3.6cGPA, 3.2sGPA, 501 MCAT TX resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Senior (graduating in a week!), first generation high school/college student, low socioeconomic status (far below poverty level), non-URM, not from a top 100 undergrad, TX resident

Stats:
3.6 (maybe 3.7) cGPA, 3.2 or 3.3 sGPA, 501 MCAT 06/2015 (123 Chem, 127 CARS, 122 Bio, 129 Psych) - planning on retaking MCAT this summer

Leadership:
Vice president of a large organization and raised > $5000 for a non-profit charity, Academic chair, was part of a program that worked with other students around the country and gave a seminar on leadership to over 2000 people at a national convention, secretary of a council on campus

Volunteering:
Ronald McDonald house volunteer helping parents of patients in NICU/PICU (~20 hours so far, still ongoing), non-certified medical assistant for a homeless shelter taking vital signs, medical records, etc (will start in June for 20 hours a month), extensive non-healthcare volunteering over the last few years (>1000 hours)

Work:
Medical scribe in an ER (~2000 hours), computer lab assistant, pharmacy technician, tutor for elementary school kids

Research:
Will start late May, research in the GI field ~5 hours a week

I plan on getting LOR's from an MD and a DO from the ER.

I switched to pre-med one year ago, which is why all of my healthcare activities and research are so recent. My GPA was decent freshman and sophomore year and then tanked junior year when I lost all motivation for school (got a 2.4 GPA that semester...) because I didn't know what I was doing with my life. I took my MCAT without studying (I know, stupid mistake) and it was before I had really started trying in my science classes so I didn't understand anything. After I switched to pre-med, my GPA has been a 3.9+ the last two semesters and I've only been taking advanced science classes. I plan on taking this gap year to do more research and volunteering. I also plan on submitting apps by end of May.

TLDR: Decent volunteer experience, average healthcare experience, average cGPA, below average sGPA due to lack of motivation (before recently switching to pre-med), and bad MCAT due to lack of studying

Question: What are my chances are at TMDSAS schools, OOS MD schools, and DO schools?

I'm applying to all TX schools and my list for OOS MD schools so far is:
Albany
Chicago Rosalind
Creighton
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Oakland
Penn state
Rush
USF
Iowa
St. Louis
Tufts (semi-strong family ties)
Tulane
Oklahoma (semi-strong family ties)
Pittsburgh
Rochester
UWashington
Wake Forest
Wayne State

Are any of these schools too far of a reach for me? Which schools should I add? and which DO schools should I apply to? Being new to the application process, I just recently learned that the DO schools have a totally different system and I don't know anything about any of the schools. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Senior (graduating in a week!), first generation high school/college student, low socioeconomic status (far below poverty level), non-URM, not from a top 100 undergrad, TX resident

Stats:
3.6 (maybe 3.7) cGPA, 3.2 or 3.3 sGPA, 501 MCAT 06/2015 (123 Chem, 127 CARS, 122 Bio, 129 Psych) - planning on retaking MCAT this summer

Leadership:
Vice president of a large organization and raised > $5000 for a non-profit charity, Academic chair, was part of a program that worked with other students around the country and gave a seminar on leadership to over 2000 people at a national convention, secretary of a council on campus

Volunteering:
Ronald McDonald house volunteer helping parents of patients in NICU/PICU (~20 hours so far, still ongoing), non-certified medical assistant for a homeless shelter taking vital signs, medical records, etc (will start in June for 20 hours a month), extensive non-healthcare volunteering over the last few years (>1000 hours)

Work:
Medical scribe in an ER (~2000 hours), computer lab assistant, pharmacy technician, tutor for elementary school kids

Research:
Will start late May, research in the GI field ~5 hours a week

I plan on getting LOR's from an MD and a DO from the ER.

I switched to pre-med one year ago, which is why all of my healthcare activities and research are so recent. My GPA was decent freshman and sophomore year and then tanked junior year when I lost all motivation for school (got a 2.4 GPA that semester...) because I didn't know what I was doing with my life. I took my MCAT without studying (I know, stupid mistake) and it was before I had really started trying in my science classes so I didn't understand anything. After I switched to pre-med, my GPA has been a 3.9+ the last two semesters and I've only been taking advanced science classes. I plan on taking this gap year to do more research and volunteering. I also plan on submitting apps by end of May.

TLDR: Decent volunteer experience, average healthcare experience, average cGPA, below average sGPA due to lack of motivation (before recently switching to pre-med), and bad MCAT due to lack of studying

Question: What are my chances are at TMDSAS schools, OOS MD schools, and DO schools?

Albany
Chicago Rosalind
Creighton
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Oakland
Penn state
Rush
USF
Iowa
St. Louis
Tulane
Pittsburgh
Rochester
UWashington
Wake Forest
Wayne State

Are any of these schools too far of a reach for me? Which schools should I add? and which DO schools should I apply to? Being new to the application process, I just recently learned that the DO schools have a totally different system and I don't know anything about any of the schools. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
All of them are out of your league until you retake your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Your bio and chem score is no bueno..... Must retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are fine for the majority of DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive some interviews. Your chances are low for MD schools unless you can increase your MCAT to at least 508.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you would have a fair shot at D.O. , like the saying goes though: "Do you want to become a doctor?"

What do you think @Goro ?

Even in TX, I think that your stats are lethal for MD schools.

Your best bet will be with TCOM, and the newest DO schools. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Albany
Chicago Rosalind
Creighton
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Oakland
Penn state
Rush
USF
Iowa
St. Louis
Tulane
Pittsburgh
Rochester
UWashington
Wake Forest
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for your honesty! The only reason I'm applying to the AMCAS MD schools is because I have the fee waiver so I thought I might as well apply. I'll also look over the DO schools but I'm definitely retaking the MCAT and focusing heavily on the bio/chem sections.

Also I forgot to ask - if I can raise my MCAT score, are my stats/EC activities "good" enough to be accepted into any TX schools? I'm not picky about where I go whether it's MD or DO, but if I am able to, I'd prefer to stay in state for cheaper tuition so I'm just wondering. I know Goro mentioned TCOM already but do I have a chance anywhere else too?

Also I forgot to ask - if I can raise my MCAT score, are my stats/EC activities "good" enough to be accepted into any TX schools? I'm not picky about where I go whether it's MD or DO, but if I am able to, I'd prefer to stay in state for cheaper tuition so I'm just wondering. I know Goro mentioned TCOM already but do I have a chance anywhere else too?
Looks pretty solid to me. Not sure on the schools though. GL.