A.T Still vs. University of St. Augustine (San Marcos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dptlee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently got off the waitlist for AT Still and am torn about where to go. I currently live in San Diego and will be moving into an apartment with my boyfriend if I stay in SD. It'll be ~$700-750 for rent. If I go to Arizona I'm assuming I'll be paying ~ $600-750 on rent (really prefer to only have 1 roommate or live on my own). The overall tuition difference between the schools ~13k (USA is higher). 13k is a big chunk of cash but I'm also wondering if it's worth paying out with USA for comfortability of what I know in San Diego, possibly connections through the program to work in a good San Diego facility after graduating, and not having to be in a long distance relationship and being able to live with my dog lol. Also USA has a shorter program (32 months) vs. three years. So I would be out in the work force much quicker and working towards making up for that 13k difference.

I finish taking my microbio prereq end of May and AT Still starts July 15 so I'm a bit worried about trying to rush to get everything situated like housing, finding insurance out of state (sidenote: I currently get medical and ATSU doesn't offer health insurance. Does anyone know how to go about getting health insurance out of state or does it matter??), getting loans, etc. I do like that USA starts in September so I have time to get things arranged like getting medical records/background checks done, loans, and having a break before PT school starts because I plan to work full time until mid August.

Also, AT Still seems really organized based off how they've communicated with me and from what I've seen/heard during my online interview. The pass rate from 2016-2017 for 120 students was 97% and USA had a 99% pass rate for ~300 students. I liked the vibes of the USA campus and AT still looks pretty similar in that it's a smaller school and newer buildings. I am planning to visit the campus in two weeks. I do like that this could be a really fun experience living somewhere new.

Sorry if this is all over the place, but these are the mains things that pop in my mind when choosing between the two schools. If any current students or people who know about the two programs can give insight, it'd be incredibly helpful! Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think both of them are very good schools. AT Still is ranked higher but I don't think that matters much. It's really just what you make out of it. I'm sure you will get a high-quality education at either school. Personally, I think USA is a better choice just because you can stay close to where you are living right now and it won't be a drastic transition for grad school and you get to live with your doggo (can't beat that lol). Plus you will be able to get a mental break before school instead of rushing everything. Anyways, the 13k sounds like a lot right now but in the long run it is not as big of a deal. It's more important to go wherever you think you will get the best experience. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
USA better choice. To be honest $13k doesnt seem like a big difference when you factor in being able to move in with your bf, being in an area you are comfortable in, and even having the benefit of graduating early. If think about it, moving out of state would take a big toll on your life, not to mention having to spend money to travel back to cali. Hope it works out for you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Although 13k seems like a lot, you also have to factor in visits back and forth to California (flights) and moving costs. Since USA starts later, you can possibly work over the summer and save more, but still graduate roughly at the same time as AT Still since the program is shorter.

I'm all about new experiences and stepping out of your comfort zone, but nothing beats a good support system! :] which im sure will be needed throughout PT school! Just visit AZ and see how you feel!

Good luck in deciding :]

I think both of them are very good schools. AT Still is ranked higher but I don't think that matters much. It's really just what you make out of it. I'm sure you will get a high-quality education at either school. Personally, I think USA is a better choice just because you can stay close to where you are living right now and it won't be a drastic transition for grad school and you get to live with your doggo (can't beat that lol). Plus you will be able to get a mental break before school instead of rushing everything. Anyways, the 13k sounds like a lot right now but in the long run it is not as big of a deal. It's more important to go wherever you think you will get the best experience. Best of luck!

Thank you for this! It's nice to hear from other people that either way I will get a quality learning experience from either. I also love how you see the importance of being with my doggo :D

USA better choice. To be honest $13k doesnt seem like a big difference when you factor in being able to move in with your bf, being in an area you are comfortable in, and even having the benefit of graduating early. If think about it, moving out of state would take a big toll on your life, not to mention having to spend money to travel back to cali. Hope it works out for you :)

Yeah it does seem like it would take a lot out of me mentally and financially to move out of state. :/ Thanks so much for your reply! I appreciate it!

I agree. Although 13k seems like a lot, you also have to factor in visits back and forth to California (flights) and moving costs. Since USA starts later, you can possibly work over the summer and save more, but still graduate roughly at the same time as AT Still since the program is shorter.

I'm all about new experiences and stepping out of your comfort zone, but nothing beats a good support system! :] which im sure will be needed throughout PT school! Just visit AZ and see how you feel!

Good luck in deciding :]
YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I think I'm so caught up in the financial aspect of it and people telling me "go with the cheaper choice" that I'm forgetting how hard it can be to get by in PT school without a good support system. I'll visiting AT still soon so hopefully I'll know my final decision by then.