Accelerated Nursing School or Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniethedog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing an informal post-baccalaureate program, and am wondering, would it look good to go get a Masters or an accelerated nursing school program? I am looking to raise my science GPA but don't know if nursing would be a good option. I'm just trying to think of options in case I do not get into dental school that I can at least work, and continue to try to get into dental school. I would not be applying until next summer (2017) so I have time to do either. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that makes you look indecisive about dentistry if you do nursing. It would be different if you done your undergrad as a nursing student and THEN decided you actually love dentistry but to have an undergrad degree in something else then to do nursing and then dentistry doesn't seem like a good idea. If it was business or something then you could say so I can run my own practice or if it was lab tech or a masters in science u can say because I want to be able to conduct research as a dentist. But nursing is just suchhh a different career path and doesn't fit to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think that makes you look indecisive about dentistry if you do nursing. It would be different if you done your undergrad as a nursing student and THEN decided you actually love dentistry but to have an undergrad degree in something else then to do nursing and then dentistry doesn't seem like a good idea. If it was business or something then you could say so I can run my own practice or if it was lab tech or a masters in science u can say because I want to be able to conduct research as a dentist. But nursing is just suchhh a different career path and doesn't fit to me.
That's what I was thinking too. I have a B.S. in Biology, I just am afraid if I don't get in and had a Masters in Biomedical Sciences or something related, that what do I do next? They are completely different paths, and I can see why it would make me look indecisive. Thank you for your response! I greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do the accelerated nursing program and find out you like nursing, I'd definitely go for nursing, especially in the Bay Area. Nursing pays pretty darn well and you get vacation pay and benefits :)

Not trying to weasel you out of dentistry or anything BTW. I personally couldn't do it because I don't like being treated like **** from MD's.
Thank you for the response! Yea, I just feel like I want to be able to do something in my time off from applying to dental school, since it's a total of 2 years. The benefits would be very good. Thank you for your response! I appreciate it!

That's what I was thinking too. I have a B.S. in Biology, I just am afraid if I don't get in and had a Masters in Biomedical Sciences or something related, that what do I do next? They are completely different paths, and I can see why it would make me look indecisive. Thank you for your response! I greatly appreciate it!
No problem. Good luck with everything. What's your residency? I ask because Hunter college has a one year advanced certificate in medical technology where you take the certification test at the end of the program. Certified medical lab techs seem to have a good job market in NY and NJ as hemotologist, microbiologist etc. I work in a hospital and I always see job postings asking for certified medical lab techs. I think this would be good to relate towards wanting to do research as a dentist and stuff. Just a thought.

No problem. Good luck with everything. What's your residency? I ask because Hunter college has a one year advanced certificate in medical technology where you take the certification test at the end of the program. Certified medical lab techs seem to have a good job market in NY and NJ as hemotologist, microbiologist etc. I work in a hospital and I always see job postings asking for certified medical lab techs. I think this would be good to relate towards wanting to do research as a dentist and stuff. Just a thought.

I am a Missouri resident. I currently help the anesthesia department with their research studies, but I will definitely look into those. Thank you for the suggestions! I never thought of those!

I would do nursing in a heartbeat! Such a good field to have as a backup, too. That masters in biomedical sciences will do next to nothing, job-wise.

How does nursing make you look indecisive?

Reactions: 1 users
interesting discussion...i am wondering myself

I feel like it would make me look indecisive because it's not dental oriented. Also worried, that if I did do an accelerated BSN program, it would not help my science gpa, compared to a post-bacc or masters.

I would do nursing in a heartbeat! Such a good field to have as a backup, too. That masters in biomedical sciences will do next to nothing, job-wise.

How does nursing make you look indecisive?
because it's a completely different field and career path

If you go to nursing school you're ultimately taking a spot away from someone who truly wants to be a nurse and isn't using it as a stepping stone. Some admissions officers won't like that.

I would do the masters and if you still fail to get into dental school you can always go for nursing or some other health profession. The masters will look good when applying where as nursing just looks like you didn't like it and now want to be a dentist. I also think they would find it bizarre as a stepping stone. Dental assisting or hygiene make more sense if you want an immediate fall back but I'd still do the masters.

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

So because you work in a different path besides dentistry before applying means you look indecisive? I wonder how all the MDs, PhDs, and other nontraditional students who pivot careers got into dental school then.
Some of these comments make no sense.....do what's best for you career-wise, nursing will be a helluva smart career move before dental school, or if you end up not getting admitted to dental school. There's plenty of RN DDS's (including my oral surgeon).
Not to mention, if anything, completing an accelerated nursing program shows that you can handle a large course-load (including plenty of science) and clinical work.
I'd feel far more comfortable having a valuable nursing degree vs a mostly useless biomedical sciences if dental doesn't pan out.

So because you work in a different path besides dentistry before applying means you look indecisive? I wonder how all the MDs, PhDs, and other nontraditional students who pivot careers got into dental school then.
Some of these comments make no sense.....do what's best for you career-wise, nursing will be a helluva smart career move before dental school, or if you end up not getting admitted to dental school. There's plenty of RN DDS's (including my oral surgeon).
Not to mention, if anything, completing an accelerated nursing program shows that you can handle a large course-load (including plenty of science) and clinical work.
I'd feel far more comfortable having a valuable nursing degree vs a mostly useless biomedical sciences if dental doesn't pan out.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I feel like I would be able to learn valuable patient care skills but also demonstrate I am smart enough and able to handle a curriculum that is at an accelerated pace. I know I have always wanted a career in health care, and I feel like I would enjoy a nursing program way more than a masters program. I was going to reach out to some dental schools and see what they think about the alternative, since they will be my best and most honest answer.

There's a big difference between pivoting/changing careers and going into another health profession with the sole purpose of getting into another health profession. Should I become a PT or Paramedic or PA as a resume builder for dental school? Or does acing 1 year of intense science classes prove I can handle the workload more effectively? It just doesn't make sense to me. If you want to be a nurse then go to nursing school. If you want to be a dentist then complete upper level science classes and go to dental school.

There's a big difference between pivoting/changing careers and going into another health profession with the sole purpose of getting into another health profession. Should I become a PT or Paramedic or PA as a resume builder for dental school? Or does acing 1 year of intense science classes prove I can handle the workload more effectively? It just doesn't make sense to me. If you want to be a nurse then go to nursing school. If you want to be a dentist then complete upper level science classes and go to dental school.
If you want to be a nurse to get into dental school and have an established career as a backup, then why not? I disagree with you only because a lot of people applying aren't 21 year old graduating seniors who can just jump in to a 30 thousand dollar master program. Some have a lot of responsibility and need an established professional alternative if dental doesn't pan out. Does a SMP prove you can handle coursework? Sure, but so does an organized thesis based hard science masters, accelerated nursing and others that leave you with actual job prospects.
Evidence here and in school based on the plentiful number of dental assistants/researchers/MPH/RN's/other fields that use them as transitional careers to improve their resume and apply.
And like it or not, nursing is a field that acts as a stepping stone for a lot of people into a lot of healthcare fields (see: PA school specifically).

If you have a good GPA, and a good DAT, and good ECs dental schools wont reject you cause you went to nursing school. It probably looks even better. Thats an excellent degree because its useful. A masters is throwing away money. You cant do anything with a masters. Do nursing. Its smarter

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's a difference between working in the field and just getting the degree with no intention of using it. Nobody said you can't work in another healthcare field prior to dental school.

There's a difference between working in the field and just getting the degree with no intention of using it. Nobody said you can't work in another healthcare field prior to dental school.
And nobody said you can't use it as a stepping stone or backup either. Do people who do post baccs and SMP plan to contribute to the field of academic biomedical science or anatomy with their masters? Probably not.

I am currently doing an informal post-baccalaureate program, and am wondering, would it look good to go get a Masters or an accelerated nursing school program? I am looking to raise my science GPA but don't know if nursing would be a good option. I'm just trying to think of options in case I do not get into dental school that I can at least work, and continue to try to get into dental school. I would not be applying until next summer (2017) so I have time to do either. Thanks!

I agree with what other posters have said, ADCOMS will not hold it against you as long as you've actually worked as a Nurse (not for a few months....a few years). Otherwise you will have to convince them that you will not just collect a DDS/DMD degree like you did your Nursing degree.