2024-2025 Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2024-2025 Northstate Secondary Essay Prompts

*Note: All required questions appear to allow 1785 characters instead of the 250 word max indicated

1. Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM?

2. Did you have a Pre-Health Advisor at your undergraduate institution? If so, please tell us about your experience. How did it help you in your journey to to apply to medical school? If not, please let us know how you worked independently to find out more about applying to medical school and the path of your journey to apply?

3. In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade?

4. If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years.

5. If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now?

6. Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application?

7. How do you feel about standardized tests? How did you prepare for the MCAT? What tools or preparatory courses/material did you use and how did you study? Do you feel like your score reflects how you will perform in medical school? From what you have learned, do you think it will help you in the way you will study or prepare for USMLE exams? (1000 chars only, optional)

Good luck to all applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
has anyone received a secondary?
My primary app was verified a few days ago but haven't heard anything from CNUCOM
thanks!

Just recieved the secondary moments ago. IS.

Not sure if im going to apply given this schools history. Do we know how much submitting the secondary costs?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 IS (or +3 since they sent me 3 emails with the exact same thing)

@chilly_md

Ok for these they say 250 words but the box is 1785 characters instead, lol

(Required) Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM? (250 words maximum)*

(Required) Did you have a Pre-Health Advisor at your undergraduate institution? If so, please tell us about your experience. How did it help you in your journey to to apply to medical school? If not, please let us know how you worked independently to find out more about applying to medical school and the path of your journey to apply?

(Required) In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)

(Required) If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)

(Required) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)

(Required) Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)

How do you feel about standardized tests? How did you prepare for the MCAT? What tools or preparatory courses/material did you use and how did you study? Do you feel like your score reflects how you will perform in medical school? From what you have learned, do you think it will help you in the way you will study or prepare for USMLE exams? (1000 chars only)

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students willing to chime in about this school? +1 IS secondary

Reactions: 1 user
Wait they require three quarters of college math and AP doesnt count. I already graduated and only have one quarter college math, so can I apply and say that I would take the course in the summer before starting med school, or is it not even worth it to apply?

Hi all, I’m going to be an M2. Send me a message if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to help!

• Care
Wait they require three quarters of college math and AP doesnt count. I already graduated and only have one quarter college math, so can I apply and say that I would take the course in the summer before starting med school, or is it not even worth it to apply?
I would contact their office, because the summer before joining you'd be able to do 1 semester or 1 quarter of college math.

Still deciding whether or not to apply to this school. Do you guys think there's hope considering a final LCME decision should be made by next spring?

(Required) Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)

How do you feel about standardized tests? How did you prepare for the MCAT? What tools or preparatory courses/material did you use and how did you study? Do you feel like your score reflects how you will perform in medical school? From what you have learned, do you think it will help you in the way you will study or prepare for USMLE exams? (1000 chars only)
Are they making the anything else prompt required as well and is the last question about test prep optional?

Just recieved the secondary moments ago. IS.

Not sure if im going to apply given this schools history. Do we know how much submitting the secondary costs?
debating the same thing with the whole probation stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
debating the same thing with the whole probation stuff
Personally I decided I am not going to apply. Many adcom on here are very against this school, and while I'd love to stay in CA, I am not willing to pay exorbitant prices and risk having the institution lose LCME in the process of me getting my degree. Plus it sounds like they have a poor relationship with the community which is antithetical to what I want in a school lol. There are plenty of other MD programs out there which are more suitable for me :)

Sorry for being a #hater though make your own informed decision!

I am also deciding not to apply after reading student reviews.

would you be able to share the reviews?
Just like the first 5 I found on reddit. I found this school from MSAR (mostly just looking at MCAT and GPA), but didn't realize the school is struggling with accredidation and stuff

The school is local to me so I'm going to go through with applying. I will probably not go here if I get into another established med school though.

I also decided not to apply here, both because of the math pre-req and their accreditation issues.

Are they making the anything else prompt required as well and is the last question about test prep optional?
I'm just pasting what's on there; the anything else is required for sure since it says required (lol)

The last one doesn't so I assume it's not.

lol doesn't accept AP credit for calc..crazy
Ikr.. I emailed them asking about this and they strictly require me to take another calc course. I really want to stay in CA but this, and also learning about the crazy interest rates they offer with private loans (>10% even with a cosigner with a good credit history), I ultimately decided to not apply here.

For those that satisfy the pre-reqs, I recommend applying to CNU as there is probably a higher chance of acceptance compared to other MD schools. As it is, most med school applicants don’t get any acceptances, and for those that get accepted, most get 1 acceptance. My kid was a reapplicant with no acceptances 1st cycle (LizzieM 73 WARS 78), and this is the only acceptance they received 2nd cycle. We are grateful, and they’re thriving at CNU. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Last edited:
  • Care
Ikr.. I emailed them asking about this and they strictly require me to take another calc course. I really want to stay in CA but this, and also learning about the crazy interest rates they offer with private loans (>10% even with a cosigner with a good credit history), I ultimately decided to not apply here.

wait so if I took calculus II and a stats course in college that doesn’t count? I didn’t take calculus III since I had credit for calculus I from AP CALC AB!?

do they look at these prerequisites before interviews? or do u just need it my July of matriculation year?

wait so if I took calculus II and a stats course in college that doesn’t count? I didn’t take calculus III since I had credit for calculus I from AP CALC AB!?

do they look at these prerequisites before interviews? or do u just need it my July of matriculation year?
stats and a math course counts as fulfillment if you took both in college

• 2 semesters, or 3 quarters of college level Math (Statistics and/or Calculus preferred)

stats and a math course counts as fulfillment if you took both in college

• 2 semesters, or 3 quarters of college level Math (Statistics and/or Calculus preferred)
but when I filled out the secondary it said the prereq was filled with the green check mark... so I'm not sure? would it have let me submit if I did not meet this requirement?

Did anyone else get this secondary question? (Required) In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)

I can't seem to find anything about it other than posts from previous years.

Per my dad, his colleague's son got a II today. I have no idea what the complete date or LM is though

Silly question, if the secondary due date is 9/17/24, I'll have until 9/17/24 until midnight eastern time to submit?
Or is it until 11:59pm on 9/16/24.
The instructions on the due date are a bit unclear to me. maybe i'm overthinking it.