2023-2024 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Alabama Secondary Essay Prompts

State of Residence Section:
1. Non-Alabama Resident with Ties to Alabama: Describe any ties or meaningful experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center (1500 characters)

2. All Applicants: if the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain (1500 characters)

Essay Section:

3. Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now? (750 characters)

4. Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the learning environment for your classmates. (750 characters)

5. Describe a patient interaction with the healthcare system. This could be a direct patient observation (in person or virtual) during a shadowing/clinical experience or a personal experience within the healthcare system. What did you learn from this experience? (750 characters)

6. Describe a fulfilling or challenging community service experience and how you grew personally from the experience. (750 characters)

7. UAB Medicine provides quality health care and compassionate service to every patient, every time, regardless of their individual differences or circumstances. Our academic medical center attracts patients from across the world who represent many cultures, religions, lifestyles, and economic backgrounds. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment? (750 characters)

8. (OPTIONAL): Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients. (750 characters)

9. (OPTIONAL): Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application. (750 characters)

Additional Experiences Section:

10. You have a separate page to add any experiences that you did not have listed on your AMCAS application

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@wysdoc here are the secondary prompts:

State of Residence Section:
1. Non-Alabama Resident with Ties to Alabama: Describe any ties or meaningful experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center (1500 characters)

2. All Applicants: if the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain (1500 characters)

Essay Section:
3. Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now? (750 characters)

4. Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the learning environment for your classmates. (750 characters)

5. Describe a patient interaction with the healthcare system. This could be a direct patient observation (in person or virtual) during a shadowing/clinical experience or a personal experience within the healthcare system. What did you learn from this experience? (750 characters)

6. Describe a fulfilling or challenging community service experience and how you grew personally from the experience. (750 characters)

7. UAB Medicine provides quality health care and compassionate service to every patient, every time, regardless of their individual differences or circumstances. Our academic medical center attracts patients from across the world who represent many cultures, religions, lifestyles, and economic backgrounds. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment? (750 characters)

8. OPTIONAL: Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients. (750 characters)

9. OPTIONAL: Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application. (750 characters)

Additional Experiences Section:
10. You have a separate page to add any experiences that you did not have listed on your AMCAS application

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received 12:21 EST

8. OPTIONAL: Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients. (750 characters)

Having trouble differentiating what these two questions are asking.

Having trouble differentiating what these two questions are asking.
7 is an essay why you want to work with diverse and often marginalized populations. Do you have any experiences with underserved or ethnic minority patients? Why do you want to serve these populations?

8 is more of a traditional diversity essay, but more so limited to your own identity (rather than experiences like is the case for their other diversity essay).

Members don't see this ad :)
Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the learning environment for your classmates.

UAB Medicine provides quality health care and compassionate service to every patient, every time, regardless of their individual differences or circumstances. Our academic medical center attracts patients from across the world who represent many cultures, religions, lifestyles, and economic backgrounds. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment?

Are these not essentially the exact same thing? The second question is just a little more wordy.

Reactions: 1 user
Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the learning environment for your classmates.

UAB Medicine provides quality health care and compassionate service to every patient, every time, regardless of their individual differences or circumstances. Our academic medical center attracts patients from across the world who represent many cultures, religions, lifestyles, and economic backgrounds. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment?

Are these not essentially the exact same thing? The second question is just a little more wordy.
I'm thinking maybe the second one you could talk a little bit more about UAB and what it offers, and in the first one talk more about yourself?

Current M4 here on an away rotation and I must say UAB is amazing. If you have the chance to attend then pick this school. I will be doing everything I can to attend residency here. It blows my MD school out of the water. Great city, huge hospital, and many diverse and interesting cases to see.

Current M4 here on an away rotation and I must say UAB is amazing. If you have the chance to attend then pick this school. I will be doing everything I can to attend residency here. It blows my MD school out of the water. Great city, huge hospital, and many diverse and interesting cases to see.
vital question. how far from the med school is the nearest waffle house

Reactions: 1 users
vital question. how far from the med school is the nearest waffle house
Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 4.54.20 PM.png

Your waffle needs will be met, @chazzamd

with this prompt, I am kind of unsure what they are asking, what do I say if both areas are mostly the same.

with this prompt, I am kind of unsure what they are asking, what do I say if both areas are mostly the same.
if you've moved around different states you should answer this prompt. if you've moved neighborhoods or cities in the same state I think you're fine. I'm pretty sure this is just a residency question for OOS/IS

MSTP R this morning (submitted 7/23). Crazy how bad the regular MD program wants me 🙄

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
OOS Pre secondary R. Haven’t even taken MCAT yet 🤷🏾‍♀️😂

Last edited:
  • Care
I just submitted my secondary, RD. How long after submission of the secondary application do they offer II/R?

I just submitted my secondary, RD. How long after submission of the secondary application do they offer II/R?
For MSTP, I submitted 8/9 and have not heard anything, but someone that submitted 8/7 got an II not sure about MD.

These "competitive applicant" webinar emails got me geeking. If i'm such a competitive applicant just give me that interview 🥱