This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so, I just finished my freshman year. Last semester I got one B+ in a stupid art class, some A-s and then two As. This semester I'll most likely get straight As and so my GPA is good. I volunteer at a soup kitchen, I'm volunteering at a research institute, I shadow a cardiologist and I have taken part in a few clubs. I got a presidential position in two clubs (for next year) and hopefully I can keep them. I'm also taking some summer courses. What other advice you do you guys have? Am I on the right track? I also work a job occasionally. Nothing too special. I was wondering what else I can do to increase my chances? I just finished freshman year in college. I also do lifeguarding at beaches and community pools sometimes haha. Should I start studying for the MCAT now? I was gonna do a minor in music and maybe try to graduate a year earlier? I'm class of 2020 btw, and I was gonna make it class of 2019? What do all of you think? Thank you so much for your input. Is there anything you guys wish you would have done freshman year? Thank you so much! PS: I also presented at a symposium. I didnt win but still presented and I'm doing Honors in some courses. Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so, I just finished my freshman year. Last semester I got one B+ in a stupid art class, some A-s and then two As. This semester I'll most likely get straight As and so my GPA is good. I volunteer at a soup kitchen, I'm volunteering at a research institute, I shadow a cardiologist and I have taken part in a few clubs. I got a presidential position in two clubs (for next year) and hopefully I can keep them. I'm also taking some summer courses. What other advice you do you guys have? Am I on the right track? I also work a job occasionally. Nothing too special. I was wondering what else I can do to increase my chances? I just finished freshman year in college. I also do lifeguarding at beaches and community pools sometimes haha. Should I start studying for the MCAT now? I was gonna do a minor in music and maybe try to graduate a year earlier? I'm class of 2020 btw, and I was gonna make it class of 2019? What do all of you think? Thank you so much for your input. Is there anything you guys wish you would have done freshman year? Thank you so much! PS: I also presented at a symposium. I didnt win but still presented and I'm doing Honors in some courses. Thank you again.
Start studying for the USMLE

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL yeah thats the one thing I couldn't do this year xD
I was like you too. Don't do so much and enjoy yourself. You will end up burning out, and it's hard to recover. Take your time; enjoy pre-med and life as it goes.

I was like you too. Don't do so much and enjoy yourself. You will end up burning out, and it's hard to recover. Take your time; enjoy pre-med and life as it goes.
Yeah. Bc I heard once med school starts... it becomes hell lol

Yeah. Bc I heard once med school starts... it becomes hell lol
What is suggest doing is, rack up clinical volunteering over summer. Shoot for over 200+, and do some non-clinical volunteering. I do mine with big brothers sisters and enjoy it. Do something you enojoy. Don't check boxes off because ADCOMs will see right through it.

Reactions: 1 user
Not true. You always have to check off boxes. You'll be checking boxes until the day you die. Heck, the last thing most of us do on God's green earth will be checking out what kind of box we get put into.

The trick is to check off boxes without making it seem like you are.

If you're at a good pace, I would keep it that way. As many have said before me on this forum, the premed path is a marathon, not a sprint.

I was gonna do a minor in music and maybe try to graduate a year earlier?

Always good to major or minor in a field of interest; it allows you to have some fun alongside your core and science courses, and looks interesting to adcoms. Plus, music is awesome.

Reactions: 1 user