This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushi18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a non-trad who'd really appreciate SDNers' feedback on what schools I have a chance at/where to improve as I have a few years before I apply. Please note that some of these stats are anticipated. Thank you!
  1. cGPA/sGPA: 3.8/3.67
  2. MCAT: 515 (Higher CARS / lower CPFBS)
  3. State of residence: CA
  4. Ethnicity: ORM
  5. Undergrad: Top 20
  6. Gap years: Taking a few years off to work and take requirements
  7. Clinical experience: Work full-time in clinical public health research setting with lots of direct patient interaction and health equity focus
  8. Research experience and productivity: Did research for 3 years in undergrad and published 1 healthcare paper as lead author. Work in clinical research setting full-time
  9. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. Founded and was President or Director of multiple clubs related to business and health, and held multiple leadership roles in healthcare policy on campus. Interned at a top company doing consulting work related to healthcare, and volunteered at homeless shelter
  10. Relevant honors or awards: Won multiple awards for service/leadership
What schools should I apply to? Weaknesses I should address before applying? I have a slight preference for West Coast schools and strong preference for ones with strong global health ties/option for dual MPH or MPP. I'm thinking UC Davis would be a target based on my scores.

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UC's
Loma Linda
California University (new school)
Kaiser (when it opens)
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing, including primary care, before you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not applying for a few years, make sure your mcat doesn't expire by then!! I think it is only valid for 2-3 years

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @Faha for the list and mariposa for the advice :) Would raising my MCAT score to a 520+ and my BCPM gpa to a 3.7 make a big difference? e.g. should I be focusing on that the most besides getting shadowing in?