This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joe7456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a white male student. I would love to hear from you guys on suggestions on what to do during my gap year? I will apply to medical school Summer 17'.

Current GPA is 3.58, but I graduate this fall from UGA.
MCAT: not taken yet, but I would be grateful for advice on how to tackle this test.
Paid Work: 2000+ hours as an EKG technician in hospital( employed part time, early 2015-present)
Research: 2 semesters of undergraduate research.
Major: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
University attended: Public
Volunteering: 300+hours for homeless food drives, gifts, and church etc.
Medical related volunteering: 40 hours ( I need to work on it I think)
Other jobs: Lifeguard 1000+ hours. Pharmacy Technician: 1500 hours.
Shadowing: 100 hours under various Cardiologist.

Please help me fill in my weakness by pointing them out. I will not be applying to medical school for nearly 8 months from now, so I will do my best to learn from you guys on what is best to do with the time I have.

Members don't see this ad.

What state of residence?

Focus on the MCAT and score as high as you can. Maybe start a new activity and see it through for the next 8 months that involves helping people less fortunate than yourself. Besides that you should have a chance at MD with a 509+ and DO 502+

What state of residence?

Focus on the MCAT and score as high as you can. Maybe start a new activity and see it through for the next 8 months that involves helping people less fortunate than yourself. Besides that you should have a chance at MD with a 509+ and DO 502+
State of Georgia. That is great advice. thank you so much. any suggestions on what type of activity? I think I could start trying to volunteer at homeless local areas more i guess

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a huge fan of Big brothers/big sisters. Hospice volunteering is also a great one. Try to do one that you would enjoy and that is also helping others. Homeless shelter of course works as well.

okay I will look into that. If I may ask, what were your stats for MD? ( I see you have 4 II already)