This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

joe7456

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am a white male student. I would love to hear from you guys on suggestions on what to do during my gap year? I will apply to medical school Summer 17'.

Current GPA is 3.58, but I graduate this fall from UGA.
MCAT: not taken yet, but I would be grateful for advice on how to tackle this test.
Paid Work: 2000+ hours as an EKG technician in hospital( employed part time, early 2015-present)
Research: 2 semesters of undergraduate research.
Major: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
University attended: Public
Volunteering: 300+hours for homeless food drives, gifts, and church etc.
Medical related volunteering: 40 hours ( I need to work on it I think)
Other jobs: Lifeguard 1000+ hours. Pharmacy Technician: 1500 hours.
Shadowing: 100 hours under various Cardiologist.

Please help me fill in my weakness by pointing them out. I will not be applying to medical school for nearly 8 months from now, so I will do my best to learn from you guys on what is best to do with the time I have.
 
What state of residence?

Focus on the MCAT and score as high as you can. Maybe start a new activity and see it through for the next 8 months that involves helping people less fortunate than yourself. Besides that you should have a chance at MD with a 509+ and DO 502+
 
What state of residence?

Focus on the MCAT and score as high as you can. Maybe start a new activity and see it through for the next 8 months that involves helping people less fortunate than yourself. Besides that you should have a chance at MD with a 509+ and DO 502+
State of Georgia. That is great advice. thank you so much. any suggestions on what type of activity? I think I could start trying to volunteer at homeless local areas more i guess
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a huge fan of Big brothers/big sisters. Hospice volunteering is also a great one. Try to do one that you would enjoy and that is also helping others. Homeless shelter of course works as well.