Accepted Students (c/o 2022): What are your summer plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gjsmize88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread because I enjoyed looking through last year's and I haven't seen one yet for this year.. and I'm super curious to hear what everyone's plans are!

My plans for the summer include lots of traveling! I'm fortunate enough to have a sister that plays travel softball and a dad who coaches her team and wants my help, so by tagging along I'll get to go to Niagra Falls, Chicago, Denver, and somewhere in NJ (not sure where, but hoping it's close to NYC as I've never been there) all mostly paid for! Of course, these aren't exactly the ideal vacations considering my whole trip revolves around their game schedule, but there's always a little downtime to explore and be a tourist! It has also been awhile since I've gotten the chance to be crafty and make stuff, so I'm thinking about maybe doing some fun, inexpensive pinterest-DIY stuff to make whatever rental house I move into a little more home-y. Other than that I will be doing a lot of hiking with my dog, and working a little to save up some extra money. I'm just SO relieved I don't have to spend any more time carefully planning how to improve my application for the next cycle!

Also - don't yell at me - but I wanted to see if there is anyone out there that actually would recommend looking over any materials before starting? I know the general advice is not to do anything like that.. but I didn't get in on my first try so I've been out of school for about a year now, and I'm almost getting to the point where I WISH I had something to study! (I totally know I'm going to regret saying that once I actually get to vet school.... haha)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Starting this thread because I enjoyed looking through last year's and I haven't seen one yet for this year.. and I'm super curious to hear what everyone's plans are!

My plans for the summer include lots of traveling! I'm fortunate enough to have a sister that plays travel softball and a dad who coaches her team and wants my help, so by tagging along I'll get to go to Niagra Falls, Chicago, Denver, and somewhere in NJ (not sure where, but hoping it's close to NYC as I've never been there) all mostly paid for! Of course, these aren't exactly the ideal vacations considering my whole trip revolves around their game schedule, but there's always a little downtime to explore and be a tourist! It has also been awhile since I've gotten the chance to be crafty and make stuff, so I'm thinking about maybe doing some fun, inexpensive pinterest-DIY stuff to make whatever rental house I move into a little more home-y. Other than that I will be doing a lot of hiking with my dog, and working a little to save up some extra money. I'm just SO relieved I don't have to spend any more time carefully planning how to improve my application for the next cycle!

Also - don't yell at me - but I wanted to see if there is anyone out there that actually would recommend looking over any materials before starting? I know the general advice is not to do anything like that.. but I didn't get in on my first try so I've been out of school for about a year now, and I'm almost getting to the point where I WISH I had something to study! (I totally know I'm going to regret saying that once I actually get to vet school.... haha)
That all sounds like fun!!!!

And DoNt StUdY oVeR sUmMeR bReAkKkKkKk. Don’t burn yourself out before you even start. Just take the summer break to relax because it’s one of the last few you’ll have.

Reactions: 5 users

See, when I first saw this thread my first instinct was to run in screaming OMG DO NOT TRY TO STUDY GO HAVE FUN BREATHE THE FREE AIR AND SOAK IN THE SUNSHINE

And then I started reading, and breathed a deep sigh of relief...

...and then sharply inhaled because OMG NO DO NOT TRY TO STUDY GO HAVE FUN BREATHE THE FREE AIR SOAK IN THE SUNSHINE

But really, truly, and honestly - studying ahead will not do you any significant favors. I guarantee you will surpass all that you have studied in about a week of classes. Really.

Your summer plans sound really great, you should do those instead. :)

If you are bound and determined to read something vet med related, I would recommend a fun, good feels read like "Tell Me Where It Hurts" by Nick Trout.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely: being a bum in Blacksburg (slash moving... in the process of house selling now so somewhat dependent on when it sells)

If timing works out perfectly: being a bum in middle-of-nowhere Montana for a big chunk of the summer

Unlikely, but....: I applied for a summer gig at CDC and one at USDA but they're both a reach, methinks

Reactions: 2 users
Studying before won’t help you! Only death will save you from your imminent {but fun} doom! Enjoy the happiness, the sunshine, and the guilt-free nothingness! :love:

Reactions: 9 users
The C/O 2022 thread has a bunch of people's plans already if you were curious.
I will continue enjoying being free of school clutches :laugh:
On a serious note though kayaking and well...more kayaking followed by yet more kayaking with the occational work day. When not kayaking, biking and working with my horse before I leave and enjoying time with my dogs and parents before I move.

ETA: Oh yeah and applying for scholarships because that's a thing come June.

Reactions: 4 users
OMG NO DO NOT TRY TO STUDY GO HAVE FUN BREATHE THE FREE AIR SOAK IN THE SUNSHINE

Meh, I said don't yell at me! :(

Haha, but no, I was only asking because my dad went through med school and was suggesting I find some sort of veterinary anatomy prep book to start getting ready. He's a very active, goal-oriented person and I think it's starting to drive him nuts watching me do next to nothing.....but I admit, I'm getting pretty bored and would have actually been willing to study a little. I'll definitely look into that book you suggested, though!

Last edited:
On a serious note though kayaking and well...more kayaking followed by yet more kayaking with the occational work day. When not kayaking, biking and working with my horse before I leave and enjoying time with my dogs and parents before I move.

I might be getting a kayak pretty soon and I'm super excited!!! It was supposed to be a graduation gift from my grandparents that they would pay for half of it, but I just was never at the point where I was ready to pay for the other half. I would be ready now, but I'm not sure I really have anyone that will go with me this summer or if I will be able to use it much while I'm in school...so now I'm having doubts on whether or not I should go for it!

Reactions: 1 user

Why have I not seen pictures of your pony

Meh, I said don't yell at me :(

Haha, but no, I was only asking because my dad went through med school and was suggesting I find some sort of veterinary anatomy prep book to start getting ready. He's a very active, goal-oriented person and I think it's starting to drive him nuts watching me do next to nothing.....but I admit, I'm getting pretty bored and would have actually been willing to study a little. I'll definitely look into that book you suggested, though!
Don’t listen to your dad. Don’t do it. Just enjoy your summer.

Reactions: 3 users
I might be getting a kayak pretty soon and I'm super excited!!! It was supposed to be a graduation gift from my grandparents that they would pay for half of it, but I just was never at the point where I was ready to pay for the other half. I would be ready now, but I'm not sure I really have anyone that will go with me this summer or if I will be able to use it much while I'm in school...so now I'm having doubts on whether or not I should go for it!
I am probably leaving mine at home for school just because I'll be living in an apartment with no storage for it unless I want to pay for a storage shed. So it is probably 95% staying at my parents, but when I come home some for summer I can go take it out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@SkiOtter How about now?
smaller image
bpbm70njrp0g
I think if you quote it works
ETA: I'm not tech savvy with this SDN and images working

Also - don't yell at me - but I wanted to see if there is anyone out there that actually would recommend looking over any materials before starting? I know the general advice is not to do anything like that.. but I didn't get in on my first try so I've been out of school for about a year now, and I'm almost getting to the point where I WISH I had something to study! (I totally know I'm going to regret saying that once I actually get to vet school....
haha)

Out of school for a year? Try 7 years out of school! Still trying to remember that thing about mito-something, power-what? (Ski)

Was talking to BBC -- I'm trying to do a 6 day orca kayaking trip up in British Columbia! Hopefully I don't get etted up. When kayaking I usually get hot and want to hop into the water... but the problem is getting back in without tipping the kayak over so much that the dry bags don't fall into the water. What to do....

Where are you going to school?

Was talking to BBC -- I'm trying to do a 6 day orca kayaking trip up in British Columbia! Hopefully I don't get etted up. When kayaking I usually get hot and want to hop into the water... but the problem is getting back in without tipping the kayak over so much that the dry bags don't fall into the water. What to do....
Just get a skirt and roll yourself
(Which you should prob have for sea kayaking anyway tbh)

Just get a skirt and roll yourself
(Which you should prob have for sea kayaking anyway tbh)

Hahaha I can always count on you reading EVERYTHING ;)

Spray skirts are actually THAT waterproof? I shall have to research...

Hahaha I can always count on you reading EVERYTHING ;)

Spray skirts are actually THAT waterproof? I shall have to research...
I mean, my sister was a kayak guide for 3 summers and she would roll with one to impress the people she was guiding. :laugh:

As long as it properly fits you and doesn’t gap it supposedly should be fine

I mean, my sister was a kayak guide for 3 summers and she would roll with one to impress the people she was guiding. :laugh:

As long as it properly fits you and doesn’t gap it supposedly should be fine
How far can she paddle while upside down is what I want to know -- I'm envisioning Pirates of the Caribbean style :coldfeet:

I plan on working most of the summer, to travel using whatever vacation time I have left, and not studying! Oh, I also plan to volunteer at this horse farm that gives you free horse riding lessons at the end of your volunteer shift.

My fun summer plans (besides working, of course) include competing in CPE agility trials with my border collie mix and maybe try to pass our NW1 (odor recognition) test for nosework. I'm still debating if I want to try to show my little whippet boy or not as his breeder/DVM wants to be his handler if I decide to. But for now, we're just working on obedience and working towards passing our Canine Good Citizen test before the fall.

Pretty much all dog related activities here. I love working with my dogs and it's a great way to me to destress after work. :happy:

I've already traveled internationally, as my dad works for Delta airlines, but maybe I'll try to squeeze in a trip back to Europe before school starts. :whistle:

speaking of not studying, but also not turning completely into a sunsoaked vegetable with a head full of mush...

Anybody have recommendations for reading, watching, or listening that is related to vet med? Also happy to accept vaguely related, or not related at all recommendations.

For example, I just finished the first season of the podcast "This Podcast Will Kill You" - little bit of biolgy, little bit of history on infectious disease. I rather enjoyed it and also learned some interesting things! It also made me happy because right now I'm basically doing all chemistry all the time and it was nice to remember that other, more enjoyable subjects out there (to me, at least).

Reactions: 1 users
speaking of not studying, but also not turning completely into a sunsoaked vegetable with a head full of mush...

Anybody have recommendations for reading, watching, or listening that is related to vet med? Also happy to accept vaguely related, or not related at all recommendations.

For example, I just finished the first season of the podcast "This Podcast Will Kill You" - little bit of biolgy, little bit of history on infectious disease. I rather enjoyed it and also learned some interesting things! It also made me happy because right now I'm basically doing all chemistry all the time and it was nice to remember that other, more enjoyable subjects out there (to me, at least).
I’m a self diagnosed surgery addict, and I spent my summer watching hours and hours of surgery videos. YouTube is great sometimes. Other than that, enjoy the mush. I watched all 12 seasons of Supernatural and watched a lot of Harry Potter. Did some traveling, had a surgery! :laugh: Don’t feel like you HAVE to do something educational at all! Keeps you from burning out as quickly! ;)

Play WW?

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t feel like you HAVE to do something educational at all! Keeps you from burning out as quickly! ;)

I get super bored after about 7-10 days of being a complete bum and netflixing to my hearts desire. Might be nice to read a book once and awhile :laugh: Also, if I head out to Montana for the summer I have 35 hours of driving (just one way :help:). I can only jam out to music for so long... Gotta podcast or audio-book it up!

WE CAN ALL PLAY SO MUCH WW

But... I don't get cell service at my parents house at all. And their internet struggles with loading my email in basic mode, let alone an internet forum with *gasp* photo avatars. I'd get lynched day 1 for sure. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users

But... I don't get cell service at my parents house at all. And their internet struggles with loading my email in basic mode, let alone an internet forum with *gasp* photo avatars. I'd get lynched day 1 for sure. :laugh:
Nah they’d prob give you til at least day 2 to check in THEN start lynching you

Anybody have recommendations for reading, watching, or listening that is related to vet med? Also happy to accept vaguely related, or not related at all

I’m big into podcasts and love Vet School Unleashed Dissecting the DVM. I also just started listening to Blunt Dissection and like that one as well.

But... I don't get cell service at my parents house at all. And their internet struggles with loading my email in basic mode, let alone an internet forum with *gasp* photo avatars. I'd get lynched day 1 for sure.
IRL excuses already
###
Lynch Brittany Spears
###

Something I'm still figuring out.. it hasn't totally sunk in that I'll be going to vet school in the fall!!

I'm currently full time at a small animal clinic. I'm trying to decide if/when/how much I should cut back hours. On one hand, the more I work the more practical skills and experience I gain (also, money!).. but on another, this summer I also have to complete my fear free certification and take biochem online (granted, I've taken it before, although it was too long ago to count ). Any advice on tapering hours ?

Something I'm still figuring out.. it hasn't totally sunk in that I'll be going to vet school in the fall!!

I'm currently full time at a small animal clinic. I'm trying to decide if/when/how much I should cut back hours. On one hand, the more I work the more practical skills and experience I gain (also, money!).. but on another, this summer I also have to complete my fear free certification and take biochem online (granted, I've taken it before, although it was too long ago to count ). Any advice on tapering hours ?
Don’t forget to set aside some time this summer for fun things too!!! It’s one of your last few summer breaks ever so definitely try and do some fun stuff too!

Unlikely, but....: I applied for a summer gig at CDC and one at USDA but they're both a reach, methinks
Sorry for stalking you all over today. Don't underestimate the power of veterans preference. I've gotten alot of hires thanks to their prioritization towards vets.

I'm in a similar situation. I work at an ER and I work 3rd shift so I'm planning on definitely quitting the job (possibly staying on a as a contingent and picking up a few shifts if I feel like it) at the end of June. This would give me all of July off to prepare for my move, and then all of August off in my new place/city. Lately I've been debating if I should quit earlier like end of May or mid June. I want to enjoy this summer, but also need money and like the experience. Also, third shift has a way of screwing with my body so I think having time to switch myself off of that schedule will be beneficial. I just keep going back and forth but want to let my boss know asap when I will be leaving so they have plenty of time to find a replacement.

Last edited:
Sorry for stalking you all over today. Don't underestimate the power of veterans preference. I've gotten alot of hires thanks to their prioritization towards vets.

QUIT FOLLOWING ME
jk can I acutally pm you about VSO stuff?