This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgad1

Reaction score
Hello SDN. I am a pre-med biology major at the University of Central Arkansas. I am going into my second year of pre-med and would just like to run some stuff by all of you. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1. I had a lot of dual credit in high school, so I decided to take a semester to acquire various certifications that would allow me to work in a clinical setting. During one semester I received a CNA, Patient Care Technician, EKG Technician, and Phlebotomy Technician certifications. I have used these certifications to work in a hospital emergency room, where I have gained 500+ clinical experience hours. Even if I do not get into medical school, I still value this experience greatly. It has really shaped me. However, I was wondering if these certifications and experience with these certifications would help set me apart from other applicants in any way?

2. I took a lot of dual credit in high school, and to make a long story short, I was under my impression that my dual credit GPA would just go away once I graduated. I now know this is not the case, but it hurt my GPA a bit. I expect to graduate with a GPA in the 3.45-3.65 area. Will this be a major issue?

3. I plan to get my Masters of Public Health (MPH) before attending medical school. I see it as my way of understanding as much of the health care system as I can. I have worked at the bottom of the clinical staff, and getting this MPH will allow me to gain another look at the system from a different perspective. I think that for me to do the most good that I can as a physician one day, a very adept understanding of the system as a whole will certainly help. Is this reasoning flawed? Is getting the MPH a waste of time? Does an MPH look good on a medical school application?

4. I am coming from a very mediocre school. I grew up in a town that has less that 2,000 people in it, and then I am going to a possibly subpar university for my undergraduate. Will this be thought of negatively on a medical school application.

5. I have yet to take the MCAT, and I do understand that that will be a big deciding factor in my future, and I do plan on doing some research in the near future. However, for right now I have put together a list of schools I plan on applying to. Could someone tell me if it is reasonable or not? I know that is difficult without an MCAT score, but just in concept. Here is my list in no particular order:

Tulane
Drexel
Tufts
New York Medical College
Dartmouth
Rutgers
University of Arizona
UT HSC San Antonio
USC Keck

I have also picked out several DO schools I will apply to as well. Some of the schools on my list are more hopeful and less probable than others, but is overall reasonable? Also, I am a Texas resident.

I thank anyone who responds and provides insight for their time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN. I am a pre-med biology major at the University of Central Arkansas. I am going into my second year of pre-med and would just like to run some stuff by all of you. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1. I had a lot of dual credit in high school, so I decided to take a semester to acquire various certifications that would allow me to work in a clinical setting. During one semester I received a CNA, Patient Care Technician, EKG Technician, and Phlebotomy Technician certifications. I have used these certifications to work in a hospital emergency room, where I have gained 500+ clinical experience hours. Even if I do not get into medical school, I still value this experience greatly. It has really shaped me. However, I was wondering if these certifications and experience with these certifications would help set me apart from other applicants in any way?

2. I took a lot of dual credit in high school, and to make a long story short, I was under my impression that my dual credit GPA would just go away once I graduated. I now know this is not the case, but it hurt my GPA a bit. I expect to graduate with a GPA in the 3.45-3.65 area. Will this be a major issue?

3. I plan to get my Masters of Public Health (MPH) before attending medical school. I see it as my way of understanding as much of the health care system as I can. I have worked at the bottom of the clinical staff, and getting this MPH will allow me to gain another look at the system from a different perspective. I think that for me to do the most good that I can as a physician one day, a very adept understanding of the system as a whole will certainly help. Is this reasoning flawed?
a) Is getting the MPH a waste of time?
b) Does an MPH look good on a medical school application?

4. I am coming from a very mediocre school. I grew up in a town that has less that 2,000 people in it, and then I am going to a possibly subpar university for my undergraduate. Will this be thought of negatively on a medical school application.

5. I have yet to take the MCAT, and I do understand that that will be a big deciding factor in my future, and I do plan on doing some research in the near future. However, for right now I have put together a list of schools I plan on applying to. Could someone tell me if it is reasonable or not? I know that is difficult without an MCAT score, but just in concept. Here is my list in no particular order:

Tulane
Drexel
Tufts
New York Medical College
Dartmouth
Rutgers
University of Arizona
UT HSC San Antonio
USC Keck

I have also picked out several DO schools I will apply to as well. Some of the schools on my list are more hopeful and less probable than others, but is overall reasonable? Also, I am a Texas resident.

1) No. They are of value only in that they allowed you do perform certain patient-related tasks in your place of employment or volunteering.

2) A 3.65 is fine for MD school applications. A 3.45, not so much. But a steep upward grade trend since the HS years can be very reassuring to adcomms that you have what it takes to succeed.

3) a. It is of value if you gain the knowledge you hope for.
3 ) b. An MPH will have little impact on med school applications, nor will any other traditional masters program. It will "look good" on residency applications, though. If the MPH program comes with teaching and research opportunities, those will add appeal to a med school application.

4) Not if you excel academically there and get a decently high MCAT score to demonstrate the rigor of your coursework (as well as the usual and customary ECs). Coming from a tiny rural town may be seen as a positive, as it makes you diverse.

5) A Texas resident often gets little traction at non-TMDSAS schools, unless their stats are high enough to qualify for hefty scholarships. Outside schools know you're unlikely to attend when the tuition in Texas is so low.

1) No. They are of value only in that they allowed you do perform certain patient-related tasks in your place of employment or volunteering.

2) A 3.65 is fine for MD school applications. A 3.45, not so much. But a steep upward grade trend since the HS years can be very reassuring to adcomms that you have what it takes to succeed.

3) a. It is of value if you gain the knowledge you hope for.
3 ) b. An MPH will have little impact on med school applications, nor will any other traditional masters program. It will "look good" on residency applications, though. If the MPH program comes with teaching and research opportunities, those will add appeal to a med school application.

4) Not if you excel academically there and get a decently high MCAT score to demonstrate the rigor of your coursework (as well as the usual and customary ECs). Coming from a tiny rural town may be seen as a positive, as it makes you diverse.

5) A Texas resident often gets little traction at non-TMDSAS schools, unless their stats are high enough to qualify for hefty scholarships. Outside schools know you're unlikely to attend when the tuition in Texas is so low.
Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're welcome.
Also, I have been heavily considering doing the military route (HPSP). My family has a long line of military, and I would like to serve my country as well. Could this be taken as a negative for any medical schools?

Also, I have been heavily considering doing the military route (HPSP). My family has a long line of military, and I would like to serve my country as well. Could this be taken as a negative for any medical schools?
I doubt it, but let's ask someone with practical experience: @Matthew9Thirtyfive

I doubt it, but let's ask someone with practical experience: @Matthew9Thirtyfive
Great. Thank you!

In my conversations with adcoms about HPSP, it is viewed as a positive. It is guaranteed money for the school and shows a commitment to service. At schools that have a really strong dedication to serving their communities, the idea that you will be definitely leaving after school may be a small negative, but even ETSU which is super all about training TN residents looks at HPSPers in a positive light.

ETA: don’t expect it to give you a boost or anything, but it isn’t likely to hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
All or almost all of the MD schools you've listed also offer the opportunity to do MD together with MPH. This provides an opportunity to build what you are learning in one to inform the other and create synergies that really aren't as evident when you do the MPH first. Consider that as an option. It can also be less costly then doing them separately and you may be able to get the HPSP scholarship to pay for both.

3. I plan to get my Masters of Public Health (MPH) before attending medical school. I see it as my way of understanding as much of the health care system as I can. I have worked at the bottom of the clinical staff, and getting this MPH will allow me to gain another look at the system from a different perspective. I think that for me to do the most good that I can as a physician one day, a very adept understanding of the system as a whole will certainly help. Is this reasoning flawed? Is getting the MPH a waste of time? Does an MPH look good on a medical school application?

Tulane
Drexel
Tufts
New York Medical College
Dartmouth
Rutgers
University of Arizona
UT HSC San Antonio
USC Keck

I am curious why you didn't include other Texas schools in your list.

I am curious why you didn't include other Texas schools in your list.[/QUOTo
To put it frankly, I am a little tired of Texas for the most part. I just thought if I could go somewhere else, it would be nice to. But I will probably end up applying to some just in case. I know that isn't just the greatest reason, but I see it as I am only going to get to do this once, so why not try to get a little more out of it? Which, I know that might be a little greedy, but it's just a thought.

That crossed my mind as well. And UArkansas as well.
To put it frankly, I am a little tired of Texas for the most part. I just thought if I could go somewhere else, it would be nice to. But I will probably end up applying to some just in case. I know that isn't just the greatest reason, but I see it as I am only going to get to do this once, so why not try to get a little more out of it? Which, I know that might be a little greedy, but it's just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
All or almost all of the MD schools you've listed also offer the opportunity to do MD together with MPH. This provides an opportunity to build what you are learning in one to inform the other and create synergies that really aren't as evident when you do the MPH first. Consider that as an option. It can also be less costly then doing them separately and you may be able to get the HPSP scholarship to pay for both.
I suppose that is true. I did consider it, but I guess I just got a little worried about trying to balance the MD, MPH, and the Officer Training and things like that I would be doing for HPSP. But you have an excellent point. I will have to think about that more. Thank you!

That crossed my mind as well. And UArkansas as well.
I don't really know. Is that too unrealistic or impractical? I know "I don't really like Texas," isn't the best answer, but honestly, it feels like all of the doctors who end up going to medical school in Texas end up back at their home town in Texas or near it, and they never really leave. At the hospital I work at, probably 75% of the doctors that work there were from this general area, went to UT HSC, Texas Tech, A&M, etc., and then just end up right back here. It just seems like it is so difficult to get out of this area, so maybe this is where I could do it? It is just a little difficult to get a sense of independence when your parents, grandparents, and siblings, all live in a 30 mile radius. But perhaps I am sounding too spoiled? I really don't know.

I don't really know. Is that too unrealistic or impractical? I know "I don't really like Texas," isn't the best answer, but honestly, it feels like all of the doctors who end up going to medical school in Texas end up back at their home town in Texas or near it, and they never really leave. At the hospital I work at, probably 75% of the doctors that work there were from this general area, went to UT HSC, Texas Tech, A&M, etc., and then just end up right back here. It just seems like it is so difficult to get out of this area, so maybe this is where I could do it? It is just a little difficult to get a sense of independence when your parents, grandparents, and siblings, all live in a 30 mile radius. But perhaps I am sounding too spoiled? I really don't know.
Referring back to item 5 in post#2, yes, it's unrealistic for you to not to apply in your home state. Unless you want to take an extra year to establish residency in another state (also not always a sure-fire solution) or you're a super-star applicant.

Referring back to item 5 in post#2, yes, it's unrealistic for you to not to apply in your home state. Unless you want to take an extra year to establish residency in another state (also not always a sure-fire solution) or you're a super-star applicant.
I could establish an Arkansas residency. However, I don't know if that would give me more or less traction. It kind of feels like the only place I could go if I had an Arkansas residency would be UAMS, and my other options are limited. I am however, living in a county that is contiguous with both Arkansas and Louisiana. I know that affects undergrad, but I'm not sure the effects it has on medical school. Are there any out of stat schools that I could theoretically have a decent shot at? Also, I would like to thank you really quick for responding to my posts. There is still so much I do not know. Dr. Google can only tell me so much. So thank you.

I understand where you are coming from, however just because you know of a lot of people who chose to stay in Texas after attending medical school here doesn't mean you will be excluded from completing residency/practicing outside of Texas. Your goal at the moment is to do well enough in undergrad studies and on the MCAT to get into medical school. Check out some of the match lists for Texas schools to get an idea of where students are going for residency and compare how many are leaving Texas to complete their training - you might be surprised.

And when application time comes around, the TMDSAS primary fee of $150 covers applying to all public Texas schools. People talk about applying to medical school as a numbers game, and that's just a deal you can't beat, especially considering the multiple Texas schools with either no secondary application or a free secondary application.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand where you are coming from, however just because you know of a lot of people who chose to stay in Texas after attending medical school here doesn't mean you will be excluded from completing residency/practicing outside of Texas. Your goal at the moment is to do well enough in undergrad studies and on the MCAT to get into medical school. Check out some of the match lists for Texas schools to get an idea of where students are going for residency and compare how many are leaving Texas to complete their training - you might be surprised.

And when application time comes around, the TMDSAS primary fee of $150 covers applying to all public Texas schools. People talk about applying to medical school as a numbers game, and that's just a deal you can't beat, especially considering the multiple Texas schools with either no secondary application or a free secondary application.
That is very true. I do wish to go into the military, and do a military residency, so it might be a little different. I guess I just get concerned. Thank you for your input.

That's a better question to ask after you know your application stats. As of right now, I'd say you have a good shot at many of the DO med schools.
[/QUOTE]
If I do do the HPSP (which I entirely plan to either way), would that help soften the issue of my Texas residency at all? Also, I do have a list of about 7 DO schools I plan on applying to, but will DO schools be less likely to accept me if I apply to MD and DO schools? I've read that in interviews they often ask if you have applied to both.

That is very true. I do wish to go into the military, and do a military residency, so it might be a little different. I guess I just get concerned. Thank you for your input.

Just FYI, HPSP students are not guaranteed military residency spots. You might get one, but USUHS grads are legally guaranteed military spots. So if it comes down to it, you may still have to go to a civilian program.

1) If I do do the HPSP (which I entirely plan to either way), would that help soften the issue of my Texas residency at all?
2) Also, I do have a list of about 7 DO schools I plan on applying to, but will DO schools be less likely to accept me if I apply to MD and DO schools? I've read that in interviews they often ask if you have applied to both.
1) I cannot answer authoritatively.
2) DO schools know many of their applicants will try to get into an MD school if they can, and accept that.

Last edited:
Just FYI, HPSP students are not guaranteed military residency spots. You might get one, but USUHS grads are legally guaranteed military spots. So if it comes down to it, you may still have to go to a civilian program.
Ohh. I didn't know that. Thank you. I guess I hope to get into a military residency then.

1) I cannot answer authoritatively.
2) DO schools know many of their applicants will try to get into an MD school if you can, and accept that.
Okay. Thank you for all of your help.

I suppose that is true. I did consider it, but I guess I just got a little worried about trying to balance the MD, MPH, and the Officer Training and things like that I would be doing for HPSP. But you have an excellent point. I will have to think about that more. Thank you!

I know HPSP MD students who have done it and made it look easy. :) It is also possible to do the MPH during a fellowship and possible to get it paid for, too.

I know HPSP MD students who have done it and made it look easy. :) It is also possible to do the MPH during a fellowship and possible to get it paid for, too.
Great to know. Thank you!

Do you by any chance know of any OOS medical schools that I could still be competitive at (providing my stats are good enough) even as a Texas resident? I understand that IS medical schools are cheaper for Texas residents, and it makes OOS schools more hesitant, but if I do the HPSP, could that soften that at all, since finances won't be as big of deal?

Other than ODS/COT/whatever the hell the army calls it, there really isn’t much military stuff for hpspers to do lol.

Do you by any chance know of any OOS medical schools that I could still be competitive at (providing my stats are good enough) even as a Texas resident? I understand that IS medical schools are cheaper for Texas residents, and it makes OOS schools more hesitant, but if I do the HPSP, could that soften that at all, since finances won't be as big of deal?

You can't really say where you will be competitive until you have an MCAT and have a better idea of your college-only GPA as well as over-all GPA.

Just make sure to apply to all Texas schools as it's one fee anyway. Believe me I get your desire to move but you will be kicking yourself if you don't get an acceptance OOS and have to wonder what if. I doubt residencies have the same degree of avoidance for people coming from Texas med schools.

Just make sure to apply to all Texas schools as it's one fee anyway. Believe me I get your desire to move but you will be kicking yourself if you don't get an acceptance OOS and have to wonder what if. I doubt residencies have the same degree of avoidance for people coming from Texas med schools.
I have been looking into it more. I think I will apply to almost all of the Texas medical schools. They aren't all ideal, but at the end of the day, I just want to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
I was under the impression that it is difficult to take extra years (ie for an mph or research) when on HPSP. Is that not the case?