500 MCAT, 3.55 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panther97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
500 MCAT
  • Chem/phys - 124
  • CARS - 126
  • Bio/biochem - 125
  • Psych/Soc - 125
I'm going for MD but if there's no hope, then I would go DO. I know that I need to retake the MCAT for a better chance, especially for MD and that is my plan. However, my question is: Do you think low tier MD schools will accept me?

Let me layout my stats:
GPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.43
Major: Human Services (Social Work/Therapist) - I chose this major as I think it would help me standout as an applicant for medical school. This major is all about interacting with clients/patients on a professional level. Most classes involve some sort of role play as we learn to not only listen to what they say but learn to read body language (as their body language may be saying something else). We've learned leaderships skills, drugs and signs of abuse, etc. Overall, I feel that this major has given me useful tools and skills when interacting with patients. Something that not many science majors would have.

ECs
  • ~600 hours volunteering at children's hospital
  • Emergency department internship at county hospital
  • Internship: shadowing & research at children's hospital
  • Research: 2 years of research in population genetics lab. Currently in process of writing article and getting authorship. Good chance in high impact journal
  • Pre-med club leadership positions: president, vice president, inter-club council representative
  • Shadowing hospitalist: Not only did I shadow this doctor during clinical rounds but he also works on the administrative side. So I learned about that side as well and am currently working on multiple projects with him to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the hospital.
I still have another year of school before I graduate so I'm expecting my GPA and sGPA to be 3.6+ and ~3.5, respectively. What do you think my chances are of getting into a low tier MD school if I apply this cycle? Do you think some MD schools that have a "strong" pediatric program would consider me?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few states where you have a chance at MD (if you are a resident).
There are a lot more where you are a real long shot.
Care to elaborate? Which states do you have in mind? What factors are making me a long shot? Is it just the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Care to elaborate? Which states do you have in mind? What factors are making me a long shot? Is it just the MCAT?
If you are from W VA, Kentucky, AL, S Carolina or Puerto Rico, you have a fair chance at interviews with your stats and experience.

If you are from MD, CA, WA, CT, RI, MA, AZ, CO or states without a medical school, your odds are very small for MD.

There is no good reason to apply this year. You need to work on increasing your GPA and study for a retake of the MCAT. However, do not retake until your practice scores are at least 508.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend MD unless, as gyngyn mentioned, you live in a (very) lucky state. You're fine for any DO school except the coastal Touros, AZCOM and CCOM.

500 MCAT
  • Chem/phys - 124
  • CARS - 126
  • Bio/biochem - 125
  • Psych/Soc - 125
I'm going for MD but if there's no hope, then I would go DO. I know that I need to retake the MCAT for a better chance, especially for MD and that is my plan. However, my question is: Do you think low tier MD schools will accept me?

Let me layout my stats:
GPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.43
Major: Human Services (Social Work/Therapist) - I chose this major as I think it would help me standout as an applicant for medical school. This major is all about interacting with clients/patients on a professional level. Most classes involve some sort of role play as we learn to not only listen to what they say but learn to read body language (as their body language may be saying something else). We've learned leaderships skills, drugs and signs of abuse, etc. Overall, I feel that this major has given me useful tools and skills when interacting with patients. Something that not many science majors would have.

ECs
  • ~600 hours volunteering at children's hospital
  • Emergency department internship at county hospital
  • Internship: shadowing & research at children's hospital
  • Research: 2 years of research in population genetics lab. Currently in process of writing article and getting authorship. Good chance in high impact journal
  • Pre-med club leadership positions: president, vice president, inter-club council representative
  • Shadowing hospitalist: Not only did I shadow this doctor during clinical rounds but he also works on the administrative side. So I learned about that side as well and am currently working on multiple projects with him to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the hospital.
I still have another year of school before I graduate so I'm expecting my GPA and sGPA to be 3.6+ and ~3.5, respectively. What do you think my chances are of getting into a low tier MD school if I apply this cycle? Do you think some MD schools that have a "strong" pediatric program would consider me?

I think even just an MCAT retake , with a 510+ score, would greatly increase your chances, especially if you have an UW trend. The mean MCAT for med school acceptees is something 509, and you're 9 points below that, that's more than SD below the average.