General Admissions & OTCAS Am I gonna get into OT school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureOT813

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
University: University of Tampa (going into senior year)
Major: Allied Health
Overall GPA: 3.35 - might be slightly lower on OTCAS not sure (3.25 ish on OTCAS?)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.6 (depending on school)
Last 60 Credit Hours so far GPA: 3.51
GRE: Q:153 V:143 :( AW: 4.0

Extra-Curric: President of Order of Omega Greek Honor Society, Vice President of OT club, Competition Officer for HOSA, Member of Sorority, Director of Public Relations of my Sorority, Director of Senior Programming for my Sorority, Over 60 hours of community service through my sorority, 3 years of working at a Children's Day Camp, College Cheerleader (Freshman Year)

Shadowing/Observation Hours: (141 hours in total) 50 hours of School-based OT, 36 Hours of Hand Therapy OT, 40 hours of Pediatric Outpatient OT, 7 hours in a pediatric hospital setting OT, 8 hours at a rehabilitation outpatient clinic

Letters of Rec: 2 OT's (Hand Therapist and Pediatric OT), 1 anatomy professor, 1 from the head chair of allied health science (professor)

Applying to: Gannon University, Nova Southeastern (Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale), FGCU, St. Augustine, St. Augustine in MIAMI, Adventist University of Health Science, Columbia, Hofstra, Seton Hall, Stony Brook, and Stockton

Also, I received a C in Physics do you think that hurt my chances and GPA

I know my GPA could be higher but I had a rough first semester in college. Any way of improving my stats before applying??? Is there any chance of me getting into any of these schools????

Members don't see this ad.

HEY wow I have very similar stats! My first semester was rocky and I had an F in applied anatomy. So my cumulative GPA is a 3.27 but my last 60 was a 3.68. Its unfortunate but universities understand how hard it is for freshman and that things happen. I'd say all you can do to improve would be having an awesome and compelling personal statement! Good luck!

You have a chance. Yes, your GPA and GRE scores could be higher, but your are doing excellent in all the other areas. The fact that you are involved on campus shows that you are able to successfully manage your time and your responsibilities. As for observation hours, you have a good amount, and, most importantly, you have experience observing a variety of different settings. And, my God, your recommendations are amazing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "C" in Physics because a lot programs don't require Physics. Maybe the programs that you are applying to require it, but Physics is more of a physical therapy prerequisite.

I hope this helps!

The only thing I would recommend would be increasing your GRE Verbal as some schools require a min of 300. If you do that and write a solid personal statement you can get in! As they said above, don't worry too much about the C in physics. Just focus on strengthening those GRE scores. You still have time to take another GRE, try to take one before the end of the year! Best of luck, you're qualified!