2023-2024 UT San Antonio (Long)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long School of Medicine does not employ written secondary essays, so we won't post prompts here as we do for other schools.

1. Long wants you to take CASPer and Duet, but they do not look at those results until AFTER you have interviewed.

2. If you are invited for an interview, Long will then send you a link to also do a one-way video on the SparkHire platform.

Complete this videotaping before the date you selected for your LIVE (Zoom) interview.


The interview platform is the same as the one used by UTMB this year, so if you have done that one you know what to expect.
Of course Long will have its own set of questions! Get familiar with the platform here: SparkHire FAQS for candidates

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Long School of Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio Interview Feedback
 
Last edited:
Not sure if this was added this cycle but Long now requires for you to complete a SparkHire one-way interview prior to your interview date.

Edit: From what I understand, you are still able to receive an interview invite but have to complete the one-way interview before your interview date (Interview Process | Long School of Medicine)
 
Not sure if this was added this cycle but Long now requires for you to complete a SparkHire one-way interview prior to your interview date.

Edit: From what I understand, you are still able to receive an interview invite but have to complete the one-way interview before your interview date (Interview Process | Long School of Medicine)
That sounds right. Most people will do that SparkHire taped interview when they get an interview invitation from Long - I don't think you can tap into that Long interview site until you are asked to interview.

You should try to get CASPer done while you wait (CASPer will be done once per interview cycle and the same results go to all the schools you select.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That sounds right. Most people will do that SparkHire taped interview when they get an interview invitation from Long - I don't think you can tap into that Long interview site until you are asked to interview.

You should try to get CASPer done while you wait (CASPer will be done once per interview cycle and the same results go to all the schools you select.)
I actually did receive an email from Long saying my application has been received with a link to the interview site! I just think it's not necessary to complete it now since it doesn't affect whether you receive an interview or not.
 
Raised my entire life in SA 🙂
One thing to note with this school (and others): it really ain’t over until it’s over.

I have strong ties to the school and SA (rec letters from faculty), LM 76, fit the mission and was complete late July.

I didn’t get an interview invite from Long until January. So if this is your top choice, keep that anecdotal evidence in mind.
 
One thing to note with this school (and others): it really ain’t over until it’s over.

I have strong ties to the school and SA (rec letters from faculty), LM 76, fit the mission and was complete late July.

I didn’t get an interview invite from Long until January. So if this is your top choice, keep that anecdotal evidence in mind.

Thank you!! This process is so stressful, especially as a reapplicant. Nice to hear it’s not over if I don’t get those August IIs
 
One thing to note with this school (and others): it really ain’t over until it’s over.

I have strong ties to the school and SA (rec letters from faculty), LM 76, fit the mission and was complete late July.

I didn’t get an interview invite from Long until January. So if this is your top choice, keep that anecdotal evidence in mind.
A big problem with texas is that the schools know where else one is being interviewed. As opposed to calling you on your own merits, they are doing some trade offs based on your numbers and your interviews to decide whether you will choose them by calling you late for an interview.
 
A big problem with texas is that the schools know where else one is being interviewed. As opposed to calling you on your own merits, they are doing some trade offs based on your numbers and your interviews to decide whether you will choose them by calling you late for an interview.
Don’t agree with this at all. Most IS high stats applicants get interviews at multiple TX schools. Receiving an interview at one school won’t limit you receiving more down the line at others.
 
Don’t agree with this at all. Most IS high stats applicants get interviews at multiple TX schools. Receiving an interview at one school won’t limit you receiving more down the line at others.
I dont think you read the message. that is precisely my point. You dont want to wait for an interview until January when you are high stat and know you should be getting that interview.

When people interview you in January, in most cases, you dont have a prematch to select from and also miss out on any early scholarships to make a decision about that school.
 
Does anyone have insight on how TMDSAS schools define "high stat"? are they really splitting hairs between a 3.8 and a 3.9? I went through MSAR after seeing people say that TMDSAS values GPA a lot but even for OOS the GPA 10%ile is in the 3.6 range for UT Long.
 
Does anyone have insight on how TMDSAS schools define "high stat"? are they really splitting hairs between a 3.8 and a 3.9? I went through MSAR after seeing people say that TMDSAS values GPA a lot but even for OOS the GPA 10%ile is in the 3.6 range for UT Long.
Not that picky about the exact number
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I dont think any MD texas school has an average gpa lower than 3.7. I think UTRGV or TCU are the lowest
 
We have our Casper/SJT forum though it doesn't cover specifics on the SOWVI.
However, it should be conceptually similar to Casper except you may have to give mostly video recorded responses. Similar to Kira Talent asynchronous.

Please post your questions there so we can keep all the questions on virtual interviewing together.
 
Are we supposed to have access to an application portal of any kind for Long where we can check to make sure they've received everything? If so, how do we access this? (I don't see it in the email that was sent to me upon receipt of my application)
 
Are we supposed to have access to an application portal of any kind for Long where we can check to make sure they've received everything? If so, how do we access this? (I don't see it in the email that was sent to me upon receipt of my application)
No. They said all correspondence would happen through email. Make sure your spam filters are off.
 
I actually did receive an email from Long saying my application has been received with a link to the interview site! I just think it's not necessary to complete it now since it doesn't affect whether you receive an interview or not.
Was wondering if anyone can answer this. They keep SPAMMING reminder emails to do the SWWI and received my “final reminder” email this morning. Anyone else been getting bombarded as well?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haven’t done any interview. These reminders came after the “received your primary application” email
 
Was wondering if anyone can answer this. They keep SPAMMING reminder emails to do the SWWI and received my “final reminder” email this morning. Anyone else been getting bombarded as well?
I'm going to contact them and see if their procedure has changed.
In prior years they only sent this link to people they planned to interview.
I'll report back what I find out.

Answer from Long SOM:
They will only send a live link for SparkHire to people they intend to interview.
They have not sent out any interview invitations yet (as of July 7).


the emails were coming from SparkHire site, not Long.
 
Last edited:
Was wondering if anyone can answer this. They keep SPAMMING reminder emails to do the SWWI and received my “final reminder” email this morning. Anyone else been getting bombarded as well?
The Sparkhire website does this. However, you don't have to complete it now. I faced the same issue with UTMB's platform.

Edit: Once you put in information into the Sparkhire platform, it just starts spamming reminders, but these are from the platform itself.
 
Last edited:
My primary application was transmitted a week ago but I still haven't received any confirmation email saying that they've received my application. Should I contact them about it or wait some more? All the other TMDSAS schools emailed saying they've received it.
 
My primary application was transmitted a week ago but I still haven't received any confirmation email saying that they've received my application. Should I contact them about it or wait some more? All the other TMDSAS schools emailed saying they've received it.
Wait some more 🙂
There's no secondary essay for Long and nothing else to do unless you get invited to interview
 
Remember, y'all, the medical schools are celebrating white coat ceremonies and orientation and the like with their incoming classes of MS1s.

There is usually a little lull in the action but things will pick up again.
Long School of Medicine interviews quite a lot of people but they have generally waited to make most of their admission offers on Match Day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I’m a brand new MS1. If you have questions about the application process, Long, etc. feel free to DM or reply to this message. I was in your shoes nearly a year ago, so hopefully my experience with the cycle will be helpful to you. I might also be able to provide that fresh experience of what brought me to Long! As a newbie, I might not know a lot about clinical years, but I hope I can help in some capacity. 🙂
 
Hi guys! I’m a brand new MS1. If you have questions about the application process, Long, etc. feel free to DM or reply to this message. I was in your shoes nearly a year ago, so hopefully my experience with the cycle will be helpful to you. I might also be able to provide that fresh experience of what brought me to Long! As a newbie, I might not know a lot about clinical years, but I hope I can help in some capacity. 🙂
Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck on your first year!! Thank you for helping us ❤️
 
Hi guys! I’m a brand new MS1. If you have questions about the application process, Long, etc. feel free to DM or reply to this message. I was in your shoes nearly a year ago, so hopefully my experience with the cycle will be helpful to you. I might also be able to provide that fresh experience of what brought me to Long! As a newbie, I might not know a lot about clinical years, but I hope I can help in some capacity. 🙂
You are our secret agent who is tasked with finding out why no one got a II outside of MD/PhD. Dont get caught since you will be disavowed.