Advice for a distraught pre-dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS4lifeeee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a pre-dental applicant who has applied for this last 2017 dental cycle. Applied through AADSAS and TMDSAS. Received three interviews at OU, UT-Houston, and UT-Memphis. I received a rejection letter from OU and wait listed status on the other two schools. Here are my stats...

This may I will have graduated with a B.S. in Kinesiology (Emphasis in Allied Pre-Health) from the University of North Texas.

Overall GPA: 3.62
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.71
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.71
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.54

Over 100 hours of shadowing variety of different dental specialties and Over 100 hours of volunteering/community service in a variety of different settings.

Plenty of great recommendation letters from my employers, dentists, and professors.

1st DAT attempt: AA(17)-TS(17)-OC(17)-GC(16)-B(16)-RC(18)QA(16)-PA(22)
2nd DAT attempt: AA(18)-TS(17)-OC(16)-GC(17)-B(18)-RC(20)-QA(18)-PA(21)

The biggest worry for me, obviously, are my DAT scores. The first time I took the DAT I studied for 2 months and felt prepared but obviously it was a train wreck. The second time I took the DAT about 6 months later I studied much harder and felt I could never have been more prepared in my life and still ended up with disappointing scores.

I have reached out to many schools for advice on how to improve my application and all of them say the same things, volunteer more, shadow more, take more science classes or even maybe take a one year masters program in a science field, and retake the DAT. I was actually very pleased to get three interviews with my latest DAT score but I know if I improved my DAT by a point or two it would make a huge difference in my application. The problem is I feel that I put 100% into my last DAT attempt and if I try to retake, the score will end up being the same or possibly lower.

Study tools I used were DAT BC, QVault, Chads Videos, Feralis Bio Notes, AP Bio Notes, previous 2007 and 2009 DAT exams, and some use of the Destroyer.

My parents have been blessed to be very successful so I don't think the debt acquired from going to an expensive private school is a problem at all for me.

I applied to Howard, Temple Univ, Midwestern AZ, Roseman, Case Western, Univ of Alabama at Birmingham, Univ of Colorado, Univ of FL, Creighton, Univ of OU, Meharry, LSU, Georgia at Augusta, Arizona school of dentistry, Univ of TN Health Science center, and all three TX schools. I am thinking of applying to all of the dentistry private schools next cycle and the same schools in addition to all the schools I received interviews from this last cycle.

Do I just need to suck it up and try to take the DAT again? At this point in time I am living on my own and independent from my parents financially. It's important to me that after I graduate I work and support myself therefor I don't think I will consider taking a masters program or more science classes. I appreciate all advice, criticism and honesty. I am very passionate about dentistry but I also want to be realistic with my application. Thanks everyone for taking the time!

Members don't see this ad.

I would absolutely retake the DAT, as it seems to be the biggest thing holding you back currently. I don't think more courses or a masters is necessary since your GPA is fine.

What kind of study schedule did you follow when preparing for the DAT (both times)?

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with you, I know the DAT is the main problem. My study schedule was 6 days a week basically studying 8 hours a day for two months the first time and same schedule the second time but for 2.5 months

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah definitely going to have to retake that DAT, the rest of your app seems fine and the fact that you got interviews is good.

Obviously you have to think about what is causing your problems. You spent a lot of time studying fro the DAT and it didn't produce results, so perhaps examine your study habits and see how you can improve them.

Yeah definitely going to have to retake that DAT, the rest of your app seems fine and the fact that you got interviews is good.

Obviously you have to think about what is causing your problems. You spent a lot of time studying fro the DAT and it didn't produce results, so perhaps examine your study habits and see how you can improve them.

I think your right. I can't escape the low scores that I have now. I just need to buckle down and make better study habits.... would you mind sharing your scores, study tools, and how you studied for your DAT?

Did you take practice tests for the DAT? I thought bootcamp gave pretty realistic scores

Did you take practice tests for the DAT? I thought bootcamp gave pretty realistic scores

BC is good, I averaged a 20-21 on my practice exams. I felt like the DAT was pretty similar in difficulty actually so not sure what happened. Maybe I had some test anxiety and made careless mistakes

BC is good, I averaged a 20-21 on my practice exams. I felt like the DAT was pretty similar in difficulty actually so not sure what happened. Maybe I had some test anxiety and made careless mistakes

Don't sweat it too much, some people are just not naturally good test takers. Just make sure to do as many full-length practice tests as possible to help get you in the right shape of mind for the real one, and you'll be fine since I'm positive the actual material isn't what you have a problem with. Everything else in your application is excellent

You gotta destroy that DAT dude!

If you need to apply again and you REALLY don't think you can do any better on the DAT, hop on some volunteering. 100 hours is not that much. NOT just any volunteering though. It needs to be "specific to your story" and special. Don't just go volunteer at a food bank (it's great but boring, everyone does it) or something super generic. Do something edgy or something that will stand out. I'll give you an example. Personally, since I had a minor in Spanish, I volunteered at multiple clinics as a translator and started a kids after school program for bilingual kids (it wasn't like crazy big, but I made a program, organized it, talked to the kids, and it didn't take a crazy amount of effort/time). It fit my story of wanting to help underserved communities and my ability to speak another language and it was something different that stood out. It might take some research/work on your end, but see if you can sit down with your app and figure out how to fit some sort of volunteering like that which makes you stand out.

Also I know it sounds counterintuitive but maybe you studied too long for the DAT? I found my sweet spot when I knew I was ready and actually delayed it from 4 weeks to 6 weeks. I knew the morning I was taking it that I was at my peak. 2 months is a long time. It's very possible you burned out/forgot some stuff that you learned earlier on. Also "some of the Destroyer" is not good enough. Go through that puppy at least twice in its entirety. Do all the Chad Video quizzes. Get signed up for Bootcamp and use the **** out of it!

Good luck!

You gotta destroy that DAT dude!

If you need to apply again and you REALLY don't think you can do any better on the DAT, hop on some volunteering. 100 hours is not that much. NOT just any volunteering though. It needs to be "specific to your story" and special. Don't just go volunteer at a food bank (it's great but boring, everyone does it) or something super generic. Do something edgy or something that will stand out. I'll give you an example. Personally, since I had a minor in Spanish, I volunteered at multiple clinics as a translator and started a kids after school program for bilingual kids (it wasn't like crazy big, but I made a program, organized it, talked to the kids, and it didn't take a crazy amount of effort/time). It fit my story of wanting to help underserved communities and my ability to speak another language and it was something different that stood out. It might take some research/work on your end, but see if you can sit down with your app and figure out how to fit some sort of volunteering like that which makes you stand out.

Also I know it sounds counterintuitive but maybe you studied too long for the DAT? I found my sweet spot when I knew I was ready and actually delayed it from 4 weeks to 6 weeks. I knew the morning I was taking it that I was at my peak. 2 months is a long time. It's very possible you burned out/forgot some stuff that you learned earlier on. Also "some of the Destroyer" is not good enough. Go through that puppy at least twice in its entirety. Do all the Chad Video quizzes. Get signed up for Bootcamp and use the **** out of it!

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice, I feel like your right about the burnout. I appreciate your thoughts about the community service as well!

Don't sweat it too much, some people are just not naturally good test takers. Just make sure to do as many full-length practice tests as possible to help get you in the right shape of mind for the real one, and you'll be fine since I'm positive the actual material isn't what you have a problem with. Everything else in your application is excellent

Your absolutely right, I think I didn't do enough practice problems and focused more conceptually last time

I think your right. I can't escape the low scores that I have now. I just need to buckle down and make better study habits.... would you mind sharing your scores, study tools, and how you studied for your DAT?

I studied for about a week during my winter break, then started a very difficult semester and studied for a month before taking my DAT, which i took in May during my dead week. I only add that so you know i was definitely not in the perfect study environment. I got a 21AA 21TS 21BIO 20Chem 20 OCHEM 21RC 21QR 24PAT.

I used Bootcamp, ferralis notes, Tyjacobs, Chads videos, and the Destroyer.

I had only taken one biology class, so the vast majority of my studying was for Biology, I had finished my Gen chem but was currently taking OChem 2, but i felt comfortable with them so i kept my studying to a minimum.

I read through ferallis and Tyjacobs and took notes where helpful, I then went through all of the Destroyer bio questions in less than a week, and reviewed all of the ones i missed or felt unsure about, I then went through them again. Make note cards of your misses.

i did 100 questions of both Ochem and Genchem in Destroyer, the destroyer is a good resource to score very high, but if you simply want a decent score it is a bit misleading in my opinion. The questions aren't completely reflective of the average question you will see on the exam.

I studied QR literally for one day. My practice exam the day before was a 16, i got a 21. Easiest one to improve.

Take all of the practice tests you can, multiple times, but take them intelligently. When you study, make sure you are studying the TYPES of questions asked, that way you can learn what to expect and narrow down your studying. A lot of people study too broadly, so you learn everything moderately, as opposed to the important things really well.

Sorry I'm trying to type this in between students at work, and there are definitely other people who can give you better advice on the DAT, but you asked me so theres my response.

Please don't study too hard, learn strategies and tricks, it makes everything much easier.

Your RC, QR, and PAT scores are great! You just need to raise your TS score to be in top shape.

This is what I did for each science section when I studied:
GC: I pretty much built a solid foundation of the basics from watching Chad's videos, went through his quizzes twice including closer to my test date for review, and countless practice from destroyer. I made a review sheet of important formulas, theories, etc.
OC: Same with GC except I made a review sheet of important reagents and reactions.
BIO: NONSTOP review, I read thru Cliff notes and Ferali's notes three times, and did destroyer problems.
An important note for the chemistries is practice, practice, and practice! especially with destroyer and even Chad's quizzes at the end of his videos.

Then I also mimicked real testing conditions when doing practice exams to get a feel for test day.
This is what I did, and hopefully it can help give you an idea of how to study for these sections.
Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to retake for that Ochem score... I would look at 8man's compilation thread of DAT advice if you haven't already: DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!)

I don't think that a post-mac or master's is necessary. Don't worry about that, It is that 16 that is dragging you down. I know you are scared that your score is going to go down, but at this point it is a necessity. Buy the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language books. It will boost up your knowledge quickly. THEN go into the DAT specific review material, I think this will improve your learning a lot. Also don't forget Orgo is like math, the more problems you do the better. Do not just read for concepts. Read the concept and try it out with practice problems... When you know how to do the problems even in your sleep even test anxiety won't get to you.

I know you think you gave it your all, but I don't think you did. I know many people who avoid situations when it gets hard. Maybe you stopped focusing on Orgo and instead spent more time on Bio, RC, and math during your DAT studying since those scores were pretty good? I think you can do it. I know you can achieve it if you try hard enough. Your GPA is your track record which proves it. Try, and you can.

Also, don't forget to continue doing some EC while studying for the DAT!

I think you'll do well. 3rd times the charm, right?

Thank you everyone for the tips and encouragement. It goes a long ways for me, I respect all of you on here so much for what you've accomplished so far. I'm gonna have to slay this next DAT and just remember why I want to be a dentist as I do it!

The good news is everything else looks great except for your DAT score, which is the least expensive thing to fix on your app. The fact that you got 3 interviews means everything else looks great. Definitely no need for a masters.

Sounds like test anxiety. Simulate test day to perfection. When I was studying, I personally would pick a practice test and set the time limit, pack a lunch, and take the scheduled breaks without ever using my phone or talking. I simulated test day down to the minute even starting in the morning at the exact time they start on real test day. I did this a few times before my DAT.

Hey everyone, I'm a pre-dental applicant who has applied for this last 2017 dental cycle. Applied through AADSAS and TMDSAS. Received three interviews at OU, UT-Houston, and UT-Memphis. I received a rejection letter from OU and wait listed status on the other two schools. Here are my stats...

This may I will have graduated with a B.S. in Kinesiology (Emphasis in Allied Pre-Health) from the University of North Texas.

Overall GPA: 3.62
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.71
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.71
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.54

Over 100 hours of shadowing variety of different dental specialties and Over 100 hours of volunteering/community service in a variety of different settings.

Plenty of great recommendation letters from my employers, dentists, and professors.

1st DAT attempt: AA(17)-TS(17)-OC(17)-GC(16)-B(16)-RC(18)QA(16)-PA(22)
2nd DAT attempt: AA(18)-TS(17)-OC(16)-GC(17)-B(18)-RC(20)-QA(18)-PA(21)

The biggest worry for me, obviously, are my DAT scores. The first time I took the DAT I studied for 2 months and felt prepared but obviously it was a train wreck. The second time I took the DAT about 6 months later I studied much harder and felt I could never have been more prepared in my life and still ended up with disappointing scores.

I have reached out to many schools for advice on how to improve my application and all of them say the same things, volunteer more, shadow more, take more science classes or even maybe take a one year masters program in a science field, and retake the DAT. I was actually very pleased to get three interviews with my latest DAT score but I know if I improved my DAT by a point or two it would make a huge difference in my application. The problem is I feel that I put 100% into my last DAT attempt and if I try to retake, the score will end up being the same or possibly lower.

Study tools I used were DAT BC, QVault, Chads Videos, Feralis Bio Notes, AP Bio Notes, previous 2007 and 2009 DAT exams, and some use of the Destroyer.

My parents have been blessed to be very successful so I don't think the debt acquired from going to an expensive private school is a problem at all for me.

I applied to Howard, Temple Univ, Midwestern AZ, Roseman, Case Western, Univ of Alabama at Birmingham, Univ of Colorado, Univ of FL, Creighton, Univ of OU, Meharry, LSU, Georgia at Augusta, Arizona school of dentistry, Univ of TN Health Science center, and all three TX schools. I am thinking of applying to all of the dentistry private schools next cycle and the same schools in addition to all the schools I received interviews from this last cycle.

Do I just need to suck it up and try to take the DAT again? At this point in time I am living on my own and independent from my parents financially. It's important to me that after I graduate I work and support myself therefor I don't think I will consider taking a masters program or more science classes. I appreciate all advice, criticism and honesty. I am very passionate about dentistry but I also want to be realistic with my application. Thanks everyone for taking the time!
This is really really really crucial.....You must do all of DAT Destroyer and you must do it more than once....This will tell you which areas you need improvement on...You do this and You will get 20+ on your sciences.

Oh btw I also went to UNT and would sit on the fifth floor of the GAB and do these practice exams because no one is every there. Or the basement of the library.

SOME of the Destroyer? There's your problem...

Dedicate months of your life to do well on the Dat, hopefully, you'll do great this time.
Needless to say, you need to focus on your weakness.

If you have the money, try to get a tutor or at least a study buddy to help you with ochem and gchem

Best of luck!

You might also consider practicing your interview skills. It does seem like only your DAT score is bringing you down, but you do have to give it some thought: You weren't turned down before the interview, you were afterwards, to those three schools at least. Meaning they were interested in you on paper even with the DAT score.

But I do see that as miniscule compared to you improving your DAT score, definitely at least for the Texas schools and the more competitive OS schools like Augusta that you're planning to apply to. I heard from another student who talked to Dr. Miller from A&M that they weren't going to even look at an application with any scores lower than 19 (or was it 18?)--just putting that out there for perceptive.

As of right now, your low DAT relative to GPA validates to admission committees that (1) your GPA wasn't very reflective of a rigorous competency curriculum or program to suggest succeed in dental school or (2) you were too lazy in your study habits preparing for the DAT. In either case, you lose. Fix your DAT.