You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Accepted Students (c/o 2022): What are your summer plans?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats! That’s awesome! What department and where?!PLOT TWIST I got called yesterday and had an interview for a summer position at USDA this morning![]()
Congrats! That’s awesome! What department and where?!
Food Safety and Inspection Service. They have multiple departments in several cities hiring from one applicant pool, but I was interviewed by a DC based on today (I live in DC metro). The person who interviewed me today said she thought I would probably also be contacted by other departments based on my background. 😀
Guess I was a better applicant than I thought

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Niiiice! I'm in DC as well 🙂 Lemme PM youFood Safety and Inspection Service. They have multiple departments in several cities hiring from one applicant pool, but I was interviewed by a DC based on today (I live in DC metro). The person who interviewed me today said she thought I would probably also be contacted by other departments based on my background. 😀
Guess I was a better applicant than I thought![]()
Woot woot!!!PLOT TWIST I got called yesterday and had an interview for a summer position at USDA this morning![]()
###
Unlynch Brittany spearz
###
Good luck!
Last edited:
QUIT FOLLOWING ME
jk can I acutally pm you about VSO stuff?
Of course. And I knew you'd do good with the feds
You are. For spelling Britney Spears wrong.I'm a terrible person [emoji23]
PLOT TWIST I got called yesterday and had an interview for a summer position at USDA this morning![]()
Yay!!!! Congrats blitzen!!!!Food Safety and Inspection Service. They have multiple departments in several cities hiring from one applicant pool, but I was interviewed by a DC based on today (I live in DC metro). The person who interviewed me today said she thought I would probably also be contacted by other departments based on my background. 😀
Guess I was a better applicant than I thought![]()
I'm using Mel's spelling so I'm in terrible companyYou are. For spelling Britney Spears wrong.
I'm using Mel's spelling so I'm in terrible company
If you want to be as annoying as Mel, you really should be spelling it britNay spears. emphasis on the NAY to make it sound as awful as possible 😉
Have you been to the PNW coast before?Out of school for a year? Try 7 years out of school! Still trying to remember that thing about mito-something, power-what? (Ski)
Was talking to BBC -- I'm trying to do a 6 day orca kayaking trip up in British Columbia! Hopefully I don't get etted up. When kayaking I usually get hot and want to hop into the water... but the problem is getting back in without tipping the kayak over so much that the dry bags don't fall into the water. What to do....
Where are you going to school?
I was kayaking last summer in the San Juans (just a bit south of BC) and lemme tell you, it doesnt get very hot ever. Our coast is very breezy.
I’ve spent some time in the PNW — I really want to come back and do some of the PCT — I’ve done a bit of the AT over on this side and am doing some hiking up in the white mountains this summer. I’ve been to to the San Juans before — my uncle actually got married on Orcas island and his wife is from Washington so that was a lot of fun. I gather it will be cooler — I was just saying that usually I get hot when kayaking? Also sailing and having a dog — neither of us stay dry very long and honestly prefer being in the water. It will be too cold to swim for this trip, as you well know.... and not to mention the hungry killer whales 😉😉😉Have you been to the PNW coast before?
I was kayaking last summer in the San Juans (just a bit south of BC) and lemme tell you, it doesnt get very hot ever. Our coast is very breezy.
Drinking?
Wasn't sure if it was related to kayaking on east coast; it is so dang humid over there and not the case here.I’ve spent some time in the PNW — I really want to come back and do some of the PCT — I’ve done a bit of the AT over on this side and am doing some hiking up in the white mountains this summer. I’ve been to to the San Juans before — my uncle actually got married on Orcas island and his wife is from Washington so that was a lot of fun. I gather it will be cooler — I was just saying that usually I get hot when kayaking? Also sailing and having a dog — neither of us stay dry very long and honestly prefer being in the water. It will be too cold to swim for this trip, as you well know.... and not to mention the hungry killer whales 😉😉😉
If you have the chance I highly recommend taking a detour to Puget sound. There are some areas where you can find bioluminescent algae in the water and makes for a very magical experience when your kayaking at night. Friday Harbor is one spot, Sequim is another. There may be more.
My sister was a kayak guide in Anacortes for a summer a couple years ago (and before and after that was a guide in the UP in Michigan) and I’m pretty sure she used to go to Friday Harbor.Wasn't sure if it was related to kayaking on east coast; it is so dang humid over there and not the case here.
If you have the chance I highly recommend taking a detour to Puget sound. There are some areas where you can find bioluminescent algae in the water and makes for a very magical experience when your kayaking at night. Friday Harbor is one spot, Sequim is another. There may be more.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Totally get that fun vs money thing .. I'm thinking I'll end up taking most of July off. I want to maintain a good relationship with this clinic as they've been so good to me... but there is a good deal of pressure to be "a team player" and work until the minute I start school. My coworkers/bosses don't seem to "get" why I would want to take off because obviously I'll need money, but all my friends in professional school think I would be crazy to work through my last summer. I basically don't want to come off as lazy but also don't want to give up my last summer. I love my job, but a vacation would be welcomed. 😵
I'm in a similar situation. I work at an ER and I work 3rd shift so I'm planning on definitely quitting the job (possibly staying on a as a contingent and picking up a few shifts if I feel like it) at the end of June. This would give me all of July off to prepare for my move, and then all of August off in my new place/city. Lately I've been debating if I should quite earlier like end of May or mid June. I want to enjoy this summer, but also need money and like the experience. Also, third shift has a way of screwing with my body so I think having time to switch myself off of that schedule will be beneficial. I just keep going back and forth but want to let my boss know asap when I will be leaving so they have plenty of time to find a replacement.
DEFINITELY take some time off and enjoy yourself. Don’t let them guilt you into working until you leave if it’s not what you want to do. But yes, definitely still maintain a good relationship with them since the doctors there will be your colleagues in the future.Totally get that fun vs money thing .. I'm thinking I'll end up taking most of July off. I want to maintain a good relationship with this clinic as they've been so good to me... but there is a good deal of pressure to be "a team player" and work until the minute I start school. My coworkers/bosses don't seem to "get" why I would want to take off because obviously I'll need money, but all my friends in professional school think I would be crazy to work through my last summer. I basically don't want to come off as lazy but also don't want to give up my last summer. I love my job, but a vacation would be welcomed. 😵
I’m currently trying to figure out how I’m gonna break it to my boss and manager that I want to go down to part time this summer so I actually have time to do fun things while I can (ride my horse/go to the beach/go out with friends/etc). Hopefully they understand, but they rely on me a lot so it won’t be easy:/
I feel the same way. But I look at it this way, due to chronic short staffing, my place is a toxic form of what it used to be when I started years ago. I want to keep my connections and relationships with the staff and my colleagues but I have to do me this summer. Working to make other people on a team happy has slowly chipped away my vibrancy and calm demeanor. Even if you have watched these people's kids grow up, or you have worked there for years and they are your second family..., even if you are going to be their future colleague in the veterinary world, you HAVE to remember that these next 4 years are going to be a whole new ball game and working until you start school if you have any seed of doubt which you appear to, you need to put you first and take time off! Someone once told me. Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter. So you do you 😉
Totally get that fun vs money thing .. I'm thinking I'll end up taking most of July off. I want to maintain a good relationship with this clinic as they've been so good to me... but there is a good deal of pressure to be "a team player" and work until the minute I start school. My coworkers/bosses don't seem to "get" why I would want to take off because obviously I'll need money, but all my friends in professional school think I would be crazy to work through my last summer. I basically don't want to come off as lazy but also don't want to give up my last summer. I love my job, but a vacation would be welcomed. 😵
That sounds amazing! No time this trip, but maybe I'll have to come back. Now I need to stay friends with some peeps on that side @MixedAnimals77Wasn't sure if it was related to kayaking on east coast; it is so dang humid over there and not the case here.
If you have the chance I highly recommend taking a detour to Puget sound. There are some areas where you can find bioluminescent algae in the water and makes for a very magical experience when your kayaking at night. Friday Harbor is one spot, Sequim is another. There may be more.
Also, speaking of hiking... 3 day trip to the highest point in WV this time last year; tried to fit everything into the pack... had to take Z out and she had to hike, sadly!
There aren't many lakes where I'll be just lots of hills you're better off with coffee?[emoji1]That sounds amazing! No time this trip, but maybe I'll have to come back. Now I need to stay friends with some peeps on that side @MixedAnimals77
Also, speaking of hiking... 3 day trip to the highest point in WV this time last year; tried to fit everything into the pack... had to take Z out and she had to hike, sadly!Any one doing any backpacking this summer???
View attachment 231350
Kayaking isn’t my first choice; neither is rock climbing — I prefer activities I can do with Z. Hiking, backpacking, ocean swimming etc.There aren't many lakes where I'll be just lots of hills you're better off with coffee?[emoji1]
You can walk up and down the hills...but not much is in my immediate area 🙁Kayaking isn’t my first choice; neither is rock climbing — I prefer activities I can do with Z. Hiking, backpacking, ocean swimming etc.
YesPlay WW? [emoji23]
Yup ... in the High Sierras.Any one doing any backpacking this summer???View attachment 231350
If ya see me, feel free to yodel and I'll yodel back!
Yup ... in the High Sierras.
If ya see me, feel free to yodel and I'll yodel back!
View attachment 231411
Right on! I'll be yodelling from the Mahoosuc 😉
Did you end up getting the job or are you too good for them and they were afraid you’d outshine them?PLOT TWIST I got called yesterday and had an interview for a summer position at USDA this morning![]()
Did you end up getting the job or are you too good for them and they were afraid you’d outshine them?
I got the job! I start in a few weeks.

Congrats!!!I got the job! I start in a few weeks.![]()
YAYYYYYYYY GO BLITZEN GO!!!I got the job! I start in a few weeks.![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad