This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sg0904

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm a third year osteopathic medical student. I'm currently on my surgery rotation and I do really like it. Only problem is I get really nervous and freeze when my preceptor asks me to suture or do anything. I think I want to go into surgery, but if I can't even suture when the pressure is on, it will be impossible to even perform a surgery!

I'm also scared if I choose to go into general surgery that I'll be so nervous and anxious all the time, that I won't enjoy it.

I like surgery so far because it's cool. It's really cool to see how instantly you can help someone, but I'm just so darn scared 1. I'll be a horrible surgeon because I can't freaking suture, 2. I'll be nervous 24/7, and 3. partially I'm also scared I'll pass out (even though I've never before in an OR or out).

Are there any surgical residents or med students that felt the same way give some advice?!!? I don't know where else to go.

Members don't see this ad.

These are exactly the qualities that everyone looks for in a surgeon. Continue on said trajectory. One of two things will happen:
1. You'll get fired.
2. You'll be a surgeon.
Let's be real here. Hopefully by this point in your life you know who you are and how you handle pressure and criticism. Cheers.

I am also a medical practitioner, but doing a surgery it really takes my heart out. But all you need is a motivation and believe

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen Senior residents (who are amazing surgeons) who shake like crazy from fear still when an attending yells at them in the OR. That's just a part of it. You can still do surgery if that's how you are, but you have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Also practice helps lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Drink a beer for breakfast every morning. Or take a shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys!

I'm a third year osteopathic medical student. I'm currently on my surgery rotation and I do really like it. Only problem is I get really nervous and freeze when my preceptor asks me to suture or do anything. I think I want to go into surgery, but if I can't even suture when the pressure is on, it will be impossible to even perform a surgery!

I'm also scared if I choose to go into general surgery that I'll be so nervous and anxious all the time, that I won't enjoy it.

I like surgery so far because it's cool. It's really cool to see how instantly you can help someone, but I'm just so darn scared 1. I'll be a horrible surgeon because I can't freaking suture, 2. I'll be nervous 24/7, and 3. partially I'm also scared I'll pass out (even though I've never before in an OR or out).

Are there any surgical residents or med students that felt the same way give some advice?!!? I don't know where else to go.
You can learn to suture. Surgery is mostly muscle memory and practice, anyone with a capable set of hands can do it. The real job of a surgeon is knowing when and by what means to operate, how to handle complications in and outside of the OR, and how to manage patients pre- and post-operatively. You will become technically proficient with time, don't worry about that. You just need to ask yourself if you want the life of a surgeon.

IF i were you, i'd seriously man up! The odds are higly stacked against you. Try eating while getting yelled at!

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I loved my surgery rotation but had zero skills when I started.

I asked a gen surg residency director if inability to master the skills ever holds someone back from being a surgeon. He told me that he could teach a monkey to do surgery. Anyone can learn to tie, suture, etc. with practice. The reason people were dismissed from residency was because of things like drinking, drugs, major illness, or just an inability to handle the pressure of the residency as a whole--not just the part of it that takes place in the OR.

That said, since my surgery rotation, I have been practicing tying and suturing and I actually did a lot better in my OB rotation closing after c-sections, etc. Get a practice skin pad and some 4-0 from Amazon or some pig's feet and practice when you can. 4-0 sutures are like 1-2$ per on Amazon if you order them in 15 packs. Also, it's not just about suturing. You need to know the procedure, the indications, the steps, the potential complications, etc. Prepare yourself before you go into a surgery.

If you really want to do it, you can do it. The anxiety, nervousness, even passing out can be overcome with practice.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys!

You have call days right? Use that to practice suture!
One good tip, start with the smaller holes. For instance, if possible ask your preceptor, "Dr. X or Surgical PA X, I have been watching and practicing suturing, I would love to close this port and have you comment on ways to improve my technique". Usually do this, closing a camera port for lap choley, the smaller incisions. If you screw up badly, dermabond that and you should be fine either way.

Welcome to the club! I was well into residency before I felt somewhat comfortable with suturing. Just when I thought I was good at it, I would find another layer of things to consider and I still find myself picking up tips and tricks from different staff. There's a reason nobody lets an intern hand sew an anastamosis!

Practice practice practice! Practice tying knots on your scrubs (practice with gloves on), practice suturing on your pants (I used to do this all the time, probably to the chagrin of the hospital). I don't know what services you're on but if you want suture practice, you need to find cases with lots of incisions where there's sewing to be done early on. Plastics probably has the most of these and I feel like this was the rotation as an intern where I learned to sew. Find some breast cases with miles of incisions and usually multiple people sewing simultaneously. Easy enough to let you start somewhere and sew until the others lap you. Free flap cases, anything with vessel harvest, etc. -- ask your residents for advice on that service. Ideally you want a long incision made early on that you can close while the others are elsewhere doing something else.

It's good to be a little nervous. It's a dangerous thing we do and there's potential to really hurt people. I worry far more about people with feigned nonchalance than I do about those who are nervous.

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I loved my surgery rotation but had zero skills when I started.

I asked a gen surg residency director if inability to master the skills ever holds someone back from being a surgeon. He told me that he could teach a monkey to do surgery. Anyone can learn to tie, suture, etc. with practice. The reason people were dismissed from residency was because of things like drinking, drugs, major illness, or just an inability to handle the pressure of the residency as a whole--not just the part of it that takes place in the OR.

That said, since my surgery rotation, I have been practicing tying and suturing and I actually did a lot better in my OB rotation closing after c-sections, etc. Get a practice skin pad and some 4-0 from Amazon or some pig's feet and practice when you can. 4-0 sutures are like 1-2$ per on Amazon if you order them in 15 packs. Also, it's not just about suturing. You need to know the procedure, the indications, the steps, the potential complications, etc. Prepare yourself before you go into a surgery.

If you really want to do it, you can do it. The anxiety, nervousness, even passing out can be overcome with practice.

Why would you buy suture when you can get it for free?

The cave you fear to enter contains the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell