Advice on Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Some Background:
I'm taking my MCAT in May and applying this June for mostly DO schools. I am doing well GPA wise (3.8) but was hoping to get some insight on my extracurricular choices.

So far I have:
600+ hours of non-medical volunteering (Taught english in China and to foreign students in the US, community service/philanthropy director for 2 years for fraternity volunteering with lots of different groups)
150 or so hours of clinical volunteer experience (Pre-Med Hospital volunteering program and patient transport)
40 hours of shadowing in primary care and orthopaedic surgery
3 independent research projects. 2 presentations (One at a United Nations event in Mexico!) Currently I'm working in a cancer research lab and doing my own project.

On to the actual question.
I am currently working as a TA for microbiology lab classes. (Been working there for 2+ years) It's a pretty easy job that allows me time to study and money to pay for gas and school. However, I have a CNA license I got 2 years ago that will expire in March if I don't get hours working as one.

With my extracurriculars I already have, do you think I should quit my TA job in favor of getting a CNA job for more clinical hours before applying in June, or is 150 hours sufficient and I should instead keep my current job and focus on MCAT study?

I apologize if this is a convoluted question. I'm super tired from studying and class all day haha. I appreciate any advice you all can give.

Best

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would not quit the TA job. It seems like the TA jobs helps you a lot more in terms of giving you a better life right now (allowing you study, getting well paid, etc). The CNA job will pay less and will take time away from other important things that you should focus on like school. If you want some more hours, you can always volunteer at the hospital again from once a week to once a month to get the hours. Personally, if anything, I would recommend more shadowing hours. Try and shadow a few doctors in different specialties (to show med schools that you're open minded to the whole medical field), but stick with one long term so you can get a letter of rec from them. If you want to apply to DO school, some of them will want DO letters of rec. If you can find a DO doc to shadow, that's a bonus!

Reactions: 1 user
Anything that will impact your plans to study for the MCAT, drop it ... don't think twice about it. It doesn't matter what it is, if you think for a second that taking the CNA job will hinder your prep for the MCAT then don't do it. As far as your ECs, your trip to China is unique and the amount of hours you have are solid. If the shadowing hours you had included a DO then you're good to go, if not then try to shadow a DO before the cycle starts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting a bad MCAT score could ruin an otherwise strong application. Taking the CNA job isn't going to add nearly as much to your application as a poor MCAT would take away. Your ECs look pretty solid already and your GPA is great for DO schools.

You could always take a CNA job after your MCAT, they you will have something to update your applications with later. Good luck with your MCAT prep.

Which would you rather see on an app, strong MCAT score or an additional amount of clinical hours added to the ones you already have?

Your answer to that question is the answer you are seeking.

I appreciate you all for helping me put it all in perspective. You've been very helpful! Thanks!