2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I got to the bottom of it. I called them again and the manager verified that the answer is regarding the current term so it’s “no” for us.
Apparently we will have to fill it out every semester/term until graduation. When you’re in your final term, you then select “yes”.

If you already put “yes” and submitted it, call the rep and they will send an email to the analyst, whom will contact you in 3-5 days to correct it. That’s what I had to do.

My rep said it isn’t a big deal since I already signed the contract and they obviously know it’s not my final term.
Thank you so much! I actually called again and they told me the same thing and said "last day of classes" should be your last day enrolled in your program and to mark "yes" for final term (which doesn't make sense). Although, my classmates that received the scholarship last year said that they don't have this option on their EVF form. I'm just going to leave it alone and hopefully like you said it is not a big deal and they should obviously know it's not my last year since my contract says I'm requesting for more than one year.
 
Last edited:
Thank you so much! I actually called again and they told me the same thing and said "last day of classes" should be your last day enrolled in your program and to mark "yes" for final term (which doesn't make sense). Although, my classmates that received the scholarship last year said that they don't have this option on their EVF form. I'm just going to leave it alone and hopefully like you said it is not a big deal and they should obviously know it's not my last year since my contract says I'm requesting for more than one year.
Why is the EVF so confusing LOL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The instructions on the form itself say “Complete Steps 2–4 ONLY if they apply to you; otherwise, skip to Step 5.” So I would say leave them blank if they don’t apply to you and skip to step 5.

Okay, good, because that's exactly what I did but all this talk was making me second guess every little decision and movement haha
 
Okay, good, because that's exactly what I did but all this talk was making me second guess every little decision and movement haha
Well, like I said in another comment, I feel like so much of this could be avoided if the NHSC just gave a little bit more information such as the situation requiring them to give you the form to fill out in the first place or what exactly the finalist step means for you, how “final” are these things you are signing, and what is next. They eventually will explain some more things about the EVF or when deposits/payments come in, but not until weeks after you have already struggled with your school on the next steps for them. So be prepared for that. It’s like “congrats on the award… but here are a bunch more things that don’t make sense”. I’m here to answer those questions for you, so feel free to ask if you can’t find the answer earlier in the thread. You’re ALMOST through the rough part. Once you get into a nice smooth routine with EVFs and receiving funding as you should, it is all good until graduation.
 
Just for reference for the people that check this forum next year: I didn't have any documentation that they ran a credit check but still am a finalist so if you dont have a lot of credit history or whatever it should be fine- I spiraled thinking I was out of the running (like Im sure everyone does) because of this and then got the finalist email
 
Does anyone know if NHSC could reimburse the nonrefundable tuition deposit that we had to pay the school to secure our seat for first-year students?
 
Just for reference for the people that check this forum next year: I didn't have any documentation that they ran a credit check but still am a finalist so if you dont have a lot of credit history or whatever it should be fine- I spiraled thinking I was out of the running (like Im sure everyone does) because of this and then got the finalist email
Thank you for the reassurance! Out of curiosity, did you receive your finalist email during the first wave or later on in the month?
 
ALSO- I graduated under a maiden name and then changed my name so all of my transcript docs were in the old last name. If this also happened to you, you have to submit a copy of your marriage certificate. My passport also matches my new name and lists my maiden name so might look into that too if you are a ~newlywed~
 
They really need to do a better job of explaining everything, but especially this. In life, this form is filled out and a submitted to your employer when you start a new job. Nobody other than your employer should ever receive this form for anything (just a good life lesson for everyone^).
The only reason the NHSC has you fill this out is because, for tax purposes (the stipend they give you is taxable income), the NHSC is considered your employer. It doesn’t matter what other jobs you have or have had in the past or whether or not you are working currently or not. They are your employer. You fill out steps 1-5 where applicable, sign it as the employee, and submit it. They fill in their own information where it asks for employer information, because again, they are your employer.
I called yesterday and they said only fill out step 1 if you dont work/in school. They told me to not sign step 5. 🙆‍♂️
 
Last edited:
I called yesterday and they said only fill out step 1 if you dont work/in school. They told me to not sign step 5. 🙆‍♂️

They're literally telling everyone who calls different things........................

I signed on Step 5.....did everyone else not....?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're literally telling everyone who calls different things........................

I signed on Step 5.....did everyone else not....?
It sounds like they don’t care if you sign it or not. But like you said, they tell everyone who calls a different thing.
I’ll say this though, anyone who has worked a job and filled out a W4 knows how to fill it out and that you sign it before you turn it into your employer— it wouldn’t make sense not to. I signed mine when I turned mine in (I also signed it when I had to change it due to my marital status), and there was no issue throughout my 4 year scholarship.
I’m only answering questions to ease your guys’ anxiety, but if y’all just call about everything anyway…..
 
It sounds like they don’t care if you sign it or not. But like you said, they tell everyone who calls a different thing.
I’ll say this though, anyone who has worked a job and filled out a W4 knows how to fill it out and that you sign it before you turn it into your employer— it wouldn’t make sense not to. I signed mine when I turned mine in (I also signed it when I had to change it due to my marital status), and there was no issue throughout my 4 year scholarship.
I’m only answering questions to ease your guys’ anxiety, but if y’all just call about everything anyway…..
Thank you thank you ♡
We all really, really appreciate you recounting your experiences to guide us through this process! You've definitely eased a lot of new applicants & finalists' worries by your quick turnaround time with answers- I hope you know you're appreciated :")
 
It sounds like they don’t care if you sign it or not. But like you said, they tell everyone who calls a different thing.
I’ll say this though, anyone who has worked a job and filled out a W4 knows how to fill it out and that you sign it before you turn it into your employer— it wouldn’t make sense not to. I signed mine when I turned mine in (I also signed it when I had to change it due to my marital status), and there was no issue throughout my 4 year scholarship.
I’m only answering questions to ease your guys’ anxiety, but if y’all just call about everything anyway…..
Thank you for the feedback! I had called before I saw your response unfortunately so I went and left it black because they told me to. You may be right. At the end of the day like you said hopefully its not too big of a deal and they will let us know if we need to make any corrections on our end. It would be very petty for them to DQ you after all you have put in towards your application because of one minor error.
 
Just for reference for the people that check this forum next year: I didn't have any documentation that they ran a credit check but still am a finalist so if you dont have a lot of credit history or whatever it should be fine- I spiraled thinking I was out of the running (like Im sure everyone does) because of this and then got the finalist email
This was also my case!
 
So I've seen that in past years, tuition seems to be paid between Oct-Dec depending on the individual & school.

What happens with the late fees that are tacked on to tuition being paid months later from when it was posted? My school calculates late fees on a monthly basis and I'm sure mine isn't the only one that calculates late fees.
 
Does anyone know if the ORC payments are the same for every school? I've talked to a few current scholars and they seem to hint that they or their school didn't turn in anything for that part of the award? Anyone heard differently?
 
Does anyone know if the ORC payments are the same for every school? I've talked to a few current scholars and they seem to hint that they or their school didn't turn in anything for that part of the award? Anyone heard differently?

from what i’ve heard each school has a different ORC amount depending on what charges they submit
 
How is the pay when working at an NHSC approved site? I couldn’t find that information on their website.
 
Does anyone know if the ORC payments are the same for every school? I've talked to a few current scholars and they seem to hint that they or their school didn't turn in anything for that part of the award? Anyone heard differently?
Supposedly it is school specific. The NHSC determines it by the school’s reported COA. Scholars don’t submit anything anyway, the bursar does, but if it really is by COA and not invoiced, then it makes sense that nobody submits anything for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the NHSC just standardizes it on the back end anyway though.
 
So I've seen that in past years, tuition seems to be paid between Oct-Dec depending on the individual & school.

What happens with the late fees that are tacked on to tuition being paid months later from when it was posted? My school calculates late fees on a monthly basis and I'm sure mine isn't the only one that calculates late fees.
My experience is that it isn’t a big deal. It may work differently in different places, but my school seemed to understand that delays were just part of the deal. I had a number of semesters where they didn’t receive payment until months later and I never saw a late fee.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you be willing to share your experiences on working at NHSC sites and your pay?
I’ve had experiences all over the spectrum. My first job started off pretty good, but then I got a new boss and it turned into the worst job I could have ever imagine. After I got out of that situation, I landed at what I would consider my dream job. Not only did I stay to finish my scholarship commitment, but I signed a LRP contract for another 2 years and plan on staying well beyond that.

My first job (0 years experience w/o residency) paid me $120k + benefits that they claimed brought my “total compensation” up to $150k. My current job pays me significantly more so my “total compensation” is well into the $200k range. I’ve heard of higher and lower on both ends, but COVID also came in and changed a lot, so I’m not sure what the general salaries are anymore.
 
Anyone else get an email they have to sign a summer EVF (my school has a D1 summer semester)? how do I know if they've received the signed PDF?
 
I’ve had experiences all over the spectrum. My first job started off pretty good, but then I got a new boss and it turned into the worst job I could have ever imagine. After I got out of that situation, I landed at what I would consider my dream job. Not only did I stay to finish my scholarship commitment, but I signed a LRP contract for another 2 years and plan on staying well beyond that.

My first job (0 years experience w/o residency) paid me $120k + benefits that they claimed brought my “total compensation” up to $150k. My current job pays me significantly more so my “total compensation” is well into the $200k range. I’ve heard of higher and lower on both ends, but COVID also came in and changed a lot, so I’m not sure what the general salaries are anymore.

So question, do you have to work at an “approved site” or if I simply find a job on my own in a rural/low income geographical area that qualifies would that satisfy the commitment ?
 
For those of you who are reapplicants, were you notified about not being a finalist the previous years you applied? Like did you get a rejection email or any type of feedback from NHSC? Or did they ghost you?
 
I’ve had experiences all over the spectrum. My first job started off pretty good, but then I got a new boss and it turned into the worst job I could have ever imagine. After I got out of that situation, I landed at what I would consider my dream job. Not only did I stay to finish my scholarship commitment, but I signed a LRP contract for another 2 years and plan on staying well beyond that.

My first job (0 years experience w/o residency) paid me $120k + benefits that they claimed brought my “total compensation” up to $150k. My current job pays me significantly more so my “total compensation” is well into the $200k range. I’ve heard of higher and lower on both ends, but COVID also came in and changed a lot, so I’m not sure what the general salaries are anymore.
Do you mind sharing what states you worked in to hit the 120k and 200K range? Also what is the nature of site(s)? Community health centers/private practice?
 
For those of you who are reapplicants, were you notified about not being a finalist the previous years you applied? Like did you get a rejection email or any type of feedback from NHSC? Or did they ghost you?

There’s a date somewhere that says “you’ll be notified if you’re a finalist by this date” I think late sept or something. I remember being ghosted until then. I think I eventually got a rejection quite awhile after that, but I don’t remember when. But if you haven’t heard by that date you know you didn’t get it.
 
Another random question if someone can answer, if I applied for two years of funding and get approved, it’s for both years right. That’s what I put in for when I signed my contract today. I do not have to reapply next year correct?
 
Another random question if someone can answer, if I applied for two years of funding and get approved, it’s for both years right. That’s what I put in for when I signed my contract today. I do not have to reapply next year correct?
That is correct. Unless you want to extend it beyond those 2 years, if your contract is signed for 2 years, you are set for 2 years.
 
I had this same question lol I signed for 2 years but am considering extending it
Extending it is as simple as reapplying before your funding from them stops. Supposedly you are first preference as a current scholar so it is basically guaranteed that you receive the additional years. You just have to go through the hassle of the application again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@cooliyak having practiced in FHQC, what procedures do you recommend us getting the most experience in while dental school? I hear that a lot of FHQC do a lot of amalgams & extractions. Are there any others procedures you wish you did more of in d-school that would have prepared more for working in a FHQC setting? How much do you treat vs refer out?
 
around how much would you get for the stipend after taxes? (Since it says it’s around 1400 before taxes)?
 
For this, does it also mean they will determine where we should take our NBME? A bit confused cuz I thought we could choose our sites
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 8.40.11 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 8.40.11 AM.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 242