Accepted - Now how should I disclose a criminal conviction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glibra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long story short, I am accepted to a school that did not ask about any prior convictions in their secondary app. I also did not disclose the conviction on my AMCAS because it didn't occur until after I had submitted the app.

The incident occurred in early Winter 2014 and was a DUI with a BAC of "between .09 and .10%" according to the court record. I fought the charges because I wanted the charge to get brought down to a lesser offense (didn't work) and was convicted in early fall 2015 (took almost a year of bargaining before a conviction occurred). I have no other convictions or record of any kind.

How should I go about disclosing this conviction to my school? Any advice

Thanks for reading and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell them what you did, what you learned from it, and how it will never happen again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell them what you did, what you learned from it, and how it will never happen again.

Thanks for the reply. Logistically speaking, should I send this in a letter? Should I set up a meeting with admissions? Should I call? I'm just unsure of how to approach them with the issue.

I'm well aware of the stupid mistake I made, but I don't want to come off as insincere by saying "well this thing happened before I even applied to your school, but I waited to bring it up until you had accepted me," when in reality, I was just never approached with a good opportunity to disclose it.

EDIT: I would have loved to bring it up during the interview, but it was MMI.

Email the director of admissions and ask for a face-to-face if you live closeby. Otherwise, email him/her and ask for a phone interview.

Sounds like you needed a better lawyer.
Every day you wait to report this to them makes you look worse and increases your chances of a dismissal.
PS The time to disclose it was the day of the conviction.

You're not wrong. This was also in California in a very harsh county. I will call admissions tomorrow and tell them I need to disclose a previous conviction and ask them for their preference. I live about 8 hours away so I would be willing to drive out there for a face-to-face meeting but it wouldn't be ideal.

https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2009/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Misdemeanor.htm

Note: You must inform the Admissions Office of each medical school to which you apply if you are convicted of, or plead guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime after the date of your submission of this application and prior to your medical school matriculation. Your communication to each medical school must be in writing, and must occur within ten (10) business days of the occurrence of the criminal charge or conviction.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't Cali that one state where a DUI is a felony?

I'm no adcom, but a felony vs misdemeanor... There's definitely a difference lol someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was a felony charge, I'm not sure if you could even get licensed as a physician

Isn't Cali that one state where a DUI is a felony?

I'm no adcom, but a felony vs misdemeanor... There's definitely a difference lol

Nope. just a misdemeanor. Although I believe it can be a felony after a certain BAC? Not sure about that one.

RIP Indeed. Wish me luck?
Just kidding, your chances aren't completely over. For some odd reason, this "post-acceptance conviction" scenario comes up quite often. I would definitely disclose this as soon as possible, they will eventually find out, and when they do, the punishment will be a lot worse than if you had just simply told them.

Take a few days to come up with a good approach because you want to be careful how you go about doing so. One wrong move and it could mean the end of your career as a physician. Whatever your approach is, make sure under no circumstances do you undermine the conviction. Admit that you were being stupid, that you are completely and wholeheartedly regret your decision, and that you are, or at least hope you are, taking corrective actions to learn from your mistake.

Best of luck OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just kidding, your chances aren't completely over. For some odd reason, this "post-acceptance conviction" scenario comes up quite often. I would definitely disclose this as soon as possible, they will eventually find out, and when they do, the punishment will be a lot worse than if you had just simply told them.

Take a few days to come up with a good approach because you want to be careful how you go about doing so. One wrong move and it could mean the end of your career as a physician. Whatever your approach is, make sure under no circumstances do you undermine the conviction. Admit that you were being stupid, that you are completely and wholeheartedly regret your decision, and that you are, or at least hope you are, taking corrective actions to learn from your mistake.

Best of luck OP.

Thank you for this response. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I wish there wasn't such a huge stigma against people with minor infractions. I understand why it exists, but I wish my entire career wasn't jeopardized because I made a dumb decision and drove with a .10 bac.
Don't tell the school that accepted you this, especially if it is mine...

Reactions: 11 users
Don't tell the school that accepted you this, especially if it is mine...

Of course. Not trying to downplay the seriousness of a DUI. Needless to say I will never drink a drive again, not even after one drink.

Thank you for this response. I really appreciate it. I've been waitlisted at a few other schools in which I did disclose, and they didn't seem to make too big of a deal about it. One interviewer asked me if was addicted to alcohol. I wish there wasn't such a huge stigma against people with minor infractions. I understand why it exists, but I wish my entire career wasn't jeopardized because I made a dumb decision and drove with a .10 bac.
Wait, so you failed to report it to the school when you were convicted, and you want sympathy for doing something that put everyone in your community at risk? Those who are truly remorseful might get sympathy in a situation like yours, but not someone who calls it a "minor infraction" and plays the victim.

Thank you for this response. I really appreciate it. I've been waitlisted at a few other schools in which I did disclose, and they didn't seem to make too big of a deal about it. One interviewer asked me if was addicted to alcohol. I completely understand why there is such a huge stigma against people with minor infractions as it could reflect on an individual's future ability to care for his or her patients. I wish I wasn't dumb enough to jeapordize my entire career because I made an ill-advised decision and drove with a .10 bac.
I fixed it for you. Either change your attitude or kiss your career as a physician goodbye.

I completely understand why there is such a huge stigma against people with minor infractions as it could reflect on an individual's future ability to care for his or her patients. I wish I wasn't dumb enough to jeapordize my entire career because I made an ill-advised decision and drove with a .10 bac..

Definitely better word choice. "Minor infraction" was a poor way to phrase my thinking. Thank you everyone for your input.

Let the school know stat.

If OP had gotten this expunged (in OP's state no contest or guilty get reversed to not guilty), then they have the right to answer NO to schools, but YES to the medical board correct?

If OP had gotten this expunged (in OP's state no contest or guilty get reversed to not guilty), then they have the right to answer NO to schools, but YES to the medical board correct?
Expungement has nothing to do with questions your medical school asks you. It's a legal term.

I think it really depends on the wording of the question. In california, expungement of a DUI mean they "reopen" the case and change the verdict to "dismissed". I can't imagine anyone (school, employer, etc.) looking favorably on saying you were "never convicted" after expunging the record. They WILL find out about it sooner or later.

You said NO fresh off a conviction (you were convicted in FALL 15. Not even a year ago) and now you want to retract that statement and answer in the affirmative.

I wonder what adcoms think intuitively: blatant omission or an honest lapse in judgement since no one would ever say they blatantly tried to hide information.

I understand your sentiment, but I think you misread my post. My conviction happened over 4 months after submitting my AMCAS application and all of my secondaries. I said no to the conviction in my applications because I was only charged at that point in the eyes of the state. It wasn't blatant omission because I truthly had not been convicted of anything. I recognize the ridiculousness of that statement, but I followed the instructions.

I should have notified the schools in writing after I knew of the conviction. That was where I was definitely at fault. Is the fact that I didn't do that blatant omission? I don't know. After filling out 20 secondaries and disclosing my charge on almost all of them, I can truthfully say it was a lapse in judgement to not disclose to this particular school.

Yeah ok.
You were convicted of a DUI, which is a huge deal and draws questions about your judgement. Not disclosing as required is another lapse in judgement. You cannot minimize this or claim ignorance. That's not something you "forget to do". You're a college educated adult applying to professional school, not an illiterate high school drop out.
Good luck.

Things will work themselves out, OP. People have gotten in with worse. Please keep us updated. Good luck!

Let them know ASAP and beg for forgiveness

Why did you let your wait list schools know but not your accepted school know?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app