Anesthesia Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joysim

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I had a question regarding Anesthesia residencies. So I've garnered that Anesthesia requires an intern year across several different specialties (clinical base year). So my question is, after medical school, does one have to apply to a prelim year in medicine and then apply to another anesthesia residency, or do Anesthesia residencies have built in clinical base years, so you start CA-1 PGY-2 without reapplying?

I apologize if this sounds stupid, but I really couldn't find any answers anywhere. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Both setups exist. One is called categorical and the other advanced.

Some programs like Brigham and Hopkins have both setups so you can choose to do the first year elsewhere or do a medicine year while under the auspices of the anesthesiology department. Some programs like NYU have spots in their medicine program for an intern year. There are also programs such as Washington University and Rochester that have you rotate through surgical services during your clinical base year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both setups exist. One is called categorical and the other advanced.

Some programs like Brigham and Hopkins have both setups so you can choose to do the first year elsewhere or do a medicine year while under the auspices of the anesthesiology department. Some programs like NYU have spots in their medicine program for an intern year. There are also programs such as Washington University and Rochester that have you rotate through surgical services during your clinical base year.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a list of these programs somewhere that separates them from categorical and advanced?

Thanks for the reply. Is there a list of these programs somewhere that separates them from categorical and advanced?

Check departmental websites and FRIEDA. Use google. Also NRMP.

The trend for most programs over the past few years is to convert advanced to categorical spots, as the demand is higher there. Ones that can’t are changing to “R” (Reserved physician) slots for applicants switching specialties, of which there are a ton of quality people each year.