This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totti721

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently a senior at Penn State and struggling with the choice of nursing and medicine. While I know they are quite different educational and career paths, one seems more realistic at this point. I have a cumulative 3.21, sGPA < 3.0. I'm currently in progress of taking my first ochem, and still taking other bio classes. This gives me a year to improve my science and cumulative GPA, however I'm still not sure how realistic med school is. I also have 200+ patient care interaction, but no shadowing or volunteer experience. I do have a lot of leadership roles under my belt, and I've had 2 jobs for most of undergrad.

I liket the patient-interaction factor of nursing, however I really want to practice medicine and definitely go into a speciality, possibly surgery. I spoke with my advisor and she thinks it's high risk to pursue medicine unless I can slam ochem and my MCATs, but she keeps trying to push me for nursing as she thinks I'll like it better and have much higher chances of getting in to an ABSN.

I'd much rather go to medical school, but it might be more beneficial to pursue nursing. I've heard time and time again it can be difficult to get into med school as a nurse, however all of my prerequisites would be met and I would just have to study for MCATs. Is it worth pursuing a nursing degree and working for a couple of years to help pay off some debt, then try for med school when I'm a little older and financially stable?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Work a couple years to pay off that debt, do your best to pull up that science GPA. If you can provide a solid rationale for medicine after that - and ace (3.7+, preferably 3.8+) your postbacc *and* earn a good (513 absolute minimum, 516+ preferred - and a 520 or better will really seal the deal) MCAT, you'll do well at all but the top tier schools. The fact that you worked two jobs during undergrad will lead them to cut you a little slack on that undergrad GPA, but not much. Get above 3.0 and you've got a good chance; there are MD schools that reward reinvention.

Hey all,

I'm currently a senior at Penn State and struggling with the choice of nursing and medicine. While I know they are quite different educational and career paths, one seems more realistic at this point. I have a cumulative 3.21, sGPA < 3.0. I'm currently in progress of taking my first ochem, and still taking other bio classes. This gives me a year to improve my science and cumulative GPA, however I'm still not sure how realistic med school is. I also have 200+ patient care interaction, but no shadowing or volunteer experience. I do have a lot of leadership roles under my belt, and I've had 2 jobs for most of undergrad.

I liket the patient-interaction factor of nursing, however I really want to practice medicine and definitely go into a speciality, possibly surgery. I spoke with my advisor and she thinks it's high risk to pursue medicine unless I can slam ochem and my MCATs, but she keeps trying to push me for nursing as she thinks I'll like it better and have much higher chances of getting in to an ABSN.

I'd much rather go to medical school, but it might be more beneficial to pursue nursing. I've heard time and time again it can be difficult to get into med school as a nurse, however all of my prerequisites would be met and I would just have to study for MCATs. Is it worth pursuing a nursing degree and working for a couple of years to help pay off some debt, then try for med school when I'm a little older and financially stable?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I'm a psu alum! Make sure you are taking Chem 210, and not the other o chem track courses (I forget their number). I had a friend who took the other O chem, later wanted to do med school, and had to go back and take 210 as this is the course med schools want.

I was in somewhat similar situation to you when I graduated; high cGPA but similar sGPA and from a non science major. I did a DIY post bacc at local colleges and community colleges while working in healthcare, did well in those courses, and did well on the MCAT. I'm currently having a reasonably successful cycle having done this route. It took me 24 credits part time while working full time and one year to do this. You do not have to have all your pre reqs or your entire app lined up by the time you graduate. The way I did it is stressful (there is very little room for error) but totally worth it, and frankly I dont feel as though I would have been successful in med school without this past year. Feel free to reach out to me for more details about this DIY post bacc route.

In terms of the nursing vs physician argument, you just gotta listen to your gut and do what you feel. No one on here can answer that for you. In general, if you'd always wonder "what if I had pursued being a physician" I think it's worth it. It's gonna be tough but totally rewarding ultimately.