Accepted students: what are your summer plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I went to the ER a week after getting bitten by a feral cat, they were initially much more concerned with the condition of my wound than starting the post-exposure rabies series. Luckily I either heal really well, have excellent wound care or a combination of both, and my bites were healing very well and didn't require treatment. This was probably 8 years ago, and I was told it should be satisfactory for vet school. I did just have blood drawn to check my titers though, just in case. (Which the lab was supposed to mail me the results, and they forgot... again. Grrr!)
 
When I went to the ER a week after getting bitten by a feral cat, they were initially much more concerned with the condition of my wound than starting the post-exposure rabies series.

Further demonstrating human medicine's almost total ineptitude for people involved with animals. There are very specially trained doctors for Herpes B potential exposures in NHP workers and they always tell me, "Call these particular people. Don't just go to the ER and expect them to know wtf you're talking about."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone's summer plans include being in Urbana, IL, I'm subleasing my furnished apartment for the summer. PM me if you are interested or know someone who might be. Thanks.
 
The pre-exposure vaccines are different from the post-exposure ones, so I'd probs not do that...:nailbiting:

Since when? Unless it's changed recently, they are exactly the same. The difference is the addition of the HRIG (Ig) for people who are exposed without previous vaccination. But the remainder of the treatment is identical.

Not saying it's ethical to go claim to get bit. And the HRIG is very expensive for providers, so it's a pretty significant fraud to lie and claim you were exposed.

But I believe you're incorrect about the vaccines being different. Last I checked, anyway.
 
Since when? Unless it's changed recently, they are exactly the same. The difference is the addition of the HRIG (Ig) for people who are exposed without previous vaccination. But the remainder of the treatment is identical.

Not saying it's ethical to go claim to get bit. And the HRIG is very expensive for providers, so it's a pretty significant fraud to lie and claim you were exposed.

But I believe you're incorrect about the vaccines being different. Last I checked, anyway.

I got the info from the vet who teaches my current animal disease and public health class, but maybe I misinterpreted his lecture. In any case he told that when I called about scheduling the series to specifically indicate "pre-exposure." That might've been just for protocol reasons though. GP wouldn't do it anyway so I'm going with A&M's health center to gitterdunnn.

Lol Texas.
 
I got the info from the vet who teaches my current animal disease and public health class, but maybe I misinterpreted his lecture. In any case he told that when I called about scheduling the series to specifically indicate "pre-exposure." That might've been just for protocol reasons though. GP wouldn't do it anyway so I'm going with A&M's health center to gitterdunnn.

Lol Texas.

Yeah... or it might have been to make sure you didn't get the HRIG. It's important that you don't get that unless you're actually exposed.

But the repeated 'vaccine' portion of the tx is the same pre- or post-exposure.

(As a random aside ... the HRIG is in theory supposed to go at the site of exposure, which can make it a pretty painful thing if it's a finger or something. It's a lot of liquid. I don't know what they do for exposures where the actual site isn't certain, like a 'bat in the bedroom at night' kinda thing.)
 
Decided to splurge on a short trip with my sister somewhere in Europe, and hopefully see :headphone:Metallica:headphone: while we're there!!!!!!! Forget the beach man, I owe this to myself!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
Have a good summer everybody!!!!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to the beach, Vegas, and working a summer camp to make some money! But I think I'm more excited for vet school than my summer [emoji15]
 
(As a random aside ... the HRIG is in theory supposed to go at the site of exposure, which can make it a pretty painful thing if it's a finger or something. It's a lot of liquid. I don't know what they do for exposures where the actual site isn't certain, like a 'bat in the bedroom at night' kinda thing.)
Really? I got bitten on my right hand and they definitely didn't inject me there (thank goodness). I think the HRIG is based on weight, and thankfully I was only about 110# at the time. I got 5 IM injections, and the one in the front of my thigh was by far the worst.
 
Further demonstrating human medicine's almost total ineptitude for people involved with animals. There are very specially trained doctors for Herpes B potential exposures in NHP workers and they always tell me, "Call these particular people. Don't just go to the ER and expect them to know wtf you're talking about."

Oh my god Herpes B. I work in a macaque lab and got scratched by one of their toys in december and it was handled so poorly by the people vets that I've lost faith in human medicine =p
 
Oh my god Herpes B. I work in a macaque lab and got scratched by one of their toys in december and it was handled so poorly by the people vets that I've lost faith in human medicine =p

When I had ringworm and went to the doctor for some meds, I gave them the story and she kind of looked at me for a while and then said, "....calf?" with a bewildered expression on her face. She recovered enough to ask how we dehorn, though, so points for that? But it's hard to respect someone who doesn't know what a calf is...
 
oh also, my best friend and I are travelling the world. I'm going to Israel for 10 days and then I'm meeting her in Paris and then we're gonna fly to Singapore and China. Words cannot express the excite
 
I recommend you all sign up for flying lessons in NJ.
Just a suggestion.
Is there an SDN discount?

oh also, my best friend and I are travelling the world. I'm going to Israel for 10 days and then I'm meeting her in Paris and then we're gonna fly to Singapore and China. Words cannot express the excite
I hate you. Not really, but I am insanely envious!
 
Really? I got bitten on my right hand and they definitely didn't inject me there (thank goodness). I think the HRIG is based on weight, and thankfully I was only about 110# at the time. I got 5 IM injections, and the one in the front of my thigh was by far the worst.

Yup. It's ideally supposed to go as close to the exposure site as possible. In reality, some sites are harder to administer it than others, and some doctors/nurses aren't terribly strict about the protocol. Which is likely just fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning on sleeping as much as I can and being a barn junkie! I've also got a trip to the Dominican Republic planned with the boyfriend for June and then he's coming to visit me on the west coast sometime over the summer 🙂.
 
I'm planning on sleeping as much as I can and being a barn junkie! I've also got a trip to the Dominican Republic planned with the boyfriend for June and then he's coming to visit me on the west coast sometime over the summer 🙂.
Y'all gonna visit me on your way down there? 😉
 
4. GO TO JAPAN WITH MY BOYFRIEND ON HIS WORK TRIP!!!?!?!??!?!?
SO JEALOUS!

I am working, going to weddings, and quitting my job early enough so that I can bum around the northwest for a while before school starts. I really want to go see the Redwoods 😍
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
My summer plans:

1) get a job.
2) lynch @StartingoverVet
3) start hopefully making a living again
4) lynch @StartingoverVet
5) find some volunteer opportunities
Let-me-never-fall-into-the.jpg
 
Okay, so I've been getting my summer organized!

1. 4 day cruise in May with my boyfriend!
2. Cedar Point with my boyfriend and family
3. Squeeze in a Chicago weekend?
4. GO TO JAPAN WITH MY BOYFRIEND ON HIS WORK TRIP!!!?!?!??!?!?

Where in Japan are you going? My sister lives in Kobe. Been there and Tokyo several times. It is amazing, and so easy to get around. Let me know if you need travel tips! You will love it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where in Japan are you going? My sister lives in Kobe. Been there and Tokyo several times. It is amazing, and so easy to get around. Let me know if you need travel tips! You will love it.
Actually....any suggestions on how to fly there for the best price? Flight cost is really freaking me out! I believe we'd be flying into Narita.

I'm hoping it works out that he is sent over. Last year, they send someone else last minute. We both want to go!
 
Okay, so I've been getting my summer organized!

1. 4 day cruise in May with my boyfriend!
2. Cedar Point with my boyfriend and family
3. Squeeze in a Chicago weekend?
4. GO TO JAPAN WITH MY BOYFRIEND ON HIS WORK TRIP!!!?!?!??!?!?
I too am going on a 4 day cruise in May with my SO... if we're on the same ship that would be super weird.
And I'm going to be in Chicago for a good chunk of the summer for my internship/externship/fellowship/whatever. Are you... are you stalking me?