Advice on whether to continue pre med track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bugaboo884

Reaction score
I failed Ochem last quarter (just barely) and retook it this quarter. Everything was going super well until the coronavirus pandemic happened (for more context finals were put online and to deter cheating they made the final longer and harder). I'm pretty sure I failed the final and thus the class. Should I just give up on ever being a doctor at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Heck no! Ochem sucks for pretty much everybody. It's a necessary evil that we all have to overcome. If you really feel that medicine is your calling, don't let one class deter you from it. Be stubborn with the pursuit, but flexible with the path. Keep doing your absolute best, take the class again if you have to, pass, and make sure you able to articulate what you learned from the experience.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, OP. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I would take this time to take a step back and take a breather. Ask yourself these questions:

1.) Do you want to be a doctor?
2.) Why do you want to be a doctor?
3.) Why did you do poorly in Orgo these past two quarters? Was it poor time management skills? Or did you encounter a myriad of personal/family problems? Or was it a structural issue, such as a lack of resources (i.e., office hours, tutoring services)?

I would also encourage you to reach out to your professor if you feel comfortable and ask for targeted feedback. I would also encourage you to reach out to your pre health advisor to address the larger scheme questions about wanting to be a doctor. PM me if you wish to talk more.

EDIT: Also, Orgo is tough; no one is disputing this.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have several separate questions to be asking:

1) Are you still capable of gaining admission? (This is the most important question and can probably be answered only by people with intimate knowledge of the admission process)
--- you have to consider your other grades as well as OChem. You also need to consider why you failed, and if that problem can be remedied by behavioral changes in future courses.
--- what would be your most likely route and destination? (i.e. post-bacc? MD? DO? Carribean (not recommended)?)
--- SDN is helpful for answering this question. If your school has a premed advisor that would probably be your best resource.
2) Do you still want to pursue medicine given:
--- likelihood of admission
--- requirements for admission (i.e. volunteering, taking courses you might not like)
--- rigors of medical school and residency (7+ years of lots of work with little pay, followed by a very busy work life)
--- opportunity costs - you probably can still pursue engineering, computer science, or anything else. Are you sure medicine is what you want? These other careers could potentially have you making money and functioning as a productive person in a few years. With medicine you are looking at around 10 years.

No lol I had to retake Ochem 2 and was accepted into a top school. It happens. Just ace the class when you retake it, keep up your GPA, and you’ll be golden