Advice for Transfering to Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh_M

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Question:
Would it be feasible to get into med school/is it worth leaving a guaranteed PharmD?

Background:
I am currently a sophomore at a private university in Ohio majoring in Pharmacy in a 0-6 program. I currently have a 3.31 cGPA and something around a 3.4sGPA. During my time on campus I have completed around 25 service hours and 25 shadowing hours with different healthcare professionals. I have held leadership positions in 6 different pharmacy organizations (currently hold 3) and am a member of 4 others. I am currently conducting research under one of my pharmacy professors and can and will continue if/when I switch majors. I have experience working as a pharmacy technician that I am not sure is applicable to the admission requirements for patient interaction. I am currently enrolled in the my university's honors program and have become a part of Alpha Lambda Delta, Phi Eta Sigma, and Alpha Epsilon Delta.

Reasoning:
In going through pharmacy school I have become unmotivated as I have learned more about the profession and the direction it is heading. In the different leadership roles I have held I have realized a desire to be able to take charge of my patient's care as opposed to providing supplemental services as a pharmacist would deliver. I am currently contemplating going through the process of switching out of my 0-6 program into biology so that I can try and pursue a career in medicine. I understand that currently my GPA is unacceptable and am fully prepared to do the work necessary to improve it (though after some calculations my max GPA at the end of Junior Year would be a 3.65 due to my taking 21 credit hours per semester so far during my time at university).

Follow up questions:
What ECs should I pursue to better my application?
I have bought the Kaplan 7 book review, would you recommend any further exam resources?

Thank you very much for your time in reading this and replying! Any advice beyond just what I have asked for here would be greatly appreciated, feel free to be as brutally honest as possible, I can take it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Physician shadowing
Patient volunteering
Non-clinical service to others, especially those less fortunate than yourself.

Get this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

Hello!

Follow up questions:
What ECs should I pursue to better my application?