I agree alot with this. I think UHCOM might care the most about mission fit in the entire US.
UHCOM also screens their secondaries heavily so I am leaning towards it's the last piece of advice. It's so hard to get into medschool these days and interviews are so important. UH asked so many resilience based questions during my interviews. I honestly thought I did decent for my UHCOM interviews and I am well above their stats but didn't get a prematch (matched to a school I ranked above it). I don't think there's much you can change in a gap year to "get in" to UHCOM specifically. I assume they want all your ECs to align with their mission.
I strongly suggest applying broadly next cycle. I think @zztexas ECs, GPA, and shadowing is impressive and improving MCAT will make you competitive at all Texas
Just my 2 cents.
During a pre-med organization's workshop at UH, a faculty told us that, (not a direct quote but something along the lines), "you should not be focusing on something out in the world while there's obviously problem to take care of right in your backyard", and then he went on to say how students waste money to go on mission trips overseas but barely have any meaning/highlights to talk about in their essay or interview, whereas Houston (or TX in general) has underserved populations that need help from student volunteer, and the faculty are on consensus about weighing "local" experience over "mission trip".
So, I'm not saying that your "overseas medical mission" is a red flag, or not good enough. My question is, do you have any volunteering/community service in your immediate local area? UHCOM is very focused on serving the underserved populations in Houston and TX, people who don't speak English, low-income, immigrants, from diverse cultural backgrounds... hence the focus on educating med students who are ambitious about primary care. If you can't prove primary care + community service in your app, it might be "the" reason.
Yes, I see your 160hrs of family clinic, but is it shadowing (passively observation), or some patient interactions, and what have you learned from these interactions.
Another 2 cents. One thing I notice from my 3 interviews is that there is always some sort of question that gauges your resilience and whether you understand/aware of the rigors of med school, so that the Adcom can predict whether you'll survive med school. If they don't see this, they'll think you need more year(s) of "growth" (challenges).
@heyyall @Vaquero
Thank you so very much for taking the time to guide me. I appreciate your excellent suggestions. They are very enlightening.
I have been notified that I am on WL.
In my overseas medical mission I did have ample interactions with the underserved patients.
Since I submitted secondary last year, my EC have significantly increased.
I have already completed about 500 hrs and am still working in a primary care clinic as a clinical assistant with full interactions with patients from diverse and underserved backgrounds and I will continue with this family clinic.
Also I have completed 40 hrs of GI shadowing and now I am shadowing a cardiologist and wish to have at least 80 hrs in it.
Also I have arrangement for shadowing in Pulmonary medicine, Neurology and Nephrology and will complete hopefully by October.
I am still in cardiac research (LVAD, Sarcoidosis) with some very prominent researchers in Texas Medical Center in Houston.
I am a coauthor of a publication on cardiac sarcoidosis which is about to be published in a prestigious cardiology journal. Now I am working on a research paper on LVAD.
I have been in cardiac research longer than a year
I am also in Genetics research at school.
I am a registered volunteer with American Cancer Society where I give rides to cancer patients to clinics.
Also I am a registered volunteer at a hospice and am actively involved.
I mentor through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Texas and also I tutor at U of H.
I am very involved in underserved communities where numerous languages are spoken. I am multilingual.
This semester hopefully I will have 4.0 and my GPA will hopefully be higher than 3.96. After graduating I am planning on taking MCAT again. That will be my second attempt.
This is the present scenario.
I want to be in primary care and U of H is my first choice.
I will be much obliged if you please let me know your thoughts about my situation now.
Thanks again.