Accepted students: what are your summer plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nobody wants your old, white panel van....

I would never give up my white panel van. How do you think I pick up little young things like @WildZoo ???

Nope, this is a genuine offer for a real veterinary-related prize. Contest closes when I get a submission that meets the criteria of being a halfway decent job (as decided by me), and proof that it wasn't ripped off the Internet.

Having a hairless cat does not disqualify one from entering.
 
I would never give up my white panel van. How do you think I pick up little young things like @WildZoo ???

Nope, this is a genuine offer for a real veterinary-related prize. Contest closes when I get a submission that meets the criteria of being a halfway decent job (as decided by me), and proof that it wasn't ripped off the Internet.

Having a hairless cat does not disqualify one from entering.

Eww, veterinary related prize....

I want monies...

Explains why it is only open to pre-vets... vet students wouldn't want the prize. 😛
 
I would never give up my white panel van. How do you think I pick up little young things like @WildZoo ???

Nope, this is a genuine offer for a real veterinary-related prize. Contest closes when I get a submission that meets the criteria of being a halfway decent job (as decided by me), and proof that it wasn't ripped off the Internet.

Having a hairless cat does not disqualify one from entering.
Hmph. I could have done great things with that van :yeahright:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmph. I could have done great things with that van :yeahright:

You can still do great things IN the van. 😉

Eww, veterinary related prize....

I want monies...

Explains why it is only open to pre-vets... vet students wouldn't want the prize. 😛

So cynical, DVMD, so cynical. I was TRYING to open up a fun summer project for all these pre-vets that want to study. Teach them some anatomy, have some fun in the process, etc. Man. Some people. So bitter. 😉
 
1. Continue to work, but reduce to part-time
2. Spend time with my hubby, road trip and hiking
3. Spend time with my parents oversea
4. Try to shadow some acupuncture/rehab clinic in next few months
5. I might try one of the RAVs, mostly going in as a technician to help out. But I think it will be good to build the link first before becoming the vet student.

Uhh.... I found the list is getting long....
 
You should! Last year was pretty much all about Hannibal for me. I got 2nd row in the panel and got to meet the cast minus Mads! I used to go to the Supernatural panel and sit through all of the Sunday stuff, but Supernatural has been really bad lately so I stopped going... I went to the Community and Archer panels too. I've been cosplaying for awhile. I went as Zatanna from DC and Cheryl/Carol from Archer last year, because Comic-Con's not the best cosplay con. I also had a group of Sailor Scouts for Anime Expo. I actually put an award I won at Comic-Con's masquerade on my VMCAS app :angelic:

How fun!! I can't say I know much about those shows, but seeing all of your favorite cast members/actors live is unlike anything else. Woah! That is super neat!! I have yet to go to the masquerade but really want to one year! That's something to be proud of!
 
I would never give up my white panel van. How do you think I pick up little young things like @WildZoo ???

Nope, this is a genuine offer for a real veterinary-related prize. Contest closes when I get a submission that meets the criteria of being a halfway decent job (as decided by me), and proof that it wasn't ripped off the Internet.

Having a hairless cat does not disqualify one from entering.
tumblr_n39tffHOEd1sej561o3_400.gif

Just because this graduate has next to nothing fun to do
 
Juniper's just a kitten, she'll get over it.
Maybe I can convince the anesth prep team to give her a full shave for her spay...
How are you going to deal with the layers of muscles? Will you only include the most superficial muscles, or do you have a creative solution to show all the muscles?
 
I'm going to be reducing my hours at my SA clinic (job) because I don't really enjoy it. But I still want a little money.

Then I'll probably still visit my avian clinic and my rural Vet because I love them dearly and I have so much fun volunteering there. They're amazing mentors and wonderful people.

Then I'm going to play a million video games. Maybe two million. Maybe just the new Alien game.

Also I think getting horse experience won't be the worse thing in the world. So far it sounds like most vet school horse experience (please correct me if I'm wrong) is a "safer" environment and more controlled in padded rooms and I've seen some schools where they do surgeries on tables. The horse practices I've worked at aren't like that. They're outside, it's hot, it's raining, the horses are crazy, the people are in the way, it's a mess. It definitely increased my reflexes and stuff. It was neat. I'm not a horse person (I'm more pigs and chickens) but I also had fun being in a new environment.

Also, congratulations!


I'll just tell you from experience, most horses at a university are there because no other veterinarian wants to deal with them. It's not a "safer" environment by any means. I've worked in a hospital at a vet school for a year and a half and it's definitely worse than dealing with horses out in the field. Not every horse you encounter at a vet school will be crazy, but a bunch of them are. Now our teaching horses are awesome! Calm, willing to let you do just about anything to them, and understanding so that's a "safer" and better environment for learning!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm going to bump this thread up to get some ideas. I've heard pretty mixed opinions of what to do right before first year. I've heard binge watch Netflix and I've heard shadow shadow shadow or work work work to keep your skills/knowledge base (even though it's small) fresh. For those of you that are currently in vet school or are DVMs, what do you recommend or do you wish you had done something differently right before your first year?
 
So I'm going to bump this thread up to get some ideas. I've heard pretty mixed opinions of what to do right before first year. I've heard binge watch Netflix and I've heard shadow shadow shadow or work work work to keep your skills/knowledge base (even though it's small) fresh. For those of you that are currently in vet school or are DVMs, what do you recommend or do you wish you had done something differently right before your first year?
All I've heard is relax, enjoy, have fun! I've specifically been told not to study or work if at all possible. I'll work until early August and hopefully take some mini-vacations along the way.
 
I'm having an inner-battle with myself right now about working over the summer. Part of me says I neeeeeeed to work to get money that I will be using up so fast in vet school - another part of me says, "Hey, you worked all through undergrad - relax for a bit!" Mrehh!
 
All I've heard is relax, enjoy, have fun! I've specifically been told not to study or work if at all possible. I'll work until early August and hopefully take some mini-vacations along the way.

The mini-vacations sound awesome! If you don't mind me asking, are you currently working at a veterinary-related job?

I'm having an inner-battle with myself right now about working over the summer. Part of me says I neeeeeeed to work to get money that I will be using up so fast in vet school - another part of me says, "Hey, you worked all through undergrad - relax for a bit!" Mrehh!

Preach. The dilemma is all too real. I'm afraid of being exhausted by the time I get there if I work too much. I really want to come in supercharged and ready to go, but tuition won't pay itself haha!
 
The mini-vacations sound awesome! If you don't mind me asking, are you currently working at a veterinary-related job?!
I currently work at a SA hospital. I usually like to take a big vacation each summer. In the past 4 years I've gone to Costa Rica, Panama, Belize and Honduras. I can't afford that type if trip, but hopefully I can do a few smaller trips instead.
 
Do something you consider fun 🙂

That could be shadowing, working, going on vacation, relaxing, traveling, etc. But while I've been in vet school, I've tried to take advantage of unique opportunities, because you're time is limited! and once you graduate as a veterinarian, you will likely never have some of these opportunities again. so have fun!
 
I'm going to be keeping my full-time job at a specialty animal hospital to save up as much as possible. BUT (!) I plan to go to India, maybe for a week or so, for my friend's wedding!! So excited and I can't wait (but I could wait to pay for that plane ticket :dead: lol)

I also really want to do a small road trip to somewhere I haven't been before- primarily everywhere except New England and tristate area and Florida. Any suggestions? 🙂 (I'm from NYC!)
 
I currently work at a SA hospital. I usually like to take a big vacation each summer. In the past 4 years I've gone to Costa Rica, Panama, Belize and Honduras. I can't afford that type if trip, but hopefully I can do a few smaller trips instead.

I actually love smaller vacations spread out over the summer, because it gives you more breaks. It sounds like you've gotten to go to some really cool places!

I asked about where you worked because for this semester I was unable to find a veterinary-related job, so I was hoping to be reacquainted with some concepts before going back, but it may have to be in the form of shadowing, which I'm ok with.

Do something you consider fun 🙂

That could be shadowing, working, going on vacation, relaxing, traveling, etc. But while I've been in vet school, I've tried to take advantage of unique opportunities, because you're time is limited! and once you graduate as a veterinarian, you will likely never have some of these opportunities again. so have fun!

I like fun haha! Did you ever do any traveling with your vet school or its organizations?

I worked for 4 years between undergrad and vet school (and completed some pre-reqs while working). The summer before vet school I quit my job early (July 3rd) and spent the next 7 weeks backpacking through Europe.

Best. Decision. Ever.

If that was in the cards, that would hands down win, but I think it's going to have to remain on the bucket list for now 🙁.

I'm going to be keeping my full-time job at a specialty animal hospital to save up as much as possible. BUT (!) I plan to go to India, maybe for a week or so, for my friend's wedding!! So excited and I can't wait (but I could wait to pay for that plane ticket :dead: lol)

I also really want to do a small road trip to somewhere I haven't been before- primarily everywhere except New England and tristate area and Florida. Any suggestions? 🙂 (I'm from NYC!)

Road trips are an awesome idea! If you were flying somewhere and driving from there you could fly to Tennessee and do there, the carolinas and Kentucky. That area is gorgeous!

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions everyone, I just want to find the right balance between work and relaxation before August hits. You all are awesome!

I'm also thinking a thread gets started with stories from all these pre-vet school adventures.
 
I worked for 4 years between undergrad and vet school (and completed some pre-reqs while working). The summer before vet school I quit my job early (July 3rd) and spent the next 7 weeks backpacking through Europe.

Best. Decision. Ever.

That sounds so amazing! I wish I had set aside money for something like that.

I am also debating working to save money vs. only doing fun things. I think I'm going to try to find fun jobs (pet sitting/pony sitting, exercising horses - very wishful thinking) and spend lots of time riding. I also really want to go on camping trips/mini vacations and work on my long list reading list (all fun stuff)!
 
I kind of want to quit my job in June....but as of now, the doctor keeps telling me she'll let me come back during school breaks to make money. I don't wanna burn that bridge if I could potentially cut down my loans by even a small amount.

I'm hoping to do a cruise or all-inclusive trip with my boyfriend, but who knows if we can work out getting time off.
 
1. Continue to work, but reduce to part-time
2. Spend time with my hubby, road trip and hiking
3. Spend time with my parents oversea
4. Try to shadow some acupuncture/rehab clinic in next few months
5. I might try one of the RAVs, mostly going in as a technician to help out. But I think it will be good to build the link first before becoming the vet student.

Uhh.... I found the list is getting long....

Eventually
1. 10-day road trip (DC, NC/SC, TN, smoky mountain) with hubby at end of April.
2. Work part time (2 days a week now + a day here and there) at SA hospital.
3. My parents are coming to visit all the kids. But I might need to go oversea to see other relatives.
4. July to India for 2 weeks to help my hubby's parents moving.
5. Not going to do any additional vet field related stuffs - relax relax.... I need to reset for fresh start...
 
So I'm going to bump this thread up to get some ideas. I've heard pretty mixed opinions of what to do right before first year. I've heard binge watch Netflix and I've heard shadow shadow shadow or work work work to keep your skills/knowledge base (even though it's small) fresh. For those of you that are currently in vet school or are DVMs, what do you recommend or do you wish you had done something differently right before your first year?

I worked because I get bored sitting around doing nothing for too long and it was nice to keep up on my tech skillz. I also had to downsize all of my stuff and get ready to move to another country (including paperwork and stuff) which was stressful but necessary. I think doing what you think is best for you is, well, best. I would go crazy with no job or no plans for a whole summer while some people love it. To each their own, just make it count 🙂
 
I worked. Not as a tech, just a summer job that I had. It was a good summer job, working on a municipal government environmental project, so it let me cover rent and moving expenses. But I was finished at 4:30 everyday, so working and binge-watching Netflix weren't incompatible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm definitely going to be keeping my part-time job at the SA hospital because I love our vets and will need their support/advice as I get nervous for school! I also have three weddings in three states to attend within a week of each other... One near home in IL, one the next day in MN, and one six days later in northern WI. Hope I can swing getting those days off!
 
Semi official summer plans:
1. Part time job at a grocery store
2. Zoo volunteering
3. Get my license and a car
4. Trip to the Keys
5. Gaming, reading, Netflix-watching
6. Possibly run a Hannibal WW game
7. Lots of writing

HANNIBAL WW? I need this. I neeeeeed this.
 
Woooo! I have my Biochem II final in about 2 hours then I'm free [from school] until August! 😀
Thanks, quarter school!
 
I'm about to start taking my nutrition course since I was putting it off in case I didn't get into MSU. Aside from that, I've been sleeping like I'm getting paid to do it and playing Skyrim whenever I'm awake. I'm going to get a part time job to save up money for the move later in the fall, but I'm specifically looking for jobs where I have to use my brain as little as possible.

Oh and hunting down a primary health care provider that does the rabies vaccines and is covered by my insurance is a full time job so far. >.>
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck. Very rare to get that covered by insurance unfortunately.
It's funny. I thought my insurance company would give me crap and make me send in paperwork and blah blah blah. After searching for clinics myself for about 4 hours and no luck, I just called them now and they told me to go to the ER and tell them I got bit and they'll cover those shots. O.O
 
It's funny. I thought my insurance company would give me crap and make me send in paperwork and blah blah blah. After searching for clinics myself for about 4 hours and no luck, I just called them now and they told me to go to the ER and tell them I got bit and they'll cover those shots. O.O

The pre-exposure vaccines are different from the post-exposure ones, so I'd probs not do that...:nailbiting:

Plus they're gong to want you to file a report and identify the animal that bit you (even if it was something feral that ran off)...

I'm sure the insurance person you spoke to probably didn't realize it, but he/she may need some training in ethics :pompous: