Advice on dating a nurse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatawkguy

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there's a cute nurse on my floor that I'm interested in, and I think she might be into me based on how much she's been looking at me. I'm unsure how to get something going. I've had a nurse my age just talk to me casually before, but I never seized that opportunity, and I feel really dumb now. I'm not dating my classmates because they're mean and I had a bad experience. I figure even if she rejects me, I only have another week on this floor. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So there's a cute nurse on my floor that I'm interested in, and I think she might be into me based on how much she's been looking at me. I'm unsure how to get something going. I've had a nurse my age just talk to me casually before, but I never seized that opportunity, and I feel really dumb now. I'm not dating my classmates because they're mean and I had a bad experience. I figure even if she rejects me, I only have another week on this floor. Any ideas?
“Hello, (name). I think you seem great and I would like to know if you would like to go on a date sometime “

Reactions: 28 users
Don't poop where ya eat mane! Don't do it!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Hello, (name). I think you seem great and I would like to know if you would like to go on a date sometime “
rocket science

Reactions: 14 users
You mean Is there a way to ask her out without putting yourself out there and risking embarrassment?

No there's not. Walk up to her and ask her out.

Reactions: 17 users
Tell her casually "I need help with my diagnosis. My heart beats fast when I see you, but it subsides when you're not around. Can you tell me what I have".

Reactions: 45 users

Dear Abby by Abigail Van Buren
OR

Contact Dear Abby at
P.O. Box 69440
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Reactions: 20 users
It's always easier if it can be downplayed as a not-date if she isn't all that into you. Talk to her and establish some sort of connection that you guys have that can be parlayed into an excursion. Fake it if you have to.

If nothing else, on a Friday AM just be like, "God this weeks' been ridiculous, I can't wait to get out of here". She'll probably agree, and then you should say something like, "I could totally use a beer after we get off, want to come with?". If she puts up ANY sort of resistance, bail immediately. ANYTHING short of an absolute, "Yeah that sounds fun what time?" should be viewed by you as a HUUUUUUUGEEEEEEE red flag. With whats going on in the media these days, you don't want to ruin your career because you tried too hard and some nurse took offense and reported you to HR or something.

Same thing goes if she ends up wanting to grab that beer. Initiate initial non-sexual physical contact as much as you can with her and see how she responds. If she doesn't seem to mind then obviously thats a good sign. If she pulls away thats REALLY BAD sign.

Even if she's been responding positively to your advances you need to be super suave about going for the kiss at the end of the night. After you walk her home there's going to be pause, there always is, and then you should smile and say something like, "I want to kiss you right now but I always heard it was dangerous to start anything with the people you work with". If she says ANYTHING other than a very positive reaction JUST LEAVE.

It's much easier to chalk it up to a misunderstanding about intention and you both move on than it is to explain to your attending on Monday what happened if you end up going for it balls to the wall and she again think its like Al Franken when you're "attempting to aggressively kiss her" or whatever the hell.

Protect your sack bruh its hard out there for a pimp.

Reactions: 17 users
It's always easier if it can be downplayed as a not-date if she isn't all that into you. Talk to her and establish some sort of connection that you guys have that can be parlayed into an excursion. Fake it if you have to.

If nothing else, on a Friday AM just be like, "God this weeks' been ridiculous, I can't wait to get out of here". She'll probably agree, and then you should say something like, "I could totally use a beer after we get off, want to come with?". If she puts up ANY sort of resistance, bail immediately. ANYTHING short of an absolute, "Yeah that sounds fun what time?" should be viewed by you as a HUUUUUUUGEEEEEEE red flag. With whats going on in the media these days, you don't want to ruin your career because you tried too hard and some nurse took offense and reported you to HR or something.

Same thing goes if she ends up wanting to grab that beer. Initiate initial non-sexual physical contact as much as you can with her and see how she responds. If she doesn't seem to mind then obviously thats a good sign. If she pulls away thats REALLY BAD sign.

Even if she's been responding positively to your advances you need to be super suave about going for the kiss at the end of the night. After you walk her home there's going to be pause, there always is, and then you should smile and say something like, "I want to kiss you right now but I always heard it was dangerous to start anything with the people you work with". If she says ANYTHING other than a very positive reaction JUST LEAVE.

It's much easier to chalk it up to a misunderstanding about intention and you both move on than it is to explain to your attending on Monday what happened if you end up going for it balls to the wall and she again think its like Al Franken when you're "attempting to aggressively kiss her" or whatever the hell.

Your plan ends w/ no kiss or phone number. Auto fail.

Reactions: 6 users
Don't poop where ya eat mane! Don't do it!

To be fair he probably won't poop or eat there very often considering the nature of rotations. I'm not sure which metaphor refers to which in this scenario though.

Reactions: 3 users

It’s amazing how much our generation likes to dance around playing patty cake instead of just being straightforward and honest.

No, be a man and just ask her out. This plan is a great way to put yourself in the friend zone from the get go.

Reactions: 14 users
ask her to get a drink. If she seems weary, then say you meant "something to drink" like a casual beverage like coffee. If a girl doesn't even want to get coffee with you, she definitely doesn't want anything romantic and/or sexual with you. If she says yes to the initial offer, then she DTF

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair he probably won't poop or eat there very often considering the nature of rotations. I'm not sure which metaphor refers to which in this scenario though.
Yeah I say poop

Ask her out. She either is not interested in you and says no or she says yes and you get a date. You never know unless you try.

Reactions: 1 users
talk about her. Ask her about her. Make it about her. If she is into you, she will talk at length because people love to talk about themselves when given the chance. If she thinks youre a douche, then she wont give you the time of day and youll have your answer

now put a nickle in my can for free advice

Reactions: 4 users
If you end up getting rejected you can bet every nurse on the floor will know about it. If it's anything like my hospital, word will reach every subsequent group of students as well. I'm with QueenJames on this one.

Your plan ends w/ no kiss or phone number. Auto fail.

Honestly I'd rather have neither than have a nurse with an ax to grind if I was to come on too strong.

It’s amazing how much our generation likes to dance around playing patty cake instead of just being straightforward and honest.

No, be a man and just ask her out. This plan is a great way to put yourself in the friend zone from the get go.

I think we've all seen in the news what "being a man" gets you if you read the signals wrong. FFS Al Franken just got kicked out of the senate for kissing a woman without her consent! That could be this guy if he's not careful. Hell it could be any of us...

Reactions: 2 users
I think we've all seen in the news what "being a man" gets you if you read the signals wrong. FFS Al Franken just got kicked out of the senate for kissing a woman without her consent! That could be this guy if he's not careful. Hell it could be any of us..

That’s why you just ask her out on a date. If you beat around the bush and she says yes and thinks she is just getting drinks with a coworker but you’re over here thinking she’s into you, that’s how you get into trouble. I never said walk up and plant her with a kiss, I said walk up to her and ask her out like a man. If you ask her out on a date (you use that exact term) and she says yes, then she knows going into it that you are pursuing something romantic. If she says no then you have your answer and that’s the end of it.

Reactions: 11 users

Honestly I'd rather have neither than have a nurse with an ax to grind if I was to come on too strong.

I think we've all seen in the news what "being a man" gets you if you read the signals wrong. FFS Al Franken just got kicked out of the senate for kissing a woman without her consent! That could be this guy if he's not careful. Hell it could be any of us...

A standalone kiss didn't bring Franken down. Unless OP's plotting a gropey photo shoot while she's asleep, he'll make it out the other side.

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone suggesting having a conversation with her?? Might want to get to know her a little bit before jumping straight to asking her out. Maybe she is looking at you because you are funny looking? No offense but you never know..

Reactions: 5 users
I know I’ve been out of the game a while but do you all really not just ask a girl on a date anymore? It seems so much simpler for both parties

Reactions: 11 users
I know I’ve been out of the game a while but do you all really not just ask a girl on a date anymore? It seems so much simpler for both parties

Asking a girl on a date is considered a microaggression.

Reactions: 28 users
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're asking about potential work conflicts, not how to actually ask a woman on a date.

Nurses at my med school looked down on med students, I don't think I ever saw an opening, but if you think you're reading her correctly, go for it. To me, it all depends on how much time you have left and how big the hospital is. In a small residency program I'd never date within the program (residents, nurses, or staff). My intern year? Dated 6 nurses and wish I could do it over again. I knew I was leaving in a year, it was a huge hospital with tons of cute single RNs everywhere, so there was little downside. No call-room hookups, though. That's one box that sadly went unchecked.

These days if you look at a woman it’s sexual harassment. I wouldn’t risk your career on talking to this person

These days if you look at a woman it’s sexual harassment. I wouldn’t risk your career on talking to this person
I mean I know the thread is full of joking, but it isn't even remotely harassment to ask someone, once to dinner....particularly if you are in no way a supervisor.

It's actually a good argument for being up front and succinct

Reactions: 8 users
I mean I know the thread is full of joking, but it isn't even remotely harassment to ask someone, once to dinner....particularly if you are in no way a supervisor.

It's actually a good argument for being up front and succinct
Not sure. In 2040 it will be sexual harassment and you’ll easily be fired for your past crimes

Reactions: 4 users

If you're worried about being the next franken, don't kiss her after she says don't kiss me. You'll be ok

Women are like wolves. If you want a wolf, you have to trap it. Snare it. Then to keep it happy, you have to tame it. Feed it, care for it. Lovingly. The way an animal deserves to be loved.

Reactions: 12 users
Women are like wolves. If you want a wolf, you have to trap it. Snare it. Then to keep it happy, you have to tame it. Feed it, care for it. Lovingly. The way an animal deserves to be loved.

Then one day while you're sleeping the wolf eats you because its still a wolf after all

So many SDN feminist extremists are being triggered as they read this comment. I, on the other hand, am dying of laughter.

LMAO

Better to just go for the stray dog that follows you home. May require some more grooming up front, but most likely going to love you forever

We're going to get banned for this just watch lol

That’s why you just ask her out on a date. If you beat around the bush and she says yes and thinks she is just getting drinks with a coworker but you’re over here thinking she’s into you, that’s how you get into trouble. I never said walk up and plant her with a kiss, I said walk up to her and ask her out like a man. If you ask her out on a date (you use that exact term) and she says yes, then she knows going into it that you are pursuing something romantic. If she says no then you have your answer and that’s the end of it.

Sounds reasonable, that must mean its sexual harassment...

A standalone kiss didn't bring Franken down. Unless OP's plotting a gropey photo shoot while she's asleep, he'll make it out the other side.

True, hopefully.

If you're worried about being the next franken, don't kiss her after she says don't kiss me. You'll be ok

The issue becomes once you make a move you have no way of controlling how the other person "feels", which apparently is all it takes these days to ruin lives and careers...

First thing you gotta get a muzzle.

Haven’t looked at a woman in one year, been told it’s wrong

Thats what it feels like these days...

Reactions: 1 users

Oh jeez, the "me too" movement is going to make even more people less masculine. :-/

The issue becomes once you make a move you have no way of controlling how the other person "feels", which apparently is all it takes these days to ruin lives and careers...
That's not what happened though. What happened was

Franken: "we should practice the kiss for the skit"
Tweeden: "no let's not"
Repeat a few times
Franken: kiss her anyway
franken: be an ass to tweeden for the rest of the tour

This is a hilarious thread though.

Go up to her and say "damn, tanner staging didn't miss you at all!" then proceed to ask her if she ever had prepatellar bursitis before.

ask her to get a drink. If she seems weary, then say you meant "something to drink" like a casual beverage like coffee. If a girl doesn't even want to get coffee with you, she definitely doesn't want anything romantic and/or sexual with you. If she says yes to the initial offer, then she DTF

no, coffee with someone from work is not a definite DTF

girls will certainly do this just to collect beta male coworker admirers

Reactions: 6 users

Christ, this is so easy. If you are sure she doesn't eval you (besides filing a complaint as all nurses can), then closer to the end of your rotation, just tell her that you're going off rotation but before you do you would like to know if she'd like to go out for a drink and get to know each other better. If she seems interested, give her your number.

This will be fine as long as you do it exactly like this.

If you end up getting rejected you can bet every nurse on the floor will know about it. If it's anything like my hospital, word will reach every subsequent group of students as well. I'm with QueenJames on this one.

Everyone will know, and most will likely just admire your bravery. Some will seethe with jealousy for same or other reasons.

Otherwise it's just idle interpersonal gossip, which people in healthcare eat up like cotton candy, since otherwise, everyone has to walk around pretending like they have a giant professionalism-flavored stick in their ass, unless of course they actually do, and many do.

Beyond breaking up the day and looking like a pimp, turning some on and others off, I don't see any disastrous consequences unless something ridiculous happens in this maneuver.

Oh jeez, the "me too" movement is going to make even more people less masculine. :-/

1000000%

That's not what happened though. What happened was

Franken: "we should practice the kiss for the skit"
Tweeden: "no let's not"
Repeat a few times
Franken: kiss her anyway
franken: be an ass to tweeden for the rest of the tour

Yeah, my thing is what happens in a situation where Franken denies it? There was nobody else there but the dude's reputation and career would already have been subjected to destruction. Thats the thing that gets me with all these allegations, we have complex and thorough judicial system in which the burden is on the accuser to prove "guilty without a question of doubt", but here we have people saying things and regardless of the truth the defendant is automatically crucified. Its a goddamn witch hunt.

Christ, this is so easy. If you are sure she doesn't eval you (besides filing a complaint as all nurses can), then closer to the end of your rotation, just tell her that you're going off rotation but before you do you would like to know if she'd like to go out for a drink and get to know each other better. If she seems interested, give her your number.

This will be fine as long as you do it exactly like this.

I like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.