Alabama Med Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharkfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I just joined; I have no idea how I managed to go so long without knowing about SDN!

I am a resident of Alabama, and was wondering if anyone has any good/worthwhile info on the University of South Alabama College of Medicine in Mobile and the University of Alabama School of Medicine (UAB) in Birmingham. I am hoping that I will have to choose between these two schools (gotta love in-state tuition) and would like all the help I can get! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply to South Alabama, but I'll probably be attending UAB in the fall. I have acceptances to a couple other schools, but UAB has come out on top so far. Excellent reputation, low cost for in-state students, etc. Send me a private message if you have specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are lucky enough to get interviews and acceptances at both places, then you will probably be able to make your decision based on your interview-day experiences. Stay with a med student in Birmingham and you will find out even more.

If you interview at UAB, it is worth visiting Huntsville and/or Tuscaloosa on the following day to find out whether you want to do your third-year rotations there (you have to decide after the interview). Talk to the students there too, for a different view from the B'ham students.

Anyone know when both schools stop interviewing?

I'm bored. So I tried to find the info on the web.

South finishes interviews by March 15th. Final round of acceptances go out soon after, alternates notified by end of April.

I couldn't find a #$@! thing on UAB's website. Aggravating. You might try e-mailing them; they usually respond within a week.

Hope that helps. I tried. :laugh:

IF YOU LIKE THE CLASSIC SOUTH, THEN YOU'LL LIKE SOUTH ALABAMA. IF YOU LIKE THE "NEW" SOUTH, THEN YOU'LL LIKE UAB. THE TWO SCHOOLS ARE IN TOTALLY DIFFERENT LOCATIONS TOO. IF YOU WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL WITH A REAL CAMPUS IN A SAFE AREA, THEN GO TO USA. IF YOU'RE MORE DRIVEN BY THE NAME, THEN UAB WOULD BE BETTER. MORE PEOPLE WHO GO TO UAB WENT TO PRIVATE TOP SCHOOLS UP NORTH FOR UNDERGRAD, SO YOU SHOULD LOOK AT WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE YOU WANT TO BE IN CLASS WITH, AND WHERE YOU CAN STAND OUT. BOTH SCHOOLS ARE GOOD THOUGH. I LIKE MOBILE BETTER, HOWEVER, CUZ ITS LOCATION AND SMALLER CLASS SIZE.