did until my last semester, which is why it then asks “if yes, what is your last day of classes”.
 
Hey everyone! So if we haven’t gotten a finalist email by now, is it safe to say we’re out of the running for a scholarship?? I’ve been lurking through past NHSC forums and I’m kinda loosing hope…

they do multiple rounds of finalist emails
 
So i called the customer service rep and she said that if its a matter of dates they will contact us to clear up any confusion because your girl was confused with all the different end dates

I really hope this is the case, because there seems to be a lot of confusion with the dates.

My school officials filled out the last day of classes to be the same as my graduation date, and they checked no for "last term?", since Im not graduating this year.
 
I called NHSC as well 2 days ago and the rep told me to put yes. It doesn’t make sense to me why they asked that but, I turned it in already so hoping it’s right [emoji51]

At the end when you electronically sign the contract, it’ll say the number of years you owe them in return for the number of years you’re on scholarship for so technically they already know the final term for each of us.
I called two days ago too and they told me the same thing. I hope it's right too!
 
I really hope this is the case, because there seems to be a lot of confusion with the dates.

My school officials filled out the last day of classes to be the same as my graduation date, and they checked no for "last term?", since Im not graduating this year.
My school official did the same as well. Hopefully this isn’t a huge deal since someone else explained they know our graduation date and the amount of years we have committed/signed for.
 
Did we have to sign step 5 on the w4 form where it says employee signature. I only filled out step 1 as I’m a student and don’t work. Is this fine?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I called they said to put when you graduate and mark "yes" for final term

I got to the bottom of it. I called them again and the manager verified that the answer is regarding the current term so it’s “no” for us.
Apparently we will have to fill it out every semester/term until graduation. When you’re in your final term, you then select “yes”.

If you already put “yes” and submitted it, call the rep and they will send an email to the analyst, whom will contact you in 3-5 days to correct it. That’s what I had to do.

My rep said it isn’t a big deal since I already signed the contract and they obviously know it’s not my final term.
 
if we fill out the finalist stuff, is there no way out of it after this? its such a short turn around I havent gotten a chance to figure out everything for this year yet.
 
Did we have to sign step 5 on the w4 form where it says employee signature. I only filled out step 1 as I’m a student and don’t work. Is this fine?
They really need to do a better job of explaining everything, but especially this. In life, this form is filled out and a submitted to your employer when you start a new job. Nobody other than your employer should ever receive this form for anything (just a good life lesson for everyone^).
The only reason the NHSC has you fill this out is because, for tax purposes (the stipend they give you is taxable income), the NHSC is considered your employer. It doesn’t matter what other jobs you have or have had in the past or whether or not you are working currently or not. They are your employer. You fill out steps 1-5 where applicable, sign it as the employee, and submit it. They fill in their own information where it asks for employer information, because again, they are your employer.
 
I got to the bottom of it. I called them again and the manager verified that the answer is regarding the current term so it’s “no” for us.
Apparently we will have to fill it out every semester/term until graduation. When you’re in your final term, you then select “yes”.

If you already put “yes” and submitted it, call the rep and they will send an email to the analyst, whom will contact you in 3-5 days to correct it. That’s what I had to do.

My rep said it isn’t a big deal since I already signed the contract and they obviously know it’s not my final term.
This is correct. You will have to fill out this form and submit your transcripts every semester until you graduate in order to continue to receive funding. And then when you graduate, you will have to fill out something similar every 6 months until you complete your contract.