This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureoncdoc06

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So this is my first post and I could really use the help. I just graduated in May with my BS in Public Health and am planning to go back to med school eventually, taking as much time as I need. I struggled a little in my first few years of undergrad and didn't do well in the few science courses I took while I was deciding on a major. I struggled for a while with chronic illness that wasn't diagnosed until the beginning of my junior year, and since diagnosis I have completely changed my grades around. I got Dean's List my last two years of undergrad and salvaged my cumulative gpa to be around a 3.2. However I got a D+ in my second bio course and a C in the lab my freshman year. I took Human Bio (which was the intro bio class for being an exercise physiology major, so it may count as my general bio credit). I got a C in College Algebra (after failing once) my sophomore year. I also got a C- in chemistry, and was going to retake it but decided to switch my major to public health and no longer needed to. My thinking is that I am going to retake Chemistry and then continue on to take Organic Chem and Physics. My question is, do I need to retake math, and also retake the bios, or would I be fine just taking higher level biology courses to show that I am competent for medical school? My plan is to take about 2-3 years of gpa salvaging for medical school, and I also have a significant upward trend which I feel will help me out. Any help/advice you all could give me I would greatly appreciate!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just found out that a C is the minimum grade required for the pre-reqs (see the last page of the official AMCAS application thread). They can *accept* you with lower grades (say, with a D, like I got in Linear Algebra - joy), but if you don't get a C or above, you cannot matriculate. So perhaps retaking will be necessary for at least a few classes. I think I can scoot by with the D since I have three additional semesters of college level math, all with grades above the minimum. In your case, I would say you definitely have to retake anything where you have a C- or below IF the class is a required or recommended pre-req. I'd add that you probably need to take General Biology 1 & 2 unless you have Advanced Placement credit and can jump to an advanced bio class. I don't think you need to retake the bio class you did not do well in - instead, just take the bio classes that most med schools would prefer - someone correct me if they think differently. I'm thinking the classes that you absolutely must have a C or better in would be Bio 1 & 2, Gen Chem 1 & 2, Orgo 1 (and possibly 2 - I recommend taking it since many med schools still require it), Physics 1 & 2, Math (take a stats class), maybe Biochem. If the class is a sequence class, you might consider taking the sequence again - especially if it seems like you didn't understand the first part well enough. Those are my thoughts for now. I'm still doing GPA repair as well, so I understand where you're coming from!

I just found out that a C is the minimum grade required for the pre-reqs (see the last page of the official AMCAS application thread). They can *accept* you with lower grades (say, with a D, like I got in Linear Algebra - joy), but if you don't get a C or above, you cannot matriculate. So perhaps retaking will be necessary for at least a few classes. I think I can scoot by with the D since I have three additional semesters of college level math, all with grades above the minimum. In your case, I would say you definitely have to retake anything where you have a C- or below IF the class is a required or recommended pre-req. I'd add that you probably need to take General Biology 1 & 2 unless you have Advanced Placement credit and can jump to an advanced bio class. I don't think you need to retake the bio class you did not do well in - instead, just take the bio classes that most med schools would prefer - someone correct me if they think differently. I'm thinking the classes that you absolutely must have a C or better in would be Bio 1 & 2, Gen Chem 1 & 2, Orgo 1 (and possibly 2 - I recommend taking it since many med schools still require it), Physics 1 & 2, Math (take a stats class), maybe Biochem. If the class is a sequence class, you might consider taking the sequence again - especially if it seems like you didn't understand the first part well enough. Those are my thoughts for now. I'm still doing GPA repair as well, so I understand where you're coming from!
Yeah I got a B- in Statistics but I also did it in a 6 week summer session so it was really difficult, not that statistics isn't already. I'm not the best at Math. I'm definitely retaking chemistry and then taking chem II, org I & II, physics I & II, and possibly anatomy and phys I & II? I think I read that they're including some of that information on the MCAT. How long have you been doing gpa repair and where do you want to go to school/what do you want to do?

You might want to check AMCAS or see what others say, but I thought the minimum grade to pass a class was a C- or C. That might be a University thing but I've heard something about that.
thank you for your help! i'll double check with them