AACPMAS 2018- 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks,

Also I have two research courses, where do I put that? I know they will be in the transcript, but should I list them under achievements?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks,

Also I have two research courses, where do I put that? I know they will be in the transcript, but should I list them under achievements?

If you did research in a lab setting, for credit or not, you can list them under experiences. If you did a poster presentation at your school or at a conference, you can list them under achievements. That is pretty much what I did.

Hey guys, is anyone set on a school yet? I have interviewed at Barry and I am so impressed with the facility and the staff.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, is anyone set on a school yet? I have interviewed at Barry and I am so impressed with the facility and the staff.
Can you elaborate more on your Barry visit? Thinking of applying there.. Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Can you elaborate more on your Barry visit? Thinking of applying there.. Thank you!!
Barry just really impressed me, I had an amazing interview day, loved the facilities and all the staff that I met. Their 3 hospitals are pretty amazing too.

Barry just really impressed me, I had an amazing interview day, loved the facilities and all the staff that I met. Their 3 hospitals are pretty amazing too.
When did you interview? I interviewed on Monday!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got conditionally accepted at Kent. I'll be offered full acceptance when they "receive official and acceptable MCAT score". Does this mean I need to re-take my MCAT and get certain score to receive full acceptance? Because if so, that's some pressure on me since I'm retaking the MCAT on the last day for 2018-2019 cycle. Better do well I guess

Just got conditionally accepted at Kent. I'll be offered full acceptance when they "receive official and acceptable MCAT score". Does this mean I need to re-take my MCAT and get certain score to receive full acceptance? Because if so, that's some pressure on me since I'm retaking the MCAT on the last day for 2018-2019 cycle. Better do well I guess

Was your MCAT score verified on the AACPMAS dashboard?

Yeah I would check with AACPMAS to make sure the MCAT was verified, because if it is, than they should have told you to retake the MCAT. The "receive official and acceptable MCAT score" line sounds like a problem on the AACPMAS side. What were your stats?

I checked the AACPMAS and it sure does look like it's been verified. 3.4 GPA and my MCAT unfortunately is <490 so that maybe a reason why FML. They even asked about my MCAT score on the interview and asked me if I was planning to re-take it, to which I kinda said yes.

I checked the AACPMAS and it sure does look like it's been verified. 3.4 GPA and my MCAT unfortunately is <490 so that maybe a reason why FML. They even asked about my MCAT score on the interview and asked me if I was planning to re-take it, to which I kinda said yes.

The MCAT is a beatable test. Did you take all the prereqs yet?

Even if you said you will retake it, they should tell you if they want you to retake it. I would call the admissions department and ask them about it or whoever you interviewed with. I had a 489 MCAT and 3.4 cGPA/3.1 sGPA and they did not say I needed to retake the MCAT.

Yep I graduated this past Summer so all pre-reqs are gucci. I wish MCAT was easy as you make it sound @justici but I just can't get over the hump with these standardized exams...

@pre-PodStudent159 I only got an email stating what I quoted and still am awaiting the hardcopy mail hoping there's more information in there. Called the Enrollment Director twice but no luck. I'll try calling general admissions tomorrow.

I really feel like Kent is where I belong and would like to hear back on full acceptance ASAP cuz the stress and the unknown of where/what I will be doing next Fall is killing me rn haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep I graduated this past Summer so all pre-reqs are gucci. I wish MCAT was easy as you make it sound @justici but I just can't get over the hump with these standardized exams...

@pre-PodStudent159 I only got an email stating what I quoted and still am awaiting the hardcopy mail hoping there's more information in there. Called the Enrollment Director twice but no luck. I'll try calling general admissions tomorrow.

I really feel like Kent is where I belong and would like to hear back on full acceptance ASAP cuz the stress and the unknown of where/what I will be doing next Fall is killing me rn haha

I understand your frustration and anxiety. The MCAT is a hard test, no question. I’m going to PM you with some of my thoughts on specific studying materials and you can see if you want to try any of them out.

I understand your frustration and anxiety. The MCAT is a hard test, no question. I’m going to PM you with some of my thoughts on specific studying materials and you can see if you want to try any of them out.
Hey can you also PM me the stuff too? I would like to retake the MCAT for scholarship purposes.

Hey can you also PM me the stuff too? I would like to retake the MCAT for scholarship purposes.
Currently studying to re-take the MCAT as well.. shoot me any questions via PM for advice on each section, I have solid resources. We got this guys.

Can recommend ExamKrackers, Kaplan's MCAT study books (and course), MCAT Review website. And take as MANY practice exams as you possibly can (I took eight full lengths ahead). Good luckkk

You should check out "the mcat podcast" it helped me a ton in preparing for the MCAT! It's on Spotify and Apple podcasts. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Hi guys!

I’ve been a member for a while but I was not frequently posing as I was trying to figure out what direction in medicine I wanted to go.

I applied to a few DO programs with intent to focus on Orthopedics and Podiatry programs.

I have two interviews at my top choices with Des Moines University and Samuel Merritt University.

I’m really scared and excited. A plethora of emotions and a lot of happiness.

Cheers :)
Looking forward to making new SdN friends.

Reactions: 4 users
Guys I’m so scared. I’ve a 488 MCAT with a 3.85 GPA, will I get into any programs? I’m seeing everyone’s stats & their MCATs are in the 490+ range

My first choice would be NYCPM but I’m ok getting into any other school.

Guys I’m so scared. I’ve a 488 MCAT with a 3.85 GPA, will I get into any programs? I’m seeing everyone’s stats & their MCATs are in the 490+ range

From what I understand, NYCPM might not take you with that low of an MCAT score.
But with such a high GPA you will definitely be able to get in somewhere, especially Barry or Kent State. With that being said, you would be more likely to get scholarships if you were to retake and get 495+

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

With that GPA, I see you getting into most schools u apply to. I would contact New York and ask if you would get looked at.

Apply anywhere you want. I am sure you will get interviews almost anywhere.

Don't panic. You will be ok. You have high GPA to make up for low MCAT.

Apply anywhere you want. I am sure you will get interviews almost anywhere.

Don't panic. You will be ok. You have high GPA to make up for low MCAT.

Thank you so much. It was very refreshing to hear that. I’ve been soooo stressed about this.

I'm so happy right now!!!! Thought I'd share it with you guys. So I applied last night, got verified after 4 hrs. I had sent my MCAT score 2 weeks back but it wasn't verified. I gave AACPMAS a call and took them less than a minute to do it. Then, I got an invite in the afternoon today (3-4 hrs after MCAT was verified) from Barry!!! BE SURE TO CHECK IF YOUR MCAT SCORE IS VERIFIED BEFORE FREAKING OUT ABOUT NOT HEARING BACK FROM SCHOOLS! Thanks to everyone who has helped me during this process. Any suggestions on how to prepare for interview, except SDN interview section? Anyone scheduled for a interview later this month? Also, if anyone recently interviewed there, where's the best place to stay? I will be driving so shuttle's not really needed. Appreciated!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so happy right now!!!! Thought I'd share it with you guys. So I applied last night, got verified after 4 hrs. I had sent my MCAT score 2 weeks back but it wasn't verified. I gave AACPMAS a call and took them less than a minute to do it. Then, I got an invite in the afternoon today (3-4 hrs after MCAT was verified) from Barry!!! BE SURE TO CHECK IF YOUR MCAT SCORE IS VERIFIED BEFORE FREAKING OUT ABOUT NOT HEARING BACK FROM SCHOOLS! Thanks to everyone who has helped me during this process. Any suggestions on how to prepare for interview, except SDN interview section? Anyone scheduled for a interview later this month? Also, if anyone recently interviewed there, where's the best place to stay? I will be driving so shuttle's not really needed. Appreciated!
For interviews. Be sure to check out SDN feedback resources. It helped me a bit to know what to expect at a particular school.

Definetely prepare some answers to common questions like:
1. Why podiatry
2. Why this school
3. What makes you unique
4. Tell us an example of a conflict you were involved in and how you solved it
5. Tell us about a time you did something you are proud of
6. Tell us about any accomplishment
7. Tell us something you regret
8. What is your major weakness or strength
9. Who is your role model
10. How do you cope with stress
11. Tell me about this grade
12. How do you accept criticism
13. Tell me something from current healthcare news/issues
14. Tell me about this experience from your application. Why did you like it and what you didnt like.
15. What diversity will you bring to our school. (At one school I was asked that and I wasn't well prepared for that question. They asked a follow up question why I think this will contribute to diversity. I tried to come up with something. Didn't turn out very well. That was the only question that made me uncomfortable. I was accepted, but didnt go there.)

Yes, I was asked some of these questions above.

These are only example of questions you might get asked. You wont be asked all if them. But having at least an idea where you might go with your answer is good so you dont panic and dont start making nonsense.

Be sure to check out other threads on interview experiences like Worst Interview Answers!!!

These are often funny but help you be aware of what might come out of anyone's mind and mouth during stressful moments.

Make sure you have specific examples/scenarios in mind for some of the questions. These are commonly asked on all kinds of interviews. These are hard to come up quickly after being asked. So be prepared.

Make sure you stay yourself, somewhat relaxed and make it a conversation.
Definitely ask some questions. 1-2 that specifically interest you. You could come up with them before or at the day of the interview.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow that’s very fast. I hope I get verified on Monday, if they open on Veterans Day . I was given the complete status today after 1 week from submitting. But I did opt for the professional transcript entry. I also applied to Barry, good luck on your interview!!

I interviewed at Barry last week and I stayed in downtown Miami. It was a little more expensive, but I just wanted to enjoy my time there for the interview, before the interview. But you can definitely find cheaper hotels/motels in the area around the school. I payed $98 a day to live in the Hyatt regency in downtown Miami, which is actually not that bad. But the others who interviewed with me stayed in the area around the school for less than $50 a day, so if you need, you can definitely go cheaper! I know you have a car, but if you didn't, Uber is pretty cheap and convenient in that area. I got from downtown Miami to the school near Miami shores for $8 with an Uber pool.
As for the interview, same as everyone else says, prepare for the questions you know they are going to ask such as why podiatry, why low MCAT (if you did have a low MCAT), why a C in a certain subject, your greatest weakness, etc. Miami did ask a lot of region/school specific questions too. Make sure you look through their site to learn about their program. Know a couple things that makes Barry unique from the rest of the programs. I think one of the things Dave Fletcher (the guy that coordinates interviews/brings you around everywhere) really talked a lot about is that Barry is known for sports medicine because of Dr James Losito, podiatrist of the Miami Heat, is part of the faculty at Barry. Dr Losito is like THE GUY for sports medicine, and he practices podiatry with the Miami Heat!! It is really cool and Dr Losito also does a sports medicine fellowship where he accepts only ONE fellow every year, and the applicant has to be a Barry graduate! I talked about this because I knew about this before and I think this is why they loved me lol. Apparently his sports medicine fellowship is like the most coveted fellowship in podiatry. I am not sure how accurate that is though...
One big thing, BE READY TO INTERVIEW AS SOON AS YOU GET THERE! This may be one of the only schools that does the interview prior to the rest of the day. I really liked this because I had more questions to ask/share more info about the school instead of just repeating myself with questions already answered throughout the day.

Make sure you know why you want to be a podiatrist inside and out!! Practice your answer cause it can get tough when your put on the spotlight!
Know why Barry!! Why not any other school over Barry? Other than that, enjoy the Miami weather while I am freezing here in the Northeast...

Reactions: 3 users
I am having a hard time finding a cheap hotel for NYCPM. Does NYCPM offer any discounts or accommodations like Temple, can anyone suggest a hotel please?

I am having a hard time finding a cheap hotel for NYCPM. Does NYCPM offer any discounts or accommodations like Temple, can anyone suggest a hotel please?
They aren't giving a place in The Bridges now? That is their "on campus" housing. They were giving rooms in there for interviews. Anyways, look around harder on Kayak, and check the really cheap motels/hotels. I see some for less than $80 a night, you won't get comfort, but it is still a bed and a night to stay at.

Hello, i am new here so forgive me if this questions has already been addressed. i was pre-med but have switched to pre-pod. currently i have a 493 MCAT score and 3.4 cGPA and 3,3 sGPA. I am set to retake the MCAT in January 2018. i have not yet submitted my application. is it too late? should i wait until my january mcat? my top school is Scholl as it is in my hometown. all the help would be greatly appreciated

You're fine for Scholl with your current stats; you should still retake the MCAT though, do better and hope for more scholarship $$
Can always start the app and indicate a future mcat date.

Hello, i am new here so forgive me if this questions has already been addressed. i was pre-med but have switched to pre-pod. currently i have a 493 MCAT score and 3.4 cGPA and 3,3 sGPA. I am set to retake the MCAT in January 2018. i have not yet submitted my application. is it too late? should i wait until my january mcat? my top school is Scholl as it is in my hometown. all the help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same MCAT score and i got an interview invite from them.

I had almost identical stats and I’m at Scholl now! PM if you have questions

Hello all and congratulations to those that have already been accepted in the Class of 2023! I am finished with my application. My MCAT scores have also been verified but I am waiting on three more letters of recommendation. Is it advisable to submit the application while the LORs are pending? Or should I wait for them to be submitted before I submit my application.

Hello all and congratulations to those that have already been accepted in the Class of 2023! I am finished with my application. My MCAT scores have also been verified but I am waiting on three more letters of recommendation. Is it advisable to submit the application while the LORs are pending? Or should I wait for them to be submitted before I submit my application.
Depends on the school. Some schools can interview you even without LORs, some want a complete app.

Is it advisable to submit the application while the LORs are pending? Or should I wait for them to be submitted before I submit my application.

Unless you are applying to Scholl, go ahead and send it! Send in the LORs later.

I had same question about LOR from DPM, I knew other schools would consider my application, but I wasn't sure about Scholl so I emailed them and this is what they said. "The admissions committee will consider your application all the way to potentially offering you a seat in the upcoming class without having that letter of recommendation from a DPM. You will need to have it before class starts in the fall however."

However, you need to have at least 1 LOR from faculty or else your application will be considered incomplete. And I think this is only true with Scholl. Good luck!

Anyone planning to attend Be Our Guest at the 2019 Science and Management Symposium at Lake Buena Vista, FL? I just received an email from AACPMAS about the event so I was wondering if anyone's planning to attend.

Anyone planning to attend Be Our Guest at the 2019 Science and Management Symposium at Lake Buena Vista, FL? I just received an email from AACPMAS about the event so I was wondering if anyone's planning to attend.

I felt like that email was targeting pre-health/pre-podiatry students rather than incoming first years. I am not going to that event because I do not feel like driving all the way there even though I live in FL and it is also on the same day as my birthday :D

I felt like that email was targeting pre-health/pre-podiatry students rather than incoming first years. I am not going to that event because I do not feel like driving all the way there even though I live in FL and it is also on the same day as my birthday :D
That's what I think too but surgical workshop sounds interesting! :D

Anyone experience a school not extending an interview invite? It really messes with you and makes me anxious about acceptances at other schools with interview invites...how soon after an interview will you hear about a decision?

Hey guys, I know I posted before that I was pretty set on Barry, but I ended up submitting my deposit at Kent. Anyone else going to Kent??

So I’ve a question, how long did you guys take to schedule an interview with colleges? I still haven’t scheduled any because I literally have to go to like 4 different states & I was just trying to setup travel plans. But I don’t want them to think that I’m not interested or something...

So I’ve a question, how long did you guys take to schedule an interview with colleges? I still haven’t scheduled any because I literally have to go to like 4 different states & I was just trying to setup travel plans. But I don’t want them to think that I’m not interested or something...
I scheduled mine 4 weeks out and they never asked why it took me so long. They understand that as students we have a busy schedule, especially around this time of the year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile