1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AACPMAS 2018- 2019

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by Weirdy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. merlin_the_white

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Accepted to AZpod and DMU! I was offered a $5k renewable scholarship for DMU, but my AZ experience was amazing, they made me feel at home. I'm really impressed by their faculty, dean ( Dr. Jensen ), students, board pass rates, residency placement and curriculum. Although it will be a little more expensive, my choice is AZ because I know I will be happier down there. Good luck to everyone applying and interviewing right now. Ya'll got this! Feel free to message me with any questions about the interviews.

Abcd2814, Keatbaby and justici like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    Congrats! Mind sharing your stats?

HappyPomme likes this.
  4. merlin_the_white

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Thanks! 505 mcat, 3.5 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa.

justici likes this.
  5. de Ribas

de Ribas Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Podiatry Student
    Congrats!

Keatbaby likes this.
  6. Cobra Med

Hello everybody! This is my first time posting on sdn. I interviewed at DMU on September 6 and I interviewed at AZpod on September 13. Both schools were extremely impressive. I have been accepted at both schools and have decided to attend AZpod for the class of 2023. The dean is such a great and personable guy. I really enjoyed how he called my phone to offer the acceptance. He has a great vision for the school and really wants the students to succeed and match into the top residency programs. AZpod is building a new podiatric medicine lab that is about 3 or 4 times larger than their current lab. We were able to see the new pod lab that is in the works. It was an awesome part of the tour. I felt very comfortable in Glendale and I look forward to starting classes next year!
    Stats: 3.4cgpa, 3.0sgpa, 495 mcat, double major, over 100 hours shadowing pods

7. chappystick393

Pre-Podiatry
    Hey all! Question about sending LORs - I am just about ready to send my application in but I won't have my DPM letter for another week or two and only then can I send all of my letters because they are held by my undergrad health professions office. So I can just mail all of my LORs later to the schools I'm applying to right? And if so, do I just say on my AACPMAS that I'm not sending any evaluations? (since I'll be sending them via mail)

8. chappystick393

Pre-Podiatry
    Also - would 15 hours be sufficient in shadowing a DPM or should I aim for 20?

9. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    15 is fine. Can do more - do more.

chappystick393 likes this.
  10. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    If I would be you, I would wait for the LORs. It is still early in the cycle. Week or two won't hold you back at all.

Verification takes 1-2 days.

Some schools might not even look at your app without LORs.

chappystick393 likes this.
  11. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Unless you are dead set on Scholl, which will not look at your file until you have LORs turned in, you can choose to apply without sending them upfront.

de Ribas likes this.
  12. Keatbaby

I could use some advice.

I am debating on if I should interview at any more schools. I was accepted to Temple which has been my number 1 school for a while now, plus today I found out that I received a pretty nice scholarship there.

I have interview invites to Scholls, DMU, and AZpod scheduled over the next couple weeks. Should I still attend those interviews just to make sure that I would still rather attend Temple, or save some money by canceling the interviews and just put down my deposit for Temple? Would I be crazy to only visit one school before making my decision?

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

13. justici

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Many people visit only one school before making their decision; you are not crazy. If you have strong conviction that Temple is the right fit for you and have talked it through with significant people in your life, then go for it! In terms of the other IIs, those are great schools and in my opinion, that money is a small investment in deciding on what will be the first step in your future career. I told you at our interview that I was pretty much leaning towards Barry, but after visiting and being accepted to Temple, I am having a change of heart. The same may, or may not happen for you. My advice, attend one more II, treat it as a vacation, and see what happens. Good luck!

Keatbaby, pinklemonade2121 and Weirdy like this.
  14. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    @justici Has the right idea.

I had a program pegged in my mind as a top pic.
    Ended up going on 4 interviews simply for safety and get out and see what the other programs are like.

You won't have another chance to see what other programs are like after you start.
    Also my "rank list" in terms of what I thought I'd like based on what I read was completely changed after visiting in person.

If it is within budget, go to those interviews and treat it as a mini-vacay. Take the SO with you if you can as well.

I know my wife (then gf) enjoyed tagging along for the California trips.

Keatbaby and justici like this.
  15. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    It depends a lot on your circumstances, preferences and finances.

If you have money and dont care spending couple hundreds or thousands more and really want to see what other school have to offer then definitely go check them out.

Some people have a high preference for location.there has to be huge incentive for some to go to a school that is farther. Most schools are actually very much the same.

For me location was very important and it happened that one of the best schools (in my opinion), was the closest. I knew that I wont go to any other school no matter what.

So, you have to ask yourself what is more important for you. Location, cost, quality, size, and so on.

You can get a lot if information about the schools even without visiting them. First get that information and see if you still would like to go and interview there. I researched schools before I even applied. I decided that there were several schools that I would not attend for any reason.

If you like temple and it offers whT you need, why waste time and money to visit other schools.

Keatbaby likes this.
  16. Keatbaby

@justici @Weirdy @de_Ribas Thanks for all of your advice and opinions! After reading all of your thoughts, I think I will try to visit one or two more schools for fun and see what each of their programs have to offer.

Weirdy, de Ribas and justici like this.
  17. Godluck&Goodspeed

What’s a typical response time on DMU after your application goes under review??

I’ve heard from others, but DMU trying to hurt my feelings...

18. justici

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    My app was verified on 8/14. DMU sent me an email saying they got my app on 8/24 and sent out an II 7 hours later in the day. I believe that they may still be conducting interviews for other professional schools, so that may be why it is taking a while for them to respond. I would be patient; silence does not necessarily mean anything bad. If you really want to, you can call them. Admissions has been really nice in answering my questions!

#267 justici, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  19. fmcat

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi all, I'm completing my application and I have a question for Transcript Entry. I had Undergraduate Research (this would be course title) but I'm not sure what the "Subject" would be. Any ideas?

20. tapiocas

Pre-Podiatry
    Congrats! You say you interviewed at DMU on September 6. When did you hear back about your acceptance?

21. neurophase

maybe what the research was about (ex: research of cells = biology)

22. Cobra Med

I heard back on September 14

tapiocas likes this.
  23. justici

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Is there a course code in front of the course title (i.e. BIO, CHM, PHY, etc.)? If so, I would use that. AACPMAS will audit all your transcript entries and make corrections wherever needed, so just fill out that section of the app to the best of your knowledge.

24. soccerpodgirl7

Hi there,
    My application status is complete but is not Verified yet. Are schools still able to see my application?
    Thanks

25. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    I think they might see that you have applied.

26. Alpha ketoglutarate

I have a question, mostly to current students, but is there a point during an interview process I can ask a school what it is that they offer me? I don't want to seem arrogant about having several interviews, but I would like the best experience for myself. Obviously that will depend a lot on what I am looking for in a school, but could I ask during the interview day tour about specifically what sets school x apart from the other 8? Or would that seem like stepping on toes a bit?

27. justici

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    I asked this question during my Barry interview. They did not mind answering me at all. It is a good question to ask, in my opinion.

Keatbaby and Alpha ketoglutarate like this.
  28. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Ask it.

I asked that question so I wouldn't have to do most of the talking or ask questions that they've gotten hundreds of times over.

Doesn't come off as arrogant if you have a genuine interest in their answer and it is done in a professional manner.

de Ribas and Keatbaby like this.
  29. Abcd2814

Pre-Podiatry
    Just interviewed at Barry and Midwestern. This is a tough choice, I really loved both of the schools.

Keatbaby and justici like this.
  30. soccerpodgirl7

How long from when your transcripts were verified did Midwestern invite you for an email? How was the interview? Midwestern is currently my first choice but haven't heard anything from them!

31. Abcd2814

Pre-Podiatry
    Hi! I think i replied to you about this earlier but I had my application verified Aug 28 on AACPMAS and then Midwestern got my application Sep 4 and sent another email back Sep 6 inviting for an interview. The interview was great, the doctors there just want to get to know you instead of intimidate you. I also got accepted 9/25/18. CO2023!!! Hope you hear back from them soon!:) They are usually known to be very fast, I would call and ask to make sure they've received everything ie verified MCAT scores.

Cobra Med likes this.
  32. hopefullyigetin

getting nervous about applying because my science gpa is only at a 2.6 as a senior in college....I got 2 D's in classes but I retook both and received B's. My cGPA is about a 3.1 and non science is 3.7. still waiting for my mcat scores to get back. what should I do? is my gpa too low?

Keatbaby likes this.
  33. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You will have a hard time moving on from the first semester with a 2.6 sGPA. I would advise taking additional sci courses after graduation, getting As then applying for Pod programs.

What other classes have you taken besides the one-year gen bio and gen chem? Also, based on your practice tests, what score are you hoping to get on the MCAT?

34. hopefullyigetin

Im shooting for around the 500 range but I've taken orgo 1 & 2, B in both classes, physics 1&2 C+ in 1 and B in 2. Ive also taken physiology and got an A, biopsych B+, biochem B- and I am taking more upper level science classes this year as well. ( I got a D in physics 2 because it was calc based physics and then a D in orgo 2 but retook both and got a B) I do have a pretty solid resume with all my EC ive done over the years so hopefully that might save me!

I honestly might just consider getting into a masters biology program for a year if I get denied from all the schools.

35. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    A lot depends on MCAT. Prepare well and let it save you. Otherwise if you have at least one more semester before graduation, this is your show time.

36. yazo2

Hey all, I just got my MCAT score back minutes ago and I'm kind of excited. I was wondering if you guys would be able to tell me chances or which schools I should apply to.

• ~3.86 GPA (around there for both cGPA and sGPA)
    • 490 MCAT (120/124/122/124). I didn't do that well, but I have extreme test anxiety and I thought that I would get around 480. I'm honestly really happy and thankful that I was able to get this.
    • Hundreds of hours of volunteering, probably around 400+ or so (medical, clinical, non-clinical)
    • 5 semesters of research in biology, hundreds of hours total
    • Multiple letters of recommendation
    • About 40 hours of shadowing with an MD, 8 hours with a DPM and will be doing more in the coming months (he's going to help me get around 20). I also have a LOR from this DPM.
    That's all I can think of for now, but I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks so much! :)

#285 yazo2, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    de Ribas likes this.
  37. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    You're definitely gonna get some interviews with that strong GPA. Do you have a location preference?

yazo2 likes this.
  38. yazo2

Thanks! For reference, I'm from the northeast. I don't have a location preference, I'd be thankful for any input you might have.

I was thinking about NYCPM, CSPM and Barry. Maybe also Kent and Temple, but not sure.

39. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You're SAFE :)
    Apply early and NYCPM should give you the chance. GL.

de Ribas and yazo2 like this.
  40. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Don't do the masters. Let us know your MCAT score, all depends on that. I don't think you will have a problem getting in if the score is above 490+, but it's the staying in the pod program that is concerning.

hopefullyigetin, de Ribas and yazo2 like this.
  41. yazo2

Thanks! I'm hoping to apply this week or next week as I'm still waiting for AACPMAS to get my transcript.

42. fmcat

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Can I send transcripts to AACPMAS before applying?

43. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    All of them are great programs.

Make sure you interview and get a feel for each program instead of relying on SDN rumors.
    Pick whichever program you like the most after your interviews.

DexterMorganSK and Keatbaby like this.
  44. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    you should at least create a username and be able to log into aacpmas before sending the transcripts out..but yes..you can.

45. Shells_713

How do you add proof of a DPM shadow experience, or does the podiatrist need to mention that in the Letter of Recommendation?

46. Keatbaby

I included it in my experiences. For the description I included the amount of hours and details of my experience.

Shells_713 and justici like this.
  47. Shells_713

I know I read some insight over interviews, but any other general tips for Barry or any DPM school for that matter?

48. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Be yourself. Be confident.

Don't dress up a failure. Be honest and show them why you failed, what you did differently the next time, and how you improved.

Get a feel for the school. Pay attention to the students. Are they stressed? Are they handling it well? Are they relatively happy? Are they disgruntled? Are they there because they want to be or forced to see you? Do they represent the profession well? Are they genuine?

Pay attention to the faculty. Do they only see students once in a blue moon? Are they open to conversation? Are they busy or constantly running elsewhere?

Go with your gut.

Shells_713 and Keatbaby like this.
  49. chappystick393

Pre-Podiatry
    Just submitted my application last night! Transcripts have already been verified & LOR have been sent but not received yet.

I sent in my MCAT score on 9/17/18 but it still hasn't been received by AACPMAS - is that normal? Is it because I just submitted my app that it's not showing up or has it actually not been received yet?

justici likes this.
  50. justici

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Call AACPMAS and they will verify your score. It has been a problem for some people (including me).

chappystick393 and Keatbaby like this.
  51. chappystick393

Pre-Podiatry
    Thanks! Will def do in the AM